Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korwin
Jan 24, 2011
My heir imprissioned me, how is that possible?
I'm above him in the hierachy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Welp, just lost my finished game and EU4 game in a formatting mishap and my only cloud saves are from about 12 years into my CK2 game. That's about 240 hours lost there.

I guess that gives me a good reason to buy the rest of the DLC and play it all over again "the correct way"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Korwin posted:

My heir imprissioned me, how is that possible?
I'm above him in the hierachy!

Doesn't mean squat if you committed a crime. I once got locked up twice by my son for loving his wife.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Quick question. I lucked into the kingdom of Italy as the king of Germany. I now have the option to form the Holy Roman Empire but the tooltip says that the kingdom of Italy would be forfeit. Does that simply mean that I form the HRE with my German holdings and Italy goes to someone else?

I'm playing ironman so I can't really try anything out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

Quick question. I lucked into the kingdom of Italy as the king of Germany. I now have the option to form the Holy Roman Empire but the tooltip says that the kingdom of Italy would be forfeit. Does that simply mean that I form the HRE with my German holdings and Italy goes to someone else?

I'm playing ironman so I can't really try anything out.

I'm not 100% sure so you shouldn't base your decision on what I say, but I believe it means that the Kingdom of Italy title will be destroyed, while all Italian lands that you or your vassals currently hold will be part of your new empire. But they will continue to be de jure part of the Empire of Italia.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Doesn't mean squat if you committed a crime. I once got locked up twice by my son for loving his wife.

Man, I have had babies smothered in their crib so I could inherit a single county on multiple occasions, but loving my son's wife is a line I refuse to cross.

Which is unfortunate since that seems to be the only kind of person my characters are ever interested in.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Torrannor posted:

I'm not 100% sure so you shouldn't base your decision on what I say, but I believe it means that the Kingdom of Italy title will be destroyed, while all Italian lands that you or your vassals currently hold will be part of your new empire. But they will continue to be de jure part of the Empire of Italia.

I went ahead and clicked the button and that is exactly what happens.

I guess the kingdom is destroyed so you can't just hand it off and basically remove all the Italian duke electors by putting them under a vassal king. The tooltip could be a bit more clear about what happens though.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Man, the Karling challenge is hilarious. 100 years in I'm 3x a duke, my wife is Queen of France, son's gonna inherit it all, and totally by accident I put kinsmen on the thrones of Galicia, Portgual, and England :xd:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

I guess the kingdom is destroyed so you can't just hand it off and basically remove all the Italian duke electors by putting them under a vassal king. The tooltip could be a bit more clear about what happens though.

That wouldn't work in any case for several reasons.

1. The Kingdom of Italy is not de jure part of the HRE, so none of your Italian dukes are actually electors.

2. De jure dukes can always vote in elective empires, even if they have a king as a liege.

I actually think it's designed to simulate the historical HRE and the HRE that exists after the 1066 start. In none of the post-Old Gods starts does the Kingdom of Italy exist, and it did not exist in the historical HRE as well. That's probably the reason why it gets destroyed by the special decision to create the HRE.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MrBling posted:

Every kingdom title you hold that isn't Germany will get destroyed. If you've never destroyed a title I can see why it could be confusing, but it's pretty clear if you have.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

SeaTard posted:

Every kingdom title you hold that isn't Germany will get destroyed. If you've never destroyed a title I can see why it could be confusing, but it's pretty clear if you have.

I've destroyed plenty of titles, but it literally says "The Kingdom of Italy will be forfeit." If it had just said the title would be destroyed then I wouldn't have been in doubt.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Starting from 1205 as the Duke of Toulouse (later King of Navarre), I noticed a little into the game that the King of Castille had a weak claim on England. That was a little interesting, but that sort of thing happens a fair amount and I didn't much mind it afterwards. Later, though, as I was slowly nibbling away at Angevin France, England's lands suddenly turned dark green and 'IRELAND' replaced England over that domain. Turns out Castille successfully pressed its claim on England, but the King of England had created the Kingdom of Ireland before Castille beat them, so now there's an awkward English realm controlled by Englishmen but rules barely any English provinces at all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any word on when the "ironman saving every 6 months"-patch is coming out? I can't force myself to play my India game until then, as the monthly saving slows my game to a crawl.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Any word on when the "ironman saving every 6 months"-patch is coming out? I can't force myself to play my India game until then, as the monthly saving slows my game to a crawl.

It's out already, the latest beta patch.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Just got a little more work to go before I reach the full borders.

Started the game as Wessex in 867 was originally just planning to unite the isles and maybe retake northern Germany Denmark but then Byzantium collapsed and the Abbasids took Anatolia and Greece triggering crusades, after a disastrous first crusade for Jerusalem one was called for Greece and I thought if I was rebuilding Byzantium I way as go the whole way.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I was slowly chewing up the Karling blob when out of nowhere, Lotharangia decides to become my vassal.

These screenshots are about a week apart. The duke of Brittany took a county so I went to see what it was, and as I was panning back the game kinda stalled for a second and then half my screen was purple.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you have any karling vassals? Multiple times I have seen random Karling counts of nowheresvile suddenly become kings, and so bring their kingdom into my empire. Not due to anything I have planned either, just suddenly I find I have another vassal king, and then find out he is the grandson of that random Karling I landed ages ago.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

GSD posted:

Did you have any karling vassals? Multiple times I have seen random Karling counts of nowheresvile suddenly become kings, and so bring their kingdom into my empire. Not due to anything I have planned either, just suddenly I find I have another vassal king, and then find out he is the grandson of that random Karling I landed ages ago.

