Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Pander posted:

WWZ is interesting. I love the book, and this movie is utterly unrelated. But the movie is still good, it's like bottled tension. Morally grey areas or international politics...not so much. Escape and stealth and actiony sequences? Yep!

and a completely hilarious shoe-horned in cola promo that, honest to god, have everyone in the theater busting a gut in an otherwise serious part

Yeah, I was really baffled by some of the hate that WWZ got. It's a great action-survival movie that just happens to be full of improbably bonkers plot twists. No, I don't care that it's nothing like the book or that it's rated PG13. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was just really bored and wound up turning it off halfway through. It's like the last few Roland Emmerich movies where there's a ton of bloodless CGI mayhem going on all the time but none of it is gripping or involving or meaningful in anyway so you're just stuck watching Brad Pitt sleepwalk between greenscreened action setpieces with zero reason to care.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Watched Kill Bill 1&2 last night and tonight. They were OK. Not anything special, except for the music. The soundtrack was amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

drunken officeparty posted:

Watched Kill Bill 1&2 last night and tonight. They were OK. Not anything special, except for the music. The soundtrack was amazing.
That was your first time seeing them? You didn't think there was anything cool about them except for the soundtrack? Really? I mean if that's really how you felt, then okay I guess, that's your opinion. I just don't think I've ever heard of someone being completely lukewarm about those movies.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Yeah, I was really baffled by some of the hate that WWZ got. It's a great action-survival movie that just happens to be full of improbably bonkers plot twists. No, I don't care that it's nothing like the book or that it's rated PG13. :colbert:

If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of people turned off by the sequence where Israel is destroyed because they treated Palestinians like human beings.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

No Pants posted:

I had the same reaction, and I don't think you have to be a SJW to feel that way. It's mostly that she wouldn't have done it if he had told her that it wouldn't change his mind.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to (Orange Is The New Black finale)consider it rape, but it is dishonest and sleazy, which is pretty funny when it comes right after the scene where Piper says she came to him because he's a good person. And then, shortly after, he threatens to transfer a pregnant woman to maximum security and ruin her life to keep her boyfriend from confessing to a crime he committed. I don't know if it was supposed to be one of those 'the job turns people bad' type deals or is just another example of the inconsistent characterization and poor writing that generally plague the show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That was your first time seeing them? You didn't think there was anything cool about them except for the soundtrack? Really? I mean if that's really how you felt, then okay I guess, that's your opinion. I just don't think I've ever heard of someone being completely lukewarm about those movies.

Kill Bill isn't terrible but it's definitely my least favorite Tarantino project by a clear margin.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I watched the first Kill Bill with some friends once. I kept falling asleep during due to lack of interest. Didn't bother trying again. It doesn't help that Uma Thurman is a celebrity that I do not find at all attractive. Except in the movie The Producers oddly.

Why yes I do have terrible opinions about things, why do you ask?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 15, 2014

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kill Bill isn't terrible but it's definitely my least favorite Tarantino project by a clear margin.

Yup! Granted, I haven't watched Jackie Brown since renting on VHS back in the day, but I feel like Kill Bill just hasn't aged that well compared to some of his other movies. I think it's good, I just like his other movies better.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about side projects and movies that he's credited on but didn't entirely direct like NBK, From Dusk Till Dawn or Deathproof.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yup! Granted, I haven't watched Jackie Brown since renting on VHS back in the day, but I feel like Kill Bill just hasn't aged that well compared to some of his other movies. I think it's good, I just like his other movies better.

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about side projects and movies that he's credited on but didn't entirely direct like NBK, From Dusk Till Dawn or Deathproof.

Personally I'd rate From Dusk Til Dawn and Death Proof higher than Kill Bill too. I see Kill Bill as something ultra-indulgent that Tarantino had to get out of his system, and I'm glad he did, but I'm not crazy about the movie. It definitely has its moments, but as a whole it's just too much for me. Taking four hours of Tarantino pitching himself way past 11 like that is just wearying.

