Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Honestly, if people don't actually have the game rulebook at a GW store and ask the GW guy how to play, they should expect to get that response.

That first guy is a douche.

I own the new rulebook and had it with me in the store but that doesn't mean I have encyclopedic knowledge of every change between 6th and 7th. Also, the tournament they were holding was for people who were relatively new to 40k. Btw though, there's never really an appropriate time to be a jerk to your customers.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, at minimum three Knights is 1110 points.

Even with 100 extra points on my side I would have gotten my rear end handed to me so I'm not sure why I should be super pissed at him over that? The points issue was probably an honest mistake on his part--he put together the list pretty quickly and probably didn't add it up right.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

I know what you're thinking. Here comes Old Gregg, he's a giant robot. You don't know me. You don't know what I got. I got something to show you. *bright light shines* You know what that is? That's Old Gregg's ventgina. I've got a ventgina! I'M OLD GREGG!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So today was a very special day. It was my little brothers first game of 40k and my first game of 7th ed. We played at Local FLGS (Game Kastle Fremont for those in the Bay area) who have some great tables. It was a 1000pts my Nurgle CSM army against his Crimson Fists (all infranty except for my Daemon Prince)and we played Purge the Alien with DoW deployment to keep things simple.It was a fairly long game due to both of us having to adapt and get used to new rules but there was. Highlights included Demon Prince going Super Saiyan on Turn 2 and then preceding to fail all but 2 out of 11 attacks and Pedro and Typhus having an epic duel for 3 turns.

Heres my army after Deployment (sans my Oblits which I accidentally brought with)

Here he his deploying his forces

The dogs of the false Emperor try to surprise Typhus and his host of zombies from behind

Daemon Princes stares down a soon to dead unit.

Said duel between Typhus and Kantor. (Typhus won :unsmigghh: )

All said Fun and Hams were had.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
PierreTheMime is a baller and let me add a 30k section to the OP. You rock dude.

The rest of you- come play 30k mi lord

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Pyrolocutus posted:

No one ever comments on my Slaaneshi cultists lovelingly modeled with Compelete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome or XX Male Syndrome :(

H
A
W
T

I'd get my male gaze all over that, if you know what I mean.

BULBASAUR posted:

The rest of you- come play 30k mi lord

I'll play 30K when an actual xenos race gets introduced. :colbert:

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 15, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AbusePuppy posted:

H
A
W
T

I'd get my male gaze all over that, if you know what I mean.

I'll play 30K when an actual xenos race gets introduced. :colbert:

Wouldn't 30K xenos be pretty much equivalent to 40K xenos?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I'd be pretty tempted to give the Legio Cybernetica a go if my local meta was a bit more consistent about how kosher anything FW is on the table. Sometimes it's anything goes, others anything from a non-core GW book is forbidden, period.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think that the main problem with the rules of 40k are that people do not actually understand the rules of grammar at all.

Ugh.

Okay so I found a couple of Daemonette substitutes but they all have tits.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/ar/t9270.htm

So if anyone has some substitute non tits figures for slaanesh that would be great. Dicks are okay, I'm not saying I'm specifically looking for dick figures. Just that I'd be cool with that.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 15, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's too bad that people always go for the Sexed Up Demon Lady models for Slaneesh. Personally, I'd have demons running around with giant needles and piles of coke, but that's just me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, I like the original Daemonettes not the new ones. I dunno I think the new ones are purposefully to "sexy".

I've thought of going with something like a unit of Dark Elves ( weird cult people with masks who's name I can't remember" but even those have tits. Grrr.

I want creepy and disgusting , vaguely sexual not " tits everywhere, nothing but huge tits".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I like the original Daemonettes not the new ones. I dunno I think the new ones are purposefully to "sexy".

I've thought of going with something like a unit of Dark Elves ( weird cult people with masks who's name I can't remember" but even those have tits. Grrr.

I want creepy and disgusting , vaguely sexual not " tits everywhere, nothing but huge tits".

These ones, right?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

JerryLee posted:

You could say the same about Marines as well.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's too bad that people always go for the Sexed Up Demon Lady models for Slaneesh. Personally, I'd have demons running around with giant needles and piles of coke, but that's just me.

Unfortunately Slaanesh's themes don't lend themselves well to 40K-styled visual aesthetics.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy poo poo, that Kromlech stuff is loving sweet. Can Blood Axe the gently caress out of Orks really quick with those bitz.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

You could say the same about Marines as well.

