Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Tanahashi's 2013 was probably the best year any male wrestler has had. And it gets even better if you cheat and extend it backward to the October 2012 ***** match with Suzuki. I guess I'd have to go back and look at Best Of rankings from the mid 90s to see if any of the AJPW guys ever did better.

Dunbar fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MassRafTer posted:

He was really bad. He had little charisma and little real ability.

For all of the people saying it is Khali for sure you all seriously need to see some Tiger Jeet Singh. I'd rather watch a dozen Khali comedy squashes on Raw this week than a single TJS match from FMW.

TJS: Brings a sword to the match, still boring.

Actually now I'm curious about his AJPW work and... Well, I found a match from '81 and he's spent most of the runtime so far chasing people around outside the ring with a sword.

Okay, lemme revise:

Tiger Jeet Singh: Brings a sword to the match, still does restholds all day

this bit is great, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRRo29eNpoU&t=62s

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Burt Buckle posted:

Who would you say has had a better world title run: Eric Young or Daniel Bryan?

This is like a really obvious honeypot but it depends on how you define "better." Eric Young in terms of booking / title defenses. Bryan in terms of using actual human logic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Web Jew.0 posted:

This is like a really obvious honeypot but it depends on how you define "better." Eric Young in terms of booking / title defenses. Bryan in terms of using actual human logic.

Look at it this way: come MitB, [VACANT] will have defended the title as many times as Daniel Bryan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm pretty sure a ripoff of the worst title reign would be worse by default.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Look at it this way - people have heard of Daniel Bryan

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

He won the title in the main event of Wrestlemania without any bullshit. That balances the rest to an average WWE title reign.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

He won the title in the main event of Wrestlemania without any bullshit. That balances the rest to an average WWE title reign.

Yeah there was some unfortunate timing (and poor decisions) after he won, but his performance and the catharsis of victory at Wrestlemania was absolutely outstanding.

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011

oatgan posted:

it's an old jazz standard

Doing some quick research and Wiki says the standard is apparently about a...hippie?

Why is that a nickname you'd give yourself if you're Buddy Rogers and later Ric Flair, who both really were anything but hippies?

edit: Let me rephrase that: "The song tells a fantasy of a "strange enchanted boy... who wandered very far" only to learn that "the greatest thing... was just to love and be loved in return"." That's a hippie in my all-too-conformist book :colbert:

GreatestLurker fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 14, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

GreatestLurker posted:

Doing some quick research and Wiki says the standard is apparently about a...hippie?

Why is that a nickname you'd give yourself if you're Buddy Rogers and later Ric Flair, who both really were anything but hippies?

edit: Let me rephrase that: "The song tells a fantasy of a "strange enchanted boy... who wandered very far" only to learn that "the greatest thing... was just to love and be loved in return"." That's a hippie in my all-too-conformist book :colbert:

Sex.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Did the Rock and Booker T ever do a promo or in ring segment about how they essentially have the same finisher?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

Did the Rock and Booker T ever do a promo or in ring segment about how they essentially have the same finisher?

Wasn't that one of the things in their feud over the WCW Title during (or right after, can never remember) the Invasion? I'm fairly certain it was mentioned.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Manwithastick posted:

It wasn't just his finisher, Russo turned Booker into a wholesale Rock ripoff

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
How long have wrestling fans been quoting Meltzer's star ratings like they were canon and not one guy's opinion? I've never seen that in discussion of any other type of media.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Probably for as long as people have been discussing wrestling on the Internet. His newsletter dates back to the late 70s / early 80s (although not in its current form), so he has written about every major event in wrestling for over 30 years. His reviews and ratings were important to the early tape trading community because there was really no other way to know what was going on out in the wider wrestling world. There was no cable TV for the most part, and certainly no other way to know what was happening in Europe/Japan/Mexico/etc.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

It still kills me that there's people who think of themselves as wrestling journalists, because even Meltzer being hand-fed nuggets of information from the Rock b-a-r-e-l-y counts as journalism. Barely. Seriously, you guys. BARELY. And trust me, I WISH wrestling journalism was a real thing.

That being said, I trust his star ratings pretty much no questions asked if I'm wondering how good something I haven't seen is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

magnum_valentino posted:

How long have wrestling fans been quoting Meltzer's star ratings like they were canon and not one guy's opinion? I've never seen that in discussion of any other type of media.
How deep is that cave on mars in which you live that you've never heard of Gene Siskel or Roger Ebert?

Mob posted:

It still kills me that there's people who think of themselves as wrestling journalists, because even Meltzer being hand-fed nuggets of information from the Rock b-a-r-e-l-y counts as journalism. Barely. Seriously, you guys. BARELY. And trust me, I WISH wrestling journalism was a real thing.
Dave Meltzer is more a journalist than well over 90% of non-wrestling journalists in terms of both content and ethics. His big lack is a design director and a copy editor (Vinny does his best.) Now granted, all I know is what I learned from running my college newspaper and taking a few courses, but I can't imagine that's less than you're working with here.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 15, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

How deep is that cave on mars in which you live that you've never heard of Gene Siskel or Roger Ebert?

