Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Monomythian posted:

Also you goons are crazy, Three's dlc was the best one.

Aside from the dialogue what was actually good about that? The arena fights with a lovely moveset are not fun. Neither was the platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Aside from the dialogue what was actually good about that? The arena fights with a lovely moveset are not fun. Neither was the platforming.

The game is ugly as sin and watching the same doors open and close again as loading times is really tedious. Why would you ever want to spend more time running through the levels then you absolutely have to? Threes arenas are great because its an variety of unique enemies/combinations just thrown in front of you to murder. While she explains what they are and why she made them, instead of mowing down a hundred ineffective soldiers like all the other sisters.

I found One's dlc to the be the worst. The whole brother thing is TERRIBLE, pretty sure that entire plot aspect only exists to somehow tie in that dreadful manga. Ones dlc should have been about One and Gabriella to mirror the relationship going on between Zero and Micheal. There is nothing about One and Gabriella outside of a few battle comments. You would think more time would be spent on the Dragon that helps all the sisters and is a major boss several times through the game but...nope, the brother with 30 seconds of screen time requires more characterization apparently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having played the DLC, all I really want now is a Mikhail/Gabriella buddy cop movie.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Also now that I have finished this I can have a good bitch with everything wrong with this game.

Localisation is a mess.

They changed Zeros character in translation quite a bit, but whatever.
Japanese text appears in Fours jewel misson.
Gabriellas attack emotes are in Japanese on Fives seaside misson.
Game always default selected Branch D after I unlocked it, regardless of what mission I previously played, having to cycle through the list of dlc missions every time.
Zeros DLC is broken in the EU, it actually crashes during the final cutscene.
Apparently the Japanese voice DLC is broken entirely in the EU as well. They didn't test the dlc in the EU at all lol

Plot stuff that makes no sense.

The Flower making her immortal makes no sense because you die at 0 health??? If the only way to destroy the Flower is for a Dragon to consume it then why do Dragon Bone weapons kill Intoners?! Zero claims she needs a Dragon to kill her sisters and herself and yet murders the gently caress out of her sisters with her Dragon Bone Sword and then gets stabbed in the back with a Dragon Bone Dagger on Branch A end like a chump and dies anyway. Why couldn't she just have murdered her sisters with a Dragon Bone weapon and then stabbed herself? SHE NEVER NEEDED A DRAGON IN THE FIRST PLACE ARGHH

Having alternate branches be cannon is really terrible and Accord is a lovely character. They should have been cut, Brother One, Ending A, and Ones dlc should have been cut. Branches should have been cut entirely, leaving the entire plot as one linear narrative would have been a great service to game and its review scores. Having Micheal be needed to explicitly eat the Intoners/Flower would have made more sense and be more interesting. The game attempted to convey this a few times but Dragon Bone Weapons killing what are suppose to be immortal Intoners is a massive plot hole.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Dieing at zero health is a gameplay mechanic, and Intoners supposedly can't commit suicide (1 points it out).

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Monomythian posted:

Also now that I have finished this I can have a good bitch with everything wrong with this game.

The Flower making her immortal makes no sense because you die at 0 health??? If the only way to destroy the Flower is for a Dragon to consume it then why do Dragon Bone weapons kill Intoners?! Zero claims she needs a Dragon to kill her sisters and herself and yet murders the gently caress out of her sisters with her Dragon Bone Sword and then gets stabbed in the back with a Dragon Bone Dagger on Branch A end like a chump and dies anyway. Why couldn't she just have murdered her sisters with a Dragon Bone weapon and then stabbed herself? SHE NEVER NEEDED A DRAGON IN THE FIRST PLACE ARGHH

Having alternate branches be cannon is really terrible and Accord is a lovely character. They should have been cut, Brother One, Ending A, and Ones dlc should have been cut. Branches should have been cut entirely, leaving the entire plot as one linear narrative would have been a great service to game and its review scores. Having Micheal be needed to explicitly eat the Intoners/Flower would have made more sense and be more interesting. The game attempted to convey this a few times but Dragon Bone Weapons killing what are suppose to be immortal Intoners is a massive plot hole.

Regarding your first point, why does she needs a dragon to kill herself? Because trying to off herself would lead to the final boss of branch D: The Flower steps in to prevent it.
I guess your mileage vary regarding Accord. It's not like having multiple dimensions is a novel idea in video games. Finally, Michael does not need to eat the Intoners, he's just led to, because Dragons pretty much instinctly oppose what the Flower is, as seen in both previous games.

However, I agree that dying at 0 life might be a gampleplay mechanic, it contradicts the story. Maybe they should have gone with a Soul Reaver or Dark Souls things of respawning somewhere else with replenished ennemies.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is there ever any reason to not just use the weapons with the highest damage?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

Is there ever any reason to not just use the weapons with the highest damage?

