Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Would it help if I included a set of jumpstartle timestamps in each update? Just spoilertagged times to turn down the volume and/or brace yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I agree. Most jump scares in both movies and games are pretty much just "jump startles", which is extremely lazy, especially when combined with SUDDEN EXTREMELY LOUD DRAMATIC BLARING. It's such a cheap trick.

At least they play up the creepy and unsettling vibe a lot, as well.

I wish there was more subtle horror stuff in general. You know, scenes that are more unsettling than shocking, or something like that one scene from a movie I can't remember the title of right now. One of the characters is walking around a kitchen, having a smoke. Nothing looks weird or out of place, there are no musical cues at all. But after she goes to get a glass of water, there is a cut and something in the background isn't there anymore. Then you realize that one of the killers was right there in front of you through the whole drat scene, watching her.

E: It was The Strangers. You should all watch it right now, preferably before reading the spoiler.

Wait... are you kidding?

The scene in question lasts about 40 seconds and was so awful my theater broke out in hysterical laughter. He just stands there, more or less dick in hand clearly visible and then vanishes without a noise or a trace an instant before she turns around. It was just awful, the whole film was.

I know its a different strokes for different folks sort of thing, but it just boggles my mind that anyone recommends the stranger without an attached rifftrax or something, and I went in HOPING to like that film. :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Caros posted:

Wait... are you kidding?

The scene in question lasts about 40 seconds and was so awful my theater broke out in hysterical laughter. He just stands there, more or less dick in hand clearly visible and then vanishes without a noise or a trace an instant before she turns around. It was just awful, the whole film was.

I know its a different strokes for different folks sort of thing, but it just boggles my mind that anyone recommends the stranger without an attached rifftrax or something, and I went in HOPING to like that film. :psyduck:

Not kidding, I liked it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

DumbRodent posted:

Would it help if I included a set of jumpstartle timestamps in each update? Just spoilertagged times to turn down the volume and/or brace yourself.

I, being a huge wuss, would genuinely appreciate this.

Caros posted:

He just stands there, more or less dick in hand clearly visible and then vanishes without a noise or a trace an instant before she turns around. It was just awful, the whole film was.

Is there like a gif of this around? It'd probably work better than watching a whole movie I've heard nothing but bad about.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This sounds like a scene that is very effective if the audience's suspension of disbelief has been earned, but totally fails if this isn't the case. A lot like this game, apparently!

...Seeing it, posted below, I'm not quite sure what the director was going for. There's a little motion on his part just before it cuts to an eyeline shot from his perspective, so I think the slight motion is supposed to get the audience to notice him and freak out. The problem is that the shot is framed in such a way that the dude will be noticeable to a large percentage of the audience almost immediately- he's where you'd expect someone else to be standing based on the camera position and direction.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 15, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Is there like a gif of this around? It'd probably work better than watching a whole movie I've heard nothing but bad about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB_AE9cq9Q

Remember, you're supposed to be watching her, not looking for creepy stuff in the background. Now that you know it's there, it kinda kills the idea.

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

KozmoNaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB_AE9cq9Q

Remember, you're supposed to be watching her, not looking for creepy stuff in the background. Now that you know it's there, it kinda kills the idea.

Urgh.

The guy should have been there from the very beginning of the scene, not awkwardly strolling in mid-scene. Then the guy actually CONTINUES to move, shifting his weight constantly; eye-draw, eye-draw, eye-draw. Then the awkward camera framing bends over backward to keep him in the scene, and in the unlikely event the viewer still hasn't noticed the dude, surely he/she will notice him then.

Ironically, I think it's more likely the director actually intended for the viewer to immediately notice the guy standing there. Otherwise, this scene just doesn't understand at all how to really conceal something in plain sight; you do it by making the object/person you're trying to hide remain completely still. Movement receptors in our eyes we spent millions of years evolving as a survival mechanism should instantly draw your attention to anomalous movement like that in an otherwise still background.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Edit: Liv Tyler's cute, though. Maybe KozmoNaut was just so entranced with her elfin charm it made the scene work. :p

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 15, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ninotoreS posted:

Urgh.

The guy should have been there from the very beginning of the scene, not awkwardly strolling in mid-scene. Then the guy actually CONTINUES to move, shifting his weight constantly; eye-draw, eye-draw, eye-draw. Then the awkward camera framing bends over backward to keep him in the scene, and in the unlikely event the viewer still hasn't noticed the dude, surely he/she will notice him then.

Ironically, I think it's more likely the director actually intended for the viewer to immediately notice the guy standing there. Otherwise, this scene just doesn't understand at all how to really conceal something in plain sight; you do it by making the object/person you're trying to hide remain completely still. Movement receptors in our eyes we spent millions of years evolving as a survival mechanism should instantly draw your attention to anomalous movement like that in an otherwise still background.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Edit: Liv Tyler's cute, though. Maybe KozmoNaut was just so entranced with her elfin charm it made the scene work. :p

It says a lot when your average Slenderman video on Youtube has better framing and understanding of background elements than a big-budget Hollywood movie. I think the camera wiggling about was supposed to counteract it, but it just makes the whole thing look even sillier.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ninotoreS posted:

It's very likely, it's been a while since I watched it.

