Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rexxed posted:

Going off of this post it doesn't look like using a fan to pull air through it instead of pushing has very much difference in overall cooling:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1199135/hyper-212-testing-push-vs-pull-vs-push-pull-also-horizontal-vs-vertical-positioning
Thanks, is there any danger of dust being an issue? The case in question has a filtered front fan intake, if that mitigates the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Thanks, is there any danger of dust being an issue? The case in question has a filtered front fan intake, if that mitigates the issue.

Dust build up shouldn't be much different. I try to dust mine out every spring since the ambient temperatures go up in the summer.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Athlon x4 620

I'm running into some overheating issues (when encoding etc, not normal use).. My PC finally shut off the other day so I ran CPU Temp and it was getting over 85 and the max is meant to be 70? Anyway, the "passive" setting in Windows CPU managment (reduce multiplier before fan) doesn't seem to do anything. I can "fix" the problem by reducing max state to 99% but it's disappointing because it reduces the multiplier from 13x down to 9.5% (last I checked 9.5 wasn't 0.99X13 but oh well)

Anyway I just got a jist of an idea, of lowering the core voltage (slowly).. it's at 1.4v at the moment. It'd be nice to not have to drop the multiplier so much just to get it to reasonable temperatures. Is this a valid way to do it? Is there an in-windows way to do this or do I have to keep going to bios?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

echinopsis posted:

Athlon x4 620

I'm running into some overheating issues (when encoding etc, not normal use).. My PC finally shut off the other day so I ran CPU Temp and it was getting over 85 and the max is meant to be 70? Anyway, the "passive" setting in Windows CPU managment (reduce multiplier before fan) doesn't seem to do anything. I can "fix" the problem by reducing max state to 99% but it's disappointing because it reduces the multiplier from 13x down to 9.5% (last I checked 9.5 wasn't 0.99X13 but oh well)

Anyway I just got a jist of an idea, of lowering the core voltage (slowly).. it's at 1.4v at the moment. It'd be nice to not have to drop the multiplier so much just to get it to reasonable temperatures. Is this a valid way to do it? Is there an in-windows way to do this or do I have to keep going to bios?

Are your fans and things clean?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sortof.. I don't have a decent way to clean them right now, that would involve spending cash on canned air..

I just dropped voltage by 0.1v and so far it's doing a marvelous job. I'll leave it for 10 more minutes and see what temp it gets to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

I just dropped voltage by 0.1v and so far it's doing a marvelous job.

As in 20 degrees centigrade drop.. holy poo poo I have struck gold. Until I BSOD of course :smugmrgw:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

echinopsis posted:

Sortof.. I don't have a decent way to clean them right now, that would involve spending cash on canned air..

Gotta pay to play.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

echinopsis posted:

Athlon x4 620

Have you put it under that workload before and not overheat? It's been a while since I've overclocked AMD but I believe ~70 is as hot as they should get like you said, and 1.4 volts is fine for these, pretty moderate.

I'd do what Don Lapre said. I had a stock AMD cooler that would get very dusty very quickly and make my temperatures runaway. Redo thermal paste, consider a cheap cooler if its feasible (assuming stock cooler), etc.

In any case, yes lowering vcore is what you need to do. If it gets unstable, you have to lower your multiplier. If you're overclocked on some sort of autotune software you might actually have a lot of voltage you can drop here. But frankly it sounds like a fan/heatsink issue more than anything else

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
On a related note I think everyone in this thread should know how to re-oil a fan bearing. Its saved me from having to source replacements for expensive/exotic fans.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, so far the vcore solution is working, better than I hoped, but yeah.. I don't remember it getting this hot back in the day when I got it. Gotta get that canned air.

smdh at paying for air

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

On a related note I think everyone in this thread should know how to re-oil a fan bearing. Its saved me from having to source replacements for expensive/exotic fans.

I don't know how to do this

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

echinopsis posted:

I don't know how to do this

http://www.overclockers.com/em-spinning-lubricate-pc-fans/

Not all fans are designed like this but the bigger ones are. Smaller low power GPU fans are different.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

echinopsis posted:

I just dropped voltage by 0.1v and so far it's doing a marvelous job. I'll leave it for 10 more minutes and see what temp it gets to.

The main issue is right between the fan and the heatsink. You can remove the fan and just use a damp rag and wipe the top of the heatsink to get any buildup that is blocking air from flowing down into the fins.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I didn't know how either and just wondered "do you just squirt oil on it" and apparently it is so

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I clean unused paint brush works really well too to get out stubborn dust and its not a consumable like compressed air so it'll last forever but it still costs money.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I use an A/C airbed compressor for that :effort:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

The main issue is right between the fan and the heatsink. You can remove the fan and just use a damp rag and wipe the top of the heatsink to get any buildup that is blocking air from flowing down into the fins.

