Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

peanut- posted:

Why do the people that write these articles always think eliminating the offside rule would increase the amount of attacking play?

More importantly, why do they keep thinking "Americans not liking soccer" is a bug not a feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

stickyfngrdboy posted:

people who'd never watched a game before yesterday were doing exactly this in the opening MDT.

lol link i didn't read it

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

DickEmery posted:

More importantly, why do they keep thinking "Americans not liking soccer" is a bug not a feature.

It's an American news source. During the world cup, every single American news organization is required by law to produce at least one braindead article about how to "improve" soccer and it has to be written by somebody who hasn't actually ever seen a single game.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skinty McEdger posted:

Because Ice Hockey keeps loving around with their offside rules to promote attacking play. And obviously the two are kind of the same.

So similar that for a few years EA used the same engine for its Fifa and NHL games iirc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

JFairfax posted:

So similar that for a few years EA used the same engine for its Fifa and NHL games iirc.

EA uses the same engine for all their sports games.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Skinty McEdger posted:

That has to be a loving parody right?

Yes lets change the entire rules of the game because Americans don't like them.

that's been the basis of like 50% of new posters' thoughts during the 2006 and 2010 world cups

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Monday Bandele posted:

Why America Doesn’t Like Soccer And How That Can Be Changed

http://time.com/2864483/world-cup-2014-soccer-brazil-america/

This is the year 2014

These sorts of articles will never stop fyi, there will be a torrent of them every 4 years ten centuries from now

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Skinty McEdger posted:

That has to be a loving parody right?

Yes lets change the entire rules of the game because Americans don't like them.

I'm crying so loving hard with laughter

we already did the corner tiebreaker. That was the original way to seperate draws, when football was born and everyone played in jumpers and suit troisers and smoked pipes and played games in between working at t'pit.

And it was loving stupid.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What if the corners are tied? Then what? Who has the most throw-ins?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One of the weirdest things that American pundits do is claim that draws are a bad thing, like, if two teams play equally well, it's a bad thing for them to draw, and one of them should be forced to be declared a winner.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

jyrka posted:

What if the corners are tied? Then what? Who has the most throw-ins?
Number of corners is actually something that was used as a tie-breaker in the Scottish cup back in the early 1900s. It's a failed experiment.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

One of the weirdest things that American pundits do is claim that draws are a bad thing, like, if two teams play equally well, it's a bad thing for them to draw, and one of them should be forced to be declared a winner.

It's so American.

American sports don't have draws because it blows their loving minds that you can play a full match and not have a winner. They don't understand the concept of sharing.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
NFL technically can have draws during regular season play but the way it's set up makes them super rare and I only even know this because every so often it happens and sports pundits have a funny meltdown about it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Americans are so unused to the concept of draws that when MLS was first created they invented new ways of breaking ties at the end of matches so that they could have a league that emulated other North American sports instead of a league that emulated all the world's other football leagues. It was poo poo and they changed it to the proper way.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DickEmery posted:

What World Cup still holds the highest live attendance records?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
My favorite suggestion is having 3 referees on the side judging every 15 minutes like in boxing.

Because what football needs to be successful is the worst part of boxing :psyduck:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Lol at everyone ITT getting trolled by blatant satire

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Do japan not do a thing like penalty kicks after a draw in league games? I remember buying a pirate copy of winning eleven/pro evo back in the day and it had The Japanese league in it and all draws went to a shootout.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

Do japan not do a thing like penalty kicks after a draw in league games? I remember buying a pirate copy of winning eleven/pro evo back in the day and it had The Japanese league in it and all draws went to a shootout.

It's your tactics mate.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

gfanikf posted:

What World Cup still holds the highest live attendance records?

The one before all-seater stadiums became mandatory?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

quote:

I have to wonder... if the refs are bribed, wouldn't they be bribed in favor of the US more than anyone? I mean we've got a huge economy with a massive potential to expand soccer... you'd think FIFA would do their best to help the US win. It's not like soccer can go much more popular in Brazil or Spain than it is already.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

area man in denial over death of tiki-taka

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Oh my god.

quote:

There is, on the face of things, obvious merit to this view – and yet it is a merit that is almost too obvious. It is very easy to critique a side and write their epitaph after a 5-1 defeat or a 7-0 defeat; this does not require insight, only an ability to look at a scoreline and jump on a strident bandwagon.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

quote:

Yet tiki-taka made football beautiful, and for that reason I feel that, if it is to wither and wane and be buried under Dutch, Chilean, and Brazilian avalanches, it is important to recognise what it really is, not to defame a ‘straw man’ tiki-taka.

quote:

I have not focused on Holland much in this post. This is because their excellencies were numerous and obvious, and therefore require nothing but brief praise and the comment that I look forward to seeing more of them, should they maintain their freedom and form. Yet they are a common side: a side that has excellent attacking players and wants to play with pace and directness. They are generic in their excellence, predictable in their talents; they are enjoyable because their style is recognisable and capricious.

jesus

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

quote:

I have not focused on Holland much in this post. This is because their excellencies were numerous and obvious, and therefore require nothing but brief praise and the comment that I look forward to seeing more of them, should they maintain their freedom and form. Yet they are a common side: a side that has excellent attacking players and wants to play with pace and directness. They are generic in their excellence, predictable in their talents; they are enjoyable because their style is recognisable and capricious.

