Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

balancedbias posted:

Most Freemason scholarships are for the sake of good will and not at all money laundering. So, the expectation is some sort of community service and in no way as a bag man or knock around guy.

Or maybe that's what they want you to think :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

THE RED MENACE posted:

Luckily my mom forced me to apply for scholarships my senior year in high school. So at the awards ceremony for grades/accomplishments at the end of the year, I walked away with 5 scholarships (2 of them by default becuase no else applied). The big one was a $10,000/year for 2 years stipend from the Free Masons of California which leads me to believe they'll be asking me for a "favor" in the future :tinfoil:.

One of us! One of us!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523447

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

blugu64 posted:

She was ugly, and prom was awkward.

That is no way to talk about your sister! Did your teacher send you up to your room without supper?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Butt Wizard posted:

I drive to work Mon - Fri and it costs me about $60 a week to run in petrol and insurance, less if I'm a bit smoother with my driving. If I could bus and know I'm going to get to work on time, I would, but it would cost me about $9 a day and add an hour of time onto my journey each way. I can see PT not working for everyone though, especially if you've got a sports practice or something after work or your city is dangerous as hell for cycling (e.g. mine).

Why are you not bicycling? Even biking 2-3x a week will save you a lot of money.

*edit* I see, missed the "dangerous". Find slightly off streets. There are ways to make it work. Go outside of major traffic hours. Americans (and I should know, I grew up there) always have some kind of magic excuse as to why bicycling won't work for their situation, and then I'll see 5-6 people that day bicycling in the same circumstance (a suit, 3 kids, rain, busy street, groceries). Bicycles are incredibly versatile.

Even if you just get two beater bikes to do your initial leg to the busy streets, drive to the end of the busy bit, and bicycle in the rest of the way you can shave your gas bill. In my personal opinion, no one but literal quadriplegics have an excuse not to bicycle.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 15, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

poopinmymouth posted:

Why are you not bicycling? Even biking 2-3x a week will save you a lot of money.

*edit* I see, missed the "dangerous". Find slightly off streets. There are ways to make it work. Go outside of major traffic hours. Americans (and I should know, I grew up there) always have some kind of magic excuse as to why bicycling won't work for their situation, and then I'll see 5-6 people that day bicycling in the same circumstance (a suit, 3 kids, rain, busy street, groceries). Bicycles are incredibly versatile.

Even if you just get two beater bikes to do your initial leg to the busy streets, drive to the end of the busy bit, and bicycle in the rest of the way you can shave your gas bill. In my personal opinion, no one but literal quadriplegics have an excuse not to bicycle.

I just saw a guy get hit on my way to work yesterday - unless there are bike lanes or sidewalks I can ride on (and I actually think riding bicycles on sidewalks is illegal here unless you're a kid), no way I'm doing that

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

EugeneJ posted:

I just saw a guy get hit on my way to work yesterday - unless there are bike lanes or sidewalks I can ride on (and I actually think riding bicycles on sidewalks is illegal here unless you're a kid), no way I'm doing that

Have you never seen a car wreck? Why do those not scare you away from driving?

And again, if big busy roads scare you (and there is nothing wrong with that) use google maps to find less busy ways to go. Might take longer, but it's great for your health, your wallet, and the resale value of your car for having those fewer miles.

I've ridden in Richmond, DC, Fairfax, Savannah, Dallas, Austin, Los Angeles, Köln, Dusseldorf and Reykjavik. All have varying levels of bicycle infrastructure, but never has bicycling as a primary mode of transportation been a problem, and the amount of gas I have saved over the years is ridiculous. Like the old saying goes, "Where there is a will, there is a way".

↓↓↓↓Whole bunch of excuse makers in this thread. Every city in America has people who use bicycles to commute to work. If you are too risk averse to try, that's on you, but trying to make it sound like it's an instant deathtrap to bike on normal roads is flat out incorrect and ignorant. Bicycle commuting is an excellent way to cut down on expenses.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 15, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

poopinmymouth posted:

Have you never seen a car wreck? Why do those not scare you away from driving?

