Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Every part of my Rogers plan is grandfathered in some way, I'm going to pissed as gently caress if they start increasing the rate of various parts, this had better not be some kind of precedence. Goddammit Rogers you goddamn fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Guys, it's called inflation. Bits and bytes are getting bigger every year. Wavelengths aren't getting any cheaper either. Just be thankful to our government's hard work at promoting cellular competition, otherwise rates might be going up even higher.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Does anyone else remember when that video emerged of the "technical director" or something from Bell I think it was didn't even know what a bit was, etc.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does anyone else remember when that video emerged of the "technical director" or something from Bell I think it was didn't even know what a bit was, etc.

Dear god please find this. I must see it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Didn't he come pretty close to the "series of tubes" declaration at one point? I remember something about that, vaguely.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lexicon posted:

Sadly they've woken up to the fact that the only thing that matters now is cellular data. I've noticed Koodo has really been tightening the screws - on their newest plans, the marginal cost for data is now a shocking $5 per $250MB. It used to be $10 per 1GB.

gently caress Telus. Actually, gently caress all of them that isn't Wind.

I wish I could get wind. :(

mewse
May 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

Guys, it's called inflation. Bits and bytes are getting bigger every year. Wavelengths aren't getting any cheaper either. Just be thankful to our government's hard work at promoting cellular competition, otherwise rates might be going up even higher.

How much bigger can the bits even get before they don't fit in the wavelengths any more? It's going to be a real problem when we reach peak data

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just saw on MobileSyrup that Rogers customers with the 6GB/$30 plan from years ago are going up $5/month :( I don't get it, bandwidth is getting cheaper. gently caress you Rogers.

gently caress it. My contract's up at the end of July. I'm leaving for MTS. I don't care that they throttle you after 15GB/mo, that's still two and a half loving times what I get from Rogers and the whole plan will wind up being cheaper since they'll let me dial back on the talk plan.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

neongrey posted:

gently caress it. My contract's up at the end of July. I'm leaving for MTS. I don't care that they throttle you after 15GB/mo, that's still two and a half loving times what I get from Rogers and the whole plan will wind up being cheaper since they'll let me dial back on the talk plan.

I don't have that option. Tried Wind for a month, don't get reception at work or if I go inside a building (in New West BC), every carrier is poo poo, gently caress everything.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Sucks. :(

On the plus side, you don't live in Manitoba!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUX2IhwVKhg&t=53s

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Canadian Cellular: Quite frankly, I have no idea what a kilobyte is

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Take a page from the Freep thread: It always costs more, and it is always worse.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
That video made me put my head in my hands in absolute disbelief.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I ended up going with Virgin Silver with a 750mb/1000 min plan for $49, incl taxes and fees. Dude at the cell booth was shockingly confident, knew his stuff and didn't try to up sell a drat thing.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

slidebite posted:

I ended up going with Virgin Silver with a 750mb/1000 min plan for $49, incl taxes and fees. Dude at the cell booth was shockingly confident, knew his stuff and didn't try to up sell a drat thing.

I can't remember what precious metal my plan was but I only get 400mb/400min for $50 on Virgin. Did something change in the last 5 months???

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
There are plans that cost more money for less features that you're required to take if you get a larger device subsidy. For example, the equivalent of slidebite's plan in the "Gold" category is $60/month, not including taxes.

So yes, they have changed plans slightly as they seem to do every 3 months, but you also could be in a different tier that provides larger subsidies in exchange for more expensive plans.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 12, 2014

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

DarkJC posted:

There are plans that cost more money for less features that you're required to take if you get a larger device subsidy. For example, the equivalent of slidebite's plan in the "Gold" category is $60/month, not including taxes.

So yes, they have changed plans slightly as they seem to do every 3 months, but you also could be in a different tier that provides larger subsidies in exchange for more expensive plans.

Oh yeah that's probably it, I think I got the nexus 4 I'm on free with my plan. Makes sense.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone ever get calls from numbers with the same area code and first 3 digits but different last 4 digits? I've gotten 3 in the last month from xxx-xxx-yyyy, where x are the same as my phone number. All reverse lookup says is that they're numbers from Mobilicity, so I guess they own all of the numbers in the xxx-xxx block.

I can't find anything searching about this. I guess I'll call Mobilicity if this is a thing nobody has ever heard of.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, I've been getting those every week or two for the last few months. I called Rogers and they said it was probably due to caller ID spoofing by telemarketers. They offered to give me a new phone number (thanks I guess???).

The calls always go missed before the first ring finishes but I'm pretty sure my number is getting spoofed too because sometimes people call me back like "WHY DID YOU CALL ME???". They always have the same area code and first three digits too. I've stopped answering those calls and I hope it doesn't get any worse.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I don't bother answering unknown numbers anymore. I figured if it's important they will leave a message.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

iLikeMidgets posted:

I don't bother answering unknown numbers anymore. I figured if it's important they will leave a message.

This gets really tiring after the fifth unknown call in a day. Of course,the alternative is to pick up every unknown call and that is much more tedious :(

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone ported out of Rogers recently? Is it still necessary to go through that song and dance of "notifying" them 30 days ahead of time, so you can get the CCTS onside when they inevitably try to bill you for a month of service beyond the port date?

(I'm on an old contract - signed in 2012 if that matters. I'll have an ETF to pay, which is fine - I just don't want to pay for service they can't deliver)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lexicon posted:

Anyone ported out of Rogers recently? Is it still necessary to go through that song and dance of "notifying" them 30 days ahead of time, so you can get the CCTS onside when they inevitably try to bill you for a month of service beyond the port date?

