Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WirelessPillow posted:

@ImpAtom

The game ends with a choice, do or don't, it's only a moral choice if you decide that the decision reflects on whether you are good or bad, for the game its literally do I feel he deserves it or not.
Not every choice has a moral compass.

You are literally arguing "this moral choice isn't a moral choice because I said so." It is the definition of a moral choice. It is absolutely between good/bad and specifically based off what the game is arguing and presented exactly the same way moral choices are presented in games constantly.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Rakthar posted:

"Because I don't understand how this works, I am skeptical of it. Also maybe people are just seeing a placebo?" That seems like a weird statement to make.

You can turn the DOF / Blur off, that's just a feature that gets used in some cinematics and its there for you to play with.

There's comparison shots and the mod author explains what he did and why. The stuttering improvements come from changing how the game loads textures.

Here is what the mod actually does. Note it's a 57kb file that mostly re-activates features within the game, and tweaks the texture loading.

Here's my question, why didnt Ubi enable this crap to begin with? Why kill it on PC? Is it to make PC and consoles look more similar, or are the game play issues?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I was getting hacked by someone and almost found them when my xbone controller ran out of batteries. So there I was completely helpless standing on the sidewalk getting 100%'ed. Welcome to the meta hack.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

When I get hacked (well, before I realized that hacking "Blume Affiliates" apparently causes you to get a bounty and get hacked) I would just go afk and read the forums or something if I don't see them within the first 10-15 seconds, since I have absolutely no clue where to look. The only time I've ever won involved some guy driving a car around and me hacking him and getting a lucky shot with the M107 through his driver's side window and one-shotting him.

Once I tried out hacking 3 or 4 times I managed to get the basics down to the point where I avoided most of the really dumb mistakes people make. I did miss one person on a rail station, but I've found some people in REALLY clever hiding spots which I then noted down for my own use.

I hacked one guy and found out he was RIGHT NEXT to a multi-level (at least 5 levels) carpark. Easiest hack ever.

Problem is that literally 5 seconds later I was hacked before I could get out of the carpark. I did not succeed. When I realized it was futile I just jumped in a car and drove off before the game decided to give more hackers an easy time with me.

You get 5 minutes before starting the hack. If the person you're hacking isn't driving off it's a good time to scope out some good places to hide.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Moartoast posted:

Did you change Quality="_runtime" to Quality="ultra" or did you change id="_runtime" to id="ultra"? If you changed id, change it back to _runtime and change Quality to ultra. If not then I have no idea.
Something's weird then since I don't even have an 'id=' field. I think I may have a different GamerProfile.xml file from y'all.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
The graphics mod reminds me of back when bloom was nuclear white looking setting and people would inject it into a game anyway. You don't ALWAYS need more shader effects just because they're possible.

At this point I'll take the game as it shipped no question. But props to the guy for being curious and making the effort.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

WirelessPillow posted:

I don't know how many times this has to be mentioned.

It is not a Moral System, its a "How People View you" system.
You publicly kill civilians, that goes on the news, people like you less.
You publicly save a guy from being mugged, that goes on the news, people like you more.

The rewards for each bit is weird but its still not a Moral system as the game is not about being good or bad, its about getting revenge for his daughters death.
This guy is literally a fixer who has his moral understanding was out of whack and something he didn't realize until he got his revenge only because it was hurting his family. Without the family it would just be fixing as usual except with better scripts than other Fixers.

Karma ratings are trash.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dvlos posted:

Here's my question, why didnt Ubi enable this crap to begin with? Why kill it on PC? Is it to make PC and consoles look more similar, or are the game play issues?

The most compelling explanation I've seen offered basically goes like this:

Ubisoft was working on these fancy shaders and effects for the next gen version of Watch Dogs (PS4 / XBO / PC). They implemented them for the E3 demo slice, which is what they showed to the public.

When UBI got the final hardware on the XBO / PS4 they realized they would not be able to implement these effects on those platforms for performance reasons (several devs have mentioned the final hardware ended up being less powerful than they were told to expect by ms / sony).

