Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RZApublican posted:

On a scale of one to ten how high was Hulk during that promo?

Jake Roberts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Good god, what an atrocious promo.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Jake Roberts.

Robert Downey Jr. on a bad day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Good god, what an atrocious promo.

Stick it brother, you are now known as the STUPID LITTLE MAN.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MassRafTer posted:

Jake Roberts.

I'm old enough to remember when Jake Roberts wasn't old, fat and on crack, and the DDT was the target of a :airquote: campaign :airquote: to ban the move because it was TOO EXTREME and KILLED SIX MEN IN KANSAS CITY or something, but somehow it was always allowed and Jake was able to paralyze a new person every week like everybody wanted.

:corsair:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

"I think Jakes DDT should be banned. Its too dangerous."

"What about the huge python he carries that sometimes bites people?"

"The snake is fine, its that DDT I'm concerned about."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The DDT might kill people but Damien? He's harmless. Trust me.

*bites macho man, dies of cocaine overdose*

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought that was a specially defanged cobra that bit him for that bit and then promptly croaked because coke steroids SHEER COINCIDENCE OK

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

sean10mm posted:

I thought that was a specially defanged cobra that bit him for that bit and then promptly croaked because coke steroids SHEER COINCIDENCE OK

I thought that was the cobra that died from being left overnight in the trunk of Jake's car.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Not defanged, devenomed. It definitely had fangs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

RZApublican posted:

One last WCW tale, which again involves poor ED and once again illustrates why Bookers are better than Writers and could also be a warning to all who are producing pro-wrestling currently. One afternoon at TV I was walking with Ed Ferarra who had the format sheet for Nitro in his hand and he was organizing what seemed like 100 pre-taped segments backstage. I half jokingly commented to him, "drat, you aren't afraid to write a thousand pre-tapes are you?" To this he responded, "Well, we have to tell these stories." in rebuttal I pointed out, "You know, if given time some of us can actually tell these stories in the ring." This got no verbal response from Ed, all I got from him was a look of befuddlement like this concept had never occurred to him before and he didn't really believe me.

All this needs is "And then the entire backstage roster stood up and applauded" to be one of those "poo poo that didn't happen" stories.

Lotus Brony
Feb 21, 2012

by Cowcaster

Luigi Thirty posted:

I laughed at this having initially read it as Damien having killed Macho Man in the long-term, as the snake was as drugged out as Jake himself.

Speaking of which, how did Jake treat Damien? Well cared for and loved (as much as a snake can be)? Or woefully abused?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lotus Brony posted:

Speaking of which, how did Jake treat Damien? Well cared for and loved (as much as a snake can be)? Or woefully abused?

In theory, the former.

In practice... There's been more than two Damiens.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Lotus Brony posted:

I laughed at this having initially read it as Damien having killed Macho Man in the long-term, as the snake was as drugged out as Jake himself.

I don't know about woefully, but definitely abused. WWF had a company on call who could ship another snake at a moments notice since they'd die so often. I really hate watching the animals in 80s WWF knowing they were around the likes of Dynamite Kid and all the other sociopaths.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cromulent posted:

I don't know about woefully, but definitely abused. WWF had a company on call who could ship another snake at a moments notice since they'd die so often. I really hate watching the animals in 80s WWF knowing they were around the likes of Dynamite Kid and all the other sociopaths.

Frankie made it out :unsmith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think Jake abused the snakes but he didn't actually like having to take them on the road. (Yes, he was personally responsible for carrying them around.) One Damien died in 2004 because Jake forgot to feed him for the better part of a year. (Granted, there's some he-said-she-said about who was supposed to be taking care of the snake, if I remember right.)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Even if Jake was trying to take care of Damien, I can't imagine that he could have done so very well on the road in the 80's, even before he was drugged/drunk out of his mind all the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I don't think they gave him any training on how to care for the snake while on the road. He's told a couple funny stories about the snake escaping on a plane (don't say it) and in the locker room shower.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I have heard that at least one Damian died because Jake left him in a rent-a-car trunk on a hot day.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I mean he's no Kerry Von Erich going around killing animals but it was still him being hosed up 24/7.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Forgot to feed him for a year"

Lotus Brony
Feb 21, 2012

by Cowcaster
Aw cripes, that sucks about Damien. How about Koko B Ware's birds? They fare any better? I wouldn't be surprised if those were rented, as those types of birds don't do well with traveling.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lotus Brony posted:

Aw cripes, that sucks about Damien. How about Koko B Ware's birds? They fare any better? I wouldn't be surprised if those were rented, as those types of birds don't do well with traveling.

