Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Demented Guy posted:

Just bought the refurb from the Nintendo website. Can't wait for it to arrive.

For $300 (including two-day shipping and taxes), I'll have the following:

Wii U Deluxe
Nintendoland
Mario Kart 8 (price matched Amazon less $15 Target deal by buying a pre-order card)
SM3DW (did the price match + Target deal again)
Wind Waker (when I register MK8)

I was tempted to do the same Target deal on Tropical Freeze but that's too many games already. Between this and the PS4, I'm set this generation.

I think you'll also have 20 bucks in deluxe points after that

Oh wait 10 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Wild Knight posted:

I know, I have one, and I tried both Toshiba and Microsoft stacks but neither of them worked, can't even get my phone to connect let alone a controller. :shrug:
If you really want to use the controller on your PC I suggest buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Just plug it in, run the software and it will work flawlessly. Their is a switch on the side that you can use for directinput or Xinput and have it be recognized as a 360 controller. I use it for games where I prefer a better D-pad than the 360 like Injustice or Broforce. The only downside is the receiver is a little bit bigger than I wanted it to be.

Sonel fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 16, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Comrade Flynn posted:

How's the Pikmin 3 DLC?

Little late but I found the first couple packs lame and not that good (I played em once then never really cared about it again)

Last pack has brand new settings and mechanics and are really really fun though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Just a question, has anyone run into trouble with their 32gb not having enough storage space? I kind of never want to purchase a Wii U disc and was wondering how long the default setup goes. I'm pretty sure NSMBU was under 2 gb and that makes 32gb seem like it'd stretch for miles. I'm such a spazz about this that I traded in the disc that came with my Mario Kart bundle and bought the points to pay for the download.

The Wii U is like utter perfection for a space fetishist. I can bury the main console and forget it exists and just have the docking station and not even care about plugging it into the TV. gently caress no I'm not going to fitz around with discs and their terrible packaging poo poo if I can help it.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

kater posted:

Just a question, has anyone run into trouble with their 32gb not having enough storage space? I kind of never want to purchase a Wii U disc and was wondering how long the default setup goes. I'm pretty sure NSMBU was under 2 gb and that makes 32gb seem like it'd stretch for miles. I'm such a spazz about this that I traded in the disc that came with my Mario Kart bundle and bought the points to pay for the download.

The Wii U is like utter perfection for a space fetishist. I can bury the main console and forget it exists and just have the docking station and not even care about plugging it into the TV. gently caress no I'm not going to fitz around with discs and their terrible packaging poo poo if I can help it.

It's not going to last you very long if you plan on buying nothing but digital purchases.. Just get an external TB hdd and be done with it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I've been hearing a little bit about Wii VC games being upgradeable to the WiiU. This is something I'm generally interested in as I think the WiiU eShop is a little bare and I'd like to move away from my retro collection and get them digitally instead. Can someone tell me more about how this stuff works? How do I access the Wii eShop, are all games upgradeable, is it a hassle, etc.?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you have transferred a game from your original Wii and it's available on the Wii U eShop, you should see it listed for $0.99. To transfer your stuff you need to download a special program from the old eShop on your original Wii and a SD card.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

CatsPajamas posted:

This really needs to be the new title of the thread. Actually like people have mentioned the OP is way out of date, and we've passed 1000 pages. Might be a good time for a new thread.

I've been brainstorming for a new OP. I'd like to overhaul the organization for the "Games" section to make it more compact without the incredibly ugly empty space it leaves, but I'm at a bit of a loss of how to approach that without getting rid of the cover art entirely.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh, so the only things upgradeable are the things already on the WiiU eShop? Welp, that's not how I understood it at all. Nevermind then!

Also I just remembered an extremely dumb question: Are VC games playable strictly on the gamepad? I spend a lot of my WiiU time just laying in bed or watching a show or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

kater posted:

I got MK8, SM3DW, WWHD, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U and Pikmin 3, along with all the 30cent VC games they released last year and Zen Pinball and I'm basically out of space. If you want Donkey Kong or The Wonderful 101 then you better buy an external or get discs.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 16, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

Oh, so the only things upgradeable are the things already on the WiiU eShop? Welp, that's not how I understood it at all. Nevermind then!

Also I just remembered an extremely dumb question: Are VC games playable strictly on the gamepad? I spend a lot of my WiiU time just laying in bed or watching a show or something.

All Wii U VC games, and basically every Nintendo game except Nintendoland is completely playable Off TV. For eShop and 3rd party games you'll want to check around though, and the store pages don't always say one way or the other.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 16, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kaubocks posted:

Only Wii U VC games are playable strictly on the gamepad; you won't be able to play your old Wii VC games that way unless you upgrade them, which costs a dollar or so depending on the game, and a large chunck of the Wii VC catalogue can't be upgraded yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sorry if this has been answered but has it been said that Hyrule Warriors will have online?