So instead of spending a bunch of time fixing the artifacts / bugs these now PC-only shaders and effects still had, they chose to disable them.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

HoratioRash posted:

So the "trailer level" graphics settings were found in the game files. And reenabled.
Neogaf thread
Guru3d thread
Said download
webm 1 webm 2
Why was this done? Oh who can know TO keep graphics consistent across platforms - ps4 and pc.

Tried this.

Now, I can't say it completely reduced the stuttering (still happens here and there, usually when driving really fast through downtown) and I am running only on "high", BUT, there's a noticeable improvement in the graphics quality and absolutely no decrease in performance.

I'm not running a top of the line card, either. GTX 480.

I bet if I lower textures down from ultra, there'll be no stuttering.

This poo poo is ridiculous.

EDIT: Yup. That did it. Turning down textures to high, the game is completely smooth and I can jack everything ELSE to ultra.

I swear I fiddled with the settings before to get rid of the stutter and nothing got rid of it. Now its completely gone.

Figures I just beat the game a few days ago.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 17, 2014

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I hack a blume affiliate I drive straight to the nearest bridge/overpass, park my car, get my grenade launcher out and wait for a willing customer. Since everyone is terrible drivers you can spot them from miles away.

With that graphics mod can you still disable motion blur and dof?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

comatose posted:

Yes, and I recommend it for DoF. Even with the "improvement" from 0.6, it feels like Aiden seriously needs glasses.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

comatose posted:

Every time I hack a blume affiliate I drive straight to the nearest bridge/overpass, park my car, get my grenade launcher out and wait for a willing customer. Since everyone is terrible drivers you can spot them from miles away.

You are everything I hate - just tried tailing a player who, as soon as I joined the game, was literally sitting on a raised bridge with a sniper rifle, just waiting.

Players like this, I think the best thing to do is just immediately abandon the contract.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was getting hacked by someone and almost found them when my xbone controller ran out of batteries. So there I was completely helpless standing on the sidewalk getting 100%'ed. Welcome to the meta hack.

I'm not sure if it works in consoles, but at least on PC I found out that you can disconnect and bypass the point deduction. Saved my neck a bunch of times. I think it's ridiculous that you actually lose points. They really ought to patch that out.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Snuffman posted:

Yes, and I recommend it for DoF. Even with the "improvement" from 0.6, it feels like Aiden seriously needs glasses.

Awesome. The dof looked ridiculous in those webms.

Backhand posted:

You are everything I hate - just tried tailing a player who, as soon as I joined the game, was literally sitting on a raised bridge with a sniper rifle, just waiting.

Players like this, I think the best thing to do is just immediately abandon the contract.

I'm sorry. :(

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

6675636b20796f75 posted:

The gameplay is okay, and I'm still going for 100% completion, so it's not the worst game out there.

lol

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This game is basically only in my house until I can trade it in for whatever comes out next for the xbone. It's laughably bad. I think I'm just starting act 3 and the lifetime channel could write a better story. It's only saving grace is driving around at night when it rains.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The whole culmination of the Bedbug thing was laughably bad. Iraq had every reason to just kill Bedbug, and everything was showing it happening. Then the next thing you get is a phone call and he is all like "Im ok. Bye."

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

blackguy32 posted:

The whole culmination of the Bedbug thing was laughably bad. Iraq had every reason to just kill Bedbug, and everything was showing it happening. Then the next thing you get is a phone call and he is all like "Im ok. Bye."
The worst part is they don't offer even the tiniest sliver of an explanation for how he escaped. Iraq and his henchmen are dangling the guy from an 8th story window, holding guns to his head, having realized that he just completely betrayed their organization. Did he fight his way out? Did he give them some Jean-Luc Picard level speech and convince them of the error of their ways? The game offers no clue, just a shrug of the shoulders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Haha, is that what was supposed to happen? I literally never got that phonecall.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I got that phonecall too, it was a serious WTF moment.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Honestly, I figured it was a (laughably bad) trap on Iraq's part, like intimidating Bedbug into going all double agent for him. It would have been incredibly stupid even then, but it would have at least made SOME sense. Nothing ever came of it, though, so...

