Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
---
This poll is closed.
Go Heat! 96 28.15%
Go Spurs! 245 71.85%
Total: 341 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It is extremely hosed up that NBA fans are going to cheer for the commissioner, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I'm going just so I can boo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

It is extremely hosed up that NBA fans are going to cheer for the commissioner, imo

Just wait until he sides with some slimy owner who threatens to move a team or during the next inevitable labor stoppage when he speaks out against the players for demanding a fair share of money from the NBA teams that claim to be losing money hand-over-fist.

Silver is such a dorky-looking weirdo, I thought it would be funny if he struggled to lift the O'Brien trophy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Silver struggles to pronounce names of prospects, looks up and only sees hot lights staring back at him, the sweat creeps down his neck, he pees himself

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Doltos posted:

Silver struggles to pronounce names of prospects, looks up and only sees hot lights staring back at him, the sweat creeps down his neck, he pees himself

I always wondered if they had language coaches brought in or if the names were spelled phonetically on the podium.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Captain Tolerable posted:

The fact that there's a good chance people will still hate Lebron James for no reason when he retires makes me sad

There will always be a few exceptions but the narrative on Lebron the second he retires will change so fast it will make your head spin. History will be very kind to him I think.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

nachos posted:

There will always be a few exceptions but the narrative on Lebron the second he retires will change so fast it will make your head spin. History will be very kind to him I think.

Especially after he brings Toronto their first championship

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
What is everyones plans for the offseason? I'm going to go back to the game 2 GDT and re-read all the series over posts, chuckle, and then enter a medical coma until football starts.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

I always wondered if they had language coaches brought in or if the names were spelled phonetically on the podium.

I think the latter. He's been doing the second round for a few years (MISS YOU RUSS :love: ) so he's had plenty of experience saying goofy foreign names on national television.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Recover from the psychological trauma that is Mark Jackson commentating on NBA games.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Nobody wants Nosferatu to have a reason to come at them.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

nachos posted:

i hated shaq with a PASSION after he left orlando right up until he retired. his retirement press conference owned so hard and i love watching highlights of him and his off court (and a lot of times on court) antics now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm going to watch dingers and pretend to care about soccer out of jingoism.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If that were me instead of a competitive professional basketball player, I would have immediately checked myself out of the game and retired the second the clock hit 0:0.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm going to watch dingers and pretend to care about soccer out of jingoism.

Pro-tier jingoism is actively rooting against the United States to decrease the chances that you'll have to ever hear anything about soccer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

nachos posted:

I don't even think it'll take that long. Look at Kobe over the last few years.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Ginobili Dunk Face is the most terrifying mask of aggression ever witnessed in the NBA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

Important Summer Basketball Dates

NBA Draft: June 26th
Free Agency: July 1st (Players can't sign until July 8th)
NBA Summer League in Orlando: July 5-July 11th
NBA Summer League in Vegas: July 11th-July 21th
Basketball World Cup: August 30th-September 14th

I was so proud of America on July 4th two years ago when they destroyed the hearts of Canadian fans and Nash moved to the Lakers and look what that ill-pleasure has brought.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

I think the latter. He's been doing the second round for a few years (MISS YOU RUSS :love: ) so he's had plenty of experience saying goofy foreign names on national television.

Ah so he's the creepy ghoul that takes over for smug Stern in the NBA2K draft cut scenes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Pro-tier jingoism is actively rooting against the United States to decrease the chances that you'll have to ever hear anything about soccer.

All just a warm-up to the True World Cup in August when the United States once again proves its global supremacy by literally dunking on the entire planet.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Ginobili Dunk Face is the most terrifying mask of aggression ever witnessed in the NBA.

I've never had a signature, but I would make that my signature if I were the type to have one.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

All just a warm-up to the True World Cup in August when the United States once again proves its global supremacy by literally dunking on the entire planet.

