Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

C Milne to Abbott re:DD- "Bring It!"

http://greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/greens-set-renewable-energy-double-dissolution-trigger-july

Captain Cowardice will avoid it though. "Crazy Greens" News Ltd will respond.

So it's still a case of much ado about nothing, then? I can't work out whether this DD stuff is taken seriously by anyone or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/13/children-christmas-island-attend-catholic-education-centre posted:

Children detained on Christmas Island to attend Catholic-run education centre

Scott Morrison signs deal to provide full-time education to up to 150 asylum-seeker children

Christmas Island detention centre An aerial view of the Christmas Island detention centre. Photograph: Lloyd Jones/AAP

Children asylum seekers in detention on Christmas Island will attend a learning centre run by the Catholic Education Office of Western Australia.

The immigration minister, Scott Morrison, announced on Friday the signing of a deal to provide full-time education services for detainee children, following long-running concerns about the adequacy of schooling available to young asylum seekers on the island.

The agreement with the Catholic Education Office flows on from the government's decision to allocate $2.6m in last month's budget "to fund access to full-time school education for all school-aged illegal maritime arrivals on Christmas Island".

Morrison said the learning centre at the island's Phosphate Hill Alternative Place of Detention would enrol up to 150 children and provide full-time education for all kindergarten, primary and high school-aged children detained on the island.

The Catholic Education Office was currently recruiting a principal, teachers and teaching assistants, the government’s statement said. The office would deliver services from term three but would not provide religious instruction.

"It is the government’s responsibility to ensure that detainee children within Australian facilities receive full-time schooling, in line with Australian community standards," Morrison said.

“Services under Labor did not allow for detainee children on Christmas Island to attend school on a daily basis, contrary to Australian community standards.

"Arrangements under Labor provided for just 24 primary school-aged children to attend classes. When Labor left office there were 140 primary-aged children on Christmas Island and there are 56 today. Worse still, these inadequate arrangements were due to cease on June 30."

The Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young said the children deserved "to be sent to a proper school, to play and learn with local children, and just be kids".

“These children have been waiting too long to now be told they won't get the opportunity to attend a proper school," Hanson-Young said. "It is the government's responsibility to ensure the best educational outcomes for these children and that means allowing them to attend school outside the gates of the detention centre."

Last month's budget papers said education would be "delivered through the local school system under an arrangement with the Western Australian Department of Education". A spokeswoman for Morrison said: "At the time of publication education services were provided by the WA government. The WA government subsequently advised that it was ceasing arrangements and alternate education providers were sought."

In 2012 the Australian Human Rights Commission issued a report highlighting the need to improve asylum-seeker children's access to education services on the island.

In November 2013 the president of the Christmas Island council called on the federal government to resolve the housing crisis on the island so children in detention could continue to receive schooling.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Oh for gently caress's sake :cripes:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
some people manage to go to Catholic school and turn out alright :shrug:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Negligent posted:

I'm pretty hosed up.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

slingshot effect posted:

Less wages means more jobs cry the Exhalted Job Creators, safe in the knowledge that no one with a voice loud enough to be heard will call them out on their craven bullshittery, as if lower wages won't just mean keep the same amount of young people employed but working them harder to wring out every last drop of cheap labour capital.

Next time I'm going to hand out HTVs for the benevolent philosopher godkings.

If people can't afford to buy things it'll prob lead to less employment.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Then they should get another job.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I'm glad they are getting the opportunity for an education, as they very well should be. But this comment by Morrison:

quote:

"It is the government’s responsibility to ensure that detainee children within Australian facilities receive full-time schooling, in line with Australian community standards,"

Holy poo poo. How has this man not formed some kind of irony singularity by now and collapsed in on himself.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

the Australian community is generally pretty okay with Catholic education, it's Islamic education you'd have resistance to

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I think that theoretically it's okay for Catholic Education to provide education to asylum seekers, as long as they don't try to shove bibles down the kids' throats. Unfortunately, I don't really trust a religious organisation not to do that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Negligent posted:

Name one.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hi.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

He said turned out alright.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:iceburn:

I only joke because I went to catholic schools too.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The high school i went to got taken over by a head master who was also a priest :shrug:

Naturally religion became a big thing my last two years of high school

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The point was to get influx to nominate himself and empty quote it to infinity you bozos.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gough Suppressant posted:

