Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

We've been waiting for anything getting to within 30% of the capability/competence of the Zune ecosystem for years with no luck, so I'm not confident. MS just doesn't seem to care about music anymore except as a vehicle for pushing their streaming service, which is pretty idiotic considering you don't advertise your "new" service by giving your existing customers a much shittier experience than before.

It's pretty uncanny it's been a steady regression from WP 7.5. Just burn the Xbox Music division to the ground.

The music experience on WP8.1 right now is the main reason why I'm jumping ship from the platform when my contract is up after supporting Windows Phone since my Samsung Focus on WP7 back in 2010. What loving baffles me is that the ZuneHD music experience was already perfect and yet with each subsequent release of WP the music experience gets WORSE when this is a key feature of any smart phone.

Top off the fact that it took them _4_ years to release a bargain basement notification center and voice controls that enabled you to play music by artist / song title / album title. What kills me the most is that those voice controls were available to users back on Windows Mobile 6+. Even after almost half a decade Microsoft just refuses to get its poo poo together with respect to mobile.

G-III fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

thestoreroom posted:

You wouldn't believe the abuse we get for the tile colour from some reviewers, especially the Russians... Glad someone likes it!

Hey man, condolences on the acquisition, at least you got a ridiculous Day One shirt out of the deal.

Probably my favorite thing about MixRadio is how the tile shows a collage of your stored album art. That and the updating album info make it my favorite live tile.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am hoping that Microsoft announces something soon on new hardware. I am feeling the pull away from the platform.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

G-III posted:

Top off the fact that it took them _4_ years to release a bargain basement notification center and voice controls that enabled you to play music by artist / song title / album title. What kills me the most is that those voice controls were available to users back on Windows Mobile 6+. Even after almost half a decade Microsoft just refuses to get its poo poo together with respect to mobile.

Knowing who I do in Windows Phone it's not from lack of trying. Every project manager has an agenda, and they're trying to go from a dozen different ways of doing the same thing to something more unified.

Use the uservoice site. Let them know what you want and how you use it. They're targeting a lot of use cases but they can't always catch everything. I used it myself to report a bug with podcasts.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Captain Capacitor posted:

Knowing who I do in Windows Phone it's not from lack of trying. Every project manager has an agenda, and they're trying to go from a dozen different ways of doing the same thing to something more unified.

Use the uservoice site. Let them know what you want and how you use it. They're targeting a lot of use cases but they can't always catch everything. I used it myself to report a bug with podcasts.

After 4 goddamn years the average consumer shouldn't have to submit requests to dev teams in order to have a mobile OS that's at least as good as the competition. If the dev teams working on this poo poo don't get that the music app is a goddamn dumpster fire that should never have been released then there's no hope for Windows Phone this year or any years in the near future.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

If I have to submit a bug report to tell you the Xbox Music app is so broken as to be useless, this platform is doomed because the people in charge need user feedback to tell them a flagship first party app is so broken as to be useless.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Guys I think they know it doesn't work well. I think they're smart enough to distinguish between an app that crashes and an app that doesn't.

But keep sending them those requests, I'm sure they'll re-double their efforts.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
i should submit a request to fire the Xbox music team

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Considering this is MS, I'm pretty sure there are 2-3 teams all working on different parts of the Music app at the same time, each with their own set of project/program managers who are fighting for visibility in front of their slightly higher-level managers.

If you just cut out like 60% of the management I imagine Xbox Music being the best music app ever.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This might be wishful thinking but isn't cutting down on that bullshit part of Nadella's restructuring plan? I would hope so, anyway.

Or, the reason could be as simple as everything associated with Xbox eventually turning to poo poo. :v:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
You can't turn around 15+ years of horrible corporate environment in a single fiscal quarter.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

MC Hawking posted:

You can't turn around 15+ years of horrible corporate environment in a single fiscal quarter.

But, we are the internet and we want it NOW.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I've iced my Lumia 930 preorder. The absolute lack of release information as well as the Xbox Music drama is slightly annoying. Especially latter, because I listen to a lot of music on the phone. I think I'm just going to sit it out during the summer to see how it develops.

