Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

My roommate who doesn't watch wrestling and doesn't understand it (except for Legends House) suggested the best possible Network Original show concept the other day. Pop Up Mania, pretty much VH1's Pop-up Video but for classic matches/angles. She's a genius.

I feel like I've seen that - maybe as a one-off episode of Raw or SD in the 90's or something like that. It'd be a great idea for those Wrestlemania Rewind specials where they could give you a lot of context as the match goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Daniel Bryan posted:

Interesting way to promote this PPV:

Let the ret-conning begin.

What are they ret-conning?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

IcePhoenix posted:

They're not mentioning the match the PPV was most famous for.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Under the vegetable posted:

My roommate who doesn't watch wrestling and doesn't understand it (except for Legends House) suggested the best possible Network Original show concept the other day. Pop Up Mania, pretty much VH1's Pop-up Video but for classic matches/angles. She's a genius.

isnt that the point of commentary

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
In theory, commentary is for play-by-play, and not for random trivia. In practise, well.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like I've seen that - maybe as a one-off episode of Raw or SD in the 90's or something like that. It'd be a great idea for those Wrestlemania Rewind specials where they could give you a lot of context as the match goes on.

It was a dvd of wrestlemania 3 that came out a few years back. Gonna guess for the 20th anniversary

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Blasmeister posted:

They're not mentioning the match the PPV was most famous for.

That's not retconning, it's just not mentioning a high profile guy who is no longer with WWE.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

bradzilla posted:

That's not retconning, it's just not mentioning a high profile guy who is no longer with WWE.

I agree with you honestly, just answering the question.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blasmeister posted:

I agree with you honestly, just answering the question.
Yeah but even that stance is stupid and just bending the truth to fit your own (not necessarily you specificlly) stupid "WWE REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE PUNK :supaburn:" conspiracy theory. Bryan is on top of the company so it makes sense to advertize the PPV as where his run to the top really started.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 9, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Speaking of, I just got through Payback over the weekend and I just want to say how awesome it was when Heyman squashed the CM Punk chants like, 5 minutes in to the broadcast while also generating some cheap heat by insulting the Blackhawks. It was handled just perfectly.

Especially considering that the Blackhawks did actually lose that night.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blast Fantasto posted:

Speaking of, I just got through Payback over the weekend and I just want to say how awesome it was when Heyman squashed the CM Punk chants like, 5 minutes in to the broadcast while also generating some cheap heat by insulting the Blackhawks. It was handled just perfectly.

The best CM Punk squash was by Steph and it's not even close. Which is impressive because the Heyman was was also amazing.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Blast Fantasto posted:

I preferred Bo Dallas saying, "Just because the Blackhawks are going to lose, it doesn't mean you're losers."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

IcePhoenix posted:

I felt like the retcon might have been WWE implying "Hey guys, we were planning this current Daniel Bryan main event run WAY BACK THEN"

It's a bit of a stretch, but that was the only thing I could think of.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Man, so... I love tournaments, I love tag nonsense, I've been having fun catching tag matches and shows on the Network...

Can't really wrap my head around Starrcade '90.

8-Team tag tournament, alright! Also for some reason they introduced Team America (Steiners) first, leaving the crowd to sit on their hands and mumble for the introduction of 7 other teams.

Also, during the Team Mexico matches, the commentary crew keeps mixing up Konnan and Rey Misterio (Sr.), and the title card reads "Rey Mysteric", and JR keeps calling Konnan "Ray Mysterick".

Anyways, yeah, 8 teams (including 'Gentleman' Chris Adams/Norman Smiley, Victor Zangiev/Salman Hashimikov, and Masa Saito/Great Muta! Whoa!) for the tournament, that's 7 matches right there, plus a US title match, plus a World title match. Sounds pretty legit, a bit crowded, but legit.

Alright, now you need to make room for a Bobby Eaton vs. Z-Man Zenk singles opener, unrelated to the rest of the card, and longer than all but one match of the tournament proper. Then the world Tag title has its own match (the tournament is for a trophy). Then a singles match between Michael Wallstreet and Terry Taylor. Then a Skyscrapers squash tag match, because squashes belong on a ppv!