(I'm on an old contract - signed in 2012 if that matters. I'll have an ETF to pay, which is fine - I just don't want to pay for service they can't deliver)

Rule of Thumb: Expect Rogers to try and gently caress you over one way or another. Check my post history in this thread for my last experience dealing with their customer service.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

grack posted:

Rule of Thumb: Expect Rogers to try and gently caress you over one way or another. Check my post history in this thread for my last experience dealing with their customer service.

Yeah, I know. I'm confident that my deft bureaucracy-navigating and outraged-consumer-prose skills will result in getting out of the [absurd] bill for the final 30 days - I'm just trying to minimize the hassle of the thing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

acetcx posted:

Yeah, I've been getting those every week or two for the last few months. I called Rogers and they said it was probably due to caller ID spoofing by telemarketers. They offered to give me a new phone number (thanks I guess???).

The calls always go missed before the first ring finishes but I'm pretty sure my number is getting spoofed too because sometimes people call me back like "WHY DID YOU CALL ME???". They always have the same area code and first three digits too. I've stopped answering those calls and I hope it doesn't get any worse.

Ohhh...well good to know it isn't just me. Annoying thing is, its my work number that's getting these calls and its goddamn irritating.

Suddenly the weird call I got last week where they called me and asked why I called them, and I was like"...what? I was driving. My phone was in my pocket." makes a lot of sense.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Lexicon posted:

If you are not a part of the WCOC regulation that went into effect last year, then they'll still make you do 30 days. If you change your rate plan (or have done so within the past several months), that should make you a part of the WCOC regulations. You could try switching your plan to anything and then cancel, but make sure they don't re-sign you into a contract if you do that (they probably won't. I don't think they can. But I don't work for them, so who knows)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lexicon posted:

'And so began the era of Rogers 3.0 Rogers One'

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/05/23/guy-laurence-unveils-rogers-3-0-a-plan-to-grow-the-company-as-one-rogers/

It's not like this guy can do any worse, and at least he hails from a place where mobile carriers compete

Oh man, I missed this gem from around a month ago, from the new and totally different Rogers CEO:

Rogers CEO doesn't think a fourth carrier can be viable.

quote:

“Industries such as ours are hugely capital intensive and traditionally in a lot of countries they can support different brands but only three major carrier groups,” he said. “I’m not saying the government is wrong. I’m not saying that they should change their policy. My personal view is that it’s difficult to see a scenario where a fourth carrier could be successful.”

During a discussion with reporters on Friday after the company unveiled a management restructuring, he said smaller competitors don’t have to spend on networks the same way Rogers does.

“Small fry come along and they offer these very glitzy things,” Mr. Laurence said, referencing an unlimited data, talk and text offering from Wind Mobile. “But do they have the technical expertise? Do they have the call centres? Are they going to invest in customer experience like me? I don’t think so.”

Smaller carriers can offer gimmicks like unlimited usage for literally everything you do with your phone, but what about the tangible experience of choosing a more expensive and limited rate plan that's right for you?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

eXXon posted:

Smaller carriers can offer gimmicks like unlimited usage for literally everything you do with your phone, but what about the tangible experience of choosing a more expensive and limited rate plan that's right for you?

It's like I've been saying: Carriers literally believe that they offer great service and are generally the best. Hence the "justification" for their pricing structure. It's no less insane, but there it is.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Is there any hope for Wind one day getting better spectrum? Or was missing out on the 700mhz auction the end of any hope for good signal strength inside buildings?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

neongrey posted:

Yeah, once the new iPhone's come out im jumping ship to MTS. gently caress Rogers for all this bullshit.

Is there anything we can do to stop this poo poo? Rogers is loving EVERYTHING up and it seems like we're stuck.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just buy the phone you want unlocked and keep your plan. It's probably cheaper than being forced into an $80+ share plan over 2 years, not to mention the savings of an unlocked phone if you ever travel anywhere else.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Shofixti posted:

Is there any hope for Wind one day getting better spectrum? Or was missing out on the 700mhz auction the end of any hope for good signal strength inside buildings?

They're gonna get bought out by one of the Big 3 eventually and everything is gonna suck (more).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah I just got an N5 from Google specifically for the purposes of jumping ship. I'm sick of Rogers' BS.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You'll love it.
Yeah, Wind may not be wi-fi fast, and HD streaming may cut out indoors, but it isn't loving Rogers, and that's what counts.

Rogers delenda est.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

yellowcar posted:

They're gonna get bought out by one of the Big 3 eventually and everything is gonna suck (more).

That's what I figured. God bless our wireless industry :canada: Well I'll hold onto Wind for as long as I can. I'm sure I'll have to jump ship someday.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

DarkJC posted:

Just buy the phone you want unlocked and keep your plan.

Do all carriers force you to get one of their new-style plans if you upgrade your phone through them? I heard recently that Rogers still lets you carry over your old plan, but Bell and Telus don't.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Just buy the phone you want unlocked and keep your plan. It's probably cheaper than being forced into an $80+ share plan over 2 years, not to mention the savings of an unlocked phone if you ever travel anywhere else.

This is the only way to roll in Canadian wireless now, especially so with these new horrible 2 year plans.

Yes, even if you want an iPhone.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Have the carriers gotten any better at rolling out new iPhones? After the rigmarole I went through to get an iPhone 4 from fido I resolved to only buy them unlocked from apple in the future. So much easier/faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Was in a Rogers corporate store today looking at a Samsung S5.

Noticed that all of the home screen icons are burnt in to the display after a month.

G'work Samsung.