Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

what happens when ur special pet db just dies due to a hw failure? or the datacenter goes down?

in the big systems, to a first approximation, total hardware failure doesn't occur. (in the very large systems, even the cpus and memory are redundant.)

when it does happen, you have a secondary. HA in a single datacenter is very easy, even with databases.

when the datacenter goes down, you're in a geographic failover.

Malcolm XML posted:

or _______? or it's been a few years and u now need a 1000TB DB and poo poo that's crazy expensive to buy and to run

so what ? that's a good problem to have. throw money at it. by the time you have a 1000 TB database your IT budget is pretty fat

Malcolm XML posted:

or what if u hit the cpu limit on intel systems? or some other single system h/w limit?

if your app can't scale horizontally its a bad app. vertical scaling is for chumps

and to properly scale horizontally u need HA so enter distributed systems

s
horizontal scaling is a fairy tale that startup fuckwits tell each other. it doesn't exist for most problems.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
incidentally 1000 TB oltp databases don't exist in the wild. they just don't. nobody's working set is that big.

1000 tb is the land of column-oriented stores and data warehousing. vertica and friends. you'll need that fat it budget when you want to start digging into that space.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh yeah one more thing: if i were vertica i'd be scared shitless of the thousand tiny hadoop vendors

one of them sooner or later is going to make something better than hive and fuckloads cheaper than column-oriented stores or the various olap platforms

big data is a dumb fad but somebody is gonna make those big data platforms work for software markets that actually exist

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

so this is what its like... when spergs cry

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi
notorious bsd i don't think you've thought this through

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hellsworn Barn posted:

notorious bsd i don't think you've thought this through

yeah talking to children like adults never pans out

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi
what if demand on your services is not constant (e.g. high demand one day a month)?

what about network saturation?

what about latency?

what about durability?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
bsd pls stop talking about things u have no idea about

it's much much easier to manage a ah service if it can run on large numbers of tiny machines because they are cheap and scale up and down as need to fit the demand envelope

we had a dc go down to a powercut we just spin up instances in the other ones in like 10 min and were fine

out data needs are around 100tb a day and growing so we need something that can handle that much data times 30 for monthly analysis

can't really buy petabytes of ram

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

hive sucks tho

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

out data needs are around 100tb a day and growing so we need something that can handle that much data times 30 for monthly analysis

can't really buy petabytes of ram

yeah there's no loving way you have an oltp workload on that. that's data warehousing. it's a completely different space w/ different vendors, different software, different budgets.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

hive sucks tho

something we can all agree on

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hellsworn Barn posted:

what if demand on your services is not constant (e.g. high demand one day a month)?

what about network saturation?

what about latency?

what about durability?

lol if you think you can answer these questions more effectively with a poorly-understood distributed setup running on someone else's hardware

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
btw if your 100 tb a day is records of people clicking on poo poo, and not people actually buying poo poo, loving lol

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah there's no loving way you have an oltp workload on that. that's data warehousing. it's a completely different space w/ different vendors, different software, different budgets.

what if I told u the difference is arbitrary

we run billions of transactions a day

some of them are for product purchase transactions most are telemetry but all are important

sorry bsd the world where oltp and olap can afford to be different is fading

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

some of them are for product purchase transactions most are telemetry but all are important

lol
and you do monthly analysis
double lol

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

this truly is the thread for bsd

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Malcolm XML posted:

hive sucks tho

gotta post every time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

killa beelaphants coming atcha

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you think you can answer these questions more effectively with a poorly-understood distributed setup running on someone else's hardware

who said anything about someone else's hardware?

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol if you think

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol
and you do monthly analysis
double lol

ya we do the last 30 days rolling as well as any multiple of 5 mins it's p great to see the last year and then drill down as granular as u want

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
yep row stores are easier to scale vertically and column stores are easier to scale horizontally

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
telemetry should never be "important"

herp derp eye tracking studies are too expensive let's spend a million dollars a month on freshly graduated "data scientists" and try to let a clustering algo extract meaning from our garbage data

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

yep row stores are easier to scale vertically and column stores are easier to scale horizontally

and they sustain different workloads

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

ya we do the last 30 days rolling as well as any multiple of 5 mins it's p great to see the last year and then drill down as granular as u want

you've reinvented RRDs with only several million dollars in infrastructure and you run oltp workloads on it

good job

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

what happened in your life to make you like this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Squinty Applebottom posted:

what happened in your life to make you like this

i worked in the technology industry for too long
let this be a warning to you

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you've reinvented RRDs with only several million dollars in infrastructure and you run oltp workloads on it

good job

its more like a couple hundred k and it handles more data than we could do normally, is run by like 5-10 people

as opposed to a full blown datacenter IT team + enough consultants and poo poo to make ur eyes bleed

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

herp derp eye tracking studies are too expensive let's spend a million dollars a month on freshly graduated "data scientists" and try to let a clustering algo extract meaning from our garbage data

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bsd i know ur gimmick is being a greybearded moron but for real u are a greybearded moron if "knowing more about your product" is unimportant

eye tracking is expensive and we do it occasionally.

small sample tests don't hold a candle to knowing the entire population data set and parameters as opposed to statistics

tef posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

and they sustain different workloads

we r moving to a hybrid system since we have the problem of need both high volume low latency transaction processing AND analysis, a situation that BSD simply cannot comprehend

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

good job

we might have to i think

ofc not paying ibm is always a win

e: unless u mean round robin databases, circular buffers are literally trivial

the issue is when u want to keep that data around rather than losing it while maintaining quick enough access

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 15, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Blinkz0rz posted:

also let ops handle it

slap an index on the table

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

a columnstore db is like an index for your whole table

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh yeah one more thing: if i were vertica i'd be scared shitless of the thousand tiny hadoop vendors

one of them sooner or later is going to make something better than hive and fuckloads cheaper than column-oriented stores or the various olap platforms

big data is a dumb fad but somebody is gonna make those big data platforms work for software markets that actually exist

except that hadoop mapreduce is really lovely at doing anything in less than a minute. hdfs isn't suiting needs either. not that i think vertica is magic but hadoop isn't much of a base to build on for beating it

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

you should just use sql server 2014 with columstore indexes and in memory optimized tables. stored procedures are now compiled down to native byte code so you can get the expressiveness of sql with the speed of c.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

you should just use sql server 2014 with columstore indexes and in memory optimized tables. stored procedures are now compiled down to native byte code so you can get the expressiveness of sql with the speed of c.

is this a shaggar parachute account, I can't tell

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Malcolm XML posted:

sorry bsd the world where oltp and olap can afford to be different is fading

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

a columnstore db is like an index for your whole table

i dont understand the point of it (maybe i just dont get *big data* but for some reason i have a sneaking suspicion that that's not it)

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

vertica says this about themselves

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah fuuuuck ive got something good for this thread, hold on to yourbutss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ok so this is the site i ahve used at university to do stuff like sign a digital "i wont plagerise " form every time we do an exercise, and sometimes we get results here. (sometimes we get results via email, sometimes they are uploaded to a moodle system, sometimes they are uploaded to a trac system lol, its hilariously inconsisten)

look how bad this is

designed by a front end web developer with almost 9 years of apparent experience

wtfffffffffffffffff

• Locked thread