Car vs. Bicycle is not the same as Car vs. Car. Come on now.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I don't bike because driving is faster where I live.

Also, I didn't think anything could be worse than carchat in here, but tuitionchat is getting close.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/287dju/my_engagement_ring_was_not_acceptable_apparently/

quote:

It's a 2.10 i excellent cut VS2I oval diamond set in 14k yellow gold band. She doesn't like it, and I don't have the option if returning it or exchanging it (the place I bought it is now defunct). What are my best options to either exchange it or sell it without losing too much of the 18k I've put out? (Starting to reconsider my proposal... =/).
Thank you all! I hope this us the right sub.
Superslammed!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Honestly I think you've just been lucky to not get killed yet biking in all those places (though maybe they were a little bit more bike friendly). The vast majority of cities in the US are downright dangerous for bikes. Even if (and that's a big if) there are bike lanes, they are never protected and people just treat it as a shoulder. People don't pay attention and when you get hit by a car, you're done. Yes you can try smaller side streets which will help but eventually you have to cross some major streets, which is almost just as dangerous as a pedestrian if you walked it.

Plus once you get all sweaty getting to work, how many places have easy access to a shower to clean up?

Honestly it's a shame but it's just not practical in most cities in the US

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
As much as I like the idea of biking to work, America has neither the infrastructure, nor culture, to support it in most places. Drivers are actively hostile to people biking on "their" roads.

Driving in lieu of biking in most cases isn't bad with money, it's good with not getting turned into a greasy smear by some entitled shithead in an SUV.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Work is 25 miles from home on a bunch of busy, dangerous streets. Biking there is not even close to an option.

Currently I drive 3 miles to the park and ride, grab a bus downtown, then grab a train the rest of the way. Do the reverse getting home. I could possibly bike to the park and ride. Except the bike has a good chance of getting stolen or hosed with in the 11 hours I'd be leaving it locked there.

Either that, or I'd have to put the bike on the bus, and on the light rail, and lock it up at work, then take it on the light rail home. 50% of the time I'm taking the rail home, there's a Rockies game that has the train almost full by the time it reaches my stop, and the driver won't let people with bikes on. Which just strands me in the Denver Tech Center even longer.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the Civic.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Good lord. If this leads to him breaking it off with her, you could consider this good with money. The almost certain divorce lawyer and alimony would be waaaaay more than 18k. Also he could save the diamond for the next girl who would appreciate it.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Sorry to bring back tuition chat, but does the US not have automatic entrance scholarships? Every school in Canada has a fuckton of "you got into our school! If you are coming straight from high school, have X thousand dollars based on your academic performance!" that you get notified of with your letter of acceptance. I think I had almost 25k in entrance scholarships from all the schools I applied to.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Bamabalacha posted:

Sorry to bring back tuition chat, but does the US not have automatic entrance scholarships? Every school in Canada has a fuckton of "you got into our school! If you are coming straight from high school, have X thousand dollars based on your academic performance!" that you get notified of with your letter of acceptance. I think I had almost 25k in entrance scholarships from all the schools I applied to.

Nope. Need-based scholarships based on income are the most common, along with some federal grants. Then there are athletic scholarships, for athletes recruited to play, those are mostly reserved for a certain type of school. There are some academic/merit scholarships, but they aren't the kind of thing you can count on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It depends on how good you are. If you're a National Merit Semifinalist/Finalist/Scholar, then yes, tons of schools say "if you come straight here, please accept a bunch of money."

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Bamabalacha posted:

That's cute.

Depending on your state you can get automatic grants based on being poor.

It was actually free for me to attend college in California and a better deal than going to UBC in Vancouver (dual citizen).

Being middle class in America sucks for college, I was never more grateful for my unmarried parents and deadbeat mom.

Also I LOVE engagement ring drama - I had two friends get engaged at 18 and 22 when she was working as a receptionist and he was "working" for a "friend" (petty drug dealing) who spent NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS on the ring.

