Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Cataphract posted:

youtube.com/axisofawesome
axisofawesome.com

Aaron Dembski Bowden is a fan if that counts for anything.

we're in Edinburgh for the first three weeks of August and then a week off (when I'm planning to go to warhammer world and then probably hang out with some pals in London) and then a week in Germany and then an extensive tour around the UK (dates are on the website).

So yeah, if folks are keen to come to warhammer world around the 26th-29th of September, I'm keen. Otherwise if you're near any of the stops on my tour and want to come to the show and grab a beer after I can definitely throw you comps. I'm not sure about games during the tour as we will be in a different city each night so it might be a bit of a stretch but hey... i won't totally rule it out.

Holy gently caress, I never knew this band included goons.

If you're around in London with nowt to do on a Thurs, I'll give you a game down in Clapham. We've got a pretty chill club there, full of non-insane people who remember to wash. We play in a room above a pub. And there's a happy hour.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Scowny posted:

If it helps, I know the staff of the GW in Leeds really well? Also The Wardrobe is an incredible venue, I am definitely gonna get back for that.

Also a goontrip to Warhammer World might be cool, it'd inspire to finish off my Praetorians.

I'm up for Leeds poo poo, defo.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I love AoA - if you end up coming to London give us a heads up. I can travel for a goon meet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
"Oh cool, SRM's painting Space Hulk. I can't wait what to see what he does with the great figures in this modern, beautiful game!"

Nah, not that one.

"Oh, maybe he's converting his own and using Zone Mortalis stuff and cool kitbashes?"

Nah, that actually sounds kind of difficult.

"Uhhh...."

What how would I even

Now this, this is more what we're talking about :

Yeah, more like that. My dad got that box when it first came out and I wasn't even born yet. I put the Genestealers and Terminators together (badly) when I was maybe 9 years old, and used them in my weird homebrew games from then on. Well, after painting so many retro Ultramarines I decided it'd be nice to have a little palette cleanser. I realized I hadn't painted xenos in years, and I had these models lying around, so why not? For starters, I painted the first 10 Genestealers:

I didn't take the same time or care I'd put into my Ultramarines, and it was a really wash+drybrush heavy scheme. It was kind of refreshing to crank out 10 models in just a few painting sessions instead of it being a weeks long affair!

Now, some of you might be wondering: What about the Terminators? Well, the Terminators in the actual box set got cannibalized into various armies, including some quite old Crimson Fists:

I don't have the heart to strip those guys really, and I've actually got some quite nice 2nd edition Imperial/Crimson Fists arms I'll be using on 2nd ed Terminators instead:

I think I'll be painting up a few of these boys next (I can't quit you, Space Marines) before moving on to round 2 of the Genestealers. I might have some other things in mind to bring the game up to date (Broodlord, Librarian, etc) but we'll get to that when we get to that...

Also, for anyone wondering, here's where the bases are from: http://www.champindustries.net/orders_b.html I think I saw them (or something REALLY close to them) at Historicon years and years ago, and it was pretty cool to find out they were plastic and only 30 cents a pop!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Hyped about looted wagons because while in the last codex they were trash they have the potential do be AMAZING if GW wants to make them as such.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CyberLord XP posted:

Hyped about looted wagons because while in the last codex they were trash they have the potential do be AMAZING if GW wants to make them as such.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is there any sensible way to have a free-for-all with three players? It seems like we would be better off having 2-on-1 games with each side having the same total points to work with. My brother and his friend want to play some 40k, but I'm the one who knows the rules and has all the actual 40k stuff, so my options are awkward 3 player games or they play while I act as ref.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
"Unit Composition: 1 Gorkanaught"

37 points seems so specific that it has to be a typo.

Loving the reference to the Orks Vehicle Equipment list though. Indicates there's probably an infantry list allowing us to kit nobs out like the 3rd ed codex.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Dear traveler from the future how long were you going to keep this wisdom from me? Please post the rest of the codex TIA.

Kind of a meh vehicle, but at least the points price for killkannons and rokkits was cut in half (rightfully so). Is the codex really coming out on the 21st? I don't see it up for preorder.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I love that Mek. Totally putting him on a 40mm base and calling him a Big Mek. He looks too big for that infantry base anyway.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Daedleh posted:

"Unit Composition: 1 Gorkanaught"

37 points seems so specific that it has to be a typo.

Loving the reference to the Orks Vehicle Equipment list though. Indicates there's probably an infantry list allowing us to kit nobs out like the 3rd ed codex.

It's probably 37 to accommodate some gear options that are 1/2/3 points that way you come out with a nice even number in the end. Also every "new" codex has had equipment lists both for vehicles and infantry. That's how they handle army wide equipment instead of listing every gear option on every unit entry over and over again.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Is there any sensible way to have a free-for-all with three players? It seems like we would be better off having 2-on-1 games with each side having the same total points to work with. My brother and his friend want to play some 40k, but I'm the one who knows the rules and has all the actual 40k stuff, so my options are awkward 3 player games or they play while I act as ref.