I'm more of an Evangeline Lilly man, these days :swoon:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DumbRodent posted:

That would be great, thank you.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
I just caught up, and I have to add my vote to the "you are doing great" pile. Keep it up!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Let me jump in on the Bandwagon and say that you're doing awesome. The commentary is top notch, being both atmospheric and subtly sarcastic at the same time. Also, oh man does Dr. Tager have a nice voice. I'd let him to horrible, unethical medical experiments on me whenever he wanted.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Outlast is 75% off today on the Steam Summer Sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238320/

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

mcclay posted:

Let me jump in on the Bandwagon and say that you're doing awesome. The commentary is top notch, being both atmospheric and subtly sarcastic at the same time. Also, oh man does Dr. Tager have a nice voice. I'd let him to horrible, unethical medical experiments on me whenever he wanted.

The voice acting in this game is generally a really fun time.

Cardiovorax posted:

That would be great, thank you.

No problem. Check the OP for a list of timecodes for the louder jumpscares. :cheers:

Also yes, 5$ for Outlast is a great deal. I really suggest anybody who's enjoyed the game so far pick it up and play it for themselves.
I'm sure I'm a broken record at this point, but seriously- thanks to everyone giving input you beautiful, beautiful people.
Update #5 tomorrow! Probably.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 22, 2014

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Episode Five- Persecutory Delusions --Video!--

Documents & Notes

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 26, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Really excellent work.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I have no idea why, but I'm liking this game more than Amnesia. Maybe it's because the plot and danger is more straightforward or my innate love for B-movie touches. I will give Amnesia more credit in terms of more gameplay and a cool haunting atmosphere, but Outlast has been winning me over.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

We've kind of got a Dead Space 1 Isaac Clarke thing going on with our protagonist, haven't we? Doesn't talk out loud but definitely writes down his thoughts a lot and screams.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The moment where you whipped out the camera in the elevator after killing Trager without making a comment in between was incredibly funny to me. Then the note showed up and I couldn't help but laugh.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.
This is actually really fun to watch, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with your subdued and minimalist commentary. The delivery is great too, and really fits the atmosphere of the game, which I'm finding to generally be better than Amnesia's, personally. I was really happy to see this LP had updated, and I'm looking forward to more.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

A Bystander posted:

The moment where you whipped out the camera in the elevator after killing Trager without making a comment in between was incredibly funny to me. Then the note showed up and I couldn't help but laugh.

Whoa, look, a dead guy ! Quick, my camera, I gotta instagram this poo poo !

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I wonder how long it would take me to literally jump and it happened at the twenty eight minute mark. I had to laugh when you pointed the camera at Trager's arse and then switched on the light, were you looking to see where he had stashed your fingers?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

legendsuper posted:

No lie, if that mountain had cellphone service, Evilco would be up to its eyeballs in litigation right now. The OSHA violations alone would probably warrant government kill-teams at every corporate location.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So I want to note something cool on the part of the developers. You see that "wiggle the mouse" thing he got in order to free himself from the chair?

Originally there were a lot more of those, mostly to get loose from some inmate or other as a QTE. Everybody hated them, though, so the developers actually patched most of them out. This included changing some of the animations for those sequences so they'd work without the QTE.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

A Bystander posted:

It really is a great little moment, isn't it? The note you get from that particular shot is written perfectly, sort of the thing you would say before launching into hysterical laughter which eventually trails off into wracking, terrified sobs. And possible screaming.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's great how all the hand animations help the immersion. It actually feels pretty gruesome to watch Miles have to grab and shove things now that he's two fingers short.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Speedball posted:

We've kind of got a Dead Space 1 Isaac Clarke thing going on with our protagonist, haven't we? Doesn't talk out loud but definitely writes down his thoughts a lot and screams.

This is probably one of the reasons I like Miles so much. I want to see him survive more than most survival horror protagonists, since he's well-characterized while remaining quiet and unobtrusive enough to not kill my sense of being there.
Felt the same way about Isaac. Probably helps(?) that both can die in really horrible ways if you slip up.

A Bystander posted:

legendsuper posted:

resurgam40 posted:

It really is a great little moment, isn't it? The note you get from that particular shot is written perfectly, sort of the thing you would say before launching into hysterical laughter which eventually trails off into wracking, terrified sobs. And possible screaming.

Yeah, that note's probably one of my favorite moments in the game. Seeing Miles finally actually do something about one of his Stalkers was pretty great and the note was just perfect.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I had to laugh when you pointed the camera at Trager's arse and then switched on the light, were you looking to see where he had stashed your fingers?

I... I don't know.
I do not know.

davidspackage posted:

It's great how all the hand animations help the immersion. It actually feels pretty gruesome to watch Miles have to grab and shove things now that he's two fingers short.

