Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Netflix has changed and it looks ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was mostly going off of Danse Macabre (1981), his nonfiction book on horror movies. I imagine that the combination of The Shining being only the second adaptation of his work and was based on the third novel he had ever published, and the fact that it was the first to really veer from the subject matter had a lot to do with why at the time he was written he was so upset by the movie.

Even in Danse Macabre, he calls The Shining one of the best horror movies of all time.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Europa Report was good enough to watch and a reasonable 90 min long.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
SteveKingChat:

To me King is proof that there really is an art to a good page-turner. He writes well, he's good at getting his hooks in, adding enough mundane detail to give things a sense of reality, but keeping it moving still. A lot of authors in the mass-produced summer schlock genre (so to speak) really aren't good at this- they just write functionally.

Misery is actually partly a commentary on the guilty joys of writing schlocky fiction, and that's one thing the film couldn't really capture (because showing writing on film is so often boring.)

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Netflix has added both the theatrical and unrated cuts of World War Z as separate streams. Not that I imagine it matters much for that movie, but something to keep in mind for future releases. It'd probably make more sense to include them as different options on one unified movie page, but I've given up expecting Netflix to make sensible decisions.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If Netflix ever starts adding commentary audio tracks for movies and TV shows that would be amazing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

priznat posted:

If Netflix ever starts adding commentary audio tracks for movies and TV shows that would be amazing.

I'm curious about whose decision that is. Is it the studios withholding those extra features to make DVDs/Blu Rays worth buying, or is it a decision Netflix made?

Because yeah that would be amazing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I bet it is the former. However are commentaries as frequent on BD anymore? I haven't bought any in years and I am wondering if it has dropped off or no.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

priznat posted:

Season one of "House of Cards" has commentaries, I believe.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

drunkill posted:

Netflix has changed and it looks ugly.

And it is also broken, clicking on House of Cards to look at the audio tracks takes forever and then loads the Breaking Bad page.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
World War Z was quite awful. I don't care about the source material, so I don't really have a point of comparison. But man, what a bad movie. Flat characters, cheap and unearned 'emotional' moments, every plot advancement is based off a huge coincidence... The movie didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. An action movie? A disaster movie? Contagion with zombies?

Bad. Just bad.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Naet posted:

Bad. Just bad.

World War Z was the first movie to come out of Brad Pitt's production company, and as I understand it the whole thing really got out from under them. Damon Lindeloff had to rewrite the final third of the movie at some point, and there is no surer sign a movie will be terrible than a Damon Lindeloff rewrite.

Edit: The author also publicly went on record to say that the only thing that remained of his original book was the title, so that six-figure licensing deal was worth every penny!

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 14, 2014

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Orange Is The New BlackAm I the only one that was really uncomfortable with the blowjob in the last episode by the chick embezzling money. I mean yeah she is a bad guy. But that felt pretty rapey. :(

outy
Aug 27, 2004

As a fan of the book and the genre, I had very low expectations for WWZ. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I don't know how much the unrated version added, as I didn't see the theatrical cut, but there were plenty of tense and exciting moments.
Some of the set-pieces were a lot of fun (Israel was frantic), and I'm looking forward to watching it again. It was certainly flawed and had a lot of wasted potential, but I feel a lot of the criticism is undeserved.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Tennis Ball posted:

Orange Is The New BlackAm I the only one that was really uncomfortable with the blowjob in the last episode by the chick embezzling money. I mean yeah she is a bad guy. But that felt pretty rapey. :(

He didn't ask for or even hint towards it. She propositioned him. Sure, in an attempt to protect herself, but she took the initiative, it's not rapey whatsoever and thinking that is pretty far out there on the extreme edge of the SJW scale

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
WWZ is worth it just for what happens to that scientist.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
So I was really bored at work and it keeps popping up with it as a recommendation so I finally gave Rapture-Palooza a viewing. I actually really enjoyed it. It's just so dumb and stupidly optimistic and blase in the face of the apocalypse. I just couldn't help but laugh at a lot of it it's just so absurb.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I was impressed by the zombie performances in World War Z. I thought the ones given screen time all did excellent jobs at being both familiar and totally different at the same time.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
The World War Z drinking game: Drink one drop of alcohol for every zombie you see.

bartok
May 10, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

He didn't ask for or even hint towards it. She propositioned him. Sure, in an attempt to protect herself, but she took the initiative, it's not rapey whatsoever and thinking that is pretty far out there on the extreme edge of the SJW scale

I too didn't see it as "rapey". There are several scenes where Caputo pleasures himself at work so I could see how someone could think that scene came off as "rapey". I think someone earlier that Vee came off as almost a cartoon villain and I have to agree. She seemed really out of place given the whole vibe of the show.

I tried watching Derek and I bailed on the first episode halfway through. Does it get better? I know Ricky Gervais is a condescending rear end in a top hat but I really liked The Office and Extras. It feels like Gervais is justifying making fun of the mentally handicapped because he is going to shoehorn in some melodramatic tripe about death and elder neglect given the nursing home setting. Again I could be wrong but the show seemed really mean spirited and Gervais just doesn't have the chops to play a mentally handicapped character.
One positive, I thought Karl Pilkington's character had potential.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

bartok posted:

I too didn't see it as "rapey". There are several scenes where Caputo pleasures himself at work so I could see how someone could think that scene came off as "rapey". I think someone earlier that Vee came off as almost a cartoon villain and I have to agree. She seemed really out of place given the whole vibe of the show.

