Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SubG posted:

This sounds like you're saying that food safety is a waste of time if the category of people affected is narrow enough. I assume you couldn't possibly be saying something that stupid, so I must be missing something.

Only when it's people I don't like.

Seriously, I was trying to say that perhaps the nuclear approach to food safety isn't as necessary when the people you're protecting are presumably a tiny bit more savvy than your average aforementioned ignorant food-shoveling masses. I just didn't articulate the point very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Sounds like we need to bring back the "Holy poo poo I almost died, is this safe to eat?" thread.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

dino. posted:

http://sweetassfoodstuffs.tumblr.com/post/72779474896/handletheheat-com
Cool little graphic about controlling your baked goods.

That's really cool. What a great way to show how simple changes will affect the finished product of a baked good.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A guy in the general questions thread asked how to make a leaner pulled pork using tenderloin and was advised by myself and others that it was a bad idea.

Turns out he went ahead and did it anyway.

I wonder how dry the tenderloin was after being cooked for eight hours. :gonk:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

The Midniter posted:

A guy in the general questions thread asked how to make a leaner pulled pork using tenderloin and was advised by myself and others that it was a bad idea.

That looks like it would just make dry, glazed strands of pork with no gelatin. It's just sugarpork.

Wouldn't the fat float, not "fall to the bottom?" I think he may have been may have been referring to caramelized root beer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

I dunno bro-it was swimming in root beer and BBQ sauce after all!

Some people just have it in their head that healthy food has to taste horrible and they just get used to it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

That sounds just awful.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

I'm more concerned by the chicken tenderloins cooked on high for 9 frickin hours a couple posts down. They must have been mush at that point.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I just reread it. He says "poke holes all over it with a fork" before cooking for 7-8 hours, so it's even drier than I first thought.

Also, it's 2lbs of pork cooking for that long in only 20oz of root beer. There's no way that could have covered it.

Then, dump the root beer, which had to have been mostly caramel by then, cover with a full bottle of BBQ sauce, and cook another hour.

This thing is just a giant lump of dry sugar. I wish there was a picture. It probably looks like something straight out of a candy store from Hell.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well now I really want to pull a pork this weekend. But, you know, do it the right way.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could maybe get it to come out okay in a slow cooker, but wow, that wasn't the recipe. I think he meant the big piece of fat was what fell/stuck (as opposed to clinging to the meat).

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Anne Whateley posted:

You could maybe get it to come out okay in a slow cooker, but wow, that wasn't the recipe. I think he meant the big piece of fat was what fell/stuck (as opposed to clinging to the meat).

I originally thought that "fall" to the bottom meant "sink" to the bottom because I had originally thought he covered it. My reading comprehension failed me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Food science question: I made a smoothie this morning with spinach, yogurt, chia, mango, pineapple and banana. I tasted it and it was great. I took it to work and now when I drink it tastes bitter. Could the bromelain in the pineapple have gone to work on the spinach and made it bitter?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nwin posted:

I dunno bro-it was swimming in root beer and BBQ sauce after all!

Some people just have it in their head that healthy food has to taste horrible and they just get used to it.

I have a roommate that will leave fat/oil out of almost anything she makes for that reason, and she'll cut sugar severely, trying to replace it with stevia or whatever.

Now imagine what her shortbread looks like.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
After being moved from a medical type job to mass food service for my part time military I am thinking of getting a part time job at a real food place. Should I do it? Right now I'm kinda useless in non-home cooking but I kinda enjoy cooking for others and trying to make the poo poo food better.

I kinda need the money too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CommonShore posted:

I have a roommate that will leave fat/oil out of almost anything she makes for that reason, and she'll cut sugar severely, trying to replace it with stevia or whatever.

Now imagine what her shortbread looks like.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

:golfclap:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Add some otherwise unnecessary water to make it bind. It's pretty much just bricks of poo poo.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I took the bait and replied to the YLLS guy doing pork bootleather with BBQ sauce. Change tabs to see you guys having the exact same thoughts as me but not voicing them in the other subforum. I feel sorry for the people in YLLS sometimes, I just wanna help :(

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vlex posted:

I took the bait and replied to the YLLS guy doing pork bootleather with BBQ sauce. Change tabs to see you guys having the exact same thoughts as me but not voicing them in the other subforum. I feel sorry for the people in YLLS sometimes, I just wanna help :(

I'm glad you were able to think of a nice way to phrase it. I could only think of linking The Midnighter's original post and the two after it, but that seemed unnecessary.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

So, a while ago someone found some videos from old CBC shows, the best of which was this one where a person in 1957 tries to explain how to make pizza:

quote:

With neat hair and in her Sunday best, Mrs. Brady pulls out all the stops in her Homemaker's Club audition.

