Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Protip: If you're loving around with a brake booster off a 4th-gen F-body and manage to dislodge the washer and rubber pad that go between the external and internal pushrods, you can fish them out of the booster with a wire hanger and some sticky-tack. Note: be sure to pull out the vacuum fitting grommet so you can see what the gently caress you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Protip: If you're loving around with a brake booster off a 4th-gen F-body and manage to dislodge the washer and rubber pad that go between the external and internal pushrods, you can fish them out of the booster with a wire hanger and some sticky-tack. Note: be sure to pull out the vacuum fitting grommet so you can see what the gently caress you're doing.

Hope your typing this with a beer in your hand. Sounds like you have had yourself quite a completely peaceful, cuss-free Saturday afternoon.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Has anyone been to the Marconi or Petersen [car] museums? I have time to see one and am trying to decide which.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Preoptopus posted:

Hope your typing this with a beer in your hand. Sounds like you have had yourself quite a completely peaceful, cuss-free Saturday afternoon.

Friday evening, but yeah. There was a serious "did that really just loving happen?" moment.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

meatpimp posted:

:thejoke:

In Juke news: Going to meet the owner next Saturday. If it's in the condition she says, I'll buy it. Hopefully the electric steering won't be an issue. :ohdear:

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the car as I'll admit I like the :downs: look of the Juke and am kind of trying to sell my wife on one for her next car.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I just spent my night drinking and playing cribbage with most of my friends. It could have kept going late, but everybody had to get home to the wife and kids. So I got to go to the bar alone and make even more poor decisions!

I am the odd man out, but it feels fuckin good being single with no kids. I have a real niece and nephew which is awesome. Plus I get to be an even more terrible influence on my friends kids.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Das Volk posted:

is anyone watching the 24 hours of le mans?

Of course. I have been unsuccessful in finding a bar/pub to watch it in though which is disappointing. I did talk the hotel manager into running it on the projector for a few hours, something to be said for little mom-n-pop hotels.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blk posted:

Has anyone been to the Marconi or Petersen [car] museums? I have time to see one and am trying to decide which.

Petersen. Call ahead and get a spot on the Vault tour. The Vault is really the attraction, is by tour only, and the tours fill up fast, so you need to call ahead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the car as I'll admit I like the :downs: look of the Juke and am kind of trying to sell my wife on one for her next car.

I think you've had enough.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got another recall notice for the Ion. :argh: This time for the power steering though... which was recalled years ago on every other Delta platform car.

And....

I can do laundry again. :neckbeard: Took about 20 minutes start to finish, including pulling it away from the wall (and pushing it back). This is why I prefer the big appliances to be free of electronics; the mfg date is 1997 on this thing, and this is the first repair it's needed.

The $150 for a new timer stings a bit, though they got it here in 1 day with the cheapest shipping option. I'm impressed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

Yep. Only 50k miles on my car. :smith:

No warranty for that?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Friday evening, but yeah. There was a serious "did that really just loving happen?" moment.

Our shop has all in ground lifts. Lice ridden by gaps that lead into the abyss containing paleolithic quantities of the unspeakable. Pro tip: Dont drop anything or you will, as i have, enjoyed a plenty of such moments. Im best friends with the guys at Fastenal now.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I loving hate loosing small items down large engine bays. My method is extraction is a Hoover with a stocking stuck on the end. Obviously no good for heavy things but washers and poo poo works great.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of our rival companies got in serious trouble over using not-to-spec packaging for parts. At point of use, a cardboard box split, and a couple of hundred small bolts got dropped into a turbine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Goddamit, I tried drinking myself to sleep so i could be awake for Father's day tomorrow. It didn't work and now I'm wide awake and restless.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I tried a bit of Appleton's to steady my hands so I could solder the Deans connectors onto the motor controller of my Traxxas and ended up Karaoke-ing Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. By myself. In a biker bar. With proper falsetto on the female parts.
I'm pretty sure I won't be drinking rum for a while.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

One of our rival companies got in serious trouble over using not-to-spec packaging for parts. At point of use, a cardboard box split, and a couple of hundred small bolts got dropped into a turbine.
Ah ouch. Every couple years out finance people bug our logistics people enough to make them look stupid. Usually it's them bitching about how much it costs to ship out equipment since we only use one company (within the US). So toss a cabinet on a budget shipping service then laugh when the thing shows up destroyed. Last time they did enough damage the cabinet was scrapped as were half the components inside.