Thanks Don! One stand up guy. Ended up forking out for can of duster. $20! gently caress me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

http://www.overclockers.com/em-spinning-lubricate-pc-fans/

Not all fans are designed like this but the bigger ones are. Smaller low power GPU fans are different.

also on page http://www.overclockers.com/add-leds-fans/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

I blew out that poo poo you're talking about and I'm down another ~20

So that plus dropping the vc 0.1v took me down from 85+ on full load to 41.. epic moves dudes

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Good god. Now crank it back up manually until you hit 70 again lol

Also $20 for a can of compressed air? pfffff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's a big can... Yeah I was pissed off but what else could I do?

Ha! Why crank up vcore? I'm not trying to overclock at all, I just thought this was the most appropriate place for talking about underclocking! :lol::lol:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Oh, because I figured at 1.4 volts. Well, you could, now you know how. If you do encoding it will be a direct benefit

ie- turn up your multiplier until its unstable, then turn up vcore until its stable, and back and forth until your thermal limit it reached :) enjoy your faster computer

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

It's a big can... Yeah I was pissed off but what else could I do?

Maybe too late, but something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I can see this can lasting me half a decade. I don't think I need to invest in 15 years worth of duster all at once.. But thanks! I appreciate the post. Also how don't you know I live in NZ?

Ignoarints posted:

Oh, because I figured at 1.4 volts. Well, you could, now you know how. If you do encoding it will be a direct benefit

ie- turn up your multiplier until its unstable, then turn up vcore until its stable, and back and forth until your thermal limit it reached :) enjoy your faster computer

Hmm perhaps.. I was always unhappy with it being so hot but I'd be content with low 60s.. I didn't know I could increase the multiplier anymore.. Maybe I can ;')

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Radiator fans driving me crazy. I thought one was going bad because it really sounded like poo poo under load, but after dropping $35 on 2 jetblo 120 fans (for this $50 cooler..) they sounded perfectly fine for one IBT run then one fan started sounded like poo poo. It was the same fan location - the one touching the case. I thought perhaps it was because the long screw was going through the radiator that I was hearing the pump noise resonating through the case. When I remove the power connector for just that fan it immediately stops. These new fans are coated in rubber I figured that would at least rule that out, so I was starting to think I had yet another bad fan. After a bunch of swapping them around I determined it was in fact just that spot.

So looking closer I saw that the fans had a raised rubber grommet area around the metal sleeve for the screw on one side and it was more or less flat on the other. I turned them around to have the thicker rubber side touching the case and the sound is virtually gone. So the sound was just the fan vibrations resonating through this new case (h440) via the screw, touching the metal sleeve. :ughh:

Now my fans are drawing air inside the case through the radiator which I don't want. I figured this might actually cool my CPU better, but at the expense of making my whole case hotter. In reality it's a whole 1 degree cooler so well within margin of error, but hitting 77 degrees on average in IBT with a spike to 81 and 82 degrees on two cores for one run meaning I gained 3-4 degrees with just these fans over the stock ones. Pretty rad!

I was staring at a kraken x40 when I was looking at fans and just considering buying that instead and saving the old AIO for my GPU. I reasoned that I'd still need a new fan since I thought one was broken so I got the fans instead. Should have just bought the x40... doubt I'm going to return the fans though because they are in fact better.

(im just keeping them because theyre red)

echinopsis posted:

I can see this can lasting me half a decade. I don't think I need to invest in 15 years worth of duster all at once.. But thanks! I appreciate the post. Also how don't you know I live in NZ?

Hmm perhaps.. I was always unhappy with it being so hot but I'd be content with low 60s.. I didn't know I could increase the multiplier anymore.. Maybe I can ;')

There's little to lose honestly if you just keep it moderate.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well I can't increase the multiplier anymore so can I increase the 200mhz clock? what kind of increment does one recommend?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

echinopsis posted:

Well I can't increase the multiplier anymore so can I increase the 200mhz clock? what kind of increment does one recommend?

Ah drat sorry man, forgot its not a black edition. But yes, basically, increase your FSB (200mhz clock) in increments of 10 or 5 until you are unstable. I like to test stability with a variety of tools, but by far the easiest quick way for me is IntelBurnTest. Once it's unstable, increase your vcore voltage in increments of 0.01v.

Keep doing this until you hit 60 degrees with IBT. Don't worry, its really difficult to actually hit this temperature with any real workload.

Once you are comfortable with some settings, run a longer stress test like Prime95 small fft for as long as you like.