To boot, the Luger/Hansen US Title match was a strap match, and the steel cage main event was Sting vs. Black Scorpion.

loving WCW.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

LvK posted:

Man, so... I love tournaments...

Somewhat relatedly, I'm watching KotR 1994 and wow the clips of "how much does this guy weigh?!" do not capture the sheer incompetence and inanity displayed by Art Donovan on commentary.

Wait, I get that Bret vs. Diesel goes on early so the tournament final is higher in the card, but then the main event is Roddy vs. Lawler? Weird.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 14, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Watching Clash of Champions... how in the hell did anyone think Oz was a good idea for Kevin Nash. This is totally insane. Rubber masks, a wizard entrance theme, so loving stupid.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Watching Clash of Champions... how in the hell did anyone think Oz was a good idea for Kevin Nash. This is totally insane. Rubber masks, a wizard entrance theme, so loving stupid.

You gotta watch Superbrawl 1 with Oz's debut.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

joshtothemaxx posted:

Turner just got the rights to The Wizard of Oz.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the LARPing ep of Legends' House and I'm pretty sure I could watch Roddy Piper taking LARPing as serious business for all eternity. That was glorious.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

June 20, 1994: Gorilla Monsoon decrees that "objects are only to be used for their intended purpose" after Jerry Lawler strikes Duke Droese with a garbage can. He declares that "you'll never see that again here in the WWF."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Y'know I know we made jokes about how Pat Patterson revealing he's gay shocked precisely no one and everything, but I just watched the Legends' House finale and I genuinely found it a really :unsmith: thing. It doesn't matter that the whole world knew, it was the fact that he could say it. And I dunno, seeing all these guys binding together was honestly kinda sweet.

Also holy poo poo poor Jimmy Hart and Hacksaw. :smith: Those dudes are great.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
They added the "This Is Your Life!" Raw to the Network. This also features the very first HHH/Rock WWF Title match.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Y'know I know we made jokes about how Pat Patterson revealing he's gay shocked precisely no one and everything, but I just watched the Legends' House finale and I genuinely found it a really :unsmith: thing. It doesn't matter that the whole world knew, it was the fact that he could say it. And I dunno, seeing all these guys binding together was honestly kinda sweet.

Also holy poo poo poor Jimmy Hart and Hacksaw. :smith: Those dudes are great.

Pretty sure all those guys have known for 30-40 years. That was all for the people watching at home. It's cool he came out of the closet to everyone, good for him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The American Dream posted:

Pretty sure all those guys have known for 30-40 years. That was all for the people watching at home. It's cool he came out of the closet to everyone, good for him.

But again, it wasn't about them knowing. He knew they knew. He knows everybody with an internet connection and any sort of reason to have found out knows. But he finally said it, out loud, to himself. And I could just be getting worked here, but I feel like that was genuine emotion by all involved. I doubt wrestlers would be that good at acting. :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But again, it wasn't about them knowing. He knew they knew. He knows everybody with an internet connection and any sort of reason to have found out knows. But he finally said it, out loud, to himself. And I could just be getting worked here, but I feel like that was genuine emotion by all involved. I doubt wrestlers would be that good at acting. :v:

Pat Patterson was openly gay. That's the whole reason he was one of the targets in the ring announcer molestation scandal, he was an easy target because he was gay.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Pat Patterson was openly gay. That's the whole reason he was one of the targets in the ring announcer molestation scandal, he was an easy target because he was gay.

It always came off as more of an open secret thing to me. Like Rob Halford. Everyone knew but no one said it out loud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

It always came off as more of an open secret thing to me. Like Rob Halford. Everyone knew but no one said it out loud.

His homosexuality was the entire basis of a lawsuit against the company and was discussed on national TV.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah that was what I thought too.

MassRafTer posted:

His homosexuality was the entire basis of a lawsuit against the company and was discussed on national TV.