Yeah. I know Torture Is the New Black in video games, every new release just has to have a torture sequence, but not many leave a constant reminder of your character's experience right there on the screen. Metal Gear Solid 3's distorted first-person camera is the only other example I can really think of.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I actually find the loss of fingers, and lack of effort to treat them, pretty immersion-breaking. I understand having reminders of your disfigurement in gameplay is nice, but they really needed to have Miles bandage them at least a little- in reality he'd have bled out several times by now.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Discendo Vox posted:

I actually find the loss of fingers, and lack of effort to treat them, pretty immersion-breaking. I understand having reminders of your disfigurement in gameplay is nice, but they really needed to have Miles bandage them at least a little- in reality he'd have bled out several times by now.

Pretty valid complaint. The lack of Miles actually tending to his fingers is probably meant to add to the sense that you're being constantly hunted and don't have time to stop and tend to your wounds.

I'm sure Trager knew what he was doing when he took the fingers anyways. Wouldn't want his patients to fade so early in their procedure.

e: I did a bit of poking around. From what I can tell the average person wouldn't necessarily bleed out from losing a couple fingers. No major arteries were severed.
Still a lot of blood loss.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 26, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The bloodloss is one thing, but it's basic instinct to want to protect or cover a wound in some way or another, especially one that grievous. You could easily argue that Miles is in a mild state of shock (and probably getting worse every time something smacks him), but the fact he doesn't even rip up a sheet during a quiet moment is a real niggle for me.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The bloodloss is one thing, but it's basic instinct to want to protect or cover a wound in some way or another, especially one that grievous. You could easily argue that Miles is in a mild state of shock (and probably getting worse every time something smacks him), but the fact he doesn't even rip up a sheet during a quiet moment is a real niggle for me.

Yeah. It doesn't bother me enough to make me dislike the sequence, but it would have been nice if Miles would have tended to the wounds a bit. They probably wanted to keep the discomfort factor in for every time you grab onto a rusty vent ledge with Miles' stumps.

I can buy that he's in shock, though. Not a huge stretch.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Of course it would make sense to tend, cleanse and suture the wounds. But there's also the facts that the protagonist is trapped, managed to break free of his entrapment and has a very short time window to make his escape. When he does make his escape he's constantly hounded until he's freed of his pursuer, only to face himself immediately with an older foe who he also needs to escape and isn't given much freedom in his actions to do so. The quieter moments in the latest episode have been more about making sure he isn't followed and about making sure he has opportunities to make more progress to freedom. Also some parts without chases have been mainly corridors with little material. Apart from the room with the mad man bathing a corpse. Despite the blood loss, no major arteries have been severed and there's accounts of people surviving far worse injuries.

If we're going by instincts, if a mad man cut off your fingers while conscious, would you rather tend to the wounds while he's in the next room or run as far away as possible to safety? Personally, I wouldn't stick around to see what's next.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its really just to keep the flow of the game going. Tearing off a bedsheet and wrapping his fingers up would be "realistic" but horror movies/games have never been about realism and stopping the game just to add that in, or making the player go find a first aid kit would be ruinous. Remember that Miles has had so many high falls by this point that his spine should be several dozen different pieces, not to mention crawling over glass, rusty metal, gallon after gallon of blood...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

1stGear posted:

Its really just to keep the flow of the game going. Tearing off a bedsheet and wrapping his fingers up would be "realistic" but horror movies/games have never been about realism and stopping the game just to add that in, or making the player go find a first aid kit would be ruinous. Remember that Miles has had so many high falls by this point that his spine should be several dozen different pieces, not to mention crawling over glass, rusty metal, gallon after gallon of blood...
This. Don't think too hard about it, the whole thing runs on B-horror logic.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Mostly I feel like he should be making pain noises every time he puts his hand on something because goddamn that must hurt.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Personally I'm surprised that Mile's camera isn't covered in blood.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
More importantly, how the hell does Miles's handwriting not suffer from a lack of an index finger? The ring, sure, whatever, but your index finger is arguably the most important finger next to your thumb, he's writing remarkably clearly holding a pen with three fingers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe he's a lefty.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

malkav11 posted:

Mostly I feel like he should be making pain noises every time he puts his hand on something because goddamn that must hurt.

It already sounds like he's making pain noises all the time.

Although I imagine that if you're still moving, you've lost the ability to really feel it thanks to shock or something, assuming the capillaries tightened up due to amputation and you didn't bleed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I'm actually kinda stunned the game went that far. I was sort of expecting a fake out of one kind or another. But he actually did it. I probably shouldn't be surprised. I've played bio shock burial at sea, so I know it's possible for games to pull that. But it still catches me off guard every time they do it.

Sometimes the way you hide just makes me laugh. I'll hide in front of this beam of light so that my massive shadow get's thrown around the room! I know it's a game and the AI probably can't react to that. But it still struck me as a pretty funny place to hide.

• Locked thread