Of course they broke up a month before the wedding and he had financed the ring, so he just dropped it off at the store and took a hit on his credit.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

EugeneJ posted:

Car vs. Bicycle is not the same as Car vs. Car. Come on now.

Considering that the ratio of fatal single-vehicle crashes to multi-vehicle crashes is 3:2, I think the matchup to worry about is Driver vs. Self

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I want someone to spend a stupid amount of money for a retarded trinket for me :(

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

quote:

I am a 49er season ticket holder. I paid $60,000 for two seat licenses, $7,000 for two season tickets, and now they want $500 for a season parking pass in the Green lot. I was debt-free two Januarys ago and took out a loan on my house to be a 49er fan.
(source)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What the hell is a seat license?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
snatching defeat from the jaws of victory there

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

FrozenVent posted:

What the hell is a seat license?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_seat_license posted:

A personal seat license, or PSL, is a paid license that entitles the holder to the right to buy season tickets for a certain seat in a stadium. This holder can sell the seat license to someone else if they no longer wish to purchase season tickets.[1] However, if the seat license holder chooses not to sell the seat licenses and does not renew the season tickets, the holder forfeits the license back to the team. Most seat licenses are valid for as long as the team plays in the current venue.

quote:

purchaser's name is engraved in the seat, and the purchaser owns the right to have first choice for tickets for any event held in the stadium

:psyduck:

So he's on the hook for $7,000 season tickets every year or he's just given the 49'ers a free $60,000. :stare:

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

daggerdragon posted:

So he's on the hook for $7,000 season tickets every year or he's just given the 49'ers a free $60,000. :stare:

To watch eight whole games per season.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Assuming he keeps the license and buys tickets for 10 years, and the prices never go up, and e doesn't get a parking pass, that's $1,625 per game. Or $812.50 per person per game.

gently caress.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Game number one will run 67K at a minimum so really the more he spends, the better a deal it will be!

For content, a relative is currently staying with my wife and I for a few weeks. A month ago when tickets were booked it was described as 'while I'm moving back to Canada from the Caribbean I'll stay with you guys for a bit so I can see my new nephew before starting my new full time job'. Turns out that said relative quit her last job before having another one lined up, hasn't applied for any positions, and has about 100 bucks to her name. And apparently the whole reason she left Canada was was to dodge student loans after banks came knocking when she dropped out of first year. :psyduck:

My younger brother took a page out of that book too but seems to be in the process of turning around. I'm not particularly well off, but don't want to be on the hook for looking after relatives that couldn't get their poo poo together just because I'm spending less than I earn :ohdear:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 15, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

daggerdragon posted:

Generally, you also get 'rights' to purchase tickets (at face price for the section your seats are in) to sit in your seats for anything else that is held in the stadium too. So, hey, if there's going to be a bunch of concerts in Santa Clara, this guy can :getin:. That's good with money, right? :v:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

daggerdragon posted:

And then when people call their bluff and don't pay those absurd prices - they black out the game on TV so no one gets to watch it period (in that area).

It's a terrible system

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Guest2553 posted:

For content, a relative is currently staying with my wife and I for a few weeks. A month ago when tickets were booked it was described as 'while I'm moving back to Canada from the Caribbean I'll stay with you guys for a bit so I can see my new nephew before starting my new full time job'. Turns out that said relative quit her last job before having another one lined up, hasn't applied for any positions, and has about 100 bucks to her name. And apparently the whole reason she left Canada was was to dodge student loans after banks came knocking when she dropped out of first year.
What's your plan for this? It kind of sounds like her 'plan' is to mooch off of you indefinitely.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Bisty Q. posted:

So, hey, if there's going to be a bunch of concerts in Santa Clara, this guy can :getin:. That's good with money, right? :v:

Except given that Shoreline Amphitheatre is where all the concerts get held, that's unlikely. Though I guess he can, uh, go see a soccer game: http://www.levisstadium.com/events/category/tickets/