B-B-But Holland are so noisy in their silence, they are slender in their corpulence, I am moronic in my perspicaciousness.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Tiki-taka works, so when it doesn't, it isn't tiki-taka.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Puseklepp posted:

Tiki-taka works, so when it doesn't, it isn't tiki-taka.

No True Spaniard

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bogan Krkic posted:

TRP is literally the best source for tactical analysis and news on the internet.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

mods rename me tiki-taka yum yum

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

oh wait I'm a World Cup mod, I'll change it myself.

thanks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Don't link El Hefe's blog in this thread, it's not nice.

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

quote:

Soccer is like watching a bunch of Sisyphuses competing against each other by trying to roll the same rock up a hill—without using their hands, of course. And there’s a big guy on top of the hill just waiting to kick the rock all the way back to the bottom. Let’s remember that in the original myth, Sisyphus was being punished; there was no break in the action, and no flopping either.

To the American mind, the only time games are supposed to be tragic are when we lose in a sport we love in the international arena. A real sport, like hockey. Otherwise, Americans should be able to make progress in any game, overcoming obstacles, changing rules, buying the best players. That has not happened in soccer because the design of that game has old-world values written all over it: Individuals should not try to stand out from the crowds, one group should not have too many advantages over another, drawing attention to yourself is distasteful, and so on. The tools of your trade shouldn’t be too splashy, either—why use your hands when your feet will do?

Although Americans love games that highlight individual performances—and the more the better—soccer seems designed to minimize their frequency. How many times during a baseball, (real) football or basketball game does someone do something that is utterly transcendent in its expression of skill and strength? Many times. Such moments of beauty are the main reason we find sports so attractive.

In soccer, however, these performances are more like an accident than a natural part of the so-called beautiful game. Fans keep their expectations so low that they are actually surprised, really surprised, when someone kicks the ball in an inhumanly perfect manner. And if the perfect kick does not go in the goal, well, that’s not surprising at all. Soccer thus appeals to the pessimist, the person who wagers that it is better to avoid disappointment than to demand too much joy. In other words, foreigners.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is a parody.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Monday Bandele posted:

Why America Doesn’t Like Soccer And How That Can Be Changed

http://time.com/2864483/world-cup-2014-soccer-brazil-america/

"Mandelbaum also offers a proposal to make the game more popular in the United States. He’d alter the rules to favor the offense, eliminating the offside rule, which forbids players from passing to teammates standing behind enemy lines. Alternatively, he’d use the number of corner kicks awarded to each team as a way to break ties, a method that would reward aggressive play. “For this to happen in the US, however, the rest of the world would have to do the same, which it won’t,” he says.

The close-mindedness of the sport’s establishment shouldn’t stand in the way of a good idea. And so, in that spirit, here’s a modest proposal: soccer should take its cue from boxing and install three field-side judges to secretly score every 15-minute interval. Goals would be like knock-outs. Points would only come into play in the case of a tie."

This is the year 2014

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

wrong thread

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

quote:

I love watching the World Cup. Such an amazing tournament that brings about all of the pride anyone could muster for their own country. It's so coo to see how sports bring people(s) together and the World Cup does that better than just about any other sporting tournament.
HOWEVER, there is a thing about soccer that I will never understand. How could any professional athlete still carry an ounce of pride after falling down and (at least appear to) writhe in excruciating pain after getting "bumped" at most? I'll openly admit, I only watch soccer during the World Cup, so maybe there is something that I don't understand since I don't watch it very much; but I do love to watch just about every sport- including soccer. I really don't understand some of these guys. the expressions on their faces, rolling around on the ground, the grabbing of their feet, ankles, legs, etc, the pleading with the refs...you would think that these guys just got shot.
While watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, I saw guys literally fight each other, slam each other into the boards, play through ridiculous injuries, etc. It makes watching soccer look like I'm watching a soap opera, or it just reminds me of that punk kid who would call every foul during a pickup basketball game.
These soccer players are incredible athletes. Their skill is breathtaking and the drama (no pun intended) the World Cup creates just might be superior to any other tournament. But I'm sorry I'm not sorry that I think these guys go from megastars to whiny little punks when they roll around on the ground after getting breathed on. Go USA.

Guy is a massive NBA fan as well, saying this without a hint of irony.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The BBC commentary on that goal was just embarassing, goddamn. This was clearly why we needed goal line tech and it worked perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Old people are dumb.