Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

bewbies posted:

My manager won't use any of my great OBP guys in leadoff, should I just remove the option to play Mr Beck at all? I'm starting to think trade...

Are you opposed to setting lineups yourself at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

uggy posted:

He might be like me and enjoy the challenge of being GM only. I haven't done one of those games yet in 15 but in OOTP14 I have a team that's had the same manager for like 15 years (I am dreading him retiring) and they always perform above expectations. I don't think it's a stretch to say the manager deserves credit for that.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

gardenald posted:

That dude is the best and I would bat him 9th and have him try to bunt for a hit like 60% of the time

If you play no-DH: bat him 8th, bunt for hit, steal second & third, suicide squeeze bunt with the pitcher.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
A lot of these super fast players tend to lack hitting skills, it's not totally unusual to see. That guy actually does have okay hitting potential, though, which a lot of these speedsters don't have. He might not ever get a .700 OPS at the plate but that speed plus that defense could end up saving you.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

uggy posted:

Yeah, I try and play strictly as a GM.

Guy's line at the break is .215/.234/.293. 57 SB, 5 CS, plus he's the best defensive CF in the game by a good bit right now. I wish my manager would bat him 9th; my SS is .318/.411/.491 with 15 SBs but of course has 40 fewer PAs than the worst everyday hitter in MLB. BAD MANAGER

I'm not super knowledgeable about baseball tactics; is there some thing I'm not aware of that would make batting this guy #1 a good play? I've always been under the impression that OBP > * in the first two lineup spots.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
No you're pretty much right. High obp guy 1st, best overall hitter 2nd, next best at 4th, and pretty much whatever from there. 3rd hitter could be high power low obp since they will have the most at bats without any runners on. Lineup construction isn't that big of a deal, but yes, that dude of yours should be batting way lower while your ss should be batting either first or second.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Or you can go with the Bryan Price method and bat your Billy Hamilton first since, you know, steals?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a baseball sim out there for Android? I used to play iOOTP on my iPhone but I lost it and switched to a Samsung

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They were working on Android last year but I don't think there's a version of OOTP for it yet.

The only thing I can think of is you could pay for this and connect it to play OOTP on a desktop: https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/android/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Faltese Malkin posted:

Just a heads up: MLB contacted the developers of OOTP and asked they take team nicknames out of the game, so the latest patch (3.1.something) will fix bugs, add some 3D stuff, and take out team names. Apparently this also applies to minor league teams as well.

I imagine the modding community will try to find a way to work around this, but for now you are stuck manually editing the names yourself. Some good news is that it doesn't apply to saved games, just new ones.

So I started a new league a few nights ago and was a little shocked by the teamnames because I had forgotten about it. Out of curiosity I hit the "randomize names" button a few times before starting the league just to see if there were any relly amusing names in there, and on the third randomization it randomly gave every team their real names. I started a new league again and once again, on the third randomization it just randomly gave every team their real names again.
I guess the modding community doesn't have as much work to do as we thought :v:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

So I started a new league a few nights ago and was a little shocked by the teamnames because I had forgotten about it. Out of curiosity I hit the "randomize names" button a few times before starting the league just to see if there were any relly amusing names in there, and on the third randomization it randomly gave every team their real names. I started a new league again and once again, on the third randomization it just randomly gave every team their real names again.
I guess the modding community doesn't have as much work to do as we thought :v:

:lol: Confirmed.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So here's ol' boy after his 3rd season. He's been batting leadoff every game. The SBs are pretty funny.

He's won a couple of GGs in CF and had by far the best ZR the last two years. I have 3 more years of him in arbitration; would you offer him an extension? If he's a 4-5 WAR player that probably means at least $13-15m. Kind of tempted to trade him still.

Also I really wish there was a player like this in real life.

edit - he's wanting $12m a year for an 8 year deal, can probably get him down to $10m.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 15, 2014

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Baseball is the one sport I love and I like games where you run stuff so I jumped into OOTP15. Lot of fun but it turns out I don't know much of the historical stuff so I started looking at the world databases - they seemed easy to mess with.
So I took fantasy baseball literally and well:

Westeros has baseball now.