Combo preference is really the only thing stopping you.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Monomythian posted:

The game is ugly as sin and watching the same doors open and close again as loading times is really tedious. Why would you ever want to spend more time running through the levels then you absolutely have to? Three's arenas are great because its an variety of unique enemies/combinations just thrown in front of you to murder. While she explains what they are and why she made them, instead of mowing down a hundred ineffective soldiers like all the other sisters.
The enemies were not tailored to three's moveset. The super fast imps for example are just annoying and either you do that long rear end charge attack or you dash around trying to swing at them. Also the enemies are not unique. For instance the orges just have faster attack animations and they throw more then one of them at you. They weren't mixing enemy types there.

Dialogue's still good but this would have been a lot more fun if we could do this with any sister or different weapon movesets. Three's attack animations are kinda lazy also, it would have been nice to include maybe a swing with the scissors in her other hand or work those in properly instead of being another sword.

The gameplay in Three's DLC is terrible.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Monomythian posted:

The game is ugly as sin and watching the same doors open and close again as loading times is really tedious. Why would you ever want to spend more time running through the levels then you absolutely have to? Threes arenas are great because its an variety of unique enemies/combinations just thrown in front of you to murder. While she explains what they are and why she made them, instead of mowing down a hundred ineffective soldiers like all the other sisters.

I found One's dlc to the be the worst. The whole brother thing is TERRIBLE, pretty sure that entire plot aspect only exists to somehow tie in that dreadful manga. Ones dlc should have been about One and Gabriella to mirror the relationship going on between Zero and Micheal. There is nothing about One and Gabriella outside of a few battle comments. You would think more time would be spent on the Dragon that helps all the sisters and is a major boss several times through the game but...nope, the brother with 30 seconds of screen time requires more characterization apparently.

I'm pretty sure brother one just exits to fill the "creepy incestuous relationship" quota that Taro Yoko requires each of his games to have.

Sidenote: Taro Yoko was personally involved in the Brother one manga. He planned it and over saw it's development. So. Yeah. You might be right.

Monomythian posted:

They changed Zeros character in translation quite a bit, but whatever.

what did they change about her character?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Regarding your first point, why does she needs a dragon to kill herself? Because trying to off herself would lead to the final boss of branch D: The Flower steps in to prevent it.

Pretty sure shes just plain dead in Branch A and does not Bloom, in fact the game demonstrated several times that the Flower just spits out another Zero anytime she takes mortal damage. The Flower is able to resurrect Five only because it was Dito that attempt to kill her, and his weapon is not made from Dragon Bone.

All six Intoners are immortal ticking timebombs that will eventually bloom into a monstrosity that will wipe out all humanity, the gravity of the that situation is much more serious when a Dragon, a creature who cares nothing about the survival of humanity, is the only possible thing that can kill the Flower, as opposed to any chump wielding a piece of Dragon Bone.

False Arm. Was it ever explained why she keeps her false arm even though she could regenerate it if she wanted beyond her answer of "I have my reasons"?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

what did they change about her character?

From what I understand, Zero is more apathetic and monotone compared to her English counterpart, which is full of hate and aggro, all the time. She is merely sociopathic in the original while practically psychopathic in the English version.

Remember the Flower has essentially ripped aspects of her personality/soul away and created exaggerated clones. Zero renamed herself Zero because she lost the characteristics that made her who she once was.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Strange question: are the characters' short stories hidden in the game as unlockables or anything like that? I vaguely remember reading that they are, but I could be wrong.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Monomythian posted:

False Arm. Was it ever explained why she keeps her false arm even though she could regenerate it if she wanted beyond her answer of "I have my reasons"?

My guess: Gabriel from the start blew it off.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Her getting killed by a dragon is a bit arbitrary, but I don't feel like they contradicted it (in the story at least, not in gameplay). In Ending A she's killed by One's brother using her own sword, which is made from a dragon's tooth and counts. The reason she can't kill herself is because the flower intervenes and doesn't let her.

The parts I'm not really sure about are One's brother not being shown at all in the other paths (what does he end up doing? does he just abandon his entire purpose for existing?) and why things happened differently at all. Why did Zero even turn into the giant flower thing, the circumstances aren't any different from Ending B except Mikail is alive (and can thus fight back).

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Momomo posted:

Her getting killed by a dragon is a bit arbitrary, but I don't feel like they contradicted it (in the story at least, not in gameplay). In Ending A she's killed by One's brother using her own sword, which is made from a dragon's tooth and counts. The reason she can't kill herself is because the flower intervenes and doesn't let her.

The parts I'm not really sure about are One's brother not being shown at all in the other paths (what does he end up doing? does he just abandon his entire purpose for existing?) and why things happened differently at all. Why did Zero even turn into the giant flower thing, the circumstances aren't any different from Ending B except Mikail is alive (and can thus fight back).

