Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

pienipple posted:

the FPR Dilli looks very similar to the Noodler's Konrad, I think they may be made in the same place.

Wut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
They have a lot of very similar design points and I recall hearing that Noodler's pens are made in south asia. :shrug: It's nothing bad, just interesting.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Noodler's pens are made in India. I believe that the only one that "shares a design" with a local pen is the original Flex.

Also, I may have to buy a Neponset when that hits. I'm a sucker for big pens. It's the one between the Ahab and the 330:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Are there *any* good bargain flex pens? I have an Ahab and have been modding it as I learn how to...it is better than when I got it. I guess I don't have a good point of reference for what a good flex is, but I have goonishly watched a lot of flex writing videos and I know that what I have is not anything like a nice wet noodle flex. I guess a dip pen would probably better, but sub 100 dollars is there anything that would be a nice option for a non dip flex pen?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

rio posted:

Are there *any* good bargain flex pens? I have an Ahab and have been modding it as I learn how to...it is better than when I got it. I guess I don't have a good point of reference for what a good flex is, but I have goonishly watched a lot of flex writing videos and I know that what I have is not anything like a nice wet noodle flex. I guess a dip pen would probably better, but sub 100 dollars is there anything that would be a nice option for a non dip flex pen?

Sub-100, you can play the ebay lottery for a vintage pen, and it's usually better to go for pens with lovely descriptions that don't say flex and ask the seller if it flexes to get a decent price. If you want something vintage that's guaranteed to work, I think Greg Minuskin occasionally sells very good restored flex pens on his website for like $120.

In addition, there's peytonstreetpens who sell 1960s Eversharp flex nibs either in the original pen or in a new pen (from broken Eversharp pens), usually sub-100.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Which Lamy nib size would be the most like my Pilot Metropolitan fine nib that I love so much?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

EnsGDT posted:

Which Lamy nib size would be the most like my Pilot Metropolitan fine nib that I love so much?

XF

E: http://www.gouletpens.com/Nib_Nook_s/1114.htm

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 13, 2014

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Well would you look a that! Thanks man.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Which Lamy are you going to get though? The Safari, regardless of nib size, is not going to feel like the Metropolitan.

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
Can someone tell me the primary causes of the Russo-Japanese War?

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

hate pants posted:

You should get a pilot metro.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hate pants posted:

The main one was a religious disagreement over the proper width of a medium nib

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Are any of the Noodler's flex pens worth it? I had an Ahab that was fun, but I ended up tinkering with it more than writing with it. In fact, it was tinkered to death when I accidentally pushed in the feed too far and broke it trying to get it back out. I will probably get another one regardless, but was just wondering if any of them are better than the others.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

rio posted:

Are any of the Noodler's flex pens worth it? I had an Ahab that was fun, but I ended up tinkering with it more than writing with it. In fact, it was tinkered to death when I accidentally pushed in the feed too far and broke it trying to get it back out. I will probably get another one regardless, but was just wondering if any of them are better than the others.

If any are "better" it's going to be based on asthetics (style, colors. etc) or plain old luck-of-the-draw (less fiddling needed).

So basically, no.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

Which Lamy are you going to get though? The Safari, regardless of nib size, is not going to feel like the Metropolitan.

I'm interested in the Bluegreen Al-Star. I'm fine with a different feel. I'm open to feel interpretation haha

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

hate pants posted:

No, but I can tell you who made your avatar.

(Me, over a decade ago.)

Also, Metropolitan.

For Noodler's pens, I like the size and style of the Konrads best, but they leak on me a lot. Ahabs are slightly too big for my hands, and nib creapers are too small. But I've got the least ink on my hands from the Creaper. And I've got the most flex from an ahab.

There is no right answer. I like the Eversharp-nib-in-a-new-body that I got from Peyton Street Pens, but it can be a little sharp.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was looking at the Eversharp/new body pens there. Couldn't decide since I read a couple reviews criticizing the flex of the pens. What do you think of it?

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
What's the best vinegar-to-water ratio for cheap homemade cleaners?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

hate pants posted:

Pilot Metropolitan.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

hate pants posted:

I would think that vinegar would gently caress with the pen parts. You can use ammonia (like a small capful for a pint of water) and a drop or two of dish soap (not the dish washer one, but the one for scrubbing the dishes with), and flush that through.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got some of that discontinued Sailor Jentle ink (specifically grenade, epinard, ultramarine, & sky high) because why the hell not. I'm a little surprised my order processed, I got it from some random website and they told me it was all backordered but it arrived today.

