Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just happened to check the Wii U section at Best Buy today, got Rayman legends for $20bux.

e: too bad a pro controller is still $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

homeless snail posted:

The new gamepad control scheme they patched in like a week ago is really great, probably better than the wiimote.

Wait, so this stylus stuff was NOT in the game originally? Where I click things and press L to whistle?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wait, so this stylus stuff was NOT in the game originally? Where I click things and press L to whistle?
Yeah, you can switch to the "classic" gamepad controls to see what it shipped with. They're bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What determines which game in NES Remix has a bits multiplier going on? Does it change daily or something?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, you can switch to the "classic" gamepad controls to see what it shipped with. They're bad.

Can someone explain what the new controls are and why they're so good? I got the game and initially loved it but the gameplay was... overwhelming I suppose. I ended up getting distracted by other games because P3 never completely clicked for me. Maybe the update will help if I decided to get back into it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Stylus controls are basically the Wiimote controls except you point by dragging the stylus or directly tapping with off-tv play.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I've been using nothing but the stylus controls since I got Pikmin3 free with MK8, I played a little of it when it came out with the nunchuck and I'd say they're pretty even in how much control they give you and how they allow you to play the game. It's really a matter of preference, except for off-tv gameplay where the stylus is clearly the way to go.

The default controls are terrible, the way aiming is tied to movement pretty much ruins the game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone explain what the new controls are and why they're so good? I got the game and initially loved it but the gameplay was... overwhelming I suppose. I ended up getting distracted by other games because P3 never completely clicked for me. Maybe the update will help if I decided to get back into it.
Its not gonna change your mind about anything, it just lets you tap on the screen where you want to throw your pikmin.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You can't tap the screen and hold your pink in though, with the stylus controls which really bugs me. Are the standard controls just the GameCube version?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, Classic controls are the Gamecube controls except the crosshair isn't fixed anymore.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unlocking the cursor was just a big enough change to totally piss me off when I tried the classic controls. But that game wouldn't work with the Gamecube games' locked cursor cause most of the puzzles are designed around the precision of aiming of the vastly superior wiimote controls. Then again if you're using the wiimote you have to put down the gamepad which kind of defeats the point. The new stylus controls are the best of both schemes, In My Opinion.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Nintendo should release a version of the tablet with a 3D switch on it like the 3DS thank you

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Got my pro controller today! poo poo is awesome :c00l:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone have the Mayflash GC adapter? I just got Project M up and running and I wanted to know if anyone experienced any lag.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

homeless snail posted:

What determines which game in NES Remix has a bits multiplier going on? Does it change daily or something?

They switch it daily but I'm not sure if it's just random or if there's a kind of order to it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Nintendo should release a version of the tablet with a 3D switch on it like the 3DS thank you

The battery would go from full to zero before you got past the opening credits.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oxxidation posted:

The battery would go from full to zero before you got past the opening credits.

I have it plugged it most of the time anyway so that's not my problem :cool:

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

homeless snail posted:

Then again if you're using the wiimote you have to put down the gamepad which kind of defeats the point.

My preferred control scheme when the game came out was wiimote+nunchuck and the Gamepad on it's stand in front of me. I imagine the new stylus controls work great for off-TV play.

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

Is there any reason to get a Wii U Pro Controller if I already have a Wii Classic Pro?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vilkata posted:

Is there any reason to get a Wii U Pro Controller if I already have a Wii Classic Pro?

It's much more comfortable and better made. Also completely wireless.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Classic Controller doesn't work in every game, like NSMBU or DKC:TF only support Pro/gamepad or plain Wiimote.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Elliotw2 posted:

The Stylus controls are basically the Wiimote controls except you point by dragging the stylus or directly tapping with off-tv play.

The stylus control is really bad if you're left handed because it uses all of the buttons on the left side of the control and there doesn't appear to be an option to remap keys.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It's way better than the Classic Controller. Not tethered to a Wiimote, has 80 loving hours of battery life, weighs basically nothing, has a better button layout.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phantasium posted:

Except when you do this, it yells at you for not having the TV on when you select the button.

That's odd, I tried the method I posted before I posted it and it worked, no yelling or anything. Then again, I have used the off-tv for Wii games function before, so maybe that's why.

It does really bug me that they weren't able to (or, more likely, couldn't have been bothered to) make the Gamepad emulate a Wiimote. I mean, for most games, you're gonna need a Wiimote for motion control stuff (and points to them for putting IR sensors in the Gamepad so you can play Wii games on it remotely) but I wish I could play Wii VC games on the Gamepad alone. Putting the Gamepad on a stand and connecting my CC to a Wiimote so that I can play SMRPG while someone else watches TV is kinda :spergin:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 15, 2014

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

lelandjs posted:

That's odd, I tried the method I posted before I posted it and it worked, no yelling or anything. Then again, I have used the off-tv for Wii games function before, so maybe that's why.