That's kind of really bizarre then. Why was he so emotional about it? Again, reality TV bullshit acknowledged, I really really question the idea that Pat is THAT good of an actor. That's...odd.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edit: Foochs, I'm using your post as a jumping-off point for a rant, here (something I do often and usually without warning). So just know that this isn't directed at you specifically.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's kind of really bizarre then. Why was he so emotional about it? Again, reality TV bullshit acknowledged, I really really question the idea that Pat is THAT good of an actor. That's...odd.
All wrestlers are improv actors. Given a script, they're almost all terrible. Given bullet points? They'll feel everything they're supposed to feel. Especially the old-school guys.

It's what made good wrestlers good.

Reality TV is more fake than Wrestling. Like, way more. A shitload more. They storyboard it. There are casting calls. Working in film the last few years (as much as you can in Seattle), I've met people who worked in reality TV, and it has call sheets and a script. They're not just selectively editing hundreds of hours into a story. They're writing it. But they're writing it like people used to write wrestling. Here's how you feel. Go.

I'm sure there was some reality in Pat coming out, because it was the first time he revealed it to the public HIMSELF. But if you think these guys didn't have their working boots on during the scene, I don't know what to tell you.

I laugh every time somebody I know gives me the "you know that poo poo's fake, right?" Because every single person who has ever said that to me believes that reality TV is real.

The Real World was the first reality show the way we currently categorize them, and it was scripted by season 3. Probably 2, though I have nothing to back that up. Which means that anything after 1994 is a complete work.

Now here we have a reality show with wrestlers. Two art forms that are undeniably fake. How is anybody swayed by this?

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 15, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

LividLiquid posted:

But they're writing it like people used to write wrestling. Here's how you feel. Go.

That's what they do with the good actors. With the not so good or otherwise uncooperative actors, the producer will literally feed them lines.

Fun fact, most documentaries are also scripted works, too.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 15, 2014

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

LividLiquid posted:

How is anybody swayed by this?

It's still real to me, drat it. :colbert:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Huh. It might be a glitch, but it looks like they've started adding new Raws and Smackdowns without a delay. This week's shows are up already. This is a new development, right? I haven't been paying attention.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Huh. It might be a glitch, but it looks like they've started adding new Raws and Smackdowns without a delay. This week's shows are up already. This is a new development, right? I haven't been paying attention.

I don't see them at all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The most recent SmackDown I can find is May 8, 2014; most recent Raw is May 11, 2014.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Huh, must have been a glitch then. Either in the Network or more likely my brain.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Patterson community?!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I guess my point is it's a question of degree. Like, I know all wrestlers are actors, I know reality TV is about as big of a misnomer as there is. I know pretty much all of the Legends' House "drama" is manufactured bullshit. I guess mu point is I fancy myself being able to discern legit emotion amongst bullshit, and Pat seemed legit emotional about coming out, which just took me aback a little because of all the reasons being discussed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Or maybe (and this is just an idea, not an accusation) you just bought into this reality show more than the other reality shows because it revolves around wrestling which you obviously love so much and have so much passion for. If you're able to buy into the fake emotion of a WWE match then why not the fake emotion of a reality show? Sure, you may not buy into Desperate Housewives or The Real World but shows like Total Divas and Legends House hit you in your vulnerable spot.

I know you take offense to this word being used negatively but I'm just using it as it was originally intended. Maybe you're an "easy mark" in this case?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think it could also be a case of everyone being so incredibly emotional to begin with. Starting with Tony's story, every story was SO loving heavy and had everyone either in tears or pretty drat close to being in tears. That emotion isn't just going to go away once you start talking about yourself. Once he started talking about himself, he could have still been pretty emotional from that insane Duggan story or Gene talking about his wife giving him a kidney. That poo poo was rough.

Maybe he never proclaimed it to anyone and it was just a thing people "found out" or assumed or whatever. Maybe he wasn't "technically" closeted in the sense that he didn't let anyone know he was gay, but I have a feeling that a pro wrestler from that era was closeted for most of his career and then just sort of stayed that way despite everyone pretty much knowing the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You can be "out" about something and still not like to talk about it in an alpha-male, macho environment. Everyone in the world knows that Patterson is openly gay -- but that doesn't mean he hasn't felt pressure to hide it, or not talk about it, etc.