"Today, I'm going to make that popular Italian dish, pizza pie," she chimes in this 1957 CBC Television clip.

Most of the other ladies made casseroles. The pizza dish, which she tells us is becoming popular in the United States, has three parts: a biscuit layer, the tomato sauce and toppings.

This is Mrs. Brady's best chance: If her audition goes well, she'll make it into Vancouver's Homemaker's Club. During the audition, she explains a traditional pie has only sauce, oregano and cheese, but suggests adding toppings, especially if you're entertaining. Men, she says, love the meat toppings, such as pepperoni, canned spiced meat and blood sausage.

It turns out there are more! [url=http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/lifestyle/homemaking/a-womans-place-programming-for-the-modern-homemaker/casseroles-galore.html]Here is one about casseroles from 1945.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

So, what do I do with 18 bunches of asparagus?

(the tips are ever so slightly wilted, which apparently makes them unsaleable so I got them for free. Working at a farmer's market has perks!)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Humboldt Squid posted:

(the tips are ever so slightly wilted, which apparently makes them unsaleable so I got them for free. Working at a farmer's market has perks!)

Eat a shitload of them now. Make asparagus paste (my guess would be roast them with OO then blend with more OO and saltypep, maybe some parmesan too) and freeze it, then use it with pasta and risotto etc.
Maybe freeze some whole roasted ones too for pastas etc and to add to omelettes.

So jealous. I can eat a bunch a day easily when they are in season. My summer staple used to be asparagus, peas, spaghetti, pine nuts, lemon juice and EVOO.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Man, is your toilet going to STINK!

Anyway, looks like in August I'll be spending 10 days in Texas. Slightly north of Dallas, a place called Addison. I'm assuming that the Mexican and BBQ will be awesome, but is there anything else in Dallas worth eating?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Pickled asparagus is really good!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
You know what else is really good? 24-month Comte, and mature manchego with quince jelly.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

So, a while ago someone found some videos from old CBC shows, the best of which was this one where a person in 1957 tries to explain how to make pizza:

It turns out there are more! Here is one about casseroles from 1945.

Fixed the links for those too lazy to quote and pull it. Dear god, Rico you were way too excite.

That lady is soooooo cute.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dammit, why isn't there a finished product!?!? That would be grand!

I like how she used a spoon to place every single ingredient on the pizza...the only time she touched the pizza was unfolding the dough...mustn't get the hands dirty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
SO MUCH SAUCE

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Squashy Nipples posted:

Man, is your toilet going to STINK!

Anyway, looks like in August I'll be spending 10 days in Texas. Slightly north of Dallas, a place called Addison. I'm assuming that the Mexican and BBQ will be awesome, but is there anything else in Dallas worth eating?

There's a lot of good food in Dallas, and Addison is one of the major centers for it.

For a great burger, and the best cheese fries on the planet, got to Snuffer's off of Midway, south of Belt Line rd.

For super down and dirty, go to Chickn-N-Rice off Valley View and Josey ln. It serves almost nothing but mediocre fried rice, with the best tempura chicken tenders in the history of the world, with a side of amazing, amazing hot sauce. This may be the place that I miss most.

Everything on the menu at Houston's is amazing. On Belt Line west of Preston rd. There is a wait nearly open to close, but the bar area is open seating, and the bartenders are all great, so sit at the bar.

Kenny's Woodfire Grill is like a slightly less amazing version of Houston's, but less of a wait if you are going with a big group.

Little Saigon is about 10 minutes west on Belt Line. Check Yelp or Urban Spoon for the best Pho places. There's like 4 great ones, and 6 mediocre ones. They all have interchangeable names with variations of "Pho Saigon, Saigon's Pho, Pho Viet 3" etc..

Head down the Dallas North Tollway to get to the Galleria mall. Grand Lux Cafe is attached, and is really good. The baked to order deserts are excellent.

Farmer's Branch is another suburb right next to Austin, where you will find the best Mexican food. $1 amazing tacos stretching out as far as the eye can see.

If you are willing to travel down into Dallas proper a bit and are looking for more upscale, The Grape is amazing.

Really, the greater Dallas area in general is an amazing place for food. Check out the DFW thread in LAN, and they will be happy to give some great recommendations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Plus_Infinity posted:

Pickled asparagus is really good!

I'll second this one. Plus, picked asparagus runs like $8 for an 8 oz jar, so you can save money if you do it yourself.

e: plus grill some of that poo poo. Grilled asparagus is my favorite part of late spring eatin'.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Grilled asparagus with miso butter and a poached egg on top is awesome. You could also try it with homemade lemon/garlic mayo. I stopped steaming it once I realized how awesome asparagus becomes when it gets a little blackened and smokey on the grill.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Pizza Pie

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Humboldt Squid posted:

Sautéd mushrooms with a balsamic reduction.