It does really bug me that they weren't able to (or, more likely, couldn't have been bothered to) make the Gamepad emulate a Wiimote. I mean, for most games, you're gonna need a Wiimote for motion control stuff (and points to them for putting IR sensors in the Gamepad so you can play Wii games on it remotely) but I wish I could play Wii VC games on the Gamepad alone. Putting the Gamepad on a stand and connecting my CC to a Wiimote so that I can play SMRPG while someone else watches TV is kinda :spergin:

The way I understand it, you can, from start-up, go straight from the Wii Mode by pointing at the screen where the TV+Gamepad option should be.

Apparently, HDMI relates to why it won't work once the Wii U is fully on, so it requires the TV to be on for some reason.

So it'll work from the Quick-Start menu, it won't from the main menu.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Vilkata posted:

Not really unless whatever game you want to play with it doesn't support Classic Controllers. It adds clicky sticks and is a nice controller and all but gently caress paying $60 to have yet another controller bouncing around my house that I can't play Wii games with

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

gay skull posted:

Not really unless whatever game you want to play with it doesn't support Classic Controllers. It adds clicky sticks and is a nice controller and all but gently caress paying $60 to have yet another controller bouncing around my house that I can't play Wii games with

Guys, guys, guys. It's $45 but honestly one of the best controllers I've ever used. I used it for emulation on my Mac before I got a Wii u, but now that I have a Wii U, I use it for practically everything. it's also a life saver when your Gamepad is charging or on the dock and you just wanna play some games with a classic feeling controller.

Can I also just say how poo poo tickling hard is to make a Project M channel on vWii? It's not even hard, it's impossible. I hate things way too easily.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 15, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

lelandjs posted:

Some TV's are jerks and actually report to the Wii U if it's on or off, and the Wii U listens for Wii mode.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What the gently caress Netflix, just cut out on me twice in a row. I just want to watch Orange is the new Black! :negative:

Anyone have any tips for getting this to work? (I have to use my WiiU because my computer is being weird)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elliotw2 posted:

Some TV's are jerks and actually report to the Wii U if it's on or off, and the Wii U listens for Wii mode.

Ah, that explains it. Vizio supremecy :smuggo:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Posted this about Mario Kart 8 a few days ago, reposting to let people know it'll work with Mario 3D World, too:

quote:

Target (store only not online) will Price match Amazon.com if the price is from Amazon themselves and not a reseller. Currently Amazon has MK8 listed for $48.79 so Target matched at the service desk.
Target also has a deal (3rd page on their circular) where you can get $15 off ANY game $39.99 with at least $1 towards ANY pre-order. So I took a pre-order for Smash Bros Wii U and MK8 and it rang up $34.79 + tax.
You also get a $5 Target Gift card when you pick up your pre-order and these are new (not used) copies so they still qualify for Nintendo's Free game offer.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

drat I love using my Omar Little Mii while playing Mario Kart. Coins don't got owners, only spenders :madmax:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

homeless snail posted:

What? They're seriously just standard Pikmin controls without the right stick being used to direct pikmin, which the game's level design makes almost totally unnecessary. And the stylus controls are a huge pain if you're not playing on the gamepad only.

Also, I recently hung out with a friend who doesn't suck at video games, and he reminded me just how fun Pikmin 3's multiplayer is. It also left me wondering, why would they make so many maps for it and only give it local multiplayer? I usually don't whine for online multi in Nintendo games, but I'm pretty confident that Pikmin 3 having online multiplayer would extend the game's replayability even further for me. I also can't help but wish that they'd just ripped off some of these maps for challenge mode, small as they are. It would balance out the insanely long stages that the third DLC got.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 15, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm way excited for the new Captain Toad game. Those levels in 3D World made great use of the gamepad and I can't wait to see what else they pull with it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So am I basically SOL for trying to play online with people that my router doesn't like connecting to if I can't get access to the network settings?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So if I understand this digital deluxe promo, can I cash in as many times as I want before the promo ends in December?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pegnose Pete posted:

So if I understand this digital deluxe promo, can I cash in as many times as I want before the promo ends in December?

Well, you have to spend $50 to get $5.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

noirstronaut posted:

Well, you have to spend $50 to get $5.

Yes. Just trying to understand if they limit the number of times you can do this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pegnose Pete posted:

Yes. Just trying to understand if they limit the number of times you can do this.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
That's awesome thanks guys. Also are they nice about it and count 49.99 as 50$? Tropical Freeze is 49.99 on the eShop.

• Locked thread