I found the name and city databases on OOTPmods, but they didn't seem to be in a usable state - so I gutted the world XML, made up population numbers, and remade the name list matched them up to their appropriate "ethnicities," so Starks come from the North and Martells from Dorne. Finding decent logos for the teams was more work than I thought, but the major-level is completely fleshed out.

Mixing nerdery peanut butter and chocolate, but I legit laughed when I thought up the name "First Bat of Braavos" for MVP.
Hope you guys like it more than the Steam thread. :reject:

edit:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 15, 2014

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
That's awesome! Any way for you to upload the file for download

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Sure! I'm not exactly sure what I need to include, but I at least got it working pretty drat well as a Quickstart.

Ballgame of Thrones v2

It's got nation flags and a quickstart that should drop right into your Documents\OOTP Devs\OOTP Baseball 15 folder without overwriting anything. I used a seperate folder entirely to make it, but it seems to import just fine.
I had to delete the box scores history, baseball cards, and stat history to make it smallish. I'd personally let the sim run for a few years to generate some stats.
Or go ahead and scramble the players in the League Settings - looks like it will still use the "Westeros" name-sets, as long as you re-upload the world or names databases from the Database options.

Or just call a Fantasy Draft once the pre-season starts. If you play as-is, watch out for Harrenhal - those assholes can mash taters.
edit: I progressed it to preseason and triggered a fantasy draft, so it should be basically a cleaner slate now.

Let me know if anything looks hosed up or broken - I have no idea what I'm doing.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 19, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

So here's ol' boy after his 3rd season. He's been batting leadoff every game. The SBs are pretty funny.

He's won a couple of GGs in CF and had by far the best ZR the last two years. I have 3 more years of him in arbitration; would you offer him an extension? If he's a 4-5 WAR player that probably means at least $13-15m. Kind of tempted to trade him still.

Also I really wish there was a player like this in real life.

edit - he's wanting $12m a year for an 8 year deal, can probably get him down to $10m.

I'd be a bit iffy on signing him that long but I'd absolutely do it for that AAV. You might be able to get him for less if you scale it, a lot of times I'm able to sign a guy pre-arb for something that starts a little above what I think he'll make in arb and scales up to a little below what he initially asked for in AAV. Let me get super nerdy for you on his stats though.

A stat I like to look at is a sort of modified slugging percentage. I take total bases, add steals, subtract CS*2 (because I want to penalize it a little more and also to somewhat adjust for getting on base via walk), and divide it by AB. So if you do that for that guy his "adjusted" slugging is .459, which is pretty good considering he's playing elite defense and probably taking extra bases on pretty much every hit when he's on base. As long as he can keep his OBP around .300 he'll be well worth it, imo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What do you guys think of this:

I get:
20 y/o LF, .301/.368/.501 with 25 SBs and plus defense in rookie season, was #19 overall prospect year prior

I give:
Borderline all star 27 y/o 3B (.287/.365/.502, 85 rating at 3B), 2 years of arbitration remaining
#5 overall prospect, power hitting RF, 22 y/o
#68 overall prospect, good all around 21 y/o LHP
2.5* C prospect, 19 y/o

I feel like this is a fairly reasonable trade. I realize this sort of thing doesn't happen often in the real world, but how realistic is it from a value perspective?

(I have trade difficulty all the way up and "heavily favor prospects")

Epilogue:
The guy I traded for has turned into a young Bonds; two straight MVPs, two GGs, two 1.000+ OPS seasons with 30 SBs. The 3B made an all star game and is a pending FA, #5 prospect is now 24, hasn't cracked the majors yet and is looking like a major bust, the SP is doing well in AAA and looks like he'll be a 2.5-3 star SP, the C is middling in AA.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 16, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

What do you guys think of this:

I get:
20 y/o LF, .301/.368/.501 with 25 SBs and plus defense in rookie season, was #19 overall prospect year prior

I give:
Borderline all star 27 y/o 3B (.287/.365/.502, 85 rating at 3B), 2 years of arbitration remaining
#5 overall prospect, power hitting RF, 22 y/o
#68 overall prospect, good all around 21 y/o LHP
2.5* C prospect, 19 y/o

I feel like this is a fairly reasonable trade. I realize this sort of thing doesn't happen often in the real world, but how realistic is it from a value perspective?