Tommychu posted:

I tried a bit of Appleton's to steady my hands so I could solder the Deans connectors onto the motor controller of my Traxxas and ended up Karaoke-ing Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. By myself. In a biker bar. With proper falsetto on the female parts.
I'm pretty sure I won't be drinking rum for a while.
Sounds like a good night to me.

drat German mass transit is pretty awesome, I'm going to have to start using it to explore the country a bit. Hopped on the S-Bahn, arrived at the airport 20 minutes later and picked up my rental car...Opel Corsa 1.4. It is slow, handles like poo poo, isn't very comfortable and will likely be terrifying at 100+ mph but it's my POS for the next few weeks. I think the last week while Dad is here I'm going to swap it for at least a VW Scirocco but thinking maybe a BMW M5/3.

Time to find lunch then settle in for the last hour or so of the LeMans race.

Happy Motherfucker day!

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 15, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

By all accounts, I've been up long enough that I should be wavering, but this race is too exciting to stop watching!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I dropped a foot long piece of threaded rod while measuring to make a valve spring compressor last week.

It fell directly down a lifter opening in a head, then directly into an oil drain hole between lifters. 16 inches down inside the motor. With about 1.5" sticking out of the oil drain hole still.

I don't think I could have hit that if I tried. All I am saying is that flexy magnetic pickup tools own bones. Got it back out in one try.

Thelonious posted:

I just spent my night drinking and playing cribbage with most of my friends. It could have kept going late, but everybody had to get home to the wife and kids. So I got to go to the bar alone and make even more poor decisions!

I am the odd man out, but it feels fuckin good being single with no kids. I have a real niece and nephew which is awesome. Plus I get to be an even more terrible influence on my friends kids.

I am dreaming up war crimes to commit when my brother has kids... he drove me insane as a kid, though we are on great terms now.

First: noise making toys. With batteries hidden inside them and the case superglued shut, so they still work when you take the battery out :haw:

Second: recorders. This might be just a little too mean... maybe a drum set instead. :ninja:

Of course this means I am hosed if I ever have any myself, but that is looking pretty unlikely right now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Guys anyone have info on how the Fiat 500 compared to the Mini? Not talking the new heavy ones, I'm talking the old tiny ones. See my post in the awesome AI thread but saw and talked to a guy with a semi race prep Fiat 500 and now I want one...badly.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sounds like a good night to me.

Oh gently caress yeah. It was a blast. It's just that the BAC that was involved in getting my goony rear end that far out of my comfort zone was pretty high, and I thought I'd be feeling a lot worse right now than I do- especially since I was mixing with Dr. Pepper. Yeah I know it's probably all in my head and liquor as a social crutch is more of a placebo effect thing than anything, but whatever it's a step in the right direction that happened to coincide with a binge drinking session.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I dropped a foot long piece of threaded rod while measuring to make a valve spring compressor last week.

It fell directly down a lifter opening in a head, then directly into an oil drain hole between lifters. 16 inches down inside the motor. With about 1.5" sticking out of the oil drain hole still.

I don't think I could have hit that if I tried. All I am saying is that flexy magnetic pickup tools own bones. Got it back out in one try.

I downloaded one of those sleep apps that measure how much you trash about, and when, and the draw you a nice little graph of how you've slept. For the smartphone to do this, the phone needs to be on the bed next to you. At four AM I gave it a push in my sleep, and it fell behind my bed, and got stuck between the bed frame and the wall. When I pulled out the bed a bit to make it drop all the way to the floor, it slid down parallel to the wall and into the perfectly iPhone 5 sized hole where that particular floorboard didn't quite meet the wall. (I had removed the panel in order to get the bed flush with the wall.)

So there I was, at four AM, naked, sleepy, with my phone UNDER my hardwood floor. I ended up having to cut out a piece of the floorboard and used my three pronged magnetic gripper to get it back out.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

CharlesM posted:

No warranty for that?

The dealership offers a lifetime power train warranty with all new cars so I think I'll be okay. :unsmith:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

goatse guy posted:

The dealership offers a lifetime power train warranty with all new cars so I think I'll be okay. :unsmith:

Lifetime? I assume that's an employee perk? That's awesome.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The free internet streams of Le Mans are great. Despite the woefully predictable ending it was a great race and cool to see the Porsches participate, although they were slightly off the pace.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Das Volk posted:

The free internet streams of Le Mans are great. Despite the woefully predictable ending it was a great race and cool to see the Porsches participate, although they were slightly off the pace.

