Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It claims to have 250 all-new puzzles, although the Bowser in the trailer was definitely a repeat.

It has different environment skins, a couple new puzzle block types, and it looks like puzzles can be bigger than the max size of 3DS stages, or at least that's how it looked to me watching both the trailer and the footage on Nintendo Treehouse. We all need to get it and share puzzles.

Also Shovel Knight and Shantae and Guacamalee should be cool. This is a pretty bad summer for Wii U, despite how rad their E3 was, but there are high quality indie titles populating this season. Guacamelee is a special edition with new content, Shantae is a brand new game that apparently is twice as large as Shantae 2 according to Wayforward and now has Metroid map system, and Shovel Knight.. I hope it's cool, because I support everything with Virt music.

e: Actually the Pushmo World trailer only shows small level design but in the Treehouse they played a 32x32 level and the Treehouse rep said there were larger levels than that, and I think 32x32 is the max on original Pushmo.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

bumble posted:

I'm also getting that error.

poo poo, I was planning on buying one today too. :ohdear:

I just got one. The lady on the phone told me to try in a couple hours, and it went through for me.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

You want RCA to VGA, not VGA to RCA. Basically you want something with a Yellow RCA IN, and a VGA OUT. Honestly for the cost of the converter and cables you will need you could probably buy a lovely old CRT off craigslist. It'll be less technical to set up as well.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
So, I just beat Bopopolis after losing 70 lives, give or take, which was incredibly satisfying. I then proceeded to gold-medal/no-hit run Bopopolis in one try, and it felt so, so good.

On that note, I have a whole bunch of goons on my friends list and yet only one person on my friends leaderboards for DKC????

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also Shovel Knight and Shantae and Guacamalee should be cool. This is a pretty bad summer for Wii U, despite how rad their E3 was, but there are high quality indie titles populating this season. Guacamelee is a special edition with new content, Shantae is a brand new game that apparently is twice as large as Shantae 2 according to Wayforward and now has Metroid map system, and Shovel Knight.. I hope it's cool, because I support everything with Virt music.

Hey, this is really cool. I had no idea Guacamelee was a special edition on the Wii U. I saw the PC version LPed and it looked really cool. I hope that we see more indie titles like these that are really polished and well done.

Fremry posted:

I just got one. The lady on the phone told me to try in a couple hours, and it went through for me.

That's good to hear! So I guess Nintendo is not out of refurbished models after all? Maybe they were just getting too many orders at once.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Has anyone noticed a shortage of the Mario Kart bundle in the past few days? I've been considering grabbing one up but they've been selling out everywhere. I found one in a nearby Walmart and I'm considering pulling the trigger. Does anyone know if they plan on continuing to issue the bundle or if it's a one-time thing?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Ultigonio posted:

On that note, I have a whole bunch of goons on my friends list and yet only one person on my friends leaderboards for DKC????

For the new OP, would people think it's a good idea to maintain some sort of google doc/spreadsheet of people's NNIDs and games like MarioKart 8 where they'd be willing to play multiplayer with strangers on the internet...? It sounds like it'd certainly be an undertaking (although maybe there'd be some sort of questionnaire/form solution to make it easier to manage?), but there are losers out there (like me :( ) that only have friends with Playstation and Xbox systems and who would still like to play multiplayer. I know the Goonvitational League exists currently for MarioKart, but it seems to be dying off as we've gotten further away from the release date.

Ultigonio, I quoted your post because it made me think of it, and because you're the brave goon making the new op!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
As mentioned you'd need the other way around, so something like this one for video (although some of the reviews mentioning euro power adapters concerns me…but it's the cheapest Prime one for an easy return if necessary).

For the audio it depends on the speakers. That one will work to plug directly if the speakers have a port on them for input like that (although make sure the cable is long enough for the setup). If they already have a male minijack cable to plug into a PC you can use this adapter to hook that up to the GC's cable.