(I have trade difficulty all the way up and "heavily favor prospects")

Epilogue:
The guy I traded for has turned into a young Bonds; two straight MVPs, two GGs, two 1.000+ OPS seasons with 30 SBs. The 3B made an all star game and is a pending FA, #5 prospect is now 24, hasn't cracked the majors yet and is looking like a major bust, the SP is doing well in AAA and looks like he'll be a 2.5-3 star SP, the C is middling in AA.

Even ignoring the humblebrag since you already did it, there's not nearly enough information to actually evaluate it at the time of the trade.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Squiggle posted:

Sure! I'm not exactly sure what I need to include, but I at least got it working pretty drat well as a Quickstart.

Ballgame of Thrones

It's got nation flags and a quickstart that should drop right into your Documents\OOTP Devs\OOTP Baseball 15 folder without overwriting anything. I used a seperate folder entirely to make it, but it seems to import just fine.
I had to delete the box scores history, baseball cards, and stat history to make it smallish. I'd personally let the sim run for a few years to generate some stats.
Or go ahead and scramble the players in the League Settings - looks like it will still use the "Westeros" name-sets, as long as you re-upload the world or names databases from the Database options.

Or just call a Fantasy Draft once the pre-season starts. If you play as-is, watch out for Harrenhal - those assholes can mash taters.

Let me know if anything looks hosed up or broken - I have no idea what I'm doing.

This is pretty awesome and I can't wait to dig into it later.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Let me know if it breaks horribly! I re-uploaded a version that starts at a fantasy draft, so it should be a better clean-slate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

This happened. Was amused.

Then this happened:

He just finished an MVP season, .334/.384/.624, 27 SBs, 7.0 WAR. If this actually happened in real life I might actually watch ESPN to see them talk about it.

Aaaaand finally, this happened.

I would give almost anything to see a 320 pound 36 year old Jason Heyward lumber up to the plate 300 times a year.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 21, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Only 100 game score, what a scrub.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

quote:

Aaaaand finally, this happened.

I would give almost anything to see a 320 pound 36 year old Jason Heyward lumber up to the plate 300 times a year.
This happened to me in OOTP 14, someone on their staff seems to think Heyward will get massively fat over the next decade or so. Salvador Perez, of all people, topped 300 pounds at one point (still catching, of course). Matt Adams turned into a husky, big-boned chunk monster too, but that's far more within the realm of possibility (he's billed at 260 now, in OOTP he ballooned to like 325).

I looked up Heyward in the OOTP 14 game I've had going on - it's the end of the 2030 season, he's 305 pounds and starting almost every day in right field for the Phillies (he also just hit .272/.373/.454 in 540 PAs at age 41).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

King Felix rehab start.jpg

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
In OOTP 15, if I start a game in say 1901 will the league evolve naturally if I turn off the option for it to expand automatically at the proper time? I'd love to just watch the game simulate some kind of alternate timeline.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

paint dry posted:

In OOTP 15, if I start a game in say 1901 will the league evolve naturally if I turn off the option for it to expand automatically at the proper time? I'd love to just watch the game simulate some kind of alternate timeline.

You shouldn't get get any of the expansion teams, iirc. You'll just have the original teams from 1901 until the end of time.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

tadashi posted:

You shouldn't get get any of the expansion teams, iirc. You'll just have the original teams from 1901 until the end of time.

Yeah, I figured it out. You can start a dynamically evolving league in 2014, but not way back then.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

paint dry posted:

Yeah, I figured it out. You can start a dynamically evolving league in 2014, but not way back then.

If I start a historical league and set it to automatically expand historically, will it continue to evolve dynamically after 2014, or be frozen in time forever?

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Rincewind posted:

If I start a historical league and set it to automatically expand historically, will it continue to evolve dynamically after 2014, or be frozen in time forever?

I think so yes.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Rincewind posted:

I'm playing a historical league that started with the 1969 season with historical changes on. The league added the appropriate expansion teams when the time came.

Since I passed 2014 I haven't seen any expansion teams added but the Marlins did move to San Antonio before the 2025 season.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
What are the major improvements between OOTP 14 and OOTP 15? I'm bored and am deciding whether to buy OOTP or some zombie game on steam my brother in law keeps talking about.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DannoMack posted:

What are the major improvements between OOTP 14 and OOTP 15? I'm bored and am deciding whether to buy OOTP or some zombie game on steam my brother in law keeps talking about.