Rewatch Jackie Brown, it's at least arguably the best thing Tarantino has ever done.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Kill Bill is a masterpiece

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just rewatched the Kill Bills recently and thought they were just as killer as ever :shobon: And I first saw them right after they came out in like '03 and '04 respectively.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Kill Bill vol 1 I thought was perfectly paced and ended quite nicely. Volume 2 had some pacing issues and some people might find the end disappointing but I thought it was good.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

ChickenMedium posted:

If I remember correctly, there were a bunch of people turned off by the sequence where Israel is destroyed because they treated Palestinians like human beings.

I honestly think they're reading too much into that scene. I just took it on its face: Israel thought itself to be invulnerable, but in its hubris didn't realize that the zombies could simply climb over their giant walls. And who's going to be just outside Israel and want in? Muslims, of course. It wouldn't make sense if there were, say, a bunch of Europeans or Chinese people or whoever trying to get in.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 15, 2014

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It was just Jerusalem, not all of Israel

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It doesn't help that Uma Thurman is a celebrity that I do not find at all attractive.

What about here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfwycQ5e1iY

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ok you win. Also I've seen tons of parodies of this scene in other places, but never saw this.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Kill Bill is kind of meh overall, but all the scenes with Carradine at the end of 2 were some of the worst scenes committed to film.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was just really bored and wound up turning it off halfway through. It's like the last few Roland Emmerich movies where there's a ton of bloodless CGI mayhem going on all the time but none of it is gripping or involving or meaningful in anyway so you're just stuck watching Brad Pitt sleepwalk between greenscreened action setpieces with zero reason to care.

Unrated version has more blood, slightly more detail in gory scenes. Pepsi logo appears to have been edited out as well during soda machine scene.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kill Bill is kind of meh overall, but all the scenes with Carradine at the end of 2 were some of the worst scenes committed to film.

I don't agree with this at all, but those scenes do annoy me because ever since the movie came out people have been parroting the "Clark Kent is the costume :smug:" thing without realizing that the whole point of that scene is that it's a reflection of how Bill sees himself as superior to normal people and he's wrong.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't agree with this at all, but those scenes do annoy me because ever since the movie came out people have been parroting the "Clark Kent is the costume :smug:" thing without realizing that the whole point of that scene is that it's a reflection of how Bill sees himself as superior to normal people and he's wrong.
I'm not sure Tarantino has ever made a film that hasn't been parroted by people missing the point.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ok you win. Also I've seen tons of parodies of this scene in other places, but never saw this.

not in streaming but check out "Henry and June" to see Uma frolic around with Pulp Fiction's "Blueberry Pancakes" girl as well as Remo Williams.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Look at this wrong opinion

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

it's the loving birth of venus you numpty

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know if it was supposed to be one of those 'the job turns people bad' type deals or is just another example of the inconsistent characterization and poor writing that generally plague the show.

It's exactly that, the juxtaposition is intentional to the point of humor in my opinion.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

I just rewatched the Kill Bills recently and thought they were just as killer as ever :shobon: And I first saw them right after they came out in like '03 and '04 respectively.

Edit: No, nothing was supposed to go here what the hell. Chrome being stupid.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know if I'd go so far as to (Orange Is The New Black finale)consider it rape, but it is dishonest and sleazy, which is pretty funny when it comes right after the scene where Piper says she came to him because he's a good person. And then, shortly after, he threatens to transfer a pregnant woman to maximum security and ruin her life to keep her boyfriend from confessing to a crime he committed. I don't know if it was supposed to be one of those 'the job turns people bad' type deals or is just another example of the inconsistent characterization and poor writing that generally plague the show.

Caputo has always been a scumbag. He is a scumbag that cares about his job but he is still a scumbag. The guy masturbates in his office after getting aroused by prisoners problems. He also fired Lauren Lapkus's character for not reciprocating his advances and dating another co-worker

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

computer parts posted:

Kill Bill vol 1 I thought was perfectly paced and ended quite nicely. Volume 2 had some pacing issues and some people might find the end disappointing but I thought it was good.

Vol. 2 stands out for the Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei, which remains immaculate.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
:siren: A Muppets Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island have been added :siren:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GonSmithe posted:

:siren: A Muppets Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island have been added :siren:

poo poo yes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Fayez Butts posted:

it's the loving birth of venus you numpty

I'm afraid my first thought was, Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before? Also I had to google the word numpty.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special is up on US Netflix. She does an hour long comedy special in her house and the audience is her mom and dad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

I was curious as to why, when they put up The Muppet Movie and Great Muppet Caper, they didn't go ahead and put up The Muppets Take Manhattan but of course that's already on there.