Around here, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that someone dropped $70k on, well, much of anything. There are an assload of people making six figures a year that could drop that without breaking a sweat. This guy, though, is apparently not one of them - if you can't afford $500 for parking, perhaps you shouldn't have taken out a loan to pay $70k for sports tickets?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 16, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Except given that Shoreline Amphitheatre is where are the concerts get held, that's unlikely. Though I guess he can, uh, go see a soccer game: http://www.levisstadium.com/events/category/tickets/

At least he can use his parking pass to take VTA back to Mountain View then :shobon:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Lowness 72 posted:

And then when people call their bluff and don't pay those absurd prices - they black out the game on TV so no one gets to watch it period (in that area).

It's a terrible system

The 49ers have sold out 301 straight games, so there's a case they're not charging enough. That's around 30 years worth of games (I'm not sure if they're counting preseason games). Still dumb as hell to go into debt for those tickets, though. He should sell most of those tickets for the first few years to get out of the hole.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah I was gonna ask if there is any restriction on reselling those tickets. It's probably an awful return on investment, but maybe there's also a better chance to get playoff tickets?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Season tickets for NFL teams are now either inherited goods, for rich people or for fans of terrible teams in cities no one lives in.

Some average person buying season tickets for an NFL team is being really, really dumb with your money. I bought tickets to two Eagles games last year for no more than 150ish a pop and had amazing seats.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah I was gonna ask if there is any restriction on reselling those tickets. It's probably an awful return on investment, but maybe there's also a better chance to get playoff tickets?

I don't know about the Niners, but my dad has season tickets to the Steelers. He's sold our tickets to some of the better games for $800 each, and we're guaranteed playoff tickets and have a chance to get super bowl tickets if they get that far.

Of course, these are also only the tickets to the games, not everything else, and the season ticket cost is ~$1100 a year. We can usually have the tickets pay for themselves just by selling 2-3 of the 8 games. It's a pretty sweet deal, but not worth $60k. (The season tickets have been in our family for over half a century at this point, I doubt we'd have them otherwise)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cicero posted:

What's your plan for this? It kind of sounds like her 'plan' is to mooch off of you indefinitely.

The away ticket has already been booked and the house will be empty for a couple days next month, so there's a hard cap already set. And since I'm currently an expat on a work visa the odds of someone making a full time hobby of it are pretty low.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

El_Elegante posted:

There are no restrictions on selling the tickets, in fact they're available on stubhub right now. For example, here is a game (regular season) that has tickets for sale: http://www.stubhub.com/san-francisco-49ers-tickets/san-francisco-49ers-santa-clara-levi-s-stadium-9-14-2014-9037676/

I don't know where he got his seats, but given the SBL price and the cost of the tickets themselves, I would guess he probably has some pretty decent ones. He's basically going to have seats in one of four sections, 113/114 and 116/117 on the visitor's side or 137-135 or 139-141 on the home team side. You can see that tickets go for a decent amount; especially if he has the "better" sections.

He can definitely make money on selling on his season tickets, but as for paying off that loan it'll take a few years. v:shobon:v

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

NancyPants posted:

I want someone to spend a stupid amount of money for a retarded trinket for me :(

That reddit guy is selling his ring for like $5,000 (a $13,000 loss on his part). Maybe you should treat yourself.

I think it's a pretty stone, although I'd personally get it reset.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The title says it all

Need a loan to support my girlfriend's school

look at this loving idiot posted:

I would like to help my girlfriend with her college, but I don't have the capital available to do so at the moment. That being said, I got a stable, fairly well-paying (~60k) job a few months ago. I would like to help her pay for her tuition, which is due soon.

gently caress your own loans, dude. Extra baggage is just what you need!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I think the ring is pretty. But what do I know, I got my wife what she wanted: an $800 Moissanite.

I mean, that's the first rule of buying gifts for women: get them exactly what they've let you know they want. Still, $13k seems like a cheap lifetime cost of getting rid of someone who rejects an $18k ring.

• Locked thread