Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trucutru posted:

Ahaha, YOU FOOL! One of the laws of manga is "do not Read Naoki Urusawa's works until they are over". You hosed up, you hosed up real good.
Eh, still can't be worse than starting and powering through Berserk. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I wish Sekitou Elergy was still updating. I was really getting into it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

That's ok though because after 3-4 years you'll have forgotten some of it and get to do it all over again and pick up 7-8 new chapters.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

The difference is we all know Berserk will never end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

I wish Sekitou Elergy was still updating. I was really getting into it.

Maybe see about bribing Dr_Amazing or Futurecop to translate it :v:

There's 15 volumes left in it and it's so gooooood in only a quarter of it, I want to see where it goes from there. And I want to see what other hideous faces people will have/make.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm a Five Star Stories fan y'all are lightweights nobody is ever gonna translate that poo poo.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah that's because no one wants to translate notes about how humans evolved into animes and now have the perfect jaw structure for slobbing on sopp's effette knob

GGpX
Apr 23, 2014

coathat posted:

There's a new one shot by Igarashi Daisuki http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/umwelt-r12194 it's good.

Glad you liked it. Was hoping to make the scans look a bit better, but eh.

Igarashi Daisuke is one of my favorite authors when it comes to drawing animals & supernatural manga. He's amazing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

I'm a Five Star Stories fan y'all are lightweights nobody is ever gonna translate that poo poo.

because Mamoru Nagano is very bad and nobody wants to give him money to get raws

coathat
May 21, 2007

GGpX posted:

Glad you liked it. Was hoping to make the scans look a bit better, but eh.

Igarashi Daisuke is one of my favorite authors when it comes to drawing animals & supernatural manga. He's amazing.

Thanks for the good work!
He's for sure one of the all time manga greats. I'm really looking forward to the rest of Little Forest.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe see about bribing Dr_Amazing or Futurecop to translate it :v:

There's 15 volumes left in it and it's so gooooood in only a quarter of it, I want to see where it goes from there. And I want to see what other hideous faces people will have/make.

I'd seriously consider donating something to scanlators if it meant getting updates, but I dunno if that is something that people do. Seems like a somewhat murky area (like scanlations in general, I suppose).

I've started Cheese in the Trap btw and I'm enjoying it. I should probably check and see if it has stopped updating before I get too far though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SALT CURES HAM posted:

because Mamoru Nagano is very bad and nobody wants to give him money to get raws
I've heard the stories. I wish he wasn't a jerk because his stuff rocks. :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Chas McGill posted:

I'd seriously consider donating something to scanlators if it meant getting updates, but I dunno if that is something that people do. Seems like a somewhat murky area (like scanlations in general, I suppose).

I've started Cheese in the Trap btw and I'm enjoying it. I should probably check and see if it has stopped updating before I get too far though.

There are definitely people/groups out there who accept money for scanlations, not just in a donations sense but flat out "give me x moneys to buy y volumes of manga and then z more to scanlate them" or whatever. Outside of that there are also people who scanlate on commission. I don't do it myself though so I wouldn't know the rates or how good they are, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

Nah, they're still updating, just slower than they used to. There's been a couple new chapters in the last week or two.

Good to see other people giving it a shot. I personally like the artwork even if it's fairly rough and simple, the faces are very expressive. It's really dramatic, nigh-soap opera at times, but can be really funny too, and MAN are some of those characters just incredibly flawed. It's a little difficult to understand some things due to cultural differences, but overall it's great, and it's neat how the scanlators worked something out with the author so they could get permission to scanlate it and also support the author at the same time(using a plugin to translate it on the actual webcomic's page, rather than copying it and putting it on a manga site).

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah, they're still updating, just slower than they used to. There's been a couple new chapters in the last week or two.

Good to see other people giving it a shot. I personally like the artwork even if it's fairly rough and simple, the faces are very expressive. It's really dramatic, nigh-soap opera at times, but can be really funny too, and MAN are some of those characters just incredibly flawed. It's a little difficult to understand some things due to cultural differences, but overall it's great, and it's neat how the scanlators worked something out with the author so they could get permission to scanlate it and also support the author at the same time(using a plugin to translate it on the actual webcomic's page, rather than copying it and putting it on a manga site).

If you don't mind summaries, Webtoon Live still has someone doing weekly summaries here: http://www.webtoonlive.com/community/citt and the comic is here: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=186811. It's been great, and I'm still not really sure where it's going.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MAAAAAAGICAL~~~

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pierson posted:

I've heard the stories. I wish he wasn't a jerk because his stuff rocks. :(

I haven't. What's up with the guy?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

I haven't. What's up with the guy?
It might be an echo chamber effect from sites basically quoting each other in a big circle, but the way I've heard it is that he has a huge ego, was given chances by friends and associates - Tomino was the only name I recognized - to design/work on their shows, and then turned around and bad-mouthed the poo poo out of them when his stuff didn't get used.

The only one I remember from the top of my head was he did a lot of concept designs for Zeta that were tossed out because they didn't fit the style of the Gundam universe, which is entirely fair because the dude does a lot of very elaborate and super robot-y designs and UC Gundam was a lot more functional and realistic back then, and went a little nuts about it. /m/ knows more but visit 4chan at your peril.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 12, 2014

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

This is some dumb bullshit. Oh no, not cop guy! The only good character.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am pretty sure that the entire point of Magical Girls of the End is to be dumb bullshit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Two new Kaiji chapters.