--edit: a word.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 15, 2014

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Responding to a Twitter question, Marcus Ash said Cortana will be arriving on Windows Phone devices in the UK and China in "weeks, not months."

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...rc=rss&attr=all

That's nice, I'll finally get quiet hours on my HTC 8X.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Use the uservoice site. Let them know what you want and how you use it.
Continue to Use Zune for Media Sync in WP

Originally proposed on Nov 12, 2012. Almost 17,000 votes, 53 pages of comments. Now many were fine with re-branding Zune to Xbox, but the uservoice comments went into great detail on the useless nature of Xbox Music and the problems with every other method of 'syncing'.

After 18+ months of continually being added to with no comment from MS, the feature suggestion thread was officially marked "declined" on May 23rd of this year:

quote:

Unfortunately, Windows Phone 8.1 does not support Zune. However, there are multiple ways to sync media on Windows Phone today
:thumbsup:

The final comment sums it up:

quote:

I will try to phrase this as delicately as I am capable of and I am not vitriolic here, I am genuinely curious. Is the Windows Phone team unwilling to comprehend the underlying problem that caused users to put almost 17,000 votes behind this idea, or are you collectively mentally incapable of understanding that the "multiple ways to sync media on Windows Phone today" are deemed inferior to a product that was discontinued almost half a decade ago?

I will make a wild generalization and allege that the majority of users does rather not care if their synchronization program is called (or based) on Zune, Xbox, iTunes or whatever.

We want the functionality of Zune. We want to sync our local music without having to worry about the sync program to mess with the metadata, create duplicates, regularly crash, try to stream music we already own, and all the other "features" you introduced with the decision to change from Zune to Xbox Music when transitioning from WP7 to WP8.

For all that is holy, just provide us with a solution that works before we collectively synonymize Xbox with itsucks.

While the problem may likely not lie with the coders, if you truly need users to point out why Xbox music and the entire music experience in Windows Phone (and Windows) has been a steadfast downward regression since Zune, then the problem is that you have the wrong people in positions of any influence.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Continue to Use Zune for Media Sync in WP

Originally proposed on Nov 12, 2012. Almost 17,000 votes, 53 pages of comments. Now many were fine with re-branding Zune to Xbox, but the uservoice comments went into great detail on the useless nature of Xbox Music and the problems with every other method of 'syncing'.

After 18+ months of continually being added to with no comment from MS, the feature suggestion thread was officially marked "declined" on May 23rd of this year:

:thumbsup:

The final comment sums it up:

While the problem may likely not lie with the coders, if you truly need users to point out why Xbox music and the entire music experience in Windows Phone (and Windows) has been a steadfast downward regression since Zune, then the problem is that you have the wrong people in positions of any influence.

It's almost like they want you to buy a music pass and just use cloud music. Except they hosed that poo poo up, too. I have no music on my phone; 100% cloud. I could barely play a loving song.

The best is when I pin an album to the start screen. Clicking on it is like a surprise just waiting to excite you!
    Sometimes plays 30 second clips
    Sometimes only plays the first song in the album
    Sometimes never loads at all
    Sometimes it tells me I don't own access to the song

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The Xbox Music web player is pretty sufficient, besides not being able to stream certain albums that I own (a problem being able to stream my own collection from OneDrive would solve). I prefer it to Spotify, actually, because it's a clean and functional modern web app with a very clear idea of "your collection" and "now playing" which not all web players get right.

But the Windows Phone app is a whole other story.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a way to check if my Lumia 625 is carrier locked, short of plugging in an out-of-network SIM? I've checked all the Info areas in Settings, but I'm not really sure what to look for. One of the Info readouts shows a version number for SIM Unlock but I'm not sure if that's even relevant.