I guess she didn't turn in Branch B because she only does so if the flower feels she's going to try to kill herself. She didn't, because she knew that with Mikhail dead, it would just doom the world, and so the Flower let her be.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I finished up a few more DLC chapters today... figure I'll get those all knocked out before finishing off Branch D.

Three - Well that certainly answers my question about Octa's motive for defection. :catstare: Also, the final entry in Three's section of the memoirs is horribly :smith:... I can't believe this game actually made me feel bad for a boss from Drakengard 1.

Two - GOD loving DAMMIT, TARO YOKO, WHY DO YOU HATE CHILDREN?! :negative: :smithicide: I think I'll be sticking to Verses 1 and 2 for Two to grind her up to level 10. I don't think I can subject myself to Verses 3 and 4 again.

Christ, I need a break. It's moments like these I wish I drank.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just got the first ending and I have to say this game was pretty bad. Not Drakengard 1 bad but still bad. The story was really barebones and the climax unsatisfying. The camera during the final boss was almost comically bad. Hopefully the other endings will be more entertaining but I honestly expected more from this. Joke's on me I suppose.

Funniest thing about the game was how completely worthless in every possible way the disciples were.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 14, 2014

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So, I'm going through the DLC to help get money to unlock branch D.

When you select a chapter, if it says Complete, that means you got every possible chest right? Otherwise you're still missing one? Because I can't find the first chest in Five's Chapter, Verse 3.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ShadeofDante posted:

So, I'm going through the DLC to help get money to unlock branch D.

When you select a chapter, if it says Complete, that means you got every possible chest right? Otherwise you're still missing one? Because I can't find the first chest in Five's Chapter, Verse 3.

Yeah, Complete means you've found every chest. Verse 3 is the one at the Shrine of Seas, right? I remember there's one earlier in the stage in an area with boats where you turn back and on the wall near the door there's a chest, though of course not which chest is actually the first.

Also: I apologize for any misrepresentation of Five's DLC earlier as stated by forums poster Ineffiable, I liked it quite a bit but I couldn't figure out what to say about what I liked about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey, didn't a companion book come out recently that explains parts of the story? Does anyone have it? If so: does it explain why The apostles turn into birds at the end?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, didn't a companion book come out recently that explains parts of the story? Does anyone have it? If so: does it explain why The apostles turn into birds at the end?

The game itself explains that in branch D. The Apostles were never human, they're birds transmuted into followers by the Intoners' power. Why they ended up with such whacky personalities is anyone's guess.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

The game itself explains that in branch D. The Apostles were never human, they're birds transmuted into followers by the Intoners' power. Why they ended up with such whacky personalities is anyone's guess.

One's DLC explains that all the Apostles exist to prevent the Intoners from unleashing their impulsive desires upon the world, whether that be their need for a victim of their cruelty, or their need for love.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
gently caress that last note of the Final Song. gently caress it hard. :mad:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I'm starting to feel like either I'm crazy for preferring the dub Zero, or all of the Drakengard fans on the internet are the worst ~~my animes~~ motherfuckers in the world. Come on, people, do we really need yet another monotone dead-fish anime waifu? I spent the whole game laughing along with angry, violent, sexual deviants, and in the end isn't that what Drakengard is all about? :allears:

:ninja: edit: Also, as someone who got all the DLC in a fit of poor impulse control, I'll say that:
--Just running through them once, each, is amazing for farming (I unlocked Branch D as soon as I beat Branch C, no need to weapon grind)
--Five's had the best dialogue, Two's had the best story (Drakengard!)
--Three's was the absolute worst in p. much every way, and I can't decide which mission would be the least painful to play over and over to get her to L10 because I don't want to repeat any of them
--I kept texting screenshots to my friends while playing because Gabriella is the sassiest dragon grandma I've ever encountered in any piece of media, anywhere, holy poo poo

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I didn't play the localization but from what I saw streamed/online English Zero portrays an entirely different character. This sums it up nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZmvxJF_HU&t=165s

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

AmiYumi posted:

I'm starting to feel like either I'm crazy for preferring the dub Zero, or all of the Drakengard fans on the internet are the worst ~~my animes~~ motherfuckers in the world. Come on, people, do we really need yet another monotone dead-fish anime waifu? I spent the whole game laughing along with angry, violent, sexual deviants, and in the end isn't that what Drakengard is all about? :allears:

:ninja: edit: Also, as someone who got all the DLC in a fit of poor impulse control, I'll say that:
--Just running through them once, each, is amazing for farming (I unlocked Branch D as soon as I beat Branch C, no need to weapon grind)
--Three's was the absolute worst in p. much every way, and I can't decide which mission would be the least painful to play over and over to get her to L10 because I don't want to repeat any of them
--I kept texting screenshots to my friends while playing because Gabriella is the sassiest dragon grandma I've ever encountered in any piece of media, anywhere, holy poo poo

I agree with this, but I also feel that One's just seems to be the worst overall. I just don't find chakrams fun as the other weapons, the story is really dull, and no Gabriella.