Conclusion- I need to take time for a marathon.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

mysterious frankie posted:

Maria Bamford: The Special Special Special is up on US Netflix. She does an hour long comedy special in her house and the audience is her mom and dad.

There's a comedy radio station in Denver that I listen to and she always confounds me. Her normal voice is so annoying and grating, but her "voices" are (or can be) so drat attractive to listen to. Maybe that's just her thing, having an annoying voice -- I mean there's a tradition of that, from Bob Goldthwait to Emo Phillips to Gilbert Godfried. But it's still annoying. She obviously can make her voice much more pleasant sounding, I wish she would just do a bit of that. Maybe not her full on WASPy rich-bitch voice all the time, but something a bit more pleasant than what she normally does.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ChickenMedium posted:

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I honestly think they're reading too much into that scene. I just took it on its face: Israel thought itself to be invulnerable, but in its hubris didn't realize that the zombies could simply climb over their giant walls. And who's going to be just outside Israel and want in? Muslims, of course. It wouldn't make sense if there were, say, a bunch of Europeans or Chinese people or whoever trying to get in.
This guy gets it. It's about hubris. We're invincible with our big wall! It's basically re-shot for Pacific Rim regarding Australia's "wall" against the monsters. I guess if you want you can tease out an anti-treating-Palestinians-like-people message, but I figured the Israel sequence pre-fall was the closest example of the movie following the book: Israel realizes poo poo is gonna get down, and invites anyone who doesn't actively want to kill them back into their quarantine zone. Of course, the book has this process go 'relatively' smoothly excepting a civil war whereas the movie has people singing bring death to Jerusalem in a rather "boy asking a city to shut the hell up seems like a pretty short-sighted plan" kind of way.

I liked Kill Bill 1 & 2 both quite a bit, 2 better than 1. They've aged alright, I'd hesitate to call them timeless classics, but they're still good watches. Kiddo escaping the coffin as Ennio Morricone's score swells is loving AMAZING and gently caress anyone who'd say otherwise. Much better than From Dusk Til Dawn at the very least, and more fun than Jackie Brown rather dour experience.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jackie Brown is still Tarantino's best film, and it's funny that you bring that up about WWZ because it almost seems like more of a stretch to assume that part's about hubris and the safety of walls.

Beauyaka
Aug 16, 2005
!i!i!

regulargonzalez posted:

There's a comedy radio station in Denver that I listen to and she always confounds me. Her normal voice is so annoying and grating, but her "voices" are (or can be) so drat attractive to listen to. Maybe that's just her thing, having an annoying voice -- I mean there's a tradition of that, from Bob Goldthwait to Emo Phillips to Gilbert Godfried. But it's still annoying. She obviously can make her voice much more pleasant sounding, I wish she would just do a bit of that. Maybe not her full on WASPy rich-bitch voice all the time, but something a bit more pleasant than what she normally does.

Since I learned that she is legit mentally unstable, I have kinda given her a pass on her voice. She talks about it in one of her Nerdist interviews. I, too, find it strange that her 'normal' affect is so odd, but then it makes her character voices even funnier.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jackie Brown is still Tarantino's best film, and it's funny that you bring that up about WWZ because it almost seems like more of a stretch to assume that part's about hubris and the safety of walls.

Possibly. I just didn't see a political statement being made, just an excuse for a chase scene.

And I recognize Jackie Brown is a very good film, I just didn't have much fun with it. Pulp Fiction's characters were scumbags by and large, but they were likable scumbags. None of Jackie Brown's scumbags were at all likable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I didn't find Jackie Brown dour, it was downbeat but was a really interesting, subtle look at aging. Definitely my favourite Tarantino, and his least Tarantino-y.

And Michael Keaton steals every scene he is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Also I don't remember seeing it mentioned, but Death Note anime is up now. It's one of those "good even for people who don't like anime" type shows like Cowboy Bebop.

• Locked thread