Niemat posted:

For the new OP, would people think it's a good idea to maintain some sort of google doc/spreadsheet of people's NNIDs and games like MarioKart 8 where they'd be willing to play multiplayer with strangers on the internet...? It sounds like it'd certainly be an undertaking (although maybe there'd be some sort of questionnaire/form solution to make it easier to manage?), but there are losers out there (like me :( ) that only have friends with Playstation and Xbox systems and who would still like to play multiplayer. I know the Goonvitational League exists currently for MarioKart, but it seems to be dying off as we've gotten further away from the release date.

Ultigonio, I quoted your post because it made me think of it, and because you're the brave goon making the new op!
Yeah you can make a simple form for that kind of thing. Only issue is if people mess up their entries or need to change something, the only way to do that is to leave the spreadsheet editable by everyone. Minor cause most people aren't assholes, but it's something to be wary about. You can lock it down but then it's up to the creator (and anyone manually assigned as editors) to maintain it. Or worst case leave the table sorting by newest and people can just tack on new entries if necessary and hope people ignore their old ones. efb by a long shot :v:

japtor fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 16, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Niemat posted:

I believe that JordanKai's NNID thread should have that stuff covered. I'll be sure to link it in the new OP.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

CatsPajamas posted:

That's good to hear! So I guess Nintendo is not out of refurbished models after all? Maybe they were just getting too many orders at once.

They weren't actually out. When I called, the lady said they had 12 in stock and they get more every 24-48 hours. My gut instinct is that people put them in their carts but didn't actually buy them, so the inventory on the user side was that there were none available, but the inventory on the customer service side was 12, and maybe after a couple of hours the hold expired and they became available on the customer side again.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I just picked one up too. Crisis averted!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ultigonio posted:

So, I just beat Bopopolis after losing 70 lives, give or take, which was incredibly satisfying. I then proceeded to gold-medal/no-hit run Bopopolis in one try, and it felt so, so good.

I don't think Tropical Freeze sold very well even for a WiiU game, and that sucks because it's phenomenal.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Ultigonio posted:

I believe that JordanKai's NNID thread should have that stuff covered. I'll be sure to link it in the new OP.

Fantastic! That's pretty much exactly what I was talking about! I had a hard time believing something like that hadn't already been done, but I hadn't come across anything, so I just assumed it was probably a bitch of a thing to compile. Glad to know someone is fighting the good fight, and it would definitely be a good link to include in the new OP!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Wild Knight posted:

I know, I have one, and I tried both Toshiba and Microsoft stacks but neither of them worked, can't even get my phone to connect let alone a controller. :shrug:

Sonel posted:

If you really want to use the controller on your PC I suggest buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Just plug it in, run the software and it will work flawlessly. Their is a switch on the side that you can use for directinput or Xinput and have it be recognized as a 360 controller. I use it for games where I prefer a better D-pad than the 360 like Injustice or Broforce. The only downside is the receiver is a little bit bigger than I wanted it to be.

I double secret probation concur on this. It took me tons of fiddling with the way Windows 8 (gently caress you Microsoft) handles blutoooth poo poo to get it to even read the controller and when it did the gently caress arounds with xinput would never work right. This dongle works perfect. Just plug in and go. Maybe gently caress around with the xinput bar if you want A to actually be A and such but beyond that you're good to go. And to answer the fella from before, I prefer this over my 360 pad because of the better Dpad and I like the stick placement better. I also agree it being the perfect pad for Injustice as your Dpad and buttons are right there in easy reach together. Shame the WiiU version never got full DLC but I can still play it with the Pro Controller on PC.

Random Stranger posted:

It's very cool but you're getting a copy with Bayonetta 2. Wait and play it then.

If you really want to play a game that's similar, get Wonderful 101. They're really close in style.

This. Wonderful 101 is amazing, my favorite game of last year and very very Bayonetta in a lot of places.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

japtor posted:

As mentioned you'd need the other way around, so something like this one for video (although some of the reviews mentioning euro power adapters concerns me…but it's the cheapest Prime one for an easy return if necessary).

