Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Kids were bugging me today for ice cream. I'm not going to pay that super amount of money for ice cream from Mr. Softee. So i stuck two yoplait yogurts in the freezer, and gave them out as a treat for desert. They loved it.

Highly recommend doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
dupe.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My kids also love "grapecicles" which is just frozen grapes. They're old enough to know better now but they still love them.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Vivian loves those Gogurt things - yogurt in a little tube. They freeze well and make a yogurt Popsicle. I also just picked up a small Popsicle mold to make my own treats for her. Filled half with white grape juice and half with a strawberry smoothie I made in the blender. Virtually zero effort.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
One little tub of Greek yogurt, one mashed banana, a squirt of honey, and a little bit of milk perfectly fills a little 4-pop mold. :)

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I ain't got no kids but frozen orange juice cubes were a favorite of mine as a kid. They would've been even better if we had molds.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Happy Father's Day, Dads! May your steaks be rare, your beers be cold, and your scotch be neat. ;)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When nerds have kids: We make cool playrooms we wish we had when we were kids!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Happy father's day to all! I am drinking gin and tonic in the back yard and watching the kids play in the sprinkler.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Fathers day here is in November. I'm just painting the house, and painting, and painting and painting, oh the paint is gone, need to go buy another 10 liter can...

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

When nerds have kids: We make cool playrooms we wish we had when we were kids!

Very cool room. My wife and I also took great glee from our nerdy nursery.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Kiddo, two weeks shy of one year, stands up in bed. All the time. Immediately. This is a problem because it means that unless she falls asleep within seconds of being put to bed, she'll be standing up and crying. And if she wakes up just a little during the night, it immediately turns into a big wakeup because she bounces up right away, and wakes herself up fully. I thought it was just a phase that would pass when standing up wasn't such a big deal anymore, but she's been doing it now for 2-3 months, and it's just been getting worse as she's been getting more and more wilfull. Before she was confused about why she was standing up when she was tired, and would go to sleep quickly if we just held a hand gently over her chest, so that she couldn't stand up. Now she just gets pissed off if we try to keep her from getting up, she refuses to give up the struggle and works herself into a state of complete fury. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so tiring. We've tried leaving her to cry to see if she'd eventually lie down (nope), and we've tried going in and putting her down every time she got up to see if she'd stop eventually, and she did when she was too exhausted to get up, but that took hours and was completely horrible and not something I'm going to do every night if the whole standing up-thing is something she basically has to grow out of physically.

Anyone had any success with anything other than "waiting untill they stop doing it"? How long did that take? I miss my good sleeper, this is no fun for any of us :(

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Thwomp posted:

Very cool room. My wife and I also took great glee from our nerdy nursery.

Psh, taking the easy way out.

Go big or go home!

(Which reminds me, I really need to get out the paints and touch up that nursery. Some of the hills are peeling.)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
How the hell do you people have nurseries that are that immaculate? The only way our daughter's room gets anywhere near clean is if she's out of the house for long enough that I go in and actually clean up (my wife gave up months ago).

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

In my area in Australia they've recently added chickenpox to the 18month immunisations, it used to be scheduled around the 2year mark.

http://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/immunisation/young-children/index.html

Nicest thing about the immunisations at 18mo is it's now just a single jab in the arm, not the two in the legs deal it was for all the earlier ones.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Axiem posted:

How the hell do you people have nurseries that are that immaculate? The only way our daughter's room gets anywhere near clean is if she's out of the house for long enough that I go in and actually clean up (my wife gave up months ago).

:ssh: You can't see the rest of the room and he was napping when we took the picture.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Our design theme was "cheap at Ikea" and "thanks for the hand-me-downs!" The walls are white with a random assortment of Star Wars posters, some art our oldest toddler did a few years ago and a big poster of planet earth. A rug we got on Craigslist many years ago is the flashiest thing in the room.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Axiem posted:

Most likely they did all the decorating before they actually had kids.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

FordCQC posted:

Most likely they did all the decorating before they actually had kids.

Yes, that photo was before I had my first. Now there are books and stuffed animals scattered all over the floor, a beheaded penguin humidifier... but there are glow in the dark stars on the ceiling!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Axiem posted:

Only one child? In all seriousness: that's a really cool looking room.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My child also isn't born yet (but is expected any day).

Lyz posted:

Psh, taking the easy way out.

Go big or go home!

(Which reminds me, I really need to get out the paints and touch up that nursery. Some of the hills are peeling.)

