Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's a lot slower. The bikes are narrow enough that they can drift between the barrier on the inside of the turn and any vehicles on the inside as well. You'll almost certainly end up going faster because the inside line is so much shorter. Also it's good practice, since if you do it right around the first turn you get that and then get a four coin bonus.

I didn't think of that; the antigrav walls are always on the outside of a turn, aren't they? I just figured that was how bikes were beating me so badly on that course, since they tend to handle straight line speed/acceleration better than a lot of karts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Personally, I take the antigrav route on the first lap because it's got coins on it and no one else takes it. Other laps, I take the inside route.

Shatwag
Jan 26, 2003

Laura Croft who?
I was playing my sister the other day and while she is a respectable driver, she's never competitive because I play video games way to much. So I was trying to figure out the absolute shittiest player and vehicle combination to make it a bit more fun but I still kept smoking her. Anyone got a recommendation?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Shatwag posted:

I was playing my sister the other day and while she is a respectable driver, she's never competitive because I play video games way to much. So I was trying to figure out the absolute shittiest player and vehicle combination to make it a bit more fun but I still kept smoking her. Anyone got a recommendation?

I'm not sure what the best worst combination would be but you could try using motion controls as a handicap.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I used motion controls with Bowser, the badmobile looking car and super monster wheels.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Shatwag posted:

Hey, that's cool of you. Not that anyone expects you to lose on purpose all the time, but thanks for thinking of your sister while you game.

I'm no expert, but I'd say make Speed your dump stat. Use Lemmy, a light Mii or one of the babies with the BiggyBuddy, Landship or Mr. Scooty and Roller wheels. That will knock your ground speed down to 1, the smallest possible value. You'll have super high acceleration and mini-turbo though, so I have no idea how that works out if you get good boost drifts all the time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
In beating all the staff ghosts, I:

1. Thought some of those ghosts are terrible!
2. Got better at a lot of tracks.
3. Learned how quickly I can restart the race. Got real good at that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I tried doing 150cc with the baby characters today, and even maxing out my speed as much as possible I still ended up losing pretty much every race. It's not even like I'm bad at Mario Kart, either. I'm not really sure if there's any tricks I'm missing, I drift just fine and I'm hitting tricks on all the ramps, and as long as I take a lead early I can even get first sometimes, but the second I get hit by an item it seems impossible for me to catch up to the first place guy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I tried doing 150cc with the baby characters today, and even maxing out my speed as much as possible I still ended up losing pretty much every race. It's not even like I'm bad at Mario Kart, either. I'm not really sure if there's any tricks I'm missing, I drift just fine and I'm hitting tricks on all the ramps, and as long as I take a lead early I can even get first sometimes, but the second I get hit by an item it seems impossible for me to catch up to the first place guy.

If you're playing as a light character go for acceleration instead. There are I think 2 karts and 1 bike which pretty much let you max it out completely if you're using the tiny roller wheels. I use Toad and I don't have any problems with 150cc

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

quote:

There is one very important thing about Acceleration: it works in tiers going by
whole numbers. What this means is that an Acceleration value of 2.00 is exactly
the same as one of 2.75. Therefore, you should always have a combo with either
2.00, 3.00, 4.00, or 5.00 Acceleration (the tiering actually stops above 5.00
Acceleration, so 5.25 is actually a bit better than 5.00) or you will be wasting
stat points that you can otherwise put into something else. In addition, the
actual affect of your Acceleration diminishes over time, with the difference
between 1.00 and 2.00, and 2.00 and 3.00, is larger than the difference between
3.00 and 4.00, and drops off rapidly once you go above 5.00.

Is this verified? I found it on gamefaqs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Twelve by Pies posted:

Try the Circuit Special, Slick/Cyber Slick, and Clouds glider

It's what I used for 150cc and Mirror when using light characters and I had no problems outside Dolphin Shoals- and that's because I have a feeling the AI cheats a little on that specific map.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's what I used for 150cc and Mirror when using light characters and I had no problems outside Dolphin Shoals- and that's because I have a feeling the AI cheats a little on that specific map.

After playing Dolphin Shoals on 150cc myself I definitely see what everyone's talking about here. It's still great to see the dolphins back, and its a very pretty stage. But because the whole pipe section in the middle and Unagi's back is so unique it might have been hard for the AI to handle, so I could see developers tweaking the rubberbanding mechanics for that stage.

Speaking of 150cc, people really 3-star all these Grand Prix? Really? I guess I'm bad at Mario Kart. That's okay though, it's still a lot of fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just curious what tracks people really dislike?