Because you are adjusting your FSB value, there can be a lot more to this. You might not be able to stabilize with just vcore alone, even if you have the thermal room to do so and even if your chip is technically capable. At that point you have to increase the CPU north bridge frequency and/or voltage. But this is more complicated obviously and the first thing is much easier. If you do get interested, this is probably relavent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm I'm not sure if that's for me. 98% of the time I'm just browsing or whatever.. Thanks for the potential advice though. :)

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Is a 550W XFX PSU (Seasonic design) enough to overclock a 280x? I plan on keeping it at stock voltage but seeing how far I can go with core and memory clocks. It's this model with the Windforce 3X cooler. My current 7850 is stable at 1130/6000, but voltage is locked at 1.225 in GPU Tweak and that card has a much lower TDP.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

MondayHotDog posted:

Is a 550W XFX PSU (Seasonic design) enough to overclock a 280x? I plan on keeping it at stock voltage but seeing how far I can go with core and memory clocks. It's this model with the Windforce 3X cooler. My current 7850 is stable at 1130/6000, but voltage is locked at 1.225 in GPU Tweak and that card has a much lower TDP.

Yes, and with 100W+ or so to spare.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gotta love DIY pc builders

That is an h100 installed with no back bracket. Just the 4 posts backwards tightened as hard as possible into the board.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Don Lapre posted:

Gotta love DIY pc builders

That is an h100 installed with no back bracket. Just the 4 posts backwards tightened as hard as possible into the board.

How hard is it to read a goddamn manual? I mean it's mostly loving pictures anyways, it even has separate sections iIntel vs. AMD so it's less confusing.
:psypop:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
i remember once as a kid i didn't understand how evenly thermal compound could spread, so I treated the heat spreader on my athlon like it was an acrylic painting

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
So this is interesting:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-overclocking-h87-h97-b85,27076.html

Apparently Asus decided that everyone should have the right to OC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Krailor posted:

So this is interesting:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-overclocking-h87-h97-b85,27076.html

Apparently Asus decided that everyone should have the right to OC.

Asus getting big enough they are starting to push their weight around.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
It does make a good point about sales. It wouldn't be unthinkable for Intel to collaborate or support this decision for the Pentiums. Hooray for fewer "locked" features

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I did it you guys. I had my PC open today so I figured I'd finally change the paste on my chip.

Delidded 4770k overcocked to 4.5ghz and overvolted by .01 or whatever one increment is.

With my previous AS5 paste: Idle 50c, Load (Prime95 Blend) 95c, causing the PC to reboot.

Everything the same but with a fresh coat of Noctua NT-H1: Idle 42c, load 63c.

Yeah. Did I mention this is on air?

Also pretty weird, I used a rice grain for all applications of both pastes, but when I removed the chip, all of the AS5 was still liquid after a month use. I noticed when I first put the AS5 on that it has some clear liquid along with the paste, kind of like that bit of water in a ketchup bottle, proportionately. The NT-H1 was better mixed, and I got the new temps instantly.

Finally, two R9 280X in crossfire stock clocks on Saints Row IV with uncapped framerate with Prime95 Blend running in the background, pulls 550 watts max from my 620 watt PSU. Whee!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Two things:
- heh, overcocks
- how did you measure the 550W?

Also Arctic makes lovely TIM, news at 11. Their best/competitive TIM is their two part adhesive epoxy which trades blows with the best of them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

deimos posted:

Two things:
- heh, overcocks
- how did you measure the 550W?

I measured the 550w with my trusty Kill A Watt: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RGF29Q

Actually I forgot to subtract 15w for my monitor since I have the whole surge protector routed through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

I did it you guys. I had my PC open today so I figured I'd finally change the paste on my chip.

Delidded 4770k overcocked to 4.5ghz and overvolted by .01 or whatever one increment is.

With my previous AS5 paste: Idle 50c, Load (Prime95 Blend) 95c, causing the PC to reboot.

Everything the same but with a fresh coat of Noctua NT-H1: Idle 42c, load 63c.

Yeah. Did I mention this is on air?

Also pretty weird, I used a rice grain for all applications of both pastes, but when I removed the chip, all of the AS5 was still liquid after a month use. I noticed when I first put the AS5 on that it has some clear liquid along with the paste, kind of like that bit of water in a ketchup bottle, proportionately. The NT-H1 was better mixed, and I got the new temps instantly.

Finally, two R9 280X in crossfire stock clocks on Saints Row IV with uncapped framerate with Prime95 Blend running in the background, pulls 550 watts max from my 620 watt PSU. Whee!

Original temps sure were terrible. After temps are nearly incredible, but if you only had to bump 0.01 it makes sense. I have a hard time believing that's the only voltage increase you are going to need in the end, but the fact that it even boots with 0.01 over and +1.0 ghz you're already in luck. I'd run IBT to get some hot temps, or just small FFT in P95 for 15 minutes.

I'm pretty much a firm believer in quality of paste - I mean it's not exactly a lot of money either - but its also true that it simply isnt important for most people