Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Kouta has been using the belt for sustenance for probably way longer than anyone else, which probably has the side effects we're seeing now.

But I had a thought occur. What if: The blonde Mai is the fallen "queen" and the overlords aren't just metaphorical parallels but actual parallel versions? That's why Sagara keeps helping Kouta, because he knew the Kouta over there and it tuns out that Roshuo is Kaito's parallel version?

Nah, Demushuu was totes Kaito. Roshuo was either Kouta or Takatora. Not sure where Redyue fits into that theory, though. She's apparently female, and Minato, our closest equivalent, honestly doesn't seem like a particularly good match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Not sure where Redyue fits into that theory, though. She's apparently female

Wait, what?

Of all the things to be surprised by.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Wait, what?

Of all the things to be surprised by.

The website and supplementary material apparently mention it. Yeah, I was weirded out too, though you can sort of see it in her armour design.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Burkion posted:

The weird thing is, I get the feeling like...Kouta is still off. I'm not sure what it is, but he still doesn't feel...

It's strange. He doesn't yet feel like an adult I guess. He's still too...soft, too... I'm really not sure how to express it.

This is interesting to me. While Gaim does play around with the theme of adulthood, I would venture that Kouta doesn't come off as adult because, first, he isn't portrayed to have responsibilities and duties beyond that of 'occasionally attempting to find a job' and therefore doesn't bear the cost of choice. His older sister, whom he lives with, basically does that all for him. It doesn't help that the fruit bar enables him to run off to do his superherotime. Takatora does come off as adult as he does show responsibility over Micchy, and that he accepted the price of saving humanity as being able to rescue only a part of it. Kouta might demonstrate some maturing within the conflicting "becoming an Overlord" thing that Sagara prophecied, but that might only resolves at the end of the show.

Second, a sign of adulthood and maturity is foresight and the capability to plan the means to your ends. Unfortunately, he's written to be just reactive to the plot. I can't remember a specific instance where he was responsible for something except for destroying the Scalar Weapons which imho is more impulsive than mature, rather than an active, willful player in plot advancement. Whatever character advancement there is basically a result of "Sagara gives Kouta a new toy because :iiam:". Even his plans to speak to the Overlords for a solution are inadvertently being carried out by Takatora.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The parallels between the Overlords and Riders are pretty obvious, considering how, you know, they're coloured the same, and we have had two out of three join up.

-Red: Kaito/Demushu. Both really, really like power and social darwinism, but while Kaito has higher values and is blatantly nicer than he tries to sound like, Demushu is obsessed with destruction and rage and ended up getting killed by Kouta.
-Green: Micchy/Redyue. Both are manipulative and prefer to work in the shadows.
-White: Takatora/Roshuo. Both had the same plan to save their races. Roshuo succeeded...and then realized he shouldn't have, and lost hope and now wants to mercy-kill humanity before they make the same mistake.

If Sagara is an Overlord (which I'm not too sure about, he might be something beyond them entirely), then he'd definitely be blue, as Kouta's counterpart.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Kouta has been using the belt for sustenance for probably way longer than anyone else, which probably has the side effects we're seeing now.

But I had a thought occur. What if: The blonde Mai is the fallen "queen" and the overlords aren't just metaphorical parallels but actual parallel versions? That's why Sagara keeps helping Kouta, because he knew the Kouta over there and it tuns out that Roshuo is Kaito's parallel version?

I'd take the crazy theory even further and say that Sagara is actually Future Kouta

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Flat Banana posted:

This is interesting to me. While Gaim does play around with the theme of adulthood, I would venture that Kouta doesn't come off as adult because, first, he isn't portrayed to have responsibilities and duties beyond that of 'occasionally attempting to find a job' and therefore doesn't bear the cost of choice. His older sister, whom he lives with, basically does that all for him. It doesn't help that the fruit bar enables him to run off to do his superherotime. Takatora does come off as adult as he does show responsibility over Micchy, and that he accepted the price of saving humanity as being able to rescue only a part of it. Kouta might demonstrate some maturing within the conflicting "becoming an Overlord" thing that Sagara prophecied, but that might only resolves at the end of the show.