My #1 is definitely Dolphin Shoals. Other than the music when you leave the water, it's just a horrible track to race on.
#2 is Piranha motherfucker plant rear end in a top hat slide gently caress you all over. Having so many boxes at the beginning of that race with the hyper speed of the water makes it a total cluster gently caress
#3 and #4 are Wario Stadium (I just don't like it) and Dry Dry Desert which you pretty much need to cater your kart for.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The only two I would rather not play are Toads Turnpike because it's so boring and any Rainbow Road.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Finally, 10,000 coins. The only way I was able to 3-star the 150cc and mirror with Wario/Mr. Scooty/Rollers/Cloud Glider was a lot of drifting practice in time trials. A lot easier to practice technique when you aren't getting raped by green shells every 10 seconds.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't know if it's just always been this way or if it's just worse in this game, but you can go from 1st to 10th like it's nothing and never be able to recover. It can be really frustrating. Or getting bombarded by items one after the other, and each one stops you dead in your tracks. I don't remember it straight up stopping you like that before. And I want to know how everyone from Bowser to Toad is able to ram me sending me flying off to the side and occasionally making me stop dead, but I sure as hell can't do it and it's really annoying!

That being said I've been playing this loving game since like 4 this afternoon so it's doing something right :v:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I was so pumped to see Toad's Turnpike and I love that they let you drive up on the backs of the trucks now. It's a great classic stage and remixing it felt sweet. I also really like how they did Donut Plains, it's really cool to see that brought to 3-D.

I find myself drawn to compare this to Sonic Allstars Transformed and I feel a little guilty in how much I just prefer these tracks to that game. That game's wholly built around the difficulty of its tracks (and the aggressiveness of the A.I. I suppose) and they change over the course of the laps, making it a lengthy process to get familiar with them. Here, I rarely feel like I'm fighting WITH the track to get things done and more that I'm fighting with getting the right timing on power slides and knowing when to take turns.

I really liked Wario's Mountain, though, and I'd enjoy seeing more tracks like that in the future. Also, is Dolphin Shoals not well-regarded? It's been my favorite track so far, though I've only done it once.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I like Mount Wario because if I try hard enough I can pretend I'm playing an HD Snowboard Kids game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Try the Circuit Special, Slick/Cyber Slick, and Clouds glider

Hmm, I was using Circuit Special and Slick and still getting trounced. I don't have the cloud glider yet, but I thought every glider except the default one was the same?

Waltzing Along posted:

Just curious what tracks people really dislike?

I wouldn't say I dislike them exactly, but I'm not particularly fond of Sweet Sweet Canyon or Bone Dry Dunes. Neither one of them is very interesting to me, they just come off as a bit dull compared to the other tracks. I miss how the N64 Yoshi's Valley would make your positions a mystery, I guess it's probably better to show it but that was a really neat thing about that track that got removed for no real reason as far as I can tell.

Actually the only track I really dislike is the N64 Rainbow Road. Not that I think the track itself is bad, it's great, I just really hate how they made it a one lap track instead of the two that the N64 version was. It makes it go by too fast and that just isn't as fun to me, they really screwed up on that one.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I really liked Wario's Mountain, though, and I'd enjoy seeing more tracks like that in the future. Also, is Dolphin Shoals not well-regarded? It's been my favorite track so far, though I've only done it once.

Mount Wario is probably my favorite track from this game, and I love Dolphin Shoals too. In fact I love pretty much every track in Star Cup.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I live this game to death. I just don't get why they took out the two riders per car in 7 & 8. That was so awesome in double dash. At least include it as an optional mode (yes yes I know, loads of programming time).

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjcaKvdM84g

I couldn't get it on the video, but the Yoshi got hit by my Red Shell at the end. These are always the best kind of endings.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

CatsPajamas posted:

After playing Dolphin Shoals on 150cc myself I definitely see what everyone's talking about here. It's still great to see the dolphins back, and its a very pretty stage. But because the whole pipe section in the middle and Unagi's back is so unique it might have been hard for the AI to handle, so I could see developers tweaking the rubberbanding mechanics for that stage.

Speaking of 150cc, people really 3-star all these Grand Prix? Really? I guess I'm bad at Mario Kart. That's okay though, it's still a lot of fun.

The staff ghost on Dolphin Shoals gave me quite a bit of trouble. In the process of trying to beat it, I learned that what I thought was the fastest line through the track was wrong many times over. For example, going off the underwater jumps near the start seems to be a universally bad idea, even with the little boosts in the "air". And driving on the eel constantly jumping and tricking also seems like a waste; you're better off just driving on it or falling off early.

I haven't ruled out any AI shenanigans but it's a surprisingly difficult course to analyze.

Also no, not everybody 3-stars all the 150cc Grand Prix. But it's fun to work towards!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I sort of dislike playing Bone Dry Desert, but that's mostly because I often choke at the second half/end of the track.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Nahxela posted:

I sort of dislike playing Bone Dry Desert, but that's mostly because I often choke at the second half/end of the track.

It is a Bad Track. One of two, in the whole game, which is a pretty good ratio all things considered.

The other one is Dolphin Shoals, in case you were curious.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
For whatever it's worth, Bone Dry Desert is probably my favourite track :shobon:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Is this verified? I found it on gamefaqs.

I don't know, I just like playing the game.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Neowyrm posted:

It is a Bad Track. One of two, in the whole game, which is a pretty good ratio all things considered.