I'm starting to get interested and I think that would make it a instant buy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm gonna guess it will, since Warriors Orochi 3 had both online coop, and local with tv/gamepad split screen.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

I think you'll also have 20 bucks in deluxe points after that

Oh wait 10 bucks

I don't seem to be seeing my deluxe points? Where do they show up?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I don't seem to be seeing my deluxe points? Where do they show up?

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

Right here.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is there anything I need to know about buying a used wii u? Someone's selling a used basic US version here in the Philippines for a decent price that I eventually plan to bring back with me to the US. If the console's already been registered with someone else's NNID, does that mean I can't use mine at all (from my 3DS)? Are there any problems this would cause? Also, since the Wii U has a 110V adapter, could I just buy a 220V adapter and use that with the same console?

The refurb deluxe Wii Us look like a better deal, but the lady who's offered to sell me hers is seemingly giving me a good deal, especially for here. I won't be back in the US for a few months, so a refurb isn't an option for me. $200 for a basic Wii U with digital Wind Waker, retail Arkham City disc, and Hori Screen protector, Hori Silicone protector and Hori Hard Pouch. Unused Club Nintendo code, too. The Deluxe US version Wii Us sell here for about $350 new with Nintendoland (or the NSMB2 bundle). The Zelda Wind Waker Bundle is about $380-390.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What's the trick to getting Wii mode to use the best resolution without anything going weird on the Wii U side. I remember reading there was something you have to do.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Wii mode should just output 480p scaled to whatever you set, like everything else on the Wii U. It just upscales everything to whatever your output resolution is.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Giant red SALE bars are my nemesis. "Resident Evil Revelations is $20 and was $50? I MUST BUY IT RIGHT NOW!"

13 gb download. Hope this poo poo is good!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Ultigonio posted:

I've been brainstorming for a new OP. I'd like to overhaul the organization for the "Games" section to make it more compact without the incredibly ugly empty space it leaves, but I'm at a bit of a loss of how to approach that without getting rid of the cover art entirely.

To follow up on this, yes I am actually starting to work on a new OP for a new Wii U discussion thread and will do that unless people think it's a huge waste of time. Figured I'd put that in bold so people don't miss it and we don't end up with something horrific like having multiple people posting new Wii U general discussion threads at the same time.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 16, 2014

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Ultigonio, include this in the OP or something:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Assuming there are no more announcements this week, this is the entire first second and third party Nintendo platform calendar for 2014:

Pushmo World - June 19th 2014
Shovel Knight - June 26th 2014
Wii Sports Club - July 25th 2014
One Piece Unlimited World - July 2014
Ace Attorney Vs Professor Layton - August 29th 2014

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Summer 2014
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition - Summer 2014
Armillo - Summer 2014
Nihilumbra - Summer 2014
Siesta Fiesta - Summer 2014
Tappingo - Summer 2014
Tengami - Summer 2014
Whoa Dave - Summer 2014
Wooden Sensey - Summer 2014

Hyrule Warriors - September 26th 2014
YuGiOh - September 2014

Smash Bros - October 2014
Bayonetta 2 - October 2014
Fantasy Life - October 2014
Pokemon Art Academy - October 2014
Pacman & the Ghostly Adventures - October 2014
Skylanders Trap Team - October 2014
Just Dance 5 - October 2014

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remake - November 2014
Sonic Boom - November 2014

Persona Q - Fall 2014
Lego Batman 3 - Fall 2014
Affordable Space Adventures - Fall 2014
Citizens of Earth - Fall 2014
Chariot - Fall 2014
Gunman Clive 2 - Fall 2014
6180 The Moon - Fall 2014
Just the Tip - Fall 2014
Pier Solar - Fall 2014
Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes - Fall 2014

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Q4 2014
Ace Attorney Trilogy - Q4 2014
Swords & Soldiers II - Q4 2014
Two Brothers Directors Cut - Q4 2014

Art Academy U - TBD 2014
Teslagrad - TBD 2014
Theatrhythm Curtain Call - TBD 2014

A.N.N.E. - TBD
Blast'Em Bunnies
Cubemen 2 - TBD

I'm expecting more titles to be announced for 2014 in Nintendo's more typical fashion (ie Dr. Luigi) as we get closer to those dates, since 3DS is a little lacking at the moment, but October is going to be a pretty huge month. I'm not sure if ANNE or Cubemen are actually 2014 titles, ANNE was a Kickstarted game I'm pretty sure, so who knows what the status of it is.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
October Smash Bros is for the 3DS version. Wii U is just a broad "Holiday 2014" release.

Other than that its pretty solid.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Quidnose posted:

Giant red SALE bars are my nemesis. "Resident Evil Revelations is $20 and was $50? I MUST BUY IT RIGHT NOW!"

13 gb download. Hope this poo poo is good!