Yeah, he only had one bird (Frankie) that, iirc, was actually his pet before the gimmick. Sadly, Frankie died in a house fire back in like 2000.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wanted to throw up a little when Dave started telling the story of Kerry putting the Claw on a cat before Bryan demanded he stop

Of course Dave kept going for a bit

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"Forgot to feed him for a year"

You only have to feed snakes quarterly, its wild

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Oh... oh god. Oh god! The British Bulldogs were entrusted with an actual bulldog! MATILDA! MAAATIIIILDAAAA!! :gonk:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LvK posted:

Oh... oh god. Oh god! The British Bulldogs were entrusted with an actual bulldog! MATILDA! MAAATIIIILDAAAA!! :gonk:

Sociopaths often love animals and treat them well. Just look at me, I love cats!

Tonight, 8 PM: WCW Road Wild 97: THE FIRST DEFENSE

Lex Luger defends his newly won WCW World title against Hollywood Hogan.

Konnan faces Rey Mysterio Jr in a Mexican Death Match

Mongo and Benoit take on Jarrett and Malenko in an elimination match.

Alex Wright defends the cruiserweight title against Jericho.

Ric Flair wrestles Syxx.

Hennig clashes with DDP.

Macho vs Giant

Steiners vs Outsiders for the tag titles...

it's a bad show folks. A really bad show. After the heights of last week we're back to Sturgis, back to the bikers and a bad show. I hope it'll be funny! It will be better to laugh than to cry.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 7:30 for the Season 3 premiere of Cowboy Who?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MassRafTer posted:

Sociopaths often love animals and treat them well. Just look at me, I love cats!

Tonight, 8 PM: WCW Road Wild 97: THE FIRST DEFENSE

Lex Luger defends his newly won WCW World title against Hollywood Hogan.

Konnan faces Rey Mysterio Jr in a Mexican Death Match

Mongo and Benoit take on Jarrett and Malenko in an elimination match.

Alex Wright defends the cruiserweight title against Jericho.

Ric Flair wrestles Syxx.

Hennig clashes with DDP.

Macho vs Giant

Steiners vs Outsiders for the tag titles...

it's a bad show folks. A really bad show. After the heights of last week we're back to Sturgis, back to the bikers and a bad show. I hope it'll be funny! It will be better to laugh than to cry.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 7:30 for the Season 3 premiere of Cowboy Who?

Is this the one with Brutus Beefcake?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is the show that opens with Harlem Heat as faces at a biker rally, isn't it?

That's a bad wrestling memory.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

STAC Goat posted:

This is the show that opens with Harlem Heat as faces at a biker rally, isn't it?

That's a bad wrestling memory.

That was 96 iirc

bartok
May 10, 2006

On paper Syxx vs. Ric Flair sounds like an incredible match.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I wanted to throw up a little when Dave started telling the story of Kerry putting the Claw on a cat before Bryan demanded he stop

I didn't realize that was a true story until I heard him talking about it today.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think Jake abused the snakes but he didn't actually like having to take them on the road. (Yes, he was personally responsible for carrying them around.) One Damien died in 2004 because Jake forgot to feed him for the better part of a year. (Granted, there's some he-said-she-said about who was supposed to be taking care of the snake, if I remember right.)

I had heard the truth of that story was that Jake actually started to get into animal rescue, and he brought in that snake which was already in ill health, not that his alcoholism or drug abuse contributed to it's death.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Somehow there's way more yokels, hayseeds and white trash then a normal wrestling show in attendence.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Open up retro observer and first thing you see is

quote:

WCW SPRING STAMPEDE FINAL POLL RESULTS

Thumbs up 10 (06.5%)

Thumbs down 89 (57.8%)

In the middle 55 (35.7%)

:wcw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Open up retro observer and first thing you see is

:wcw:

After watching that show recently I can say without a doubt all but 10 of those people are idiots.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, Spring Stampede was fun. Now that goddamn Sturgis PPV....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So was Meltz hard on the decision to hotshot the belt back and forth from Hogan to Luger and back to Hogan?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Thauros posted:

Yeah, Spring Stampede was fun. Now that goddamn Sturgis PPV....

Maybe I am crazy but Road Wild 1997 wasn't as bad as I remembered. The ending sucked but there were three good matches on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I enjoyed how for a moment, Bryan got caught up in it and was going to ask a question about what happened, but quickly stopped himself and went back to demanding they move on.