Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Liquid (F)Lame can go gently caress itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Beat Exdeath at the end of World 2 today with White Mage, Time Mage, Ranger, and Dragoon. Say what you will about dragoon, the Lanclet move is really nice on the mages, as it keeps their MP while also doing dealing damage. Also gives a little bit of healing too..so long it not a undead enemy.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Suck it Forza! :owned:

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 16, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apkYWDwvTdM

The best part of having Blue Mage is having All the Tools needed.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Exdeath down! He kept casting Thundaga on one of my only party members wearing a Reflect Ring. Hooray luck!

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Finally beat Liquid Flame after an hour of grinding and stealing Hi-Potions and then it still took me 3 times after that

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DARPA Dad posted:

Finally beat Liquid Flame after an hour of grinding and stealing Hi-Potions and then it still took me 3 times after that

My method to beat Liquid Flame was to run both the whirlwind and hand forms out of MP, because Fira was practically a one-shot kill unless it hit a knight at full HP. Even then, maybe.

What I'm saying is that she's a jerk.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1HSc_U75U8

Final team assembled. Blue Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dancer

Nice, not a super hard team at all, but a lot of flexibility there.

And Berserker.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
It'd be more natural if thieves could be upgraded to ninjas in world 3.

Then again I can't think of what the other classes could turn into, so really it'd only be thief. Guess that isn't fair, really.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
as much as it shames me to admit, I lack the skill and/or high levels needed to kill Omega and Shinryu. After a dozen game overs screw it I'm just gonna go eat ExDeath.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Beat World 2 X-Death, drat that was a pain. Kept rev. polarizing me, kept me chugging elixers and potions. Left to Kung-Fu Kirle and 128 HP left.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

It'd be more natural if thieves could be upgraded to ninjas in world 3.

Then again I can't think of what the other classes could turn into, so really it'd only be thief. Guess that isn't fair, really.
Give Thieves Black Magic up to lvl 3, same for Knight and White Magic, let Red Mage learn Black OR White Magic up to level 5 (Or Maybe Time Magic, up to level 3?). Maybe give Monks Rapidfire? Does that work with fists? Not sure about White/Black Mage. White Wizard can wield hammers so maybe Equip Axe? And give the Black Wizard the Man-Eater, I suppose.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Ffffuck yeah, Garula down on my first try! :woop:

EDIT: After White Mage, got Summoner as my water job! This is really good, right? Any tips?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 17, 2014

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Time to wreck World 2! :black101:

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Is there any way of getting hi-potions in world 1 before the Ronkan ruins besides ! Steal? I've been beating everything so far by killing bosses well before they can kill me, but the only healing I have is regular potions and panic elixirs.

edit: ^^^ I'm potentially one crystal away from that hell :ohdear:

Hawaiian Shirt fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 16, 2014

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, I hate Gargoyles. Thankfully they suicided themselves with simultaneous Pep-ups

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrciKPmozJU

Gilgamesh! :haw:

Went for style points for the second fight.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel a bit lost - Just broke the Fire Crystal, but I don't know where to get Ranger (which I have for one of my jobs) and Bard. Where should I be heading next?

Also, any particular advice for Black Mage/Berserker/Ranger/???, I don't really see much obvious synergy but I also don't know most of the weirder exploits in this game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Go to the library, you won't get the last two Fire jobs for a bit.

Castle Exdeath just hit all four of my party members with Zombie. gently caress this boss.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Also, any particular advice for Black Mage/Berserker/Ranger/???, I don't really see much obvious synergy but I also don't know most of the weirder exploits in this game.
Get Equip Axes, put it on your Ranger, use Aim instead of Attack and never miss.

Give your Black Mage Equip Bows to get a decent physical attack.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright so Team: BlackMage/Summoner/Geomancer/Dancer wants to take on Omega.

So my main method of Damage will be Reflected Thundagas for about 8k a piece. SwordDancin only does 3~k while also being unreliable so he's out. Haste seems too good to pass up so Hermes on my guys.

My main problem so far is rocket punch's confusion. If I can't control my guys I can't stop the counter-attacks they provoke and the lack of HiPots when I need em. So I've unequipped my Dancer/Geomancer and put them on slap-out-of-it and healing roles.

code:
1 - Atomic Ray, Delta Attack, or Blaster
2 - Surge Beam
3 - Rainbow Wind, Emission, or Atomic Ray
4 - Surge Beam
5 - Two Actions in a row:
	Delta Attack, Blaster, or Surge Beam
	Maelstrom, Quake, or Rainbow Wind
6 - "Targetting" (Turns attacks against itself next turn)
7 - Rainbow Wind, Emission, or Atomic Ray
8 - Surge Beam

Counters all damaging attacks with two actions; likely Rocket Punch but can also do Mustard Bomb or Circle
I can get reflect off in time for 1, then get some pummeling in. Main problem is Encircle/Mustard Bomb, anyway of minimizing those? I was thinking of using Mirage Vest and using that glitch to keep my main damage dealer evasive. Also the fact my team is rather squishy doesn't help.

Tips/Suggestions/Help?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just got in Karnak, is it possible to walk all the way back to Castle Walse (or get there by other means before doing the Fire Ship) and is it worth it or should I do it later? I didn't kill Shiva or bought any summons and got Summoner as my water job. :downs:

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
I am amused at how many people are getting Class A/Berserker/Class B/Berserker. It's almost sort of merciful, in that it lets you have three classes to work with before you get the second 'zerk dumped onto you.