For the audio it depends on the speakers. That one will work to plug directly if the speakers have a port on them for input like that (although make sure the cable is long enough for the setup). If they already have a male minijack cable to plug into a PC you can use this adapter to hook that up to the GC's cable.

Yeah you can make a simple form for that kind of thing. Only issue is if people mess up their entries or need to change something, the only way to do that is to leave the spreadsheet editable by everyone. Minor cause most people aren't assholes, but it's something to be wary about. You can lock it down but then it's up to the creator (and anyone manually assigned as editors) to maintain it. Or worst case leave the table sorting by newest and people can just tack on new entries if necessary and hope people ignore their old ones. efb by a long shot :v:

Just so I'm not disappointed later and lambasted, would these speakers work with the adapter I bought? Logic is telling me yes, but, hey. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000417-Speakers-Z130/dp/B003CP0OT2/ref=pd_ybh_5

Also, thanks for all your help. It's totally appreciated in ways I can't describe.

e: Ended up buying this one off eBay. The price difference is okay enough for me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310981512168

e2: It looks like I'd need your adapter to use the z130 since it's a laptop-geared speaker set and wants you to plug into the computer. I'm assuming with this adapter, I'll also be able to plug in some headphones every now and again.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 16, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Since I finally broke down and bought a Wii U, and I never owned a Wii, what are the must have Wii games that I should catch up on?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Is there any way to transfer the Digital Download Reward points? I assume no, but figured I’d ask. My wife and I got the MK8 bundle recently and she redeemed the system and the free download (NSMBU) on her account. Then I went and bought someone else’s download code on eBay for WWHD and used it on my account without thinking, and now I have 499 useless points on my account. Doh!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fremry posted:

Since I finally broke down and bought a Wii U, and I never owned a Wii, what are the must have Wii games that I should catch up on?

Both Mario Galaxy games are a good start.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

poopzilla posted:

Is there any way to transfer the Digital Download Reward points? I assume no, but figured I’d ask. My wife and I got the MK8 bundle recently and she redeemed the system and the free download (NSMBU) on her account. Then I went and bought someone else’s download code on eBay for WWHD and used it on my account without thinking, and now I have 499 useless points on my account. Doh!

No way to transfer points. Your best bet is to find something to push it up to 500 and redeem that for a $5 code.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Fremry posted:

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are probably where you want to start.

If you like lightgun stuff I'd also suggest the Dead Space lightgun game. Avoid the Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles titles, everything feels bullet spongy with weird hitboxes.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

No way to transfer points. Your best bet is to find something to push it up to 500 and redeem that for a $5 code.

Yeah, thats what I figured. Oh well, thanks. I guess I have an excuse to buy another game :v:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fremry posted:

I enjoyed Super Paper Mario but I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Like other people have said the Galaxy games are pretty good and I personally enjoyed No More Heroes as well.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Sonel posted:

If you really want to use the controller on your PC I suggest buying one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Just plug it in, run the software and it will work flawlessly. Their is a switch on the side that you can use for directinput or Xinput and have it be recognized as a 360 controller. I use it for games where I prefer a better D-pad than the 360 like Injustice or Broforce. The only downside is the receiver is a little bit bigger than I wanted it to be.

Commissar Ken posted:

I double secret probation concur on this. It took me tons of fiddling with the way Windows 8 (gently caress you Microsoft) handles blutoooth poo poo to get it to even read the controller and when it did the gently caress arounds with xinput would never work right. This dongle works perfect. Just plug in and go. Maybe gently caress around with the xinput bar if you want A to actually be A and such but beyond that you're good to go. And to answer the fella from before, I prefer this over my 360 pad because of the better Dpad and I like the stick placement better. I also agree it being the perfect pad for Injustice as your Dpad and buttons are right there in easy reach together. Shame the WiiU version never got full DLC but I can still play it with the Pro Controller on PC.