Very cool. Yeah, no way I'm talented enough to do any of that painting. I'll stick with graphics.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
So, I just found out that in addition to being diagnosed with mono, my 8 month old now has the chicken pox! Has anyone dealt with either in a baby so young? She's got a slight fever and I gave her Tylenol and used Aveeno to help the itching. It's just crazy that she'd get both so young! She's not due for her chicken pox vaccine until 12 months; too bad she couldn't have waited another 4 months. :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken Biscuits posted:

So, I just found out that in addition to being diagnosed with mono, my 8 month old now has the chicken pox! Has anyone dealt with either in a baby so young? She's got a slight fever and I gave her Tylenol and used Aveeno to help the itching. It's just crazy that she'd get both so young! She's not due for her chicken pox vaccine until 12 months; too bad she couldn't have waited another 4 months. :)

Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath that I remember feeling great when I had the chicken pox.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think I thanked you guys for the 'taking kids to movies' advice from a few weeks ago, but thanks! Sydney and I watched The Lego Movie last week (at home) and she seemed to enjoy it, or at least the songs.

BTW, if anyone else has a kid as obsessed with Peg+Cat as mine is, there's an album with all or most of the songs from the series available. Problem solved. I apologize in advance for anyone who has "Put The Stick On The Line" in their heads for upwards of a month.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
My kid is three. She has been a fist-sucker since birth - literally, her first photos have her hand in there down to the knuckles. We've been trying to stop that, but she's taken instead to chewing on her hair. Her preschool class lets her drink from a water bottle whenever she likes, so we got her a Camelbak. She drinks almost non-stop and chews on the mouthpiece. This is both breaking down the mouthpiece and filling her bladder so she has three to five potty accidents a day after being well potty trained.

How can we help her stop needing something in her mouth?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

My kid is three. She has been a fist-sucker since birth - literally, her first photos have her hand in there down to the knuckles. We've been trying to stop that, but she's taken instead to chewing on her hair. Her preschool class lets her drink from a water bottle whenever she likes, so we got her a Camelbak. She drinks almost non-stop and chews on the mouthpiece. This is both breaking down the mouthpiece and filling her bladder so she has three to five potty accidents a day after being well potty trained.

How can we help her stop needing something in her mouth?

Have you considered giving her something that is chewing-approved? It sounds like sensory-seeking behavior. Give her a substitute to chew on, one that is intended for chewing, then after she's acclimated to chewing that and only that, work on cutting back the amount of time she's allowed to be chewing on it. I'd look into some chewelry: http://kidcompanions.com/

Also, she's only 3. I know in thumb-sucking, something like 90% of kids resolve that on their own by around age 5, so it may just be an issue of time.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Fionnoula posted:

Also, she's only 3. I know in thumb-sucking, something like 90% of kids resolve that on their own by around age 5, so it may just be an issue of time.

Thanks for the reassurance! My big issues with it are that her hands are always wet, so everything she touches is slimy; he hands are always in that slightly grody, post-bath, loose skin way so her breath always smells like degrading skin (you have no idea), and now she's having up to five accidents a day. It's hard to wait it out, but I think you may be right that there's really not much else for it.

I was always a fidgeter, so I see where she's coming from; for me it helps to wear necklaces that I can move the pendant back and forth on. But she's still young enough that she won't always wear one, I think... but then again, if we tell her that we want her to suck on it instead of her hands, maybe that will work. Or maybe she'll just add it to the stack. :) I'll try it!

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Has anyone had the adenoids removed for their child? My daughter has had yet another ear infection after her ear tubes were put in, and while we haven't had the chance to get a culture from the ear infection, I want to know the risks of removing adenoids, because I'm tired of her being on medications non stop, especially if she won't take them a lot of the time because of the taste. I'll go by the doctors suggestions of course, but she's at a crucial stage of hearing (17 months), I don't want her to fall behind in language development.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

momtartin posted:

Has anyone had the adenoids removed for their child? My daughter has had yet another ear infection after her ear tubes were put in, and while we haven't had the chance to get a culture from the ear infection, I want to know the risks of removing adenoids, because I'm tired of her being on medications non stop, especially if she won't take them a lot of the time because of the taste. I'll go by the doctors suggestions of course, but she's at a crucial stage of hearing (17 months), I don't want her to fall behind in language development.

My older son had his adenoids taken out when he had his second set of ear tubes placed at 23 months in hopes that it will avoid him needing a third set of tubes when these start to fall out. I don't know if it was having the adenoids out too or just that he was older (he was 12 months old for the first set), but recovery was hell. He woke up from anesthesia screaming and didn't stop for well over a day and then he was grumpy and cranky for several more days (even with pain medication and smoothies for his throat). His ENT didn't seem to think that the adenoids removal could have caused that, though.

He only had one bad ear infection while the first set of ear tubes were working (and that was precipitated by a plane trip). Typically, oral antibiotics shouldn't be necessary with tubes because you can give ear drops right to the source via the tubes. If oral antibiotics are necessary for some reason, a lot of pharmacies can flavor them, which is the only way my son will take Augmentin. Did your daughter have her hearing tested after her ear tube placement? Our ENT said that's pretty standard and it might make you feel better about language development.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

momtartin posted:

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed as a child, and I also had tubes and later bobbins in my ears six times. I was a walking, talking, infected snot machine for a good couple of years as a kid. The adenoid removal helped, a lot. But what really, really helped was when my GP referred me to a dietician, and we did an elimination trial for all sorts of foods. I (my mom) kept a diary, and tracked my symptoms. It turns out that milk products were the culprit, and made me a huge mucus machine. As soon as I eliminated the milk, my symptoms dropped dramatically, like within a week or so. My other allergies pretty much went away, and I was having allergy shots at the time which became unnecessary. To this day I avoid milk products, and if I have some by accident (or on purpose, ha!), then it's like I have a head cold or allergies for a day or so until it leaves my body. I do regret that I had so much surgery that in hindsight, might not have been needed.