Which is what happened to me. Knight/Berserker/Summoner/Berserker! I mostly just plow into things as hard as I can before I run out of HP. I have beaten three bosses by getting a lucky hit in with my last standing party member. It is nuts. I'm on World 2 now and went and bought 99 Hi-Potions, so I'm not foreseeing much trouble with the main game... though I'm going to have to give some thought to Shinryu and Omega.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No seriously, gently caress this boss.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
While grinding to get through to Neo-Exdeath, never mind beating him, I noticed that Necromancers had Bone Mail as rare steals. Decided to grab three of 'em to outfit my entire team and make it easier to heal (albeit impossible to rez).

I got a fair few rare steals during my entire time in the void, albeit one of those hammers was the free one so drop that to 3. The Aegis Shield and Rising Sun were actually gotten back to back (while trying to get the Bone Mail). Both times.

I don't even know either.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

When released, it uses Strong Fight, which is (Attack Power * 8). Skull Eaters have 50 Attack @ 30 M, so Strong Fight is 400 Attack @ 30 M, or 12,000 damage. :v:

But yeah, to catch it, you'd need to hit it with Dark Sigh mix to Blind/Confuse it, then Goliath Tonic mix to double its HP to two, have someone at 1 HP use the TNT mix to do guaranteed 1 damage, and then !Catch it while having the Kornago Gourd equipped. Simple! :v:

You could also just hit it with Excalipoor one time to do the 1HP damage and not have to bother with TNT mix. Excalipoor always does 1 damage and never misses - it's generally the go-to weapon for Skull Eaters.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

I just got in Karnak, is it possible to walk all the way back to Castle Walse (or get there by other means before doing the Fire Ship) and is it worth it or should I do it later? I didn't kill Shiva or bought any summons and got Summoner as my water job. :downs:

Yeah, you just take the meteor warp you came from. Buy a couple of Fire Rods in Karnak to trivialize the Shiva fight.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

So I forgot to bring Echo Screens and Maiden Kisses to the final dungeon. My Zerkers died after putting up a valiant fight. Black Mage got silenced, Mystic Knight is frogged. It doesn't matter though, because...

:frogout:DEATH BY FROG!:getin:

Cara throws off the killing hit for 2.8k.

Black Mage/MK/Zerk/Zerk was a fun run. Perhaps a bit too easy since anything I couldn't power down with relentless hits, I could game through elements. I'm gonna get back on the saddle and reg for something hopefully a little tougher.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Amgard posted:

So I forgot to bring Echo Screens and Maiden Kisses to the final dungeon. My Zerkers died after putting up a valiant fight. Black Mage got silenced, Mystic Knight is frogged. It doesn't matter though, because...

:frogout:DEATH BY FROG!:getin:

Cara throws off the killing hit for 2.8k.

Black Mage/MK/Zerk/Zerk was a fun run. Perhaps a bit too easy since anything I couldn't power down with relentless hits, I could game through elements. I'm gonna get back on the saddle and reg for something hopefully a little tougher.

Beautiful, just beautiful. Possibly even funnier than Turning Demon-Emperor Paramecia into a frog.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

This was my first attack after getting the dancing dagger.

I've had harder Abductor fights, honestly.

Reverend Catharsis
Mar 10, 2010
And so the party went up against Neo Exdeath and ATE HIS DELICIOUS TREE BRAINS. FADE INTO NOTHING AND BE FORGOTTEN christ that run was harder than it should have been.

But eh, at least it's been beaten, right? :black101: glory!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So... my team is basically the embodiment of anti-magic. I need to slog through the second lithograph dungeon and the loving tower if I dare to make my monk semi-useful with kaiser knuckles.

Soliciting professional opinions, should I suck it up do this (with my Monk/Zerker/Geo/Dancer group), or should I just give my Monk equipAxe and :black101: the rest of the way?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mango sentinel posted:

I did it you guys. I got triple Berserker. I'm living the dream.

Godspeed little Blue Mage on shepherding your squad of ruthless murder men. Too bad the only healing you get requires !Control.

Still better off than the one guy with Knight and 3xBerserkers. At least I get rods and lvl5 death.

You should be able to confuse some enemies to get them to white wind you, same with Big Guard.

Dross posted:

I sure am seeing a lot of x/Berserker/x/Berserker teams.

(I'm BlaM/Ber/Ninja/Ber)

I'm Black Mage, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Berserker.

I guess I'll grab flame rings for the final fight and heal via Fire 3. Does the thornlet trick work on the SNES version of FF5? Assuming I remember where to get a Gaia Hammer without a thief.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

I sure am seeing a lot of x/Berserker/x/Berserker teams.

(I'm BlaM/Ber/Ninja/Ber)

I'm watching a stream with a guy using Black/Zerk/Bard/Zerk. I think the program just liked giving folks Berserkers in the Earth slot this year.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Goddamn, the hardest part of this game so far is getting the airship to be directly on top of the port by Crescent Island.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
goddamnit I got thief as my first job.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Capsaicin posted:

Goddamn, the hardest part of this game so far is getting the airship to be directly on top of the port by Crescent Island.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who takes a full thirty seconds to land on that spot

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Reverend Catharsis posted:

as much as it shames me to admit, I lack the skill and/or high levels needed to kill Omega and Shinryu. After a dozen game overs screw it I'm just gonna go eat ExDeath.

You... You have a Chemist. :psyduck:

Like, just follow this guide to the letter: http://www.garath.net/Sullla/FF/omegashinryuu.html

e: except instead of being dumb and attacking with Shadow Flare, land 5-6 Turtle Soup mixes and then go ham with Succubus' Kiss.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm Black Mage, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Berserker.

I guess I'll grab flame rings for the final fight and heal via Fire 3. Does the thornlet trick work on the SNES version of FF5? Assuming I remember where to get a Gaia Hammer without a thief.

High five, same-team buddy. The Thornlet trick does indeed work. And black + Rune axe was an incredibly life saver throughout the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Goddamn Archaeoaevis took a lot longer than he should've.

• Locked thread