On a side note, I know someone else mentioned a bug where all their unlocks suddenly died. After trying a tailing mission with the laggiest player ever, now I'm getting the same problem: I'm stuck on Bunker island, with an unresponsive bridge, online missions it insists I haven't unlocked, and nothing but the default starter pistol. Anyone ever figure out what to do to fix this?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Haha, is that what was supposed to happen? I literally never got that phonecall.

Yeah, he calls you after the missions and says that he made it out safely, then Aiden is all like, "Good to know Bedbug made it out. Now he can set his life on the right path" or some poo poo like that.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

JohnClark posted:

The worst part is they don't offer even the tiniest sliver of an explanation for how he escaped. Iraq and his henchmen are dangling the guy from an 8th story window, holding guns to his head, having realized that he just completely betrayed their organization. Did he fight his way out? Did he give them some Jean-Luc Picard level speech and convince them of the error of their ways? The game offers no clue, just a shrug of the shoulders.

He bounced really well from his fall, and somehow lived through it I guess.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Thump! posted:

He bounced really well from his fall, and somehow lived through it I guess.

Or Bedbug was really the mastermind behind it all to include ctOS! I just spoiled watch dogs 2: watch doggier.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Got around to finishing this today (Destiny alpha distracted me for a while) and overall I had a blast playing it. I don't think I could say it was good because the story was dumb and I think the devs didn't intend a game people could "break," but if you like abusing silly AI then it's fun stuff. No way in hell am I going for 100% though.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Yeah, I just realized I'm not doing the drinking challenges.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Are the mod performance increases at all significant? When I tried to run on release, I kept bottlenecking when my CPU hit 100% and I don't know if this is the same stuttering that people are talking about. Graphics settings, resolution, and fullscreen never made any difference. Will this do me any good or am I stuck with not playing this until I upgrade in a few months?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Are the mod performance increases at all significant? When I tried to run on release, I kept bottlenecking when my CPU hit 100% and I don't know if this is the same stuttering that people are talking about. Graphics settings, resolution, and fullscreen never made any difference. Will this do me any good or am I stuck with not playing this until I upgrade in a few months?

If there's some hardware issue keeping you from playing this game then you're the luckiest man alive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rudager posted:

When you're after Defalt, and when you're after Damien. They control the ctOS network so you can't (or at least I couldn't no matter how many times I tried) use steam pipes or traffic lights which are the only 2 real ways to deal with pursuers without having to find some back alley with blockers.

You shouldn't really be dealing with pursuers in either of those scenarios-there aren't any in the first and you can just keep running in the second. Additionally, in the second, there are a number of objects you can still hack.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Guys guys, Bedbug just fell in a lady's bed. Bedbug can get into ANY lady's bed after all

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's a game I've been playing lately that is Watch Dogs' polar opposite. The Saboteur. There's no XP bar, you unlock perks and/or special weapons by doing skillful challenges; like double-sniping guys ten times to unlock a super-sniper rifle or stealth-killing officers to learn how to stab guys so quietly they don't even know they've been stabbed. You get no superpowers and there are no minigames. Your only objective is to blow as much poo poo up around Nazi-occupied Paris as humanly possible, with hundreds of targets of opportunity guarded all over the city and countryside. And everything you blow up actually contributes to your own safety because the Nazis don't hang around if there's nothing for them to guard.

Also it is unconcerned with realism. The world changes from black-and-white to color based on whether or not you've blown up enough story-stuff to scare the crap out of the Nazis in that area. The entire plot could just be Sean Devlin narrating a story to his kids about how he single-handedly killed every Nazi in France.

And that protagonist. Sean. He's a gruff white male out for revenge with a shady past (possibly ex-IRA), sure, but he's a FUN gruff white male out for revenge who knows how to crack a joke and never, ever takes anyone else seriously nor puts up with anyone else's poo poo. His home base is not a Batman Cave. His home base is a loving strip club with his secret room right behind the dressing area. And the dancers are totally okay with this.