Second, a sign of adulthood and maturity is foresight and the capability to plan the means to your ends. Unfortunately, he's written to be just reactive to the plot. I can't remember a specific instance where he was responsible for something except for destroying the Scalar Weapons which imho is more impulsive than mature, rather than an active, willful player in plot advancement. Whatever character advancement there is basically a result of "Sagara gives Kouta a new toy because :iiam:". Even his plans to speak to the Overlords for a solution are inadvertently being carried out by Takatora.

My bets are on this being totally intentional. Kouta's real challenge isn't in gaining the powerups, it's with using them responsibly--or resisting their temptation.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Mister Olympus posted:

My bets are on this being totally intentional. Kouta's real challenge isn't in gaining the powerups, it's with using them responsibly--or resisting their temptation.

This is my actual interpretation. Kouta's trials in the beginning of the show were learning the responsibilities and costs of his power, lessons delivered by Akira, Takatora, and even (sort of) Kaito. The more he took that to heart, the more he was tempted to fall back down under the excuse that it would be necessary. So far, he's been uncorruptible, reluctant to take power and reluctant to use what he has if he thinks there's another way. Sagara scoffs when it's pointed out to him that Kouta's first instinct on learning that the Overlords have the power to solve his problem was not to steal their power, but to ask for it. It's why he always ramps up in fights, because he doesn't want to use more force than necessary. He didn't bother using Triumphant against Demushu until he was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was no terms to come to with him.

Zenith isn't corrupting him (morally, anyway), but it doesn't have to. The temptation now is the Fruit of Knowledge, and whether he even wants it for himself. And Sagara is trying to lead him down that slippery slope, but even now the answer to that question is still "no." He still thinks of Zenith's power as the least he can force himself to grapple with, not something to gain more of.

The hell of it is, he may be right about Kaito being a good choice. Or at least, Kaito now. Kaito at the beginning or middle of the show would have been a different story.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
http://bonus--level.tumblr.com/post/80101904935/mighty-no-9-beck-call-in-kamen-rider-armors

I found this in Mighty No. 9 backer updates, I thought others might appreciate it. But now I really want to play Mighty Number Gaim. You get lockseeds after you defeat each boss.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://comicsalliance.com/kamen-rider-gaim-gotham-city-map-zawame-city/

Oh my god. I feel so dumb for not recognizing the map of Zawame now.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
So what you're saying is that Yggdrasil is Wayne Enterprises?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dexie posted:

http://comicsalliance.com/kamen-rider-gaim-gotham-city-map-zawame-city/

Oh my god. I feel so dumb for not recognizing the map of Zawame now.

The best part of this is that the map of Gotham was originally designed for the No Man's Land storyline, which is similar to the situation we're heading into now with Zawame City.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm disappointed Gaim vs Wizard didn't give us one Zangetsu transformation sequence.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Burkion posted:

The weird thing is, I get the feeling like...Kouta is still off. I'm not sure what it is, but he still doesn't feel...

It's strange. He doesn't yet feel like an adult I guess. He's still too...soft, too... I'm really not sure how to express it.

I would imagine it's how stubbornly he clings to the idea that he can talk down everyone, how long it takes him to come to terms with the fact Demushu couldn't be talked down and how horrified he seemed at the idea someone like that could exist. In a show targeted towards kids it's understandable to draw that out since kids wouldn't be as like to know just how lovely people can be. He's not jaded enough yet basically.

Burkion posted:

It's almost like they're trying to provoke some parallels with Kamen Rider Kuuga and his message of power-only Kuuga was brutally honest in that regard. Power, while necessary, is not good. Much like violence. And it can result in some nasty loving poo poo. Kouta hasn't had to deal with his quest for power backfiring in his face yet, and I really hope he does because that's one of the BEST things about Kuuga. Kuuga, like Kouta, sought more power to save lives-and had so much power he accidentally NUKED A PREFECTURE TO DUST. Kouta just gets fancy new toys and it's all cool and awesome.

To my understanding Kuuga's power didn't blow up that prefecture, the Grongi's belt exploding because of it's cracked stone did. It exploded more violently than the others of it's rank because Kuuga had destroyed a part of the belt that normally isn't or something if I recall. I could praise Kuuga for many things, and it is a great show, but lessons on the allure of and use of power is not one that would come to my mind. Godai never really has to deal with the implications of the power he obtains and the belt is destroyed at the end of the series with no hint of loss on Godai's part.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

tsob posted:

I would imagine it's how stubbornly he clings to the idea that he can talk down everyone, how long it takes him to come to terms with the fact Demushu couldn't be talked down and how horrified he seemed at the idea someone like that could exist. In a show targeted towards kids it's understandable to draw that out since kids wouldn't be as like to know just how lovely people can be. He's not jaded enough yet basically.