Link

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've just been sort of bemused at "Mozuya-San"'s more recent chapters lately, but the latest chapter is actually pretty decent. I was quite surprised to learn that the author is a woman; she has a very "masculine" drawing style.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The extra part at the end of 5 about visiting her old college manga club is pretty great.

Also, I never realized she also did that series about VR MMO counseling (with lots of fight scenes.)

EDIT: The last few chapters of Mozuya are all fantastic. Bantarou and his grandmother own. Master M is hilarious.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 14, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New AIKI-S :lol:

With guest artist, Kouto Hirano :v:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Crunchyroll has just put up volumes 11 and 12 of Soremachi. They're amazing. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/soredemo-machi-wa-mawatteiru/volumes

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I love that in the latest chapters of Dorohedoro they do the usual "You can't meet yourself in the past or BAD THINGS MAY HAPPEN" setup and then pages later just go "naw gently caress that".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, looks like a regular group picked up Embalming. That's great, as there is a bunch that hasn't been done.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/250765/embalming-the-another-tale-of-frankenstein_v4_ch20_by_easy-going-scans

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I just realized that the Sentinel arc in Franken Fran was a parody of Kamen Riders.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Another new Maoyuu chapter.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/250854/maoyuu-maou-yuusha-be-mine-hero-i-refuse_ch32_by_for-the-halibut

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Politics, tits, and awkward, awkward romance. Maoyuu has it all. :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Certainly great to see the release schedule bumped up a bit.

It's interesting that the muskets are seemingly not being outfitted for an entire army, but rather just a small band of crusaders. I suppose they don't have the technology (unlike the Three Nations) to mass produce them. It's hard to imagine the Three Nations dealing with a fully equipped musket-army at any rate.

By the way "Red Horse Nation" a pretty great name for a country.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Just yersterday I found a pair of interviews well related to this thread
http://mangabrog.wordpress.com/

The first one has Inio Asano, Taiyo Matsumoto and Keigo Shinzo, the second has Taiyo Matsumoto and Daisuke Igarashi.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I decided to read All You Need Is Kill after seeing Edge of Tomorrow and thinking it was awesome as hell, and uh :stare: holy poo poo I was not expecting that much gore and grimdarkness

Like I knew the ending was different and the movie changed it to be way happier and more Hollywood-y but god loving drat

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Turin Turambar posted:

Just yersterday I found a pair of interviews well related to this thread
http://mangabrog.wordpress.com/

The first one has Inio Asano, Taiyo Matsumoto and Keigo Shinzo, the second has Taiyo Matsumoto and Daisuke Igarashi.

These were great. I especially liked the generation chat between Asano, Matsumoto, and Shinzo.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I think this is the thread that told me about this series, so new Nobunaga no Chef!!

Now I need to actually start the drat thing :negative:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Here's an interesting one, not sure if it's been linked here yet.

The Ancient Magus Bride.

A skull-headed magician from England purchases a human girl on a slave market and takes her to his home to teach her to become his apprentice. I've only read the first chapter, but it looks well-drawn and spooky, and I like the focus on Western folklore, like with "fey folk" and the like.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DrSunshine posted:

The Ancient Magus Bride.

A skull-headed magician from England purchases a human girl on a slave market and takes her to his home to teach her to become his apprentice. I've only read the first chapter, but it looks well-drawn and spooky, and I like the focus on Western folklore, like with "fey folk" and the like.

Hey, the Cats of Ulthar show up in chapter 4! This is pretty great.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

DrSunshine posted:

The Ancient Magus Bride.

Yeah this one showed up in the recommend a manga thread and it's fantastic. Been reading from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I've been reading Immortal Hounds and enjoying it, and then someone recommended Aijn to me on the grounds that it has a very similar premise. How can such similar concepts end up with such varying degrees of quality? Immortal Hounds isn't perfect, but Aijn is just really, really terrible.

They share a number of scenes, similar cold-eyed hardass protagonists, but everything in Aijn reeks of too cool for school shonen E-xtr33m3ness. The protagonist Kei Nagai has basically no agency in his own comic. He has no motivations and no interests, and even his one piece of uniqueness - that he was kinda sorta sometimes sympathetic to humans - was trumped by an actually noble Aijn who was discarded a scene later. Nobody cares about anybody or anything, and all the Aijn are indistinguishably selfish bastards. Was the pitch for this comic "Immortal Space Ayn Rands invade, and we can get rid of them?" I would still chainsaw my way across a puppy minefield to be able to draw that well, but I wish the artist was paired with someone who was better at planning poo poo.

Immortal Hounds has a tendency to lean into melodrama, but the bizarre weirdness to the world and the screwball romance comedy that seems to be kicking in has got my attention.
Both series have a lot of consequence-free violence, but the violence in Aijn makes me feel lovely and root for all the characters to die in a fire. The violence in Hounds is generally almost comedic, but carries pathos when an actual vector death occurs.

Interestingly, Aijn is almost entirely devoid of female characters. There’s a sister ( sickly, kidnapped, hateful ) and an assassin secretary ( demure, deadly, immortal ), but no women who aren’t just bystanders. Immortal Hounds, on the other hand, has multiple female main characters, but dresses them up in highschool uniforms for no particular reason. It’s clearly some kind of fetish thing, but at least the characters wearing them have emotional weight and agency within the story.

Edit: But seriously, read Immortal Hounds.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 26, 2014