It's the best Resident Evil by far in a very long time, I played the 3DS version. Definitely worth it for a $20 price tag.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Raserys posted:

Ultigonio, include this in the OP or something:
[big honkin' list]

I'll definitely include that. It's missing a handful of things (Art of Balance, due Q2 this year, FAST Racing NEO, due sometime this year), and I probably won't be able to get the OP done before Pushmo World and the other games releasing that date actually come out, but it'll be a great thing to start from. I'm gonna' try to make the Games section of the OP a lot more appealing to look at in general, the date-based organization should help out with that. I might differentiate "Upcoming" into 3 or so categories, something like "Major Upcoming Releases," which would be for titles garnering large amounts of buzz, "Around the Corner," for things that are a month or less away from release, and then just "General Upcoming," which would be like QFGII's list.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RMZXAnarchy posted:

October Smash Bros is for the 3DS version. Wii U is just a broad "Holiday 2014" release.

Other than that its pretty solid.

Holiday 2014 means rear end-end of December, generally.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I never figured out how to check who are the top posters per thread. Sometimes I see lists as a PNG image.

I'm bringing that up because, before Ultigonio offered to make a new thread, I was thinking we should request one of the thread veterans to make it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You just click on the Reply count in the forum listing. With how big this is and how it started out, I don't think it means much though. A lot of people on that list don't actually post in this thread anymore.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wii U Discussion - Yes, it's good now.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Wii U is just a broad "Holiday 2014" release.

Sure hope it doesn't cut into the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker sales too much. :ohdear:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I figured this would be the best place to ask, but are there any drawbacks to using a component to VGA adapter to play a Gamecube on an old monitor?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Elliotw2 posted:

Holiday 2014 means rear end-end of December, generally.

Actually for video game sales (and I would assume other sales) Holiday 2014 can begin as early as mid/late October and stretches through to Christmas/New Years. However in this instance I wouldn't hold my breath for a release prior to mid November. If they're legitimately still tweaking the game and polishing things they'd be coming up against a hard deadline for an October/Early Nov. ship date right around now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask, but are there any drawbacks to using a component to VGA adapter to play a Gamecube on an old monitor?

If you don't have a GameCube component cable, you're going to be paying through the nose to get one. Nintendo designed the GameCube so that the chip required for component output is on the cable itself instead of in the system, which wasn't very popular and discontinued fairly quickly. There are no third party component cables because of that chip either.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Use a Gamecube compatible Wii instead because the component out wasn't designed by an idiot.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wii U Discussion - There are games on it now!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ChaosArgate posted:

If you don't have a GameCube component cable, you're going to be paying through the nose to get one. Nintendo designed the GameCube so that the chip required for component output is on the cable itself instead of in the system, which wasn't very popular and discontinued fairly quickly. There are no third party component cables because of that chip either.

Well, I have all the cables needed for my Gamecube still, but I was thinking something like this (meant composite, I guess):

This way I can plug that into this, this into the PC and utilize the monitor as if it were a TV.

Elliotw2 posted:

Use a Gamecube compatible Wii instead because the component out wasn't designed by an idiot.

I wanted to use my Gamecube as opposed to my Wii since the Gamecube process is turning it on and then you're right in the game. There's no before or need to mess with menus. That and it's small.

--

I would explain my whole set up as far as this Gamecube would go, but it's kinda complicated. In short, I have an old monitor set up on a desk to the side of my living room across from my TV. My plan was to just utilize it as a TV when need be and then plop my Gamecube just on top of the tower. It's an old thing and I only use it occasionally, so I'd be maximizing its usage if this adapter would work.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
How's rear end Creed 4? I liked 2 okay enough and I hear 4 is prettygood. Is the wiiU the place to get it?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Austrian mook posted:

How's rear end Creed 4? I liked 2 okay enough and I hear 4 is prettygood. Is the wiiU the place to get it?

The Wii U version is fine if you're getting it on sale and you don't have another platform to play it on. It has minor framerate issues on the Wii U. It's not unplayable but it's noticeable enough to be annoying.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Well, I have all the cables needed for my Gamecube still, but I was thinking something like this (meant composite, I guess):

This way I can plug that into this, this into the PC and utilize the monitor as if it were a TV.

Any issues with that are going to be on the monitor side. If you're using an LCD monitor, for example, I'd expect it to puke when it gets a low res composite signal since a lot of them can be very particular about what they display.

Austrian mook posted:

I've only played the Wii U version, but word is that it's prettier than the 360 and PS3, not as pretty as the PS4 and Xbone. As for how it plays... I can only compare it to Assassin's Creed 1 since I hated that game so much I didn't pick up another one until I could get the Wii U version for less than $10. And I had fun with AC4 for quite a while until I finished doing all of the stuff not related to the actual story and then had to go do that. So fun as an open world sandbox, I'd expect that you'd get your money's worth out of it if you buy it cheap like I did, but being forced to slowly watch the awful "dramatic" story play out as game missions is boring as hell. I think I gave up on the final few missions but didn't care since I enjoy doing the pirate stuff a lot.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

If you have a decent computer, the steam summer sale is coming up very soon, so it might be pretty cheap there.

Whats the deal with Pushmo World? I just picked up Pushmo on 3DS and it seems pretty fun, is Pushmo World just a prettier version on Wii U, or new puzzles? Or is there some new features/mechanics?

• Locked thread