Yea I found the Audi in car and it was awesome. It was cool that the Yota held the lead for so long along with the Porsche up near the lead. I missed the drat end by 15 minutes this morning, so mad about that.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Back from International Falls. Came in about 2 am this morning. Pulled the cartop off and washed off roughly 10,000 friends we picked up along the way. Now it's time for the TDI's first oil change.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Lifetime? I assume that's an employee perk? That's awesome.

Not an employee perk -- it's offered with all new cars that Morrie's dealerships sell in Minnesota. They've got a lot of really good perks for buying new from them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

Not an employee perk -- it's offered with all new cars that Morrie's dealerships sell in Minnesota. They've got a lot of really good perks for buying new from them.

That is pretty awesome.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The forums are breaking down :kheldragar:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

blk posted:

nm posted:

Petersen. Call ahead and get a spot on the Vault tour. The Vault is really the attraction, is by tour only, and the tours fill up fast, so you need to call ahead.

I've been to Petersen, but still haven't been on the Vault tour, which as I understand it really expands on the regular Petersen in very good ways.

Don't forget that you also live very close to the LeMay in Tacoma which is worth checking out. My advice is to not spend too much time on the top level though and consider hitting the ramps faster as that's where they have a lot of what I'd argue are the coolest pieces in the collection (early electric cars, pininfarina cars, coachbuilt stuff, etc).

Rhyno posted:

I think you've had enough.

AI acts like the Juke is the inbred offspring of the Aztec and the PT Cruiser, but I'd argue it's got the face of newer Mazdas (especially the 2), but on some really good coke. My only criticism is that you can't get AWD and a manual transmission together, but still, for what is essentially a mom mobile it's way more interesting looking than 90% of the boring small and midsize SUVs out there. :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I don't really care about the juke (eh, looks like a small version of the murano, surely nothing to hate there!) but the Kia Soul is still awful and I don't care who says otherwise.

It looks like a cross between a stormtrooper helmet and the rear end end view of one of those caterpillars with the eyespots to scare off predators.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF8jd3MrMmY

Been using this at work all last week and probably this week too. But with 18" long 3/4", 1", 1 1/4", 2" and 4" dry-core bits to cut holes in the filled cinder-block walls. Thank god for face-masks and earplugs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holy poo poo that drill doesn't gently caress around.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mat_Drinks posted:

I've been to Petersen, but still haven't been on the Vault tour, which as I understand it really expands on the regular Petersen in very good ways.

The vault makes the main Petersen seem boring and content free. It is amazing.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

For $3k it better not. It as a hookup for water too. I got a mean blister on my trigger finger from the vibrations. I just got certified to use all the Hilti gun powder nail guns too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I shouldn't be surprised that some people unironically like the Juke, but on the other hand I like my Saturn so shine on, you crazy diamonds

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 16, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just heard that there is going to be a Grim Fandango remake. That is awesome! I love that game, especially the music. I don't have a PlayStation though :cry:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mat_Drinks posted:

AI acts like the Juke is the inbred offspring of the Aztec and the PT Cruiser, but I'd argue it's got the face of newer Mazdas (especially the 2), but on some really good coke. My only criticism is that you can't get AWD and a manual transmission together, but still, for what is essentially a mom mobile it's way more interesting looking than 90% of the boring small and midsize SUVs out there. :colbert:
It is a pointless, chubby, pretend 4x4 that doesn't do anything particularly well, and is ugly as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

I don't really care about the juke (eh, looks like a small version of the murano, surely nothing to hate there!) but the Kia Soul is still awful and I don't care who says otherwise.

It looks like a cross between a stormtrooper helmet and the rear end end view of one of those caterpillars with the eyespots to scare off predators.

The juke is stupid and half-assed and pointless because a supermini SUV makes no sense whatsoever. The soul on the other hand is an extremely practical and useful car. It has huge internal volume while being relatively compact and boxy on the outside, a gigantic potential cargo area and mechanical underpinnings that are based on a completely ordinary hatchback instead of some bastard-child softroader AWD bullshit vehicle.

• Locked thread