It might be worthwhile for you to consult with an allergist and a dietician for your daughter. A supervised elimination diet might help you to find nutritional triggers that could alleviate a lot of your daughter's suffering, and doesn't need to take very long either. Good luck!

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
This is really curiosity and not concern, but Lil' Meltdown will be nine months old soon and can't push himself into a sitting position yet without help. If we sit him down, he's fine. He army-crawls (so fast!) and he can pull to standing if you hold his hands, he just can't get his butt on the ground. What's up with that? My baby will eventually learn how to sit, right?

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Tourette Meltdown posted:

This is really curiosity and not concern, but Lil' Meltdown will be nine months old soon and can't push himself into a sitting position yet without help. If we sit him down, he's fine. He army-crawls (so fast!) and he can pull to standing if you hold his hands, he just can't get his butt on the ground. What's up with that? My baby will eventually learn how to sit, right?

With Emily, pushing herself up into a sit came hand-in-hand with hands and knees crawling, and that wasn't until around 10 months. Once she figured out how to get up on her hands and knees she learned how to push herself backwards onto her bum. So I wouldn't worry about it, they figure it out at their own pace.

Oh, and Chris army-crawled for about two months until her figured out how to crawl on his hands and knees, so that will come too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

yes. Kids do things in their own time and order. 9 months isn't really outside the developmental range to be doing things. If he's like 18 months, then you may have a problem. My boy rolled over 3 times before he started really crawling at 10 months. he was just big and lazy tbh. He could do it, but he didn't like to. Once he started being more mobile and exploring his environment he'd tumble and roll etc. I know he's just a baby and all, but sometimes they just may not want to do a certain thing. If he can crawl in some fashion and pull up, his motor skills for a 9 month old are probably just fine.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

jassi007 posted:

yes. Kids do things in their own time and order. 9 months isn't really outside the developmental range to be doing things. If he's like 18 months, then you may have a problem. My boy rolled over 3 times before he started really crawling at 10 months. he was just big and lazy tbh. He could do it, but he didn't like to. Once he started being more mobile and exploring his environment he'd tumble and roll etc. I know he's just a baby and all, but sometimes they just may not want to do a certain thing. If he can crawl in some fashion and pull up, his motor skills for a 9 month old are probably just fine.

This. Babies develop at their own speed. If you have no concerns about his learning or motor skills otherwise, I wouldn't worry about this outside of mentioning it at his next well visit.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

jassi007 posted:

he was just big and lazy tbh.

Big and lazy sounds like my baby! He's super active and inquisitive and is always going 110% (or sleeping), but he's seriously large, like 25lb, and he doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do. He sees the doc next week so I'll bring it up then, I'm not really concerned, but it's good to hear that it's normal.
Sorry about the baby dick and balls. Check out that gut!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does everyone in the world have that whale tub? I know we certainly do.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Does everyone in the world have that whale tub? I know we certainly do.

It's THE baby tub to give at showers, apparently. Can't complain, we love it, now that he doesn't hate baths.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Big and lazy sounds like my baby! He's super active and inquisitive and is always going 110% (or sleeping), but he's seriously large, like 25lb, and he doesn't do anything he doesn't want to do. He sees the doc next week so I'll bring it up then, I'm not really concerned, but it's good to hear that it's normal.
Sorry about the baby dick and balls. Check out that gut!

Cute! My little one turned 1 last weekend. He is 26lbs 7oz. My 2yr 10mo old is like 31 lbs.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, Briar was a huge baby too and could climb into the windowsills before she could sit up on her own, and if you put her in a sitting position at around 9 months, she would just wobble and slump over. She only learned how to sit up on her own at about the same time that she learned to walk at 13 months. Walking lasted for about a week and it's been sprinting ever since (she'll be 2 in August). Big babies seems to have a lot of gravity to work against I guess? I wouldn't worry about it unless your doctor finds cause for concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Cheap rear end diapers ahoy!

Do you have a Dollar General in town?

http://www.circularhub.com/mobile/dollargeneral-circular/flyers?hide=market&locale=en-US&postal_code=28078&store_code=12834&type=1

All Luvs are $6.50 a box and Swaddlers are $9.50 a box (all quantities and sizes)

Price match that poo poo at Target. The 138 ct Swaddlers is normally $35 at Target and a 10 GC with the purchase of two. Literally got 2 boxes for $9 bucks. drat!