Hm. That does look enticing, it's just not just the Wii U pro controller I've had a problem with, I need to figure out how to get bluetooth working on my desktop at all. I'll put this on my wishlist, though. Thanks for the tip!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I remember when I first got to play the Mario Galaxy demo at Gamestop, my mouth hung open at the level design. It's such a creative drat game. Both are. Get them!!!!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fremry posted:

Definitely both Mario Galaxy games. In addition, Xenoblade Chronicles times loving a thousand. It is A Good Game.

If you have no way to play Okami (There's an HD version of it on PSN.), get that. It's basically Zelda in Japan. Speaking of Zelda, there were a couple of those on the Wii, and they weren't bad.

There's also the Metroid Prime Trilogy, if you didn't play those on Gamecube and you can find it for a reasonable price. Oh, and Pikmin. Pikmin 1 and 2 were re-released on Wii with Wiimote and nunchuck controls.

Oh! And Donkey Kong Country Returns, if you don't have it on the 3DS.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Wild Knight posted:

Hm. That does look enticing, it's just not just the Wii U pro controller I've had a problem with, I need to figure out how to get bluetooth working on my desktop at all. I'll put this on my wishlist, though. Thanks for the tip!

Trying to get your WiiU Pro to work with the PC is a massive pain in the rear end. I got the bluetooth dongle, got the toshiba stacks to work correctly and got it to connect, but it never worked in any games. The program that you get to take the inputs to pass along to XInput just overrides XInput when you run your game, so the buttons and axes are all hosed up. Later when I have some money, I'll probably just get an adapter.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Natron posted:

Trying to get your WiiU Pro to work with the PC is a massive pain in the rear end. I got the bluetooth dongle, got the toshiba stacks to work correctly and got it to connect, but it never worked in any games. The program that you get to take the inputs to pass along to XInput just overrides XInput when you run your game, so the buttons and axes are all hosed up. Later when I have some money, I'll probably just get an adapter.

Is there a reason why no one can make the Pro controller work easily with Windows like the Dualshock 4 can? It's great that dongle is an option but it would be nice to have a solution without having to buy some thing.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Niemat posted:

I know the Goonvitational League exists currently for MarioKart, but it seems to be dying off as we've gotten further away from the release date.

It's dying off because something in the netcode broke after the first couple of weeks and now it keeps putting people in their own individual empty rooms instead of together. No idea when this will be fixed or if Nintendo is even aware of it :smith:

If someone in your friends list is already in a tournament race then you can join them that way, but if not then you're probably out of luck.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kirby: Return to Dreamland's a pretty good Wii game! All three Trauma Series games (Trauma Center: Second Opinion, TC: New Blood and Trauma Team) are excellent and make great use of the Wii's motion controls, and Punch Out's remake is fantastic as well!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fremry posted:

Okay, let's get the obvious, "Everything published by Nintendo except Other M," out of the way. I'll just point out to not overlook ExciteTruck, ExciteBots, Sin and Punishment, and Fatal Frame 2 (if you're in Europe).

Now that we've got that out of the way, third party games published for the Wii that were awesome include the No More Heroes series, Red Steel 2 (but not 1), Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Little King Story, and De Blob. The Wii had some excellent light gun games in Dead Space, Resident Evil Chronicles, Ghost Squad, and House of the Dead. There's some interesting second tier stuff that might not be to everyone's taste in Lost in Shadow, Mad World, and Cursed Mountain.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Fremry posted:

As a huge Kirby fan, I really enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn and the Anniversary collection. I've also dumped a lot of time into Mario Kart Wii, but since you have a Wii U just get MK8.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, let's get the obvious, "Everything published by Nintendo except Other M," out of the way. I'll just point out to not overlook ExciteTruck, ExciteBots, Sin and Punishment, and Fatal Frame 2 (if you're in Europe).

