Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
How are you managing them? iOS 7 can prevent cellular data access by app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Yes, you rear end in a top hat, it would have been helpful to know that you have been using two separate installations of Quickbooks, one 2013 and one 2004, and it would have been helpful to know that you had a falling-out with your QQube consultant to the pointhe refuses to even talk to me about your company, and maybe you could have told me that you already knew the version of PrintBoss you have does not work with Windows 8.1 64 bit before instructing us to purchase ten new desktopsfor you.

Oh holy poo poo this has been a bad week for client deployments. Projects cut in half on the fly, billing disputes for work done requested by the disputer, and dogs chewing on my god drat shoes. MY SHOES.

EDIT: You're a dog, they don't even fit.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Roargasm posted:

How are you managing them? iOS 7 can prevent cellular data access by app

MobileIron. I hate iPads with every fiber of my being, hopefully I can convince the CIO to just go to Yoga type tablets or something. Windows 8 would be so much easier to manage.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

MobileIron. I hate iPads with every fiber of my being, hopefully I can convince the CIO to just go to Yoga type tablets or something. Windows 8 would be so much easier to manage.

Honestly I think the time that IT dictated equipment choice is behind us so better get used to it

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
It pains me to say this being a known Apple hater, but because their stuff is so locked down, it's a hell of a lot easier to support.

Also YOTJ! The MSP I worked for decided to kick me to the curb last month because a client ( batshit crazy old lady beancounter ) complained that I opened her desk drawer. I did open said desk drawer to grab a pen to write down an error message, however the state department of labor agreed with my insistence that it should not be grounds for immediate termination.

I just finished my first week as a network admin for the parent company of about 100 television stations all over the US, and got a 5 digit raise to boot! :woop:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Some goon replaced a coworker's SATA cables with not-working ones so that he'd waste the entire day trying to diagnose the problem because of some entirely minor slight said coworker had committed earlier.

The thread rightfully shat on the goon.

He also said something to the effect of "and the guy didn't get any tickets done that day!" too.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A text came in:

Lost it at "trilobite". Was able to determine she was out of hard drive space and aimed her at wal-mart to grab a random 1tb external drive to fill with whatever bullshit she manages to accumulate.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Some goon replaced a coworker's SATA cables with not-working ones so that he'd waste the entire day trying to diagnose the problem because of some entirely minor slight said coworker had committed earlier.

I'm still trying to figure out what this is an acceptable punishment for...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Westie posted:

It'd be an appropriate punishment for sabotaging a coworker's equipment as a prank.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Once long ago back when I worked the Apple support line, I thought it would be hilarious to install a couple of joke extensions on my friend's MacOS 7.5 system. One made his screen quake every few hours for a few moments, the other would make his mouse move slightly off of true. He and I were the help desk for the other techs in the building, and I figured he'd figure it out no problem.

That evening, he told me how he'd had to format his drive due to a virus.

:sigh:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
A less destructive prank:

psexec \\victim_pc taskkill /f /im svchost.exe

Behaved just like the old msblast worm, and forces a reboot. If they're smart they can do a shutdown /a to stop it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I feel that psexec is one of those things that should not be installed unless you absolutely need it, just for reasons like that.

It's absurdly powerful and has no real checks to stop you from doing something stupid.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel that psexec is one of those things that should not be installed unless you absolutely need it, just for reasons like that.

It's absurdly powerful and has no real checks to stop you from doing something stupid.

Well, no, the permissions model is there to prevent people from doing stupid poo poo, if you're using it and can do damage you best be careful. There are a ton of tools that could do the same, you wouldn't say never get a nail gun because you could nail yourself in the eye. I mean you could nail yourself in the eye but why the gently caress would you?

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

deimos posted:

but why the gently caress would you?

Chicks dig eye patches.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Westie posted:

Being so terrible that it'd take you longer than 30 minutes to diagnose a failed cable?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

peak debt posted:

Being so terrible that it'd take you longer than 30 minutes to diagnose a failed cable?

I'm sure we'd all like to think we'd figure that out in 30 minutes, but really, who would expect multiple known-good SATA cables in their machine to all magically fail at the same time, outside of sabotage? I'd be looking at the hard drives and motherboard and hell our shop doesn't even have extra SATA cables lying around because I've never had one fail in my life.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

peak debt posted:

My favorite bad sata cable I replaced was easy to spot. In the drive list at boot there was a ?itachi? disk.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Zero VGS posted:

I'm sure we'd all like to think we'd figure that out in 30 minutes, but really, who would expect multiple known-good SATA cables in their machine to all magically fail at the same time, outside of sabotage? I'd be looking at the hard drives and motherboard and hell our shop doesn't even have extra SATA cables lying around because I've never had one fail in my life.

This.

I've had disks die on me, motherboards being all stupid and poo poo but I've always considered a SATA cable to be pretty much indestructable.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Did a goon pull out someone's SATA connection or something? That's the third time I've heard that referenced.