The other one is Dolphin Shoals, in case you were curious.

But why

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

For me, nothing feel very tight/responsive on that level. While not difficult to time, getting boosts from timing jumps on the pipe bubbles isn't as satisfying as a ramp. Everything is a bit more slippery, of course, so that makes things feel a bit more "blah" as well. The turn right before the finish line can be pretty frustrating if you don't have the right setup. And the eel, while a really cool element, can be a pain. Again, this is all just based on my personal taste and skill level. I wouldn't say it's an objectively bad level, but many people might have the same complaints.

I do love the transition after that eel from being underwater to above water, especially with the music changing (<3 sax) and the lens flare.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

XOIC of Radishes posted:

I do love the transition after that eel from being underwater to above water, especially with the music changing (<3 sax) and the lens flare.

I think that is the only good part of the level and the rest is bad for the reasons you mentioned. Part of the problem is there are a bunch of elements that are really only on that level and they aren't particularly fun, they are just annoying.

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007

I think both tracks suffer from a really bone-headedly difficult turn right by the end that is on sand and comes immediately after a gliding section. Bone Dry Desert is actually a pretty fun course overall, but then go from having fun and drifting like crazy to having to line up your lovely glider and maybe even start turning before you transition back to the ground. I actually enjoyed Dolphin Shoals more in Time Trial mode, because I always had a mushroom to just burn through the turn.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SterlingSylver posted:

I think both tracks suffer from a really bone-headedly difficult turn right by the end that is on sand and comes immediately after a gliding section. Bone Dry Desert is actually a pretty fun course overall, but then go from having fun and drifting like crazy to having to line up your lovely glider and maybe even start turning before you transition back to the ground. I actually enjoyed Dolphin Shoals more in Time Trial mode, because I always had a mushroom to just burn through the turn.

I dunno about "suffer", those are maybe the only two genuinely difficult turns in the game (other than some optional turns for shortcuts). I like how I've raced on Dolphin Shoals like 20 times now and I'm still batting .500 on that turn. I feel like I'm brand new to Mario Kart again when I go through those turns.

I can understand some frustration coming out of it but I'm not sure that's on the track.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hey, I had a crack at reviewing this game. I'm assuming that everyone reading this thread probably already owns the game or has their mind set on it. But here goes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZTYXCIc0o

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

pokeyman posted:

I dunno about "suffer", those are maybe the only two genuinely difficult turns in the game (other than some optional turns for shortcuts). I like how I've raced on Dolphin Shoals like 20 times now and I'm still batting .500 on that turn. I feel like I'm brand new to Mario Kart again when I go through those turns.

I can understand some frustration coming out of it but I'm not sure that's on the track.
Yeah, Bone Dry Dunes is a pretty good track all told (still not one of my favourites, though). Dolphin Shoals is the worst of the new tracks in my opinion, but that's got nothing to do with that one tricky turn and everything to do with the amount and degree to which is relies on lovely gimmicks. I'd even go so far as to say that it's the ONLY one of the new tracks that's bad, I can't think of another that I don't like. The bad tracks are almost exclusively found among the retro cups: Toad's Turnpike, that Piranha Plant water slide, the music hall one with the dancing notes and what's left of Rainbow Road 64 in this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yo at the end of a race, what is that 0/6 thing at the top where you can give a gold star? Is that just a favorite track or something? I can't seem to find what exactly that does

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Macaluso posted:

Yo at the end of a race, what is that 0/6 thing at the top where you can give a gold star? Is that just a favorite track or something? I can't seem to find what exactly that does
That's your favorite replay/highlight (MKTV stuff). You have a max of 6 favorites, and I'm guessing you don't have any favorited highlights, which is why it displays it as 0/6.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
God I love this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIotOkEITaM

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 16, 2014

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in the world that isn't big on Grumble Volcano, given how often it gets picked in the Worldwide rooms.

Also, playing as Waluigi seems to make everyone want you dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfuwLyc6B1M

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CatsPajamas posted:

Nah, it just takes a week or two to fully adapt to this iteration of Mario Kart. At least, that's a big part of it. I spent the first few days trying to 3-star as many cups as I could, and only got around half of them. Played online for a week or so, covering just about all of the tracks, learned some shortcuts, found the perfect kart setup, etc. I went back the other night to try and fill in some more 3-stars and it was a cinch, even on the ones with tracks I feel I could do better on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Got together with some people to play Mario Kart:

Don't laugh too hard, though. Once she got her buttons straight she started dominating.

Zertoss posted:

Also, playing as Waluigi seems to make everyone want you dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

PrBacterio posted:

The bad tracks are almost exclusively found among the retro cups: Toad's Turnpike, that Piranha Plant water slide, the music hall one with the dancing notes and what's left of Rainbow Road 64 in this game.

Are you kidding that's one of my favourite tracks :frogout:

Toad's Turnpike almost puts me to sleep though, yeah

• Locked thread