It would probably take something like the revelation of Micchy's douchiness to snap Kouta out of it. But where do you go from there? Will that even be enough? Who knows, which makes the wait for the next episode a pain to deal with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dante Logos posted:

It would probably take something like the revelation of Micchy's douchiness to snap Kouta out of it. But where do you go from there? Will that even be enough? Who knows, which makes the wait for the next episode a pain to deal with.

In the short term, Kouta will probably react with sadness and anger. Oh, and denial. He is very good at that one. However, I sincerely doubt that Kouta would permanently give up on Micchy unless he starts killing people. He will ultimately try to save Micchy, even if it is from Micchy himself. That's just who Kouta is, and it isn't really something he should get rid of.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

tsob posted:

Wasn't the entire conversation with Sagara, when Sagara gave Kouta Kachidoki Arms, about Kouta rejecting the rules the adult world had formed? I.e., you have to kill some for the sake of all? Demushu became, well, not even an exception because it didn't care for a single life -- it never shared a common point of belief with Kouta.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

To my understanding Kuuga's power didn't blow up that prefecture, the Grongi's belt exploding because of it's cracked stone did. It exploded more violently than the others of it's rank because Kuuga had destroyed a part of the belt that normally isn't or something if I recall. I could praise Kuuga for many things, and it is a great show, but lessons on the allure of and use of power is not one that would come to my mind. Godai never really has to deal with the implications of the power he obtains and the belt is destroyed at the end of the series with no hint of loss on Godai's part.

Actually it's pretty clearly Kuuga's power that does it-reacting with the power of his foes.

This is why it keeps happening over and over again afterwards, and why they have to steer clear of populated areas.

Also the threat of power *WAS* dealt with. Remember what happened when Godai got pissed off at the porcupine Grongi and savagely beat it to death? He had a flash of the black eyed Ultimate form.

The entire point of the Ultimate form was that Godai had to seek that power, not out of anger or rage which was how he was building to it, but out of kindness, sorrow. That's what let him keep control.

And when your final ULTIMATE BATTLE ends with two people beating the bloody poo poo out of each other, one laughing and the hero crying, until the hero, stripped of his power, beats the villain who is also stripped of his power to DEATH before collapsing in the blood soaked snow....

Yeah I think there might have been a message or two about why getting more power isn't a good thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kuuga's the show that supposedly influenced Urobuchi when he was writing Madoka, right?

Reading that has at least gotten rid of my assumption that this show would have a happy ending just because it was for kids.

VVV Thanks, I'm terrible for mixing names up.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Kuuga's the show that supposedly influenced Urobuchi when he was writing Madoka, right?

That would be more like Ryuki, which was also an inspiration for Fate Stay Night. In a fashion anyways.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

That would be more like Ryuki, which was also an inspiration for Fate Stay Night. In a fashion anyways.

I'm watching Ryuki incidentally. Right now though, all I'm getting is notBatman is a rather huge dick.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dante Logos posted:

I'm watching Ryuki incidentally. Right now though, all I'm getting is notBatman is a rather huge dick.

Basically it ties into the not quite apparent until later time loop fuckery that is pivotal to Ryuki, where Fate Stay takes more after the obvious THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE highlander nonsense and the contracting and how the contracting works, minus having sex with your contracted person. Pretty sure the time loop bullshit doesn't kick in til near the end, but Ryuki has like 3 or so different endings because of it. Effectively, Homorua or however her name is spelled is Knight with the power to kickstart the time loop at will.

So yeah.

And as noted, Kill La Kill 'homaged' OOO final fight pretty hard and heavy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Gaim is fantastic, and it's my introduction to Kamen Rider. Do any other shows in the franchise match, exceed, or even approach its level of quality?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Darth Walrus posted:

So Gaim is fantastic, and it's my introduction to Kamen Rider. Do any other shows in the franchise match, exceed, or even approach its level of quality?
The only one that's close in popularity and quality consistently is Double, as far as modern shows go.