There's only two women main characters of note and since they're not player characters they don't get to do much, but it's clear they're both way, WAY smarter than the protagonist and have agency. There's a pretty hardcore cutscene late-game that proves that Sean's would-be love interest is made of way sterner stuff than even he is. Hell, even the old lady who gives you missions by the Arc of Triomph is hardcore in her own way.

At the end of it all you can look back at the parts of the world you've cleared and/or colorized, and you realize you're feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Compare/contrast ALL of this with Watch Dogs. It's…well, it just kinda makes me think a bit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Speedball posted:

There's a game I've been playing lately that is Watch Dogs' polar opposite. The Saboteur. There's no XP bar, you unlock perks and/or special weapons by doing skillful challenges; like double-sniping guys ten times to unlock a super-sniper rifle or stealth-killing officers to learn how to stab guys so quietly they don't even know they've been stabbed. You get no superpowers and there are no minigames. Your only objective is to blow as much poo poo up around Nazi-occupied Paris as humanly possible, with hundreds of targets of opportunity guarded all over the city and countryside. And everything you blow up actually contributes to your own safety because the Nazis don't hang around if there's nothing for them to guard.

Also it is unconcerned with realism. The world changes from black-and-white to color based on whether or not you've blown up enough story-stuff to scare the crap out of the Nazis in that area. The entire plot could just be Sean Devlin narrating a story to his kids about how he single-handedly killed every Nazi in France.

And that protagonist. Sean. He's a gruff white male out for revenge with a shady past (possibly ex-IRA), sure, but he's a FUN gruff white male out for revenge who knows how to crack a joke and never, ever takes anyone else seriously nor puts up with anyone else's poo poo. His home base is not a Batman Cave. His home base is a loving strip club with his secret room right behind the dressing area. And the dancers are totally okay with this.

There's only two women main characters of note and since they're not player characters they don't get to do much, but it's clear they're both way, WAY smarter than the protagonist and have agency. There's a pretty hardcore cutscene late-game that proves that Sean's would-be love interest is made of way sterner stuff than even he is. Hell, even the old lady who gives you missions by the Arc of Triomph is hardcore in her own way.

At the end of it all you can look back at the parts of the world you've cleared and/or colorized, and you realize you're feeling a sense of accomplishment.

Compare/contrast ALL of this with Watch Dogs. It's…well, it just kinda makes me think a bit.

CAn you unlock a helicopter? How many binary kill/don'tmoral choices are there? Not GTA 2/10.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

No flying vehicles to commandeer. Not even zeppelins. But it has many different types of TANKS to commandeer! So THERE!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Yeah, tanks... tanks for nothing Ubisoft.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

lovely game with no gangs to do missions for then betray. 1/10.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

But also the guards were dumber there than they were here since all you would need to break them in The Saboteur was a silenced weapon of some kind, some grenades and height advantage. You throw a grenades to kill some guys, one dude comes to investigate. You shoot him in the head and since he was the only one alerted because you're using a silenced weapon nobody else ever finds out until sombody notices the dead body of the guy you shot.

Rinse and repeat although as i typed that out i realize the guards in Watch Dogs are only slightly smarter than the those in the Saboteur since they would do almost the same thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It looks an awful lot like the silenced weapons were implemented outside the original detection/stealth design structure.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

That Saboteur was a game that seemed much cooler on the outset. The game is far more interesting looking when it is in black and white and I think it is a game that would be much better if the driving was either taken out or cut down to a minimum. There is that, and the fact that Devlin is pretty much white male protagonist tough guy #43. He is pretty much an Irish B.J. Blaskowicz

But at the very least, it has more verticality than Watch Dogs for the simple fact that you can at least jump off the Eiffel Tower.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I had multiplayer turned off until today. I've spent pretty much the whole day doing online only and I love the mobile challenge and the hacking/tailing. I find the latter two really challenging but rewarding. They also give me butterflies because it really feels like I shouldn't be there. :3:

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

ScienceAndMusic posted:

This discovery has made me unbelievably upset.

Was there really any doubt this game was made by a bunch of...hacks? :allears:

"It totally looks like E3 2012 guys! Honest!"

• Locked thread