Really? Legiones Astartes have many significant differences from their brothers ten thousand years hence: organization, technology, Primarchs still kicking around, &c. Have the Eldar or Orks changed as significantly over the same time period, names and faces aside?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JerryLee posted:

I don't think 30k Tau have Ceramite-piercing spears in their tribal armies :v:

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

JerryLee posted:

Really? Legiones Astartes have many significant differences from their brothers ten thousand years hence: organization, technology, Primarchs still kicking around, &c. Have the Eldar or Orks changed as significantly over the same time period, names and faces aside?

I don't know about Orcs, but the Eldar might be interesting. Their Fall and the birth of Slaanesh and the formation of the Eye also cleared out the warp storms around Terra, and let the Empra go out and start kicking but. The Eldar craftworlds would be around, as well as the Exodites, but maybe the most interesting faction would be the pockets of pre-Fall Eldar that haven't all died out and been eaten by Slaanesh yet. It would be something like a mix of Dark Eldar and Craftworld Eldar, maybe more fantastical technology but severely limited in number. And they would always be wanting to party like it's twenty nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

30k needs Space Slann.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JerryLee posted:

Not entirely. Tyrannids haven't shown up yet and neither have the Tau. The Necrons haven't started waking up. Arguably the Eldar and Dark Eldar should be roughly similar, as would the Orks. But the big advantage to Xenos in 30k would be giving you a chance to play with some of the races that are marginalized or extinct in 40. Like the Hrud, maybe. Or those Megarachnids from Horus Rising. That kind of thing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Okay, I obviously wasn't clear :v:

Wouldn't the xenos that are around in 30k be more or less culturally, technologically, etc. equivalent to their 40k counterparts? Since the Craftworld eldar are pretty much stagnant after the birth of Slaanesh dies down, as far as I was aware (though Squifferific's idea sounds interesting) and Orks is Orks.

Xenos species that aren't around in 40k sound interesting, but I dunno if GW wants to open up the can of worms by reminding everyone that they wrote all the cool races into going extinct along the way :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Well, you should say that then. :colbert:

See the Dark Eldar wouldn't haven been super Dark yet. I mean it would only be a few hundred years since Slaanesh was born, so the whole formalized Pain = Slaanesh Distraction wouldn't be a full on thing just yet. Your Dark Eldar would probably be closer to the Crone World Eldar than they would their modern equivalents. I suspect you're right that the Craftowrld Eldar, on the other hand, would probably be mostly unchanged. Orks is Orks.

Oooh, I wonder if any of the Great Old Ones would still be around. Maybe some lizard based Saurian army that takes inspiration from Fantasy Lizard men?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'd like to see Xenos in 30k, but at the rate their going its probably way easier to play 30k in 40k instead of waiting for forgeworld to get to alien races.

jng2058 posted:

Not entirely. Tyrannids haven't shown up yet and neither have the Tau. The Necrons haven't started waking up. Arguably the Eldar and Dark Eldar should be roughly similar, as would the Orks. But the big advantage to Xenos in 30k would be giving you a chance to play with some of the races that are marginalized or extinct in 40. Like the Hrud, maybe. Or those Megarachnids from Horus Rising. That kind of thing.

I read somewhere that the Megarachnids (or something like them) are one of the few alien races that humanity hasn't been able to eradicate from the systems they originally inhabited, and are still fighting them millennium later.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

See the Dark Eldar wouldn't haven been super Dark yet. I mean it would only be a few hundred years since Slaanesh was born, so the whole formalized Pain = Slaanesh Distraction wouldn't be a full on thing just yet. Your Dark Eldar would probably be closer to the Crone World Eldar than they would their modern equivalents.

There's a short story in the first Horus Heresy collection called Wolf at the Door where the wolves encounter some fairly typical Dark Eldar shortly before loving off to attack Prospero, so I'd argue that Dark Eldar are fairly unchanged too, unless the author got it wrong which isn't outside possibility.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Hollismason posted:

In the fluff, Daemonettes are alluring and beautiful even with their claws and stuff, they aren't supposed to be creepy or disgusting. I'd guess that they are usually more female than male because they are trying to corrupt enemies that are largely men.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Lungboy posted:

In the fluff, Daemonettes are alluring and beautiful even with their claws and stuff, they aren't supposed to be creepy or disgusting. I'd guess that they are usually more female than male because they are trying to corrupt enemies that are largely men.

There's also the fact they're called daemonettes.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

There's also the fact they're called daemonettes.

But maybe that's because they're being observed and documented by men....

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

What is it with French Bitz stores being awesome? Because now I've found another store that has a separate Demolisher turret in stock so I can magnetize that for my Punisher and Executioner guns that I've got left over from my previous one.
And then some day I can just buy a spare body of them if I want to put that extra turret into use.
Not to mention it's way way cheaper than if I was ever to buy the turret off ebay too. :woop:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

These ones, right?