The best way to do it is 2v1, 2k pts vs. 1k/1k or whatever points variation you like. You also have to split the 2 player teams FOC though, or double up the 2k player's (if you have enough models to double FOC). Otherwise the single man will end up at a pretty big disadvantage when the other side rolls out like 12 Troops or 6 Heavy options.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 17, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

I have to say I am loving that point costs seem to be less crazy for upgrades. I could really see throwing extra rokkits into more units now if they are only 5pts each.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
poo poo, those look like good models. I am going to pick a few up I guess. Not that I need any more Meks or Docs.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
67 point killcannon. That is a lot of dakka for a very low price.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, I don't even mind that it will fall apart to a stiff breeze. That being said it may have a hard time competing in the heavy slot with battlewagons and mek guns (and maybe flash gitz).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CyberLord XP posted:

Yeah, I don't even mind that it will fall apart to a stiff breeze. That being said it may have a hard time competing in the heavy slot with battlewagons and mek guns (and maybe flash gitz).

Yeah, but Unbound is kind of a cool thing for that. Orky Seej Kompany with tons of mek guns and gunwagons :orks:

Also that Looted Wagon looks like it's just a Battlewagon turret sprue, Leman Russ sprue, and some sundry other bitz.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hmm... 37 is certainly an unusual points cost with GW's usual love of multiples of 5.

I'm wondering if 'Ardcase will add to the armour values, 11 front seems low for a looted Russ.

I am ensaddened at the loss of the Boom Gun, though maybe this means Killcannons are getting buffed. I also note that Killcannon doesn't make it smaller.

10pt Deffrolla is nice but makes me worried about how much it's been nerfed.

Also, does 'White Dwarf Exclusive' mean that it's not actually going to be in the Codex? I don't recall that stamp being on the other previews.

For the other minis, I like the Mek, but am undecided on the Dok. I like some of the ideas but find the overall look disjointed and messy in a not-good way. Also GW needs telling that sword legs are never a good idea.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zark the Damned posted:

Also, does 'White Dwarf Exclusive' mean that it's not actually going to be in the Codex?

Welcome to 2e.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't know... consider the following weird point costs:

Fire Dragon: 22 points
Warp Spider: 19 points
Dire Avenger: 13 points
Dark Reaper: 37 points
Guardian: 9 points
Jetbike: 17 points

Really it's a goddamn miracle that anyone can make an even Eldar army with all these prime numbers.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
In all my years of playing I could never figure out if there is a reference table or some equation they use to figure out point costs from equipment, skills, stats, etc or if they just randomly choose numbers that sound good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Strangely for I think the last ten years or so they've pretty much stayed pretty close to 3rd edition point cost. I think in 2nd edition Space Marines were 20 points.

I call it the Space Marine Equivalent scale and I'm not joking when I say they just use loving made up numbers nothing has any rhyme or reason with them when it comesto point values.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Slimnoid posted:

On the other hand, having a 1/6 chance of having to go Flat Out instead of shooting sounds just awful, so I guess it remains to be seen how useful it'll be.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unfortunately, 3-person games just don't really work in 40k. If you're teaching new players, have them duke it out themselves while you ref/coach.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the other hand, having a 1/6 chance of having to go Flat Out instead of shooting sounds just awful, so I guess it remains to be seen how useful it'll be.
That's not a new rule, it's just part of the fun. :orks101:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You can get a Deff Rolla transport for about 50 points, which, depending on how the Deff Rolla functions, might be alright. Importantly, since "Don't Press Dat" happens in shooting instead of at the start of the turn, the Looted Wagon is a lot more solid as a transport - you can unload your guys and run stuff over, instead of careening straight ahead. I guess just don't load it full of units that you want to Snap Fire with, and be cautious with the Killkannon - most of the time, it'll just be a hassle if it goes off when you wanted to sit on an objective or hide behind cover on turn 1 or 2.

Plus, 210 points for 3 S7 AP3 Ordnance Large Blasts (if Killkannons are the same) isn't that bad, even with the short range.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I like free-for all games, and you can do them with 3 people, but you'll need to balance the terrain and objectives so people don't get hosed too badly. My group of friends has tried a few variations:
  • 'King of the hill'- One objective in the middle, if you're HQ isn't within 12" of the objective by turn 2 you loose the game, roll as usual and choose which table edge you start on
  • 'Triangle'- deployment like this, with 3 objectives
  • 'Snake'- each player gets 2 little deployment zones, like this

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

FFA is kinda dumb in almost every game but if you implement a sort of "Only score from the person on your left" rule it works out a lot better, means you've got one person to attack and one to defend from and it discourages the terrible politics of FFA a little.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

HOPE SHINES GREEN, MOTHERFUCKERS. I am pumped as poo poo for this release now. I have an old Tamiya tank model that's going to see some action soon.

e: Not really digging the design or the :smug: on the Painboy, though.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 17, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Holy poo poo, that painboy is like 2nd edition ugly.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Karandras posted:

FFA is kinda dumb in almost every game but if you implement a sort of "Only score from the person on your left" rule it works out a lot better, means you've got one person to attack and one to defend from and it discourages the terrible politics of FFA a little.