OOOs is really hit or miss, where people REALLY love it or REALLY hate it. If you can connect with the main cast, it's really, really good.

I've always heard Kuuga is also at the top of the best series, but I haven't seen enough of the series to judge. Anything pre-decade is going to feel a whole lot different than Gaim though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I really liked Fourze, even if the ending is both too cliche and not thorough enough.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the older shows, even just shows before Decade, have a whole different feel than Gaim. Gaim is, for all of its quality, kind of strangled by its toyline a lot of the time, especially in regards to power ups and when the hero gets 'em. It manages to get past this more than not, but the effect is still pretty obvious.

The older shows clearly had toys, but they also clealry didn't give a poo poo about them and didn't go out of their way to be obtrusive.

And then the original shows were just fun 1970s super hero romps. Unless it was Kamen Rider Black which is just a weird and unique show and RX which is a metal hero series.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd say Kabuto and Ryuki are up there.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

boom boom boom posted:

I'd say Kabuto and Ryuki are up there.

Id agree with you but Id also be wrong.

But I want to agree with you, really I do. Truly.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kabuto has some of the best suit designs, Kagami makes a great protagonist and it has an awesome seconday cast, including the secondary Riders.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Potsticker posted:

Kabuto has some of the best suit designs, Kagami makes a great protagonist and it has an awesome seconday cast, including the secondary Riders.

Tendou Souji is the protagonist of Kamen Rider Kabuto.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

Tendou Souji is the protagonist of Kamen Rider Kabuto.

Now let's not say things we can't take back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Double is probably the most solid overall, but it has some incredibly awful episodes. Fourze is unrelentingly optimistic- I'm a fan, but it isn't much like Gaim at all. OOO has what I believe is the best supporting cast of these examples, but frequently the rest of the show is kind of bland. Kuuga is very slow and repetitive, but it makes up for it with the excellent character work all around. Black is a very silly show for most of its run (supposedly because it uses a bunch of generic stock toku scripts), paired with a very intense mc that doesn't really fit. Wizard and Decade are just plain bad. If you want to try anything else, you will have to go through tv-nihon subs, which I do not recommend.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

Now let's not say things we can't take back.

It is undeniably true.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

It is undeniably true.

Dude is the title character- giving him status of protagonist is a BIT presumptuous.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Poison Mushroom posted:

I really liked Fourze, even if the ending is both too cliche and not thorough enough.

That's because the ending is not in the actual series, but in Movie War Ultimatum.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tendou Souji is the comic relief, in Kabuto.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Burkion posted:

Dude is the title character- giving him status of protagonist is a BIT presumptuous.

He is the title character. His character arc drives the plot. His tragic backstory is a central part of the plot. The secondary Riders all mirror him in some way, Kagami Arata. By any definition, Tendou is the main character.

Compare that to Kagami Arata, the guy whose character arc is more of a character slightly inclined line, who's only affect on the plot is how he effects Tendou, and whose tragic backstory is dealt with 5 episodes in by someone else(the actual main character of the show)

Tendou is the main character. If you say it's Kagami you're retarded.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I just said Kagami makes a good protagonist. Not that he was the protagonist. I was trying to be as positive as possible towards Kabuto, there. Which I thought was quite obvious.

boom boom boom posted:

Compare that to Kagami Arata, the guy whose character arc is more of a character slightly inclined line, who's only affect on the plot is how he effects Tendou, and whose tragic backstory is dealt with 5 episodes in by someone else(the actual main character of the show)

Tendou has no character arc. He starts as the best and ends as the best. He destroys every badguy, even if he has no business doing so and it clips another character's arc.

everythingWasBees posted:

Tendou Souji is the comic relief, in Kabuto.

This is a good post.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
If you're going to watch Kabuto, which I would say is an enjoyable show, stop after the Iron Chef episode or when you see the bunker beach. Just make up some ending in your head and stop there, because it's better than the last bit of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Potsticker posted:

Tendou has no character arc. He starts as the best and ends as the best. He destroys every badguy, even if he has no business doing so and it clips another character's arc.

His story is about discovering that he can trust other people,that other people have been through experiences like him and can understand him. He begins and ends the show as the best, but he's still a very different person at the end.

• Locked thread