Yes, I like those the best.

I know their a little "off" but I just like them they're gross and disgusting.

Also, christ I have to stay out of rules discussion elsewhere because I've literally explained the grammatical rules of the English language to someone. Ugh. I feel dirty.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 15, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lungboy posted:

They are alluring because of glamors though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (because the beholder is high as gently caress).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Which is why i don't like the models now as they seem to be over sexualized and I just want something disturbing. I dunno I just don't like them.

I have found some kick rear end stuff though in my search.

Like Cthulhu cultists

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=2844

Like these guys

Also they have some other really cool Daemon models and Cthulhu stuff.

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=1880

That is a bad rear end Cthulhu monster.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What can I use Valkyies for? I see some for cheap and don't know if I want them

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They're pretty good Flyers, with the whole 3 twinlinked lascannons ( I think that's what they have).

They got nerfed a bit with the new codex but needed it. A guy I plays uses them pretty regularly and their annoying as poo poo to kill.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

They're pretty good Flyers, with the whole 3 twinlinked lascannons ( I think that's what they have).

They got nerfed a bit with the new codex but needed it. A guy I plays uses them pretty regularly and their annoying as poo poo to kill.

The vendetta has the triple las cannon. Valkyries have the missiles.

I don't play guard and haven't played against guard since the new codex but vendettas were plentiful and Valkyries not so much. Though I'm not sure if this is the case now.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey, finally got to play an actual game last night. 1000pts, my Eldar vs a friend's Orks.

My list was something like:

HQ

Autarch
Farseer

TROOPS
5x Dire Avengers w/Wave Serpent
5x Dire Avengers

ELITES
6x Harlequins incl. troupe leader and death jester

FAST ATTACK
5x Warp Spiders
5x Warp Spiders

HEAVY SUPPORT
Falcon

His list was something like this, I don't remember the details:

HQ
Warboss on super cyboar
Nob bodyguard on boar

TROOPS
30x Boyz choppa/shoota
30x Boys slugga
30x Gretchin with blastas + 3x gruntherds

Needless to say, I had won a decisive 5-0 victory by the time the game ended on turn 5. He had almost no shooting capable of damaging my mans (let alone my vehicles) and aside from his boss's 3+ save, his best armor save was a 6+ and most of his troops didn't even have that. Conversely, most of my mans had a 3+ save and his strongest weapon was S4 AP6. He never got into assault at all, which was the only way he could have stood a chance. Mostly my tanks shot his troops to hell, making them flee off the table, and then my Avengers and Spiders picked off the rest. I lost one squad of spiders because I jumped them into dangerous terrain and four of them failed their test, but that was mostly because I wanted to see what would happen - the game was already decided after turn 1 when I achieved all 3 of my initial tactical objectives.

However...we both still don't fully know the rules, in practice anyway. Mostly it's an issue of not being familiar enough with the stats of our respective weapons and units, or the applicable special rules, but the new edition's changes didn't help. I'm sure we messed up a bunch of them, but, oh well.

A few rules questions did emerge, though, let me see if I can recall all of them...

1 - when two characters get in a challenge (my Farseer and his Boss, e.g.) do they just fight one round of combat per turn, or do we keep rolling until one of them dies?

2 - when an independent character who's been attached to a unit (said Farseer with a squad of Dire Avengers) gets challenged out of the unit, the rest of the unit has to just stand there, yes? Or can they actually go do stuff like assault and shoot at other targets?

3 - maybe I'm just functionally illiterate, but how far apart do friendly units have to be? My opponent had so many mans (194 models on the table to my 30) that he had trouble fitting them all into his deployment zone.

4 - we're supposed to remove casualties starting with the closest models. So, when my I5 Eldar kill all of the Orkz in base-to-base contact with them, can any of the remaining Orks strike back? The rules say that models in contact with the enemy can fight, and any models within 2" of models in contact can fight, but if there are no more models in contact then there can't be any models within 2" of models in contact.

Obviously these didn't affect the outcome, and we both had fun, but it's always good to check.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Apollodorus posted:

A few rules questions did emerge, though, let me see if I can recall all of them...

1 - when two characters get in a challenge (my Farseer and his Boss, e.g.) do they just fight one round of combat per turn, or do we keep rolling until one of them dies?

2 - when an independent character who's been attached to a unit (said Farseer with a squad of Dire Avengers) gets challenged out of the unit, the rest of the unit has to just stand there, yes? Or can they actually go do stuff like assault and shoot at other targets?