From the last page, but this is the post where the SATA cables were replaced.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like a parallel port cable. I've never in my life had one fail.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have had a failed sata cable so yeah. But I would not expect multiple to fail simultaneously

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I have had bad Sata cables, but never had one go bad in a working machine. Only newly installed ones. I have had hard drives and motherboards fail seemingly spontaneously so that is what I would assume at first.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

deimos posted:

Well, no, the permissions model is there to prevent people from doing stupid poo poo, if you're using it and can do damage you best be careful. There are a ton of tools that could do the same, you wouldn't say never get a nail gun because you could nail yourself in the eye. I mean you could nail yourself in the eye but why the gently caress would you?

A few days ago I was showing someone our public DNS records and was clicking around and not paying due attention and them whoops, there goes our web forward breaking the public web address for the entire company. A few panicked phone calls later to the hosting company and I got it fixed.

Sometimes too much power is a terrible burden. Luckily I am not generally stupid, just on Monday mornings. :smith:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Today is the official first day with quicksand's company. I'm at the airport now waiting to fly out. Should be a fun week.

Edit: waiting at the gate is hilarious. The look on peoples faces looking at me thinking "oh god, I hope I'm not next to the fat guy"

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 16, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I've had one SATA cable fail, pretty sure it had a broken wire as it would sometimes function depenind on how it was positioned.

I've also got one that's prefectly fine, except the plastic housing on one end is broken in half and falls off.

Both of them were godawful cheapo things, I think I got them for free from other people at LAN parties.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the midst of a crazy Monday morning (still trying to catch up from my travel last week) the office manager asked me to help her with... a cart. She bought a cart and her temp did a lovely job assembling it. The cart was all crooked and wobbly. So I took time out from my actual work to take the cart down to the loading dock and beat on it with a rubber mallet for a while until it was sorted out.

It was not as satisfying as I'd hoped for.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

In the midst of a crazy Monday morning (still trying to catch up from my travel last week) the office manager asked me to help her with... a cart. She bought a cart and her temp did a lovely job assembling it. The cart was all crooked and wobbly. So I took time out from my actual work to take the cart down to the loading dock and beat on it with a rubber mallet for a while until it was sorted out.

It was not as satisfying as I'd hoped for.

Obviously you needed a bigger hammer.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So you "reassembled her cart with a rubber mallet", huh. I didn't know people used that as a euphemism for sex. :smugdog:

^ or a stunt cock.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

RE: A ticket came in... beat on it with a rubber mallet

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I should have saved that mallet for the 1.5 hours I spent trying to get someone's DirectTV working.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

We've literally fixed 3 iPad 2s by striking them with a rubber mallet.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Percussive maintenance is a time-honored art.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Its called "persuading".

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I spent an hour futzing with serial parameters because I put the serial/network interface on the wrong subnet and brought down a production CNC environment. It's me, I'm bad with computers. :negative:

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

A call came in at 6:30am yesterday. Remote site has a dead UPS. I call through and talk to the site manager, no lights on unit is completely dead. He's plugged all the gear into a powerboard to get the site up and running. I'm not happy about this but can't offer any better result as the nearest spare UPS is probably 2 hours drive away.

I head out to site to check the UPS and see if there is anything I can do. Someone has kicked in the front panel of the unit and none of the buttons work. The site manager comes into the server room and says:

"I have a confession"
"It looks like someone's put the boot in to this UPS"
"Yeah I got a little frustrated, but only did that after it lost power entirely".

I ended up taking a couple of photos and sending them up the food chain. Found out later that this guy also didn't like the phone the company issued him (a voice only Nokia) and smashed it up, stomped on it and stabbed it with a pen.

He's currently the company's rockstar, responsible for our main source of income, so no idea if anything will happen to the guy.

*Edit*
Forgot to mention he was super pissy when he called my manager at 5:30am because the help desk phone line was unattended. Never mind we're a 9-5 operation and he's the only special snowflake who gets in that early.

Loten fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 17, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Javid posted:

I've always been a fan of mechanical agitation.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Best way to remove stuck zip disks on the drive, slap in the back.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
A critical ticket came in an hour before we opened...
"We need a domain admin amount for this software vendor we're working with. Please do this in the next 5 minutes."

First, gently caress you 5 minutes at 8am, this project didn't magically start today without warning. Second, we'll deal with this within our SLA which starts at 9. Third, they don't need domain admin stop requesting that we give that out to what is now the fifth software company that's requested it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A critical ticket came in an hour before we opened...
"We need a domain admin amount for this software vendor we're working with. Please do this in the next 5 minutes."

First, gently caress you 5 minutes at 8am, this project didn't magically start today without warning. Second, we'll deal with this within our SLA which starts at 9. Third, they don't need domain admin stop requesting that we give that out to what is now the fifth software company that's requested it.

But the payroll software ties into active directory. You need to give them domain admin so they can extend the schema! Why do you hate progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Javid posted:

I haven't seen drive with sticktion for almost a decade now. Our CFO was, of course, doing the year end close on his laptop. Very hairy spreadsheet. And the only copy was on it. The drive got flaky, then it wouldn't boot. Based on his description of the noise it was making, I told him to turn it off, close the lid, pick it up an inch and drop it square on the table. He put his his wife on the phone not fancying having to explain that. It worked, it booted up for long enough to get the spreadsheet onto an external drive.

• Locked thread