Now that we've got that out of the way, third party games published for the Wii that were awesome include the No More Heroes series, Red Steel 2 (but not 1), Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Little King Story, and De Blob. The Wii had some excellent light gun games in Dead Space, Resident Evil Chronicles, Ghost Squad, and House of the Dead. There's some interesting second tier stuff that might not be to everyone's taste in Lost in Shadow, Mad World, and Cursed Mountain.

Mad World is amazing and underrated as hell.

:thumbsup:

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Suaimhneas posted:

It's dying off because something in the netcode broke after the first couple of weeks and now it keeps putting people in their own individual empty rooms instead of together. No idea when this will be fixed or if Nintendo is even aware of it :smith:

If someone in your friends list is already in a tournament race then you can join them that way, but if not then you're probably out of luck.

:smith: That's lovely. I was having a blast playing with everyone online, so I really hope they get it fixed.

I just added everyone I could from the spreadsheet JordanKai compiled, so maybe I can get into some races again... How do I tell if someone in my friends list is in a room with others?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Silver Falcon posted:

Definitely both Mario Galaxy games. In addition, Xenoblade Chronicles times loving a thousand. It is A Good Game.

If you have no way to play Okami (There's an HD version of it on PSN.), get that. It's basically Zelda in Japan. Speaking of Zelda, there were a couple of those on the Wii, and they weren't bad.

There's also the Metroid Prime Trilogy, if you didn't play those on Gamecube and you can find it for a reasonable price. Oh, and Pikmin. Pikmin 1 and 2 were re-released on Wii with Wiimote and nunchuck controls.

MPT I think got rereleased through Gamestop A la Xenoblade, so it should be a bit more affordable as of late. Pikmin 1 & 2 have gotten kind of rare lately though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Nobody ever mentions Zack and Wiki when the Wii Games to Grab is trotted out, but I thought it was fun little puzzle game. Caveat: it has a lot of /!\ TRIGGER WARNING /!\ motion controls.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Niemat posted:

:smith: That's lovely. I was having a blast playing with everyone online, so I really hope they get it fixed.

I just added everyone I could from the spreadsheet JordanKai compiled, so maybe I can get into some races again... How do I tell if someone in my friends list is in a room with others?

Pick the online option and then "friends and rivals". It'll show you a list of everyone in your friends list and also anyone you've raced with recently. Anyone who's in a race will have a chequered flag icon next to their name. You can choose to join them and if they're in a tournament it'll tell you the tournament's name before you join.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Random Stranger posted:

This is the list. Only things i'd include is to really take a good look at Punchout for the Wii as it always seems like a Nintendo published game that doesn't get brought up too much (although yeah, more than Excite Truck or Sin and Punishment) but it's awesome as hell. Also i'd add the Silent Hill 1 retelling/reimagining 'Silent Hill: Shattered Memories' as it did some interesting poo poo and at the very least was worth being around for letting you call Konami technical support from your cell phone, to which their automated system replies that they can tell you're calling from Silent Hill and you are beyond even their help.

oddium posted:

Nobody ever mentions Zack and Wiki when the Wii Games to Grab is trotted out, but I thought it was fun little puzzle game. Caveat: it has a lot of /!\ TRIGGER WARNING /!\ motion controls.

Yeah, this as well. Pretty fun game but dependent on your ability to handle weapons grade amounts of cutesy anime stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

If you never played Pikmin 1 and 2 on Gamecube, the Wii ports of those were really good. Little pricey now, though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah, this as well. Pretty fun game but dependent on your ability to handle weapons grade amounts of cutesy anime stuff.

And weapons grade amounts of Capcom soundtrack references

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Acrmm6P1YI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Fremry posted:

Mario Galaxy 1+2, Metroid Prime 3, both Kirby games, Red Steel 2 (AVOID RS1 though), Fortune Street (assuming you have friends to play with) and Sonic Colors.

• Locked thread