I tried watching Derek and I bailed on the first episode halfway through. Does it get better? I know Ricky Gervais is a condescending rear end in a top hat but I really liked The Office and Extras. It feels like Gervais is justifying making fun of the mentally handicapped because he is going to shoehorn in some melodramatic tripe about death and elder neglect given the nursing home setting. Again I could be wrong but the show seemed really mean spirited and Gervais just doesn't have the chops to play a mentally handicapped character.
One positive, I thought Karl Pilkington's character had potential.

derek is without a shadow of a doubt one of the worst shows ever produced, by gervais or anyone else.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I was impressed by the zombie performances in World War Z. I thought the ones given screen time all did excellent jobs at being both familiar and totally different at the same time.
WWZ was the equivalent of Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote. Anytime Pitt showed up somewhere, you knew some zombie breakout poo poo was going to happen. Now I'm not saying he was the cause, but holy gently caress, the guy travels around the globe, and EVEN ON THE PLANE that APPEARS SAFE, there's a zombie breakout. Why? Brad Pitt.

Still better than Frankensteins Army because gently caress that movie. Never was such potential pinched out of an infant's rear end.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

derek is without a shadow of a doubt one of the worst shows ever produced, by gervais or anyone else.

Are you telling me Derek is worse than Hemlock Grove? Is that what you're saying? Cause if that's what you're saying I just can't believe it.

In other news, Hemlock Grove is apparently coming back for another season! :shepicide:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MrGreenShirt posted:

Are you telling me Derek is worse than Hemlock Grove? Is that what you're saying? Cause if that's what you're saying I just can't believe it.

In other news, Hemlock Grove is apparently coming back for another season! :shepicide:

Those birds will never learn. Never!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

I've never seen Hemlock Grove but I promise you, Derek is worse. Much, much worse. Watch half of one episode, if you can make it that far, and see if you disagree. If you do I'm def watching Hemlock Grove.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Those birds will never learn. Never!

Stupid-rear end birds!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've never seen Hemlock Grove but I promise you, Derek is worse. Much, much worse. Watch half of one episode, if you can make it that far, and see if you disagree. If you do I'm def watching Hemlock Grove.

You're seriously overestimating Hemlock Grove here.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I have watched half an episode of each before turning off in disgust and can confirm that Derek is worse than Hemlock Grove.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks like Leviathan got added. :woop:

It's a kind of queasy, wordless documentary about a fishing boat. Kind of hard to watch, sometimes beautiful, often haunting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hemlock Grove is just boring and bad, Derek is actively offensive.

bartok
May 10, 2006

marktheando posted:

I have watched half an episode of each before turning off in disgust and can confirm that Derek is worse than Hemlock Grove.

I bet it was right after Derek sat in pudding.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Tennis Ball posted:

I had the same reaction, and I don't think you have to be a SJW to feel that way. It's mostly that she wouldn't have done it if he had told her that it wouldn't change his mind.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Looks like Leviathan got added. :woop:

It's a kind of queasy, wordless documentary about a fishing boat. Kind of hard to watch, sometimes beautiful, often haunting.

One of my favorite movies of the past few years, although I have yet to watch it on a small screen.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

So I just watched the first episode of Derek and I'd say its probably a toss-up. Both shows completely fail at what they try to be. Two train-wrecks with entirely different collision courses.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

So I just watched the first episode of Derek and I'd say its probably a toss-up. Both shows completely fail at what they try to be. Two train-wrecks with entirely different collision courses.

okay i'll give hemlock a go after the football, for some weird reason i need to see it now.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, Hemlock is just cargo cult David Lynch imitators who happen to have made the greatest werewolf transformation I've seen in a good long while.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

No Pants posted:

I had the same reaction, and I don't think you have to be a SJW to feel that way. It's mostly that she wouldn't have done it if he had told her that it wouldn't change his mind.

I think my biggest problem with it was that it made Caputo seem sleazy. I mean he was a pretty neutral character up until then. I just like my heroes to be "pure". And I like to think I am pretty far from SJW stuff.

It just seemed like such an unnecessary scene and out of place for Caputo.

EDIT:: Also, Derek is terrible. And I like Gervais's stand up, The Office, Extras, the cartoon thing on HBO, etc.

I think he has gone too far up his own rear end lately though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like An Idiot Abroad but only because I sympathize with Karl having to deal with Gervais loving with him.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

WWZ is interesting. I love the book, and this movie is utterly unrelated. But the movie is still good, it's like bottled tension. Morally grey areas or international politics...not so much. Escape and stealth and actiony sequences? Yep!

and a completely hilarious shoe-horned in cola promo that, honest to god, have everyone in the theater busting a gut in an otherwise serious part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The difference between Derek and Hemlock Grove is that while Hemlock Grove is bad is the kind of bad that can be at least a little fun to mock for its badness (see: "stupid-rear end birds!" becoming a minor catchphrase) while Derek is just joyless in its awfulness. Also Hemlock Grove at least had a few makeup and effects people who worked hard to make a cool transformation sequence or two.

• Locked thread