I like FFA, its a fun change of pace. If your friends can't handle poo poo talking I can see it being a bad game mode (or just get better friends)

I might try your idea though, sounds a bit neat

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Ignite Memories posted:

Holy poo poo, that painboy is like 2nd edition ugly.

I REALLY hope they don't start trying for "retro" sculpting styles. I mean, stuff like SRM's marines are cool, no doubt, but poo poo like the limited edition marine captain and other throwback style models look awful.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
In that case, I'll probably just ref the two of them while they learn, which will give all of us more experience with the rules. Later on, we'll try some FFA's when we just feel like rolling dice and playing "Space Cowboys & Indians".

"You're dead!"
"Nuh-uh, my foot's behind this tree, so I get a cover save!"
"Well--- My gun ignores cover now."

Edit: Oh, THAT'S how GW writes the rules.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Uh, did Looted Wagons get Deffrollas before? 'Cause that seems hilariously painful with how cheap the drat things are. Space harvesters running little mans over erryday.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The blood spice must flow

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

I like FFA, its a fun change of pace. If your friends can't handle poo poo talking I can see it being a bad game mode (or just get better friends)

I might try your idea though, sounds a bit neat

It's not so much poo poo talking but that half the time it ends up being 2v1 and someone sits out. Having to defend your objective from one guy whilst attacking the other stops a single dude getting man-piled by both players early, though good terrain and deployment can also help it.

Multiplayer games are good but true FFA often makes it way more the meta-game of getting your opponent to attack your other opponent rather than, you know, the game of 40k. If you constantly play tall-poppy though and focus on whoever is winning and change when they stop winning it can be good though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Drake_263 posted:

Uh, did Looted Wagons get Deffrollas before? 'Cause that seems hilariously painful with how cheap the drat things are. Space harvesters running little mans over erryday.

That's not a bad conversion idea:

I made my dad buy me so many John Deere toys when he would take me with him to get parts when I was little :3:

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 17, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Deffrollas? Go old skool:

e:

I kinda prefer the less cartoony look myself:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 17, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Reynold posted:

I REALLY hope they don't start trying for "retro" sculpting styles. I mean, stuff like SRM's marines are cool, no doubt, but poo poo like the limited edition marine captain and other throwback style models look awful.
I think the throwback models are generally pretty cool. The Flash Gitz are all throwbacks to the old Freebootaz, and Kaptin Badrukk is a reimagining of an old conversion:

That being said, I don't really see what's retro about the painboy aside from maybe the size of his klaw. It's probably a much more 3-dimensional model than we're imagining, since we haven't seen more pictures of it yet. Once there's a 360 view and all the other GW website bits and bobs it'll probably look a bit more fleshed out.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
:siren: GW Price whinge :siren:

Ork Mek - US$21 - AU$23

Ork Painboy - US$26 - US$28

Codex: Orks - US$49.50 - AU$83

WTF?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

starkebn posted:

:siren: GW Price whinge :siren:

Ork Mek - US$21 - AU$23

Ork Painboy - US$26 - US$28

Codex: Orks - US$49.50 - AU$83

WTF?

That is so painfully arbitrary I don't even know where to begin. I mean good lord, a US Codex is worth 2 Painboyz but an Australian Codex is worth 3? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

That's not a bad conversion idea:

I made my dad buy me so many John Deere toys when he would take me with him to get parts when I was little :3:

My younger brother plays Orks and he converted his own Deffrolla - basically he took a bunch of sprue bits the right length and made them into two interlocking cylinders, covered them in spare choppas and other spiky bitz, attached the whole thing to the front of his Battlewagon with a couple spare killa kan arm bitz and painted the whole thing a blood-spackled blue. Looks like his Mek saw a big harvester and got AN IDEA.

Unrelated, I'm finally heading out to pick up the Knight I ordered in. I'm planning on painting it the most :suicide: color scheme ever and want to try going with white marble with silver or gold accents over a gray superstructure - basically like the GW 'White Warden' freeblade with a little more focus color on it. Anybody wouldn't happen to have a good tutorial handy on how to paint big flat areas marble without wanting to actually blow my brains all over the ceiling?

• Locked thread