I have a few, but it's not like the king of Lotharangia died. Maybe one of his close relatives inherited something and he became my vassal from that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Novolin posted:

I have a few, but it's not like the king of Lotharangia died. Maybe one of his close relatives inherited something and he became my vassal from that?

Or a faction pressed your vassal's claim on the kingdom.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In my Germany/HRE I'm down to West Francia and Bavaria being ruled by Karlings. Lothatingia and Aquitaine are some random dynasties and Burgundy is a branch of my dynasty.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can you declare a prepared invasion but be unable to launch it? I dont have the option to declare war on a guy I've been preparing to invade for years now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Are your troops in your holdings?
Do you have you levies raised?
Do you have a truce?
Are you targeting the top level liege?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rumda posted:

Are your troops in your holdings?
Do you have you levies raised?
Do you have a truce?
Are you targeting the top level liege?

Everything no except for that last one.

Why would it let you declare something you cant do? Blurgh

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SynthOrange posted:

Everything no except for that last one.

Why would it let you declare something you cant do? Blurgh

Have you tried the top liege to see if you can attack? The event troops should be based on him if you can.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

Do I lose any of the cool Norse abilities if I reform the faith? Like can I still raid people and send boats down rivers, and use conquest casus belli?

The main things about Vikings stick around. You can still raid and pillage, take concubines, and conquer anything on the shore you drat well please. Things next to you, as well. As was said boats in rivers is going to crap out over time but there comes a point where that stops mattering. Your retinue bonus also gets cut in half from 30% extra to 15% extra. You also lose defensive attrition but that you'll lose when you're fighting people with Military Organization level 4 or higher anyway.

However, the stuff you gain is actually incredible. You can actually have Proselytize be more than a 1% chance, which lets you convert poo poo properly. Norse territories (new Norse, old Norse is still balls easy to convert) are harder to convert after reformation, which is actually a massive deal.

Reforming is absolutely worth it and should be one of your earliest goals if you're playing Norse. Your short reign penalty isn't so crushingly awful, you can shift away from Gavelkind, and you can raise crown authority beyond Low. The few things that you do lose aren't a huge deal, especially compared to all the poo poo you gain.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rumda posted:

Have you tried the top liege to see if you can attack? The event troops should be based on him if you can.

Situation is, I'm a norse count, the guy I declared an invasion on is my norse catholic king. I cant seem to declare anywhere even though I prepared.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If you win the Karling Challenge does it become West Francia again?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Na its a one time thing if it ever passes put of Karling hands even for a day it switches same with Germany.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That's a shame. I guess there's always title customization.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

As the poster above me said, you need to be Christian or Jewish to do anything with the kingdom of Jerusalem. And I'm not sure but I think you also cannot usurp it as well.

Well, that's too bad. At least I did had a son, after 6 girls. And then another, born genius.

It is possible to create a second empire title when you already got one? Im emperor of Abyssinia, but I also own like 90% de-jure provinces of the Arabian Empire, I wonder if I can form it too.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Yes. You can create as many empire titles as you can fulfill the requirements for.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was raiding Italy when a larger army the country I was raiding decided to join in. We ended up destroying several cities utterly. :stare:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Shiny777 posted:

Yes. You can create as many empire titles as you can fulfill the requirements for.

Although if you have vassal kings in there they will start desiring your additional empires.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Man, I have had babies smothered in their crib so I could inherit a single county on multiple occasions, but loving my son's wife is a line I refuse to cross.

Which is unfortunate since that seems to be the only kind of person my characters are ever interested in.

Yeh I've noticed my king keeps getting the event with the sons wives, is there a higher chance of it happening with them or something? It's a little irritating when you have about 10 sons and get spammed with the event.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is there a more efficient way of taking over kingdoms than county by county (or if you're lucky with claim fabrication, duchy by duchy?) combined with the 10 year truces it makes it really slow. I've tried making with the stabby up the line of sucession once marrying my heir off to my target kingdom, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

Another strange thing that happened is that whilst I was putting down a revolt in the Duchy of Barcelona (I'm playing as Kingdom of Navarra), Granada and Barcelona both popped independent. Next ruler was able to re-vassellize Barcelona, but Granada remains stubbornly independent. It's converted to Catholicism too, so I can't just Holy war it back into submission, which is how I got it in the first place.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thrasophius posted:

Yeh I've noticed my king keeps getting the event with the sons wives, is there a higher chance of it happening with them or something? It's a little irritating when you have about 10 sons and get spammed with the event.

I think it's just selected from all the young women in your court. If you haven't been inviting any, the only people there are going to be the wives of your unlanded sons and courtiers.

edit: Also I imagine it's weighted for attraction and if you're marrying your kids to high-stats characters with similar stats to you and your heir, that might have something to do with it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Plus there is the whole thing with the opinion bonus with marriage ties and possible marriage wish fulfillment.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've never seen the Mongols expand all the way into Egypt before and frankly, it scares me. I'm even Aquitaine, I'm not close by, but goddamn I do not want to be anywhere east of the Adriatic or Baltic right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Question: how do I turn off notifications that someone has chosen a candidate in Elective succession? Whenever I load up my save, every vassal with a vote applies their vote again and it's causing major drag and game problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I captured 3 Norse holy sites, but my moral authority is only 33 and I guess it needs to be 50 to reform the faith. Catholics have the other 2 sites on lockdown, so I guess I should just do a whole bunch of county conquests, and raid churches when I need money?

• Locked thread