Is Deng carrying the British team this year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BggadE8nhQk

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Spacebump posted:

Important Summer Basketball Dates

NBA Draft: June 26th
Free Agency: July 1st (Players can't sign until July 8th)
NBA Summer League in Orlando: July 5-July 11th
NBA Summer League in Vegas: July 11th-July 21th
Basketball World Cup: August 30th-September 14th

Not quite as important, but I think Melo is supposed to make his decision on opting out by June 23.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nachos posted:

The fact that like and dislike of Lebron seems to go down racial lines, and the thing where people act like Michael Jordan is their dad and the worry of someone being compared to him (even though people rarely actually compares him to MJ in real life) requires massive histrionics, makes me less optimistic of this than you.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Declan MacManus posted:

maybe it'll be like the NFL um two seasons ago? when the real refs came back to quickly canceled applause

ZenVulgarity posted:

Old Manu styling was the highlight of the series for me imo

R.D. Mangles posted:

it was so darn cool. westbrookian but moreso because everything counts more when it's in the finals on the way to a victory.

Haha the whole downhill on that play was incredible, he gets a running start and then it unfolds like a pile of bricks falling off a ledge (onto Chris Bosh's face I guess), and it's in the center of crazy streak of leaning manu layups and that Easy three immediately after, here's his Six FGM: http://on.nba.com/1y742HW

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Pretty happy two successful organizations played each other and the one with 4 titles won its 5th and kept the one with 3 titles from winning its 4th.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

More importantly Pat Riley looks dumb for filing a 3-peat trademark

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

Is Deng carrying the British team this year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BggadE8nhQk

Britain isn't in the World Championships because they are poo poo, but I just checked and he plans to play in Eurobasket qualifiers this summer if he can get a contract settled (come home, Lu!)

But, most importantly, this is the most important Deng-related British basketball link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Sgm0rOpaU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Captain Tolerable posted:

More importantly Pat Riley looks dumb for filing a 3-peat trademark

1. How can you even trademark "3-peat?"
2. Didn't the Lakers already do that?

e: hahaha I just checked Wikipedia and it was apparently Riley who owns the "three-peat" trademark after getting it while Lakers coach. The dude is literally Basketball Gordon Gekko.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 16, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

c'mon son

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...rts-memorabilia

quote:

The Heat president owns four trademarks to the varying versions of the phrase "Three-Peat."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

He trademarked it back in the 80, after the Lakers won in 87 and 88, so he could make a lot of money from merchandise when they won in 89 (which they didn't) ( :( )

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm sure Riley doesn't care when the checks roll in, but him owning that phrase while never actually accomplishing it is really great and amusing and in conclusion gently caress pat riley for trying to ruin the nba.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

nachos posted:

Hah even on ESPN the narrative on LeBron is already "why is the narrative on LeBron so bad he's great" it's a strange new world of cable complaining about twitter (fans in general)'s responsibility for narratives AND vice versa

well when they're not re-airing the "Not one! Not two!" clip (also i think like 1/10th of the basketball watching world simultaneously made an "okay two" joke last night). The only reason people have to hate him is that he's always beating their team. San Antonio probably hates him less already. And there's so many cameras on LeBron all the time I don't think he'd have gotten away with half the awful stuff Jordan apparently did on the regular outside the game.

Or even in the game? Jordan fouled Malone, practically grabbed his dick clean off his body on the steal before the Russell push but nobody had DVR :colbert:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shear Modulus posted:

e: hahaha I just checked Wikipedia and it was apparently Riley who owns the "three-peat" trademark after getting it while Lakers coach. The dude is literally Basketball Gordon Gekko.

The best part is he stole it from a player on the Lakers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This dude was going around trying to get British people to care about British Basketball when they were allowed to play in the Olympics and I like his style and want his shirt.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
A bunch of my British friends really like basketball because it's sort of like soccer. Lots of action and athleticism. They only seem to hate football.

grapesmoker
Apr 19, 2003

This moon-cheese will make me very rich... very rich indeed!

EvanTH posted:

Or even in the game? Jordan fouled Malone, practically grabbed his dick clean off his body on the steal before the Russell push but nobody had DVR :colbert:

If Jordan had shanked an opponent on the court the narrative would probably be all about how driven he was to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

so um, as a Cavs fan, am I putting too much into focusing on the off season? or should I be paying close attention?

I hear Mark Price is getting a 2nd interview. :unsmith:.

• Locked thread