Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Captain Geech posted:

I got Australia in my work's World Cup drawing. At first I was sad, but then I remembered that this is sports and anything can happen in sports, right?

Right?
If this was the Rugby League world cup you'd be set mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
It's started.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Maybe they can paint the Socceroos to look like a less patchy team.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Wow I just went into the gameday thread and see what you mean about people being mad. What is it about this sport that makes everyone so angry? :(

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The derision on Twitter is hilarious too. "Wat r u doin even ur PM couldn't get the captains name right"

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I was at a quiz night last week, room of fifty people, no team knew the name of the captain. I think we put Cahill or something.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Ugh

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Selwood obviously because he dives.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
That went better than I expected, pleasantly surprised and I love ange

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Yeah aside from the first nervous 15 minutes they did well.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Dang. Would've bitten your arm off if you offered me that before the game sl I guess it's a good sign that I'm disappointed.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shmoses posted:

Dang. Would've bitten your arm off if you offered me that before the game sl I guess it's a good sign that I'm disappointed.

Being disappointed with a competitive 3-1 game vs chile is a sign of how much better the team is playing than anyone thought. The Ange masterplan will win us an Asian Cup!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Would've been a great game if they weren't so drat nervous in the opening minutes.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Although I was rooting for Australia, this is the best result to keep Spain out of the knockout stages.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
we are winning this group dammit. We just need to beat holland by 8 to overturn the goal difference :saddowns:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Spain are obviously poo poo, they lost 5-1, and the Netherlands have a worse squad than Chile. We're topping the group for sure lads

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

After the first 15 minutes I was thinking we would lose 6-0 but I'm impressed with how much more competitive we looked after our first goal.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Spain are obviously poo poo, they lost 5-1, and the Netherlands have a worse squad than Chile. We're topping the group for sure lads
I like this line of thinking. :australia:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Seriously, I'm really loving happy with this outcome - we showed a fair bit naivete in defense at times, especially the first and second goals, but I think that can be sorted with out with a bit more time playing together. Up front looked a little bit toothless once Cahill came off, even when he was clearly hosed he was still causing trouble. Just imagine if we had Kruse and Williams in play, we would have had quite a few more shots on goal.

Rogic I think was a good omission in the end, he's still underdone and wouldn't have been quick enough.

I can't wait for the next one :)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Yeah, I honestly think those first two goals were due to the defense just being entirely over-awed at the whole experience. Once they settled they were pretty good and Wilkinson actually did a good thing

Kruse and Williams would make this a not-bad team, and given that they're both young and one of Halloran/Leckie should eventually figure out what a final ball looks like, I think we'll be ok to at least keep qualifying for World Cups and not embarrassing ourselves, which is probably where we're at as a country right now.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Bogan Krkic posted:

yep.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah, I honestly think those first two goals were due to the defense just being entirely over-awed at the whole experience. Once they settled they were pretty good and Wilkinson actually did a good thing

Kruse and Williams would make this a not-bad team, and given that they're both young and one of Halloran/Leckie should eventually figure out what a final ball looks like, I think we'll be ok to at least keep qualifying for World Cups and not embarrassing ourselves, which is probably where we're at as a country right now.

Someone on here said something along the lines of how weird it was that at the end of the game they were disappointed not to get the win, instead of being happy that we didn't get flogged - I agree with that. I know I'm liable to get carried away but I'm seriously loving keen to see what this team can do against another side, and holy poo poo the Asian Cup can't come quick enough.

I'm loving pumped, I'm not meant to be playing soccer tomorrow but I'm gonna just loving march down to the ground and have a run with the 3rds because my dick is loving hard with football-lust

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Yeah it's a loving amazing feeling to have a team with a smattering of A-League players come against a team like Chile and think "Man, 2-2 would've been a fair result there".

I'm really looking forward to a game in which we don't collapse for the first twenty minutes. I'm loving elated.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

You can buy tickets for the Asian Cup already and I for one can't wait to see Palestine play Jordan and also OUR BOYS demolish Kuwait

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Arquebus posted:

Yeah it's a loving amazing feeling to have a team with a smattering of A-League players come against a team like Chile and think "Man, 2-2 would've been a fair result there".

I'm really looking forward to a game in which we don't collapse for the first twenty minutes. I'm loving elated.

That is my exact feeling. I'm loving keen and am so annoyed that I have to wait like 12 more hours for another game!

Also, I'm gonna go see a shitload of Asian Cup games in Melbourne, I don't give a poo poo who's playing

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
This is the youngest team we've ever fielded and they're getting valuable experience and not embarrassing themselves. It's a good result.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gabensraum posted:

This is the youngest team we've ever fielded and they're getting valuable experience and not embarrassing themselves. It's a good result.

agreed. really happy with that performance.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Cahill is just SO loving GOOD in the air. I thought that being their only real threat would hamper you guys but I guess against the midgets of Chile it worked well.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I thought the Australian looked suspiciously competent and Chile got complacent after the two fast goals, but it was a better performance than anyone expected anyway.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The earlybird ticket packages for the asian cup are pretty good value. I picked up the set which is every game played in Brisbane.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tim "Boohoo the cheating foreigners are all cheating cheats, oh, and the ref is like totaly against us" Cahill ladies and gents.

http://www.theage.com.au/fifa-world...0614-zs7w4.html

I remember Lucas Neill saying similar things after a defeat as well.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

I voted for Clive Palmer but if I knew about this I would have voted for NBN Ruddy

I like seeing Clive Palmer try to get out of small sports cars

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

Tim "Boohoo the cheating foreigners are all cheating cheats, oh, and the ref is like totaly against us" Cahill ladies and gents.

http://www.theage.com.au/fifa-world...0614-zs7w4.html

I remember Lucas Neill saying similar things after a defeat as well.
To be fair, the Chileans were diving cunts and the idiot ref believed almost every single one. I even saw the ref helping the Chilean players up off the ground. :wtc:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Is anyone watching SBS? What the gently caress is going on with Clint Bolton's eye??

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Tongues posted:

Is anyone watching SBS? What the gently caress is going on with Clint Bolton's eye??

looks like he's been in a punchup

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Tongues posted:

I noticed that, it looks gross as

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
It looks so sore. I'm more hungover than I've been since highschool and my eyes are less red

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Fanatic posted:

To be fair, the Chileans were diving cunts and the idiot ref believed almost every single one. I even saw the ref helping the Chilean players up off the ground. :wtc:

Welcome to football then. Honestly it's loving annoying as this is just taking away from the fact that australia played really well from what everyone was expecting.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Fanatic posted:

This is a pretty negative view of the game and the sport in general and I wish Cahill hadn't made those comments - a lot of it is gamesmanship to a degree, but you'd think Chile flopped over constantly and it's just not true. Check out the first goal, if there was ever a time to go down it would have been when after Ryan had dived in, the ref is likely to award a penalty. The refs have also got to make the decision instantly and without replay, and a lot of the time giving away a foul comes down to naivete on the part of the Socceroos - particularly A league players where the media and public opinion is heavily in favour of defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Woot Canberra gets a norkor game in the Asian cup. Also its p cheap.

• Locked thread