Just want to make sure this phone is OK to travel with, but I don't have access to a different SIM.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yesterday I saw my first ever commercial that had a windows phone marketplace logo next to the Itunes store and Android store.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Factor Mystic posted:

The Xbox Music web player is pretty sufficient, besides not being able to stream certain albums that I own (a problem being able to stream my own collection from OneDrive would solve). I prefer it to Spotify, actually, because it's a clean and functional modern web app with a very clear idea of "your collection" and "now playing" which not all web players get right.

But the Windows Phone app is a whole other story.

Yeah the web music player is fine, but apparently MS feels for the sake of "uniformity" amongst their interface, the desktop/metro experience has to mirror the web exactly (I think the web interface actually had drag and drop functionality long before the metro app actually). You can have a consistent approach to interfaces without having to mimic the limitations of the target platform entirely, ala Online Office - it's very familiar to anyone using Office 2013, but of course the full desktop suite's abilities are far more extensive as you would expect.

That's what's so idiotic about all this - if this was MS's first kick at the can in terms of a music ecosystem, outside of the performance and interface inconsistency of the phone app, most would be far more forgiving with the limitations and perhaps lack of a single syncing mechanism as MS wouldn't be expected to expend considerable resources when streaming music is the 'future'. But...they have it already. They have an extremely buffed and polished app which does everything a music lover would want, they just chose to abandon it instead of just re-branding it, likely for the sake of this 'consistency' and the ill-advised push for metro apps over desktop.

It's just bizarre from a business perspective as well, as even if you want to push people to your subscription system (assuming that system worked well from the start of course, which it didn't) - why would you direct the millions of users still syncing their own music to your main competitors - meaning iTunes - which MS actually recommends as a way to sync music to your WP? This is especially idiotic when said syncing apps come with their own music store and resultant marketing? If you're using iTunes routinely to sync your music to your WP, that means you're just exposed to Apple's platform that much more. You're really going to jump back and forth to the Xbox music site when you have everything you need in terms of streaming/purchasing/audiobooks/podcasts inside the app you'll be using everyday?

The kicker is that whenever I boot up Zune, despite having nothing but features removed in 3+ years, it still looks and acts like an app from a future MS - basically, what you might expect from a well designed Windows 9 desktop/metro app hybrid model.

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007
Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced a slow/unresponsive lock button in 8.1? I upgraded my Lumia Icon a week ago and this is the only major issue I've experienced. Often it will take 3-5 seconds from pressing the lock button to the screen turning on. Not the worst thing in the world, but really annoying when I just want to check my lock screen for the time/weather/notifications. I'm not sure how common the problem is, but other people do seem to be running into it as well (not sure if it's limited to the Icon or not). I've tried suggestions other people claimed worked for them (disabling WiFi Sense, disabling Cortana, resets out the wazoo) but none of it seems to make a difference in my case.

This might just be one of those issues that need to wait for the full carrier release with device-specific firmware, but was curious if anyone had come across a solution in the meantime.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I just hit a new problem with my 920. I plugged in an aux cable to listen to podcasts on this road trip. Now it won't leave the "Headphones" mode when I unplug the cable. Is there a fix out there for this?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zippy MacPhearson posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced a slow/unresponsive lock button in 8.1? I upgraded my Lumia Icon a week ago and this is the only major issue I've experienced. Often it will take 3-5 seconds from pressing the lock button to the screen turning on. Not the worst thing in the world, but really annoying when I just want to check my lock screen for the time/weather/notifications. I'm not sure how common the problem is, but other people do seem to be running into it as well (not sure if it's limited to the Icon or not). I've tried suggestions other people claimed worked for them (disabling WiFi Sense, disabling Cortana, resets out the wazoo) but none of it seems to make a difference in my case.

This might just be one of those issues that need to wait for the full carrier release with device-specific firmware, but was curious if anyone had come across a solution in the meantime.

