Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I don't get the point, maybe it's just that I prefer Joker as a psychotic, murderous thief, like he does insane things but has an end game in mind. And Hawley is a henchwoman. I don't like Joker or Harley as serial killer.

How is the Joker not a serial killer?

Content secret avengers 4

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
His intention isn't to kill people. I mean, he does, obviously, but it's not his core motivation. His usual intent is to be funny, to mock the world, ruin batman, etc., but he's not a mindless killer like Zzass or Carnage.

The Joker is most interesting and most effective when you don't know if he's about to pants someone or shoot their pet. It's the tense uncertainty and sudden resolution that makes him funny and fascinating.

I direct you to this classic scene from BTAS:Mad Love, where he's handed a golden opportunity to kill Batman, but doesn't care because it isn't funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squidster posted:

I direct you to this classic scene from BTAS:Mad Love, where he's handed a golden opportunity to kill Batman, but doesn't care because it isn't funny.

Now you're just being dense on purpose. He's angry because it wasn't him doing it and can't stand to have Harley show any independent thought. That's the entire point of the story; He's an abusive monster. And in the clip you linked, he still tries to kill Batman even though it's not funny.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Of course he's a serial killer. He kills people, serially. Just because there's more to the character than Zsasz doesn't mean he isn't also an insane, sociopathic murderer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'm certain there's a scene in a comic where someone like Dr Doom unmasks a hero and has the exact same reaction.

Hal Jordan sucked at the whole secret identity business:

Secret Origins Vol 2 #36

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

WickedHate posted:

Detective Comics 23.2

It's funny in the sense that this was released right before her quirky humor series.

Don't forget that at the end of her last quirky humour series she blinds a little girl for profit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm certain there's a scene in a comic where someone like Dr Doom unmasks a hero and has the exact same reaction.

Hal Jordan sucked at the whole secret identity business:

Secret Origins Vol 2 #36

That's not very convincing Hal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:catstare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't know why they insist on the new She-Hulk comic having horrible art (I'd almost gotten used to the :downs: look on her), but this isn't bad:

(the other guy is Shocker without his mask)

Source: She-Hulk #5

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 16, 2014

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't know why they insist on the new She-Hulk comic having horrible art (I'd almost gotten used to the :downs: look on her), but this isn't bad:

I'm afraid it's Thors all the way down.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

1% of Americans are male gingers. Narrow down by height/weight and with Lex's resources, he wouldn't be too hard to find.

(I thought it was a funny moment when I first saw it.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Technically the Joker is a mass murderer. He's about as far away from following a pattern as you can get, so he's not a serial killer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you go by what's on Wikipedia, between serial killing, mass murder, and spree killing, serial killer probably fits Joker the best (multiple killings over time in various locations with a "cooling off" period).

This is all very hilarious.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's both. A serial killer is just someone who kills repeatedly over a given amount of time - a pattern of killing method, or killing punctuality is not required - just repetition of the crime over a length of time. A mass murderer is someone who kills in large amounts at a single time.

Skwirl's original point about not liking Joker "as a serial killer" is that anytime you are writing a story and Joker's end-goal is "killed a bunch of people!" then you should be using a character like Calendar Man or Zsasz (please choose Calendar Man) instead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Just because you're the genetically seeded sole-survivor of the genocide of your race that you perpetrated, seeking to unite the Universe and the Negative Zone causing the extinction of all life other than yourself, and are currently busy doling out PTSD to a blind lady and a child doesn't mean you ignore a ringing phone.

FF#253

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ghostlight posted:

Just because you're the genetically seeded sole-survivor of the genocide of your race that you perpetrated, seeking to unite the Universe and the Negative Zone causing the extinction of all life other than yourself, and are currently busy doling out PTSD to a blind lady and a child doesn't mean you ignore a ringing phone.

FF#253
That dude's got a crazy hingemouth as well - did the FF spend all their early years fighting muppets or what?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

did the FF spend all their early years fighting muppets or what?

FF#264

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's the one where the bad guy is Neal Adams.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

God drat it Marvel :cripes:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I like it. You take the thing where all vampires are draculas and you extend it to other groups. :thumbsup:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Curse all these damnable Iron Men.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

MA Pym is no slouch, either.

Marvel Adventures Avengers #26

Also from the same issue, obligatory:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yinlock posted:

MA Pym is no slouch, either.

Marvel Adventures Avengers #26

Also from the same issue, obligatory:

God dammit guys. Our order is pretty light this week so I might have to pick some of this stuff up. Is it in trades?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

God dammit guys. Our order is pretty light this week so I might have to pick some of this stuff up. Is it in trades?
Yup.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Let's check in with Newspaper Spider-Man: an earthquake has smashed a hole in the state prison's wall and a prison-break is in progress. Doc Ock has managed to get his tentacles back in the confusion, but rather than running he stops the prisoners from escaping and saves the warden's life.

Surely the warden isn't stupid enough to fall for such a simple ruse!

Spider-man, talk some sense into him!

God drat it, Peter.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Why did they keep drawing JJJ without his mustache there.

(I know its not JJJ)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does anyone know the particular crime that landed Ock in prison in the first place?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Does anyone know the particular crime that landed Ock in prison in the first place?
Embracing bangs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Impersonating Roy Orbison.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Mantis is introduced to the Avengers, and promptly kisses everyone (from Avengers #114, Englehart and Bob Brown):

I love everyone's reactions to being kissed: Tony loves it so much he smiles through his armor, Thor loves it, Cap suspects some sort of makeout-based attack, and the Vision is about to cry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I get the sense that Cap is jealous she kissed Thor on the lips but gave him a smooch on his chin.

Also, it will never stop being funny how wildly different it is to get into the Avengers based on who you are.

Mantis: Just ask, or be the main squeeze to an existing member.
Hulk: Be the Hulk.
Spider-Man: Take down the Hulk. Alone.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 17, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

laz0rbeak posted:

Mantis is introduced to the Avengers, and promptly kisses everyone (from Avengers #114, Englehart and Bob Brown):

I love everyone's reactions to being kissed: Tony loves it so much he smiles through his armor, Thor loves it, Cap suspects some sort of makeout-based attack, and the Vision is about to cry.

A similar page, wherein Satana meets the Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts #155, maybe?

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Lobok posted:

I get the sense that Cap is jealous she kissed Thor on the lips but gave him a smooch on his chin.

Also, it will never stop being funny how wildly different it is to get into the Avengers based on who you are.

Mantis: Just ask, or be the main squeeze to an existing member.
Hulk: Be the Hulk.
Spider-Man: Take down the Hulk. Alone.

Even worse, this issue sees Swordsman re-join the team, even though Cap pointed out one page earlier that he originally only joined the team as part of a scheme by the Mandarin. But once an Avenger, always an Avenger! Cap gets out-