Unfortunately the ink and I are at home and all my pen stuff is at work so I can't use it until Monday. :negative:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 14, 2014

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I got the new ROC TWSBI 580 in yesterday with an EF nib. I was holding out for a green model but it seems that will never come and I always liked the look of the previous ROC model. Also, the Summer "Colors Edition" Field Notes came in today. It's kind of weird having a larger size but, as always, cool stuff.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

RustedChrome posted:

I got the new ROC TWSBI 580 in yesterday with an EF nib.
Oh hell, thanks for posting that! I adore my ROC 540 and have been wanting another because it's had some QC issues and the replacement parts TWSBI provided (free of charge and without question I should add) have changed the way it looks quite a bit.

I also see there's a new Micarta so double score for me, thanks a lot!

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I emailed TWSBI after I got my clear Vac 700 and asked if I could buy a smoke cap for it. He charged me only three dollars, to cover shipping. TWSBI is the best.

Of course now I need to buy a classic mini to match it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

iostream.h posted:

Oh hell, thanks for posting that! I adore my ROC 540 and have been wanting another because it's had some QC issues and the replacement parts TWSBI provided (free of charge and without question I should add) have changed the way it looks quite a bit.

I also see there's a new Micarta so double score for me, thanks a lot!

What is a QC issues.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

dino. posted:

What is a QC issues.

The 530/540 design had a grip section that would crack over time and the metal piece holding the piston mechanism in could cause the body to crack at the back.

Both of these issues where fixed with design changes in the 580. The plunger now screws directly into the body, the piece that connects the grip to the pen is now metal and the plastic part of the grip there spins freely.

There is another potential issue wherein the cap can potentially sheer off right above the threads, but I suspect that's due to over-tightening more than anything.

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
Who is Jerry Seinfeld's target audience?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

hate pants posted:

Who is Jerry Seinfeld's target audience?

Pilot Metropolitan owners.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What's the deal with Japanese nib sizes?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Yesterday, I picked up a Parker Slimfold for little more than a song. I've given the thing a good soak and this morning took the nib and feed out. Upon giving the now-accessible insides of the filler/sac a gentle hosing out - I had an odd piece of rubber pop out - it's cylindrical, about half a mil across and about 65mm long - any ideas?

I wonder if it might be some attempt by Parker at an agitator, or is it just some manufacturing quirk from the sac?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Is it a hollow tube? If so, that's the breather tube to help the air exchange. It should fit in a niche in the back of the feed or into the grip section.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

cobalt impurity posted:

Is it a hollow tube? If so, that's the breather tube to help the air exchange. It should fit in a niche in the back of the feed or into the grip section.

Nah, the breather's right where it should be. It's just this burgundy rubber noodle that was inside the sac for some reason.

I inked it up and it's not misbehaving, so :shrug:.

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
did you know: that you can buy about 100 bic pens for like 8$ and you don't have to use a quill leather imported stainless steel exxon-66c 95 pen with matching attachments and warranty and $500 per liter squid ink to write notes like Jeffrey Could You Please Stop Drinking All The Milk + Geust Bathroom Needs TP thanks Love The Roomies

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

hate pants posted:

did you know: that you can buy about 100 bic pens for like 8$ and you don't have to use a quill leather imported stainless steel exxon-66c 95 pen with matching attachments and warranty and $500 per liter squid ink to write notes like Jeffrey Could You Please Stop Drinking All The Milk + Geust Bathroom Needs TP thanks Love The Roomies

Pilot Metropolitan

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

hate pants posted:

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
goon, sitting down at ikea writing desk, scratching into college ruled paper with a $300 pen hand-assembled that morning from custom made parts: "Thus begins the journal of Alarian Rez'Nik Shadowblade, warrior of the ps4, destroyer of all things good and Anime"

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Nah m8 college rule's for pussies. Us HXC use French rule :kamina:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

hate pants posted:

Lol if you are a pleb using a bic.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

hate pants posted:

also instead of spending money on a computer and an internet connection you can just stand outside and yell out your lovely opinions to an uncaring world for free

this thread is suddenly full of money saving tips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE

Tochiazuma posted:

also instead of spending money on a computer and an internet connection you can just stand outside and yell out your lovely opinions to an uncaring world for free

this thread is suddenly full of money saving tips

instead of using a laptop and a router to access the internet, lets assemble persian titanium ethernet cables connected to a 1.5mgz powerbook adaptor plugged into a golden covered port. ooh my internet is so much faster now. time to write my grocery list!