Hollandaise.

Stir fry (try, separately: scallops, shrimp paste, lamb).

Pickle in vinegar.

Pickle via lacto fermentation.

Revuelto.

Cream of asparagus soup.

Dill butter.

Bread with seasoned cornmeal, fry, sauce with hot mustard.

Primavera with prosciutto and asparagus.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks everyone! It looks like I've got an opportunity to experiment with it :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

There's a lot of good food in Dallas, and Addison is one of the major centers for it.

For a great burger, and the best cheese fries on the planet, got to Snuffer's off of Midway, south of Belt Line rd.

For super down and dirty, go to Chickn-N-Rice off Valley View and Josey ln. It serves almost nothing but mediocre fried rice, with the best tempura chicken tenders in the history of the world, with a side of amazing, amazing hot sauce. This may be the place that I miss most.

Everything on the menu at Houston's is amazing. On Belt Line west of Preston rd. There is a wait nearly open to close, but the bar area is open seating, and the bartenders are all great, so sit at the bar.

Kenny's Woodfire Grill is like a slightly less amazing version of Houston's, but less of a wait if you are going with a big group.

Little Saigon is about 10 minutes west on Belt Line. Check Yelp or Urban Spoon for the best Pho places. There's like 4 great ones, and 6 mediocre ones. They all have interchangeable names with variations of "Pho Saigon, Saigon's Pho, Pho Viet 3" etc..

Head down the Dallas North Tollway to get to the Galleria mall. Grand Lux Cafe is attached, and is really good. The baked to order deserts are excellent.

Farmer's Branch is another suburb right next to Austin, where you will find the best Mexican food. $1 amazing tacos stretching out as far as the eye can see.

If you are willing to travel down into Dallas proper a bit and are looking for more upscale, The Grape is amazing.

Really, the greater Dallas area in general is an amazing place for food. Check out the DFW thread in LAN, and they will be happy to give some great recommendations.

A nice start! Thank you.
I'm not sure about entering the LAN thread, Texas is a scary place... you can openly carry giant cowboy hats there! :banjo:

I'm the only person on this job from New England, all my fellow consultants are in Texas, Florida, NC and Delaware. I'm prepping myself for 10 days of drat Yankees type ribbing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Grilled asparagus with miso butter and a poached egg on top is awesome. You could also try it with homemade lemon/garlic mayo. I stopped steaming it once I realized how awesome asparagus becomes when it gets a little blackened and smokey on the grill.

Yeah, I really like them roasted or boiled, but my wife's favourite (also great) is done in the griddle pan on high heat so they sear a bit. I like asparagus so much it doesn't matter how they're cooked that much; each method has it's advantages.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Squashy Nipples posted:

A nice start! Thank you.
I'm not sure about entering the LAN thread, Texas is a scary place... you can openly carry giant cowboy hats there! :banjo:

I'm the only person on this job from New England, all my fellow consultants are in Texas, Florida, NC and Delaware. I'm prepping myself for 10 days of drat Yankees type ribbing.

Unless it's from your consultant buddies, you won't get any ribbing about being a Yankee. The Texan stereotype is virtually nonexistent in Dallas. It's a big, metropolitan city with food, art, music and museums. No accents, spurs or hats, outside of the pretend good ol' boys that are upper upper class lawyers and businessmen who get off on the fantasy of being folksy.

Nothing scary in Dallas, other than the drivers, but even then, just expect everyone to be going 20 above the posted limit (which are ludicrously low) and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your time it's a great town!

Fake edit: If a server asks you if you want ranch while you are eating, say yes. Try it, but even if you don't actually like/want it, it is rude to refuse a people's most defining delicacy.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
After going over to Addison to eat at Buttons last Saturday, I'm hoping to get out there for the Sunday Gospel Jazz Brunch sometime. It was some tasty food and that's gotta be an experience.

BBQ-wise, generally the best in the area is acknowledged to be Pecan Lodge, now over in Deep Ellum. Lockhart Smokehouse in either Plano or the Bishop Arts neighborhood in Dallas are also pretty good. Meshack's in Garland does not have destination worthy brisket, but their ribs are absolutely amazing. To swing a bit more upscale than the above options (especially the literal shack that is Meshack's), Smoke in Dallas does some in house sausages, some fancified BBQ, delicacies like Pimento Cheese Croquettes and a great brunch as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I read a scientific study that if you don't think cilantro tastes like soap that means you're dumb. It was proven with science.