You realize that the last time Siskel & Ebert reviewed anything as a unit was 15 years ago, right. WCW was just starting its crash. They're also both dead, so it isn't like there's going to be a surprise reunion.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Meltzer's knowledge of wrestling history is rivaled by only a few people in the industry, so if he says a match is good, that's more or less the end of the discussion. His five-star ratings surpassed the Undertaker's streak this year as the most protected thing in wrestling, and his writing is mediocre-to-terrible when he's just smashing out a newsletter, but he's essentially way out ahead of anyone else calling themselves a wrestling journalist. If he got into a car accident tomorrow, that would be the end of actual wrestling news.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm just saying the phrase "wrestling journalism" is laughable, but the closest thing anyone will ever get to a real rear end wrestling journalist is Meltzer.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Are there any other wrestling writers who have any sources in WWE/TNA/etc and Japan who can actually break stories and news before they happen? I can't think of anyone else who does legit reporting on things like Bryan needing neck surgery, Punk leaving WWE, etc. I don't think you can overstate the degree to which wrestling "news" discussion on the Internet begins and ends with him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mob posted:

I'm just saying the phrase "wrestling journalism" is laughable, but the closest thing anyone will ever get to a real rear end wrestling journalist is Meltzer.

He does a lot better than most mainstream actual journalists.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Gonzo McFee posted:

He does a lot better than most mainstream actual journalists.

You might want to re-read what I wrote and see that I'm actually saying Meltzer is the only person good at the fake industry

LividLiquid posted:

Now granted, all I know is what I learned from running my college newspaper and taking a few courses, but I can't imagine that's less than you're working with here.

Well gosh guy who's never been wrong or misinformed about anything on this forum ever before

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mob posted:

You might want to re-read what I wrote and see that I'm actually saying Meltzer is the only person good at the fake industry

Well gosh guy who's never been wrong or misinformed about anything on this forum ever before

I was agreeing with you.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Gonzo McFee posted:

I was agreeing with you.

Cool I just read it incorrectly, sorry.

Also I think Meltzer is like, a billion times better at MMA journalism but it really just seems like he cares WAY more about MMA, like he does more things that an actual reporter would do. That's probably pretty obvious to the people who rabidly follow him though.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Just use star ratings as a guide on maybe you should check that out but never take it as the gospal on how good a match is also he loves to downgrade matches by a quarter just to not hand out 5 flakes especially in WWE the last few years.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

That's true, it's like if you get an A- then you really got an A but it means the professor doesn't like you.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Star ratings are not very useful for comparisons. They are useful for finding great stuff to watch and making Sting look bad. His last 4 star sings match was in 1999!

Dunbar posted:

Are there any other wrestling writers who have any sources in WWE/TNA/etc and Japan who can actually break stories and news before they happen? I can't think of anyone else who does legit reporting on things like Bryan needing neck surgery, Punk leaving WWE, etc. I don't think you can overstate the degree to which wrestling "news" discussion on the Internet begins and ends with him.
PWInsider breaks some news. SEScoops was first on Bryan's concussion and neck injury, but never anything else.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Star ratings are about as useful as this forum's MOTY thread, Dave has his favorites and can be very biased especially if he sees the match in person. But, they do a good enough job of sorting the good stuff to the top, and like others said before the internet got huge his star ratings were basically how tape traders got things done. I have a giant box full of Best Of tapes from the 90s in the basement that are largely compiled by WON star ratings.

As for other reporters, are Bob Ryder and Dave Scherer still around? At this point I would think someone like Austin or JR would be breaking more stories than anyone other than Meltzer though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Meltzer's knowledge of wrestling history is rivaled by only a few people in the industry, so if he says a match is good, that's more or less the end of the discussion. His five-star ratings surpassed the Undertaker's streak this year as the most protected thing in wrestling

MY CLIENT KAZUCHIKA OKADA CONQUERED RIC FLAIR'S FIVE STAR STREAK AT THE OBSERVER*

*I don't know if this is true

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I remember some time in the attitude era there were some weird variations of the scratch logo, was this true or was I dreaming this?!

It looked similar , but a bit hosed up? I swear I saw a pic of the gorilla position curtain with it on?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

MY CLIENT KAZUCHIKA OKADA CONQUERED RIC FLAIR'S FIVE STAR STREAK AT THE OBSERVER*

*I don't know if this is true

If you're talking about the 6 year period where there were no 5-flake matches, then either John Cena or CM Punk claims that honor.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

simosimo posted:

I remember some time in the attitude era there were some weird variations of the scratch logo, was this true or was I dreaming this?!

It looked similar , but a bit hosed up? I swear I saw a pic of the gorilla position curtain with it on?

These are the only variants I can find/remember. The first one looks a little fatter, but other than that, it's the same.

http://i.imgur.com/rCu7oJB.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/o4pftrm

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

simosimo posted:

Your not wrong. They had a weird looking handmade one on the curtain below the titantron for a very short time.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, see, it doesn't happen with them. People on film forums don't talk about 5-star or 4-star films like it's a fact that the films have those ratings. I could understand if we were quoting polled ratings from Metacritic which would give a better feel for what a lot of people thought of something, but seriously guys, you're talking about ONE GUY'S opinion like it's not just an opinion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

magnum_valentino posted:

Yeah, see, it doesn't happen with them. People on film forums don't talk about 5-star or 4-star films like it's a fact that the films have those ratings. I could understand if we were quoting polled ratings from Metacritic which would give a better feel for what a lot of people thought of something, but seriously guys, you're talking about ONE GUY'S opinion like it's not just an opinion.

Which is exactly what Siskel and Ebert were? Replace Meltzer with them and star ratings with thumbs up, and they were basically the only movie reviewers anyone knew of or trusted for a solid decade on syndicated TV, and longer before that.

This poo poo predates forums by a loooong margin.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is it true that Kevin Sullivan beat Nancy?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's why everyone was so relieved when she left him for Benoit.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I just want to be clear that what is happening is that we are arguing about why people argue about ratings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it true that Kevin Sullivan beat Nancy?
Where did you hear that? Randazzo made that claim in Ring of Hell, but that's another one of those books that's just wrestlingrumours.txt.