That does happen on my phone as well now and then. I think that it happens more in direct sunlight, but that is so weird (checking the proximity sensor and it tilting from the light?) that it is probably a confirmation bias thing.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Zippy MacPhearson posted:

I get this on my 620 from time to time. It's related to the light sensor, if you change the screen brightness from auto to a manual setting it will wake up instantly again.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
In case anyone still cares, Facebook beta app as been overhauled.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
Words With Friends also got a major overhaul, and it's free now.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Did a hard reset on my Lumia 920, still getting terrible battery life. Between this, Here Maps search being useless, the Music app being godawful, and most of the MS apps being available on Android and iOS, I'm really tempted to get a Moto E as a backup for the 3 months until the iPhone 6 comes out.

Edit: and now my battery meter isn't updating unless I reboot the phone, fantastic

Phantom Limb fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 18, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Can you move back down to 8.0 using the Nokia recovery tool? It should fix your battery and music app problems for now at least.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Can you move back down to 8.0 using the Nokia recovery tool? It should fix your battery and music app problems for now at least.

Yeah, that's a possibility. I'm really annoyed though that I have to choose between modern features and having a phone that lasts for more than a few hours. Plus having to do another hard reset is a huge pain in the rear end.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Wheezle posted:

In case anyone still cares, Facebook beta app as been overhauled.

Still can't fire-and-forget photo uploads. Why do i have to babysit the upload screen in 2014? Goddammit Facebook are you actively trying to get me of your platform?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

PlaneGuy posted:

Still can't fire-and-forget photo uploads. Why do i have to babysit the upload screen in 2014? Goddammit Facebook are you actively trying to get me of your platform?

Facebook didn't make this lovely app. Microsoft did.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

PlaneGuy posted:

Why not direct upload from the photo album on the phone? You don't have to babysit them.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Why not direct upload from the photo album on the phone? You don't have to babysit them.

That's what I do, but "share to Facebook" just opens the app. I hope this isn't a sign of sharing services to come.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'm getting a weird bug with group messaging. My dad has been trying to send everyone updates about my grandpa in the hospital. Everyone else included in the message is getting it just fine. I've gotten group messages before from different sources so I don't think that's the problem.

He's got a Moto something or other on Verizon
I've got a Lumia 920 on AT&T

Anyone know of a fix for this? Kind of annoying to have to text my wife after each group message with "what did my dad just send?"

Zippy MacPhearson
Aug 5, 2007

Tgent posted:

I get this on my 620 from time to time. It's related to the light sensor, if you change the screen brightness from auto to a manual setting it will wake up instantly again.

Appreciate the feedback, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to help in my case, even after yet another reset.

Oh well, I'm basically getting used to it at this point, annoying as it is. I guess I'll just hold out hope that it will eventually be fixed with the 'official' release / firmware updates.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PlaneGuy posted:

That's what I do, but "share to Facebook" just opens the app. I hope this isn't a sign of sharing services to come.

that's odd. You on 8 or 8.1? I'm on 8 and "share to Facebook" just uploads it right then and there.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
No news on 8.1 rolling out to ATT?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Devo posted:

I'm getting a weird bug with group messaging. My dad has been trying to send everyone updates about my grandpa in the hospital. Everyone else included in the message is getting it just fine. I've gotten group messages before from different sources so I don't think that's the problem.

Anyone know of a fix for this? Kind of annoying to have to text my wife after each group message with "what did my dad just send?"

If you can group text with others fine, my guess is that his phone/Verizon is screwing something up. Not necessarily related but Verizon couldn't get group messaging working on their windows phones for like a year or something when they first came out with the HTC Trophy. Maybe they just do it in some funky way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Devo posted:

I know this is kind of basic, but there's a setting for group messaging -- it might have somehow gotten switched off by accident? Otherwise I've got nothing; my first reaction was that this was related to iMessage fuckery but if your dad doesn't have an iPhone that's not it.

e: Or yeah Verizon might be loving this up. I think it also took them a while to get visual voicemail working properly, if they ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah I checked my group messaging setting just in case; it's all good. My wife is on the same AT&T plan as me with her iPhone and she's getting the messages just fine. So I'm not sure if it's Verizon fuckery or if something in his Android settings isn't playing nice with WP or what.