3 - maybe I'm just functionally illiterate, but how far apart do friendly units have to be? My opponent had so many mans (194 models on the table to my 30) that he had trouble fitting them all into his deployment zone.

4 - we're supposed to remove casualties starting with the closest models. So, when my I5 Eldar kill all of the Orkz in base-to-base contact with them, can any of the remaining Orks strike back? The rules say that models in contact with the enemy can fight, and any models within 2" of models in contact can fight, but if there are no more models in contact then there can't be any models within 2" of models in contact.

Obviously these didn't affect the outcome, and we both had fun, but it's always good to check.
1 - Characters locked in a challenge fight one round of combat per turn until it is resolved just as if they were participating in any normal assault phase.

2 - 7th Edition substantially changed how challenges work in this regard. The Outside Forces rule (p.102) allows any models involved in combat to allocate attacks/wounds to models in a challenge if no other valid target exists. Essentially if a lone character model assaults a character and a unit, the unit will get to attack the lone character normally, even though they are engaged in a challenge. The downside to this is now excess wounds from challenges can spill into non-challenge models.

3 - There is no limit to how close friendly units can be to one another, so long as you remember where one ends and the other begins.

4 - At the Ork's initiative step (I2), they would move 3" forward to meet your unit in combat. If they are unable to make it to base-to-base contact at that time they cannot fight back and the assault round ends, calculating assault results, morale, etc. At the very end of the Assault Phase models from units engaged in close combat that are not in base-to-base contact make an additional Pile In move (p.53). It is possible for the distance to be too far to close (if it was a horrific slaughter of like 28 of 30 Orks or something); models from each side just keep making Pile In moves until they finally meet back up.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. A couple more questions:

PierreTheMime posted:

2 - 7th Edition substantially changed how challenges work in this regard. The Outside Forces rule (p.102) allows any models involved in combat to allocate attacks/wounds to models in a challenge if no other valid target exists. Essentially if a lone character model assaults a character and a unit, the unit will get to attack the lone character normally, even though they are engaged in a challenge. The downside to this is now excess wounds from challenges can spill into non-challenge models.

This makes sense, BUT, his Boss had a Nob bodyguard as well. Should my Dire Avengers (to whom the Farseer was attached) have been fighting the Nob until they killed him, and THEN attacked the Boss?

PierreTheMime posted:

4 - At the Ork's initiative step (I2), they would move 3" forward to meet your unit in combat. If they are unable to make it to base-to-base contact at that time they cannot fight back and the assault round ends, calculating assault results, morale, etc. At the very end of the Assault Phase models from units engaged in close combat that are not in base-to-base contact make an additional Pile In move (p.53). It is possible for the distance to be too far to close (if it was a horrific slaughter of like 28 of 30 Orks or something); models from each side just keep making Pile In moves until they finally meet back up.

In the first assault at least, my Harlequins, who all had like 4 attacks, killed so many Orks that, because of the way the Orks had been crammed into the scenery, all of the Orks within about 6" of the Harlequins had been wiped out, so it seems we did play this the right way. We forgot about the pile-in move but the Orks fell back anyway, so it didn't really affect the outcome.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I have never played Warhammer but have a passing interest in trying. Someone I know mentioned letting Island of Blood go for pretty cheap, would this be a good set to start with? I essentially want to are if its the kind of thing I could get into.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Fat Turkey posted:

I have never played Warhammer but have a passing interest in trying. Someone I know mentioned letting Island of Blood go for pretty cheap, would this be a good set to start with? I essentially want to are if its the kind of thing I could get into.

That's the Fantasy Warhammer starter, this is the scifi Warhammer thread :)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Island of Blood is High Elves and Skaven from Warhammer Fantasy. That forum is over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411068.

THIS forum is Warhammer 40k, which is a lot of the same poo poo but with guns. If what you want is 40k, then Island of Blood is a terrible choice, because it's the wrong game. You'll have to ask our fantastic brothers in their forum about whether Island of Blood is any good for Fantasy. Unlike my 40k guys, my WFB Dwarf army is still packed up in a box in the garage and I've not kept up with developments on the Fantasy side.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Fat Turkey posted:

Wrong thread but island of blood is heavily weighted towards the elves. It's a good set to learn the game but don't expect it to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Is a CSM Tzeentch/Tzeentch Daemons army gonna be any good if I actually do this terrible hobby?

edit: How about a Grey Knights (Thousand Sons counts-as) and Daemons? Is that even possible?

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 15, 2014

• Locked thread