The point was to get influx to nominate himself and empty quote it to infinity you bozos.
Careful who you call a bozo, mate.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Hey now, I went to a Catholic high school and turned out just fine. It was run by Jesuits and the bible classes were optional.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man that last page was chock full of bad and sad news.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I was asked to leave (not officially expelled because then they have to refer you to another) Catholic school and I am generally hosed up but I don't quite know where that anecdote fits in with the data.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
You weren't hosed up enough for them.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Probably. Smells like teen spirituality

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
i went to catholic school and i hated it and wanted to kill my are self but i'm mostly okay now i think

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Went to Catholic private schools from year 6 onwards. I didn't really care for the religious stuff myself and was very critical of the Catholic faith in Religious Education but oddly enough the very religious teacher we had marked me highly and was very encouraging of my work despite his personal belief which I didn't expect. He did kind of ruin any respect I had for him, however, when he tried to implement starting our Science class with prayer, at which the entire class pretty much complained as a whole.

In regards to asylum seekers, though, I think it's pretty insensitive as a lot of these people are Muslim or not the least Catholic/Christian. Not that Reichsmarschall Scott Morrison gives a crap about that.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I didn't go to Catholic school I was in the state government system from pre-primary to year 12.

I believe that a teacher who is Catholic or works for a Catholic education organisation is nevertheless capable of satisfactorily delivering lessons. There is no reasonable grounds for religious discrimination.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
any school is better than no school and playing in dirt until you kill yourself.

i'm assuming that they are providing 'Catholic education' and not 'Catholic "Education"'

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Realtalk: a person in the Catholic sector is capable of delivering lessons as capably as someone in a secular one.

This isn't why Morrison is having people from the Catholic Education Office deliver lessons though.

He's doing it because he's a racist piece of poo poo who wants to pray the brown Muslim away.

When it comes out that they're giving religious education which amounts to "how tops is Jesus? Boy, the pope is swell dude" I'm not going to be surprised in the least.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Haters Objector posted:

i'm assuming that they are providing 'Catholic education' and not 'Catholic "Education"'

that's a pretty terrible assumption

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
They're going to teach them reading and writing and maths and so on it's been a while since I was five.

They are also going to teach them some tops poo poo about Jesus mate just how good is that white anglo saxon jesus fellow huh.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Captain Pissweak posted:

I'm pretty hosed up.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
also, didnt talk to a girl until i was 19

thanks jesuits

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I went to a co-ed Anglican school with chapel once a semester and a chaplain that moonlighted as one of the middle school science teachers

I think I got pretty lucky

edit: the chaplain-cum-science teacher had no weird religious young earth/creationist type poo poo going on

Jonah Galtberg fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 15, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My Brother had to explain to his Christian science teacher that no, there is a pretty good theory about the formation of the moon, there is no big scientific mystery only explainable by God, and that he was an idiot.

Captain Pissweak posted:

Realtalk: a person in the Catholic sector is capable of delivering lessons as capably as someone in a secular one.

So theoretically yes, but I'd never send my kids to a religious school and just hope for the best.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
At the Catholic school I went to, absolutely none of the teachers gave a poo poo about Jesus, including the people who had to teach Religious Ed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Public School Learned Scum reporting

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I must have been lucky to go to a Catholic school where all the religious stuff was kept strictly in the bible study classes. In fact students themselves could opt out of that class even if their parents wanted them to go. I remember an incident where some parent showed up and started shouting at the staff in the main office about her son not going to bible studies. Eventually the principal came and talked to her and told her that the school refuses to force religion on an unwilling child.

I guess Australia has more in the way of fundamentalist Catholicism?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Being at a Catholic school taught me one important thing:

If there is a hell, it is a Catholic school.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I went to a co-ed Anglican school with chapel once a semester and a chaplain that moonlighted as one of the middle school science teachers

I think I got pretty lucky

edit: the chaplain-cum-science teacher had no weird religious young earth/creationist type poo poo going on

Anglicans are the sorta alright ones.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah I used to play against kids from a bunch of Catholic all-boys schools in sport, there was always something a bit off about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome
I went to a catholic convent school but I was very, very lucky. It was a crunchy granola lefty socially progressive school. We got taught about privilege and why we had a responsibility to give to others less fortunate. I did my first feminism subject at 13 and went to my first protest with the nuns at 14. The religious stuff was fairly constant but we were taught to question and challenge and the year 12 religious studies class was basically comparative religion. We also got taught about indigenous history since white settlement from a sandal wearing hippy former sociology university lecturer.

So very lucky.

Single sex schools aren’t great for social development though. I made some dumb, dumb decisions when I got to Uni ….. sigh.

• Locked thread