The new interface is actually nice. You get a dashboard on your home screen that allows you to see many different reports for the team you're controlling. The historical league features are much better so it's now possible/easier to create leagues with teams from different eras or create a fictional league with a specific historical player pool.
It allows you to see ratings of players adjusted to the league they're in or compared to other leagues which is nice when you open a league for the first time.
If you play games with foreign leagues running, it has a reputation system for foreign leagues so a player who gets the same offer from a MLB as he does from an NPB team might have an incentive to sign with the MLB team. It has an actual posting system now and you can set it to pay out the posting fee over multiple year.
The whole game runs much faster. Simulating weeks or months at a time are much faster.

The newest update slightly fixes compensation for free agents under the new CBA by only allowing players who play for one team through the season be eligible for compensation (but it's still tied to an arbitration offer instead of a qualifying offer).

I'm not saying hurry up and buy it but I'm ok with the money I spent on it. I've played it enough now that going back to OOTP14 feels a little foreign and less efficient than 15.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The All Star game sale is here. 50% off through July 16th. I think it's time for me to upgrade, then.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

chaoslord posted:

The All Star game sale is here. 50% off through July 16th. I think it's time for me to upgrade, then.

Ya that's pretty much what I do with each game. I usually wait until the world series sale but I might have to get it now. 20 always seemed like a good price for the game.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
For all the words written about OOTP, there's not a lot about how people actually play the game. I really don't want to read huge forum posts written entirely in character or watch Youtube videos where guys take the Astros to the World Series by exploiting the trade AI, so I thought I would ask a couple of questions here.

So, how do you guys play? Do you start as GM of your favourite team in 2014, or as a minor league manager? Or do you play as Commissioner, dipping in and out of different teams and watching things play out (this is something that interests me, although I don't play that way myself, so I'd like to read people's experiences with that playstyle)?

For those of you who play as GM, what's your methodology for roster moves? I find myself tinkering constantly (like every couple of days) and end up with my teams being unbalanced and having to get the AI to rework my whole minor league system.

Lastly, has anyone played through the 1890s, and does the game reflect any of the violence in the game of that era?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I have so many OOTP games, I don't know where to start that question. Usually I play as my favorite team the first time for 5-10 seasons then start a new league. At that time I pick terrible teams and abuse the trade AI to make them better. It mostly works.

Only one time have I done the same franchise for 30~ years. I don't know what happened with my OOTP settings, but I (and the league) had great draft classes and rookies who actually developed and got better. This was with OOTP13? I believe. Nowadays, the ratings seem like they fluctuate so much it's hard to actually evaluate players. Guy is a 26 year old 4 star LF who has a .300/.400/.500 season and then somehow the next season he's 2 1/2 stars at age 27 with the same ratings who now hits .240/.330/.375

Probably some settings I have to play with, but have been finding that OOTP feels less geared towards long term plays versus quick 1-5 season bursts.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
I enjoy simming ahead 10 years and taking the team in the worst position to rebuild them, although I haven't played a solo OOTP league in a few versions.

And no the game doesn't reflect the violence of the game in the 19th century.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always play a modern day game, only as GM. Trade difficulty set to high and "favor prospects" makes the trading a lot harder, especially the old "offload aging overpaid veterans" tactic. I also like taking a random kid from a draft class and then plug in some former player's career highs or something like that as their "potential", then watching them as they go through their careers. It is funny how much they change/fail/succeed. IE, the AI mangled Babe Ruth so badly that he never even made the majors.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
The first thing I do in every ootp is sim a year and start an expansion team. Usually in Vancouver, Portland or Las Vegas.

Edit: Oh and hire Barry Bonds as a minor league hitting coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cross-postin from the MLB n/v thread

Hey everyone, the Be A GM 2 draft and stuff finished drafting last week, and I've been setting up the lineups and stuff all week. Cleveland and Milwaukee have completely abandoned their teams and could really use someone to at least set up their lineups and pitching staff. I know it's not the same amount of fun when you didn't draft anyone but you might be able to swing a trade or something! You can also manage your team as I sim through a season, starting this week!

Just post in the thread to claim one of the teams, then you can either PM me, e-mail me, or use the google doc to set up your lineups and stuff.

• Locked thread