Three is bad to play because her range sucks.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Three is bad to play because her range sucks.

I think a bunch of Three's complaints stem from that no one uses her heavy jump attack, which is a powerful, wide, and long range slash. Its the same as the Bloodletter and makes the first wave of spirit possessed soldiers on the Survival 4/5 a breeze.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Okay, can anyone give me some tips for beating "Book Club: Sanctity"?

I just can't. Kill. FAST ENOUGH! :black101:

I know to use the bombs to take out the Cerberus faster, but even with that, I just can't manage to kill all the enemies in time...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Monomythian posted:

I think a bunch of Three's complaints stem from that no one uses her heavy jump attack, which is a powerful, wide, and long range slash. Its the same as the Bloodletter and makes the first wave of spirit possessed soldiers on the Survival 4/5 a breeze.

I'll give that a try.

So yeah, finally beat the final song. Go me! I'm gonna try to go for the platinum now since I just conquered the hardest thing in the game. I have all the dlc which will help with money.

Clandestine
May 31, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

I didn't mind Three's DLC all too much, but that may have been because of her Intoner memoirs and nothing else. When grinding out levels though, I've made it a rule of thumb to always pick the easiest sassy grandma level, and roll it until I hit level 10. They always offer obscene amounts of exp, and for the most part, are relatively quick and painless to do.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

The_White_Crane posted:

Okay, can anyone give me some tips for beating "Book Club: Sanctity"?

I just can't. Kill. FAST ENOUGH! :black101:

I know to use the bombs to take out the Cerberus faster, but even with that, I just can't manage to kill all the enemies in time...

Just gonna repost what I said earlier :

If anyone reads this and also have difficulty with that mission, heres what I did:
-Use a sword for the cerberus (I used bloodletter). You want to hit bombbearers while you're hammering the dog to kill him asap.
-Use bloodmode as soon as it's available, except if there's no one around.
-Stick to the statue! Getting lost in the mist is the worst thing to do. Hit bombbearers, shift, combo until you hit another bombearers, while circling the statue.
-If you see a lancer or a big undead, focus, they seems to be the ones with the gems.

No really, don't save your blood, and go for the lancers and undead, unless it means going far in the mist.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Upgraded Iron Will is great for these stages, because the aerial heavy has RIDICULOUS range. Abuse the poo poo out of it for missions where killing things with bombs is possible.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

everythingWasBees posted:

One's DLC explains that all the Apostles exist to prevent the Intoners from unleashing their impulsive desires upon the world, whether that be their need for a victim of their cruelty, or their need for love.

Oxxidation posted:

No, I knew that already. What I was actually trying to ask was why birds? were they created from birds? or do they just turn into birds when they run out of power? do they still remember being human? Could they be turned BACK into humans? That's what I wanted more information on. Anyway, I assume their whacky personalities are because they're created from the intoner who are all basically insane, but I could be wrong.

nth Term
Nov 6, 2012
This being the world of Drakengard, they probably had those personalities to begin with.

Which sky mission is the easiest to 100%? I've almost got all of the trophies and I don't want to make this harder than I have to.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

nth Term posted:

This being the world of Drakengard, they probably had those personalities to begin with.

Which sky mission is the easiest to 100%? I've almost got all of the trophies and I don't want to make this harder than I have to.

End of Chapter Two. The sky mission against 4's daemon. (you have to do the boss fight itself, but it should be easier this time around.)

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I made it to the final verse.

I know true despair now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

nth Term posted:

I love the thought that Four managed to bag the worlds most masochistic pigeon.

ShadeofDante posted:

I made it to the final verse.

I know true despair now.

Yoko Taro shall have his fill tonight. :unsmigghh:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I just did ending A. well that was something.
I can assume that they aren't dead, I'm waiting on the credits now. or is this like Drakengard 1 endings, A,B,C and D are totally different. I'll find out soon enough.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've reached the Final Verse. And without the timing video, I can't even get past the third note. :shepicide:

With the timing video, I can at least make it to Five's segment. Gonna need some more practice, but I'm gonna get this done. I'm really, really gonna get this done!

Just... not tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

W.T. Fits posted:

I've reached the Final Verse. And without the timing video, I can't even get past the third note. :shepicide:

With the timing video, I can at least make it to Five's segment. Gonna need some more practice, but I'm gonna get this done. I'm really, really gonna get this done!

Just... not tonight.

Can you link the timing video? I can regularly get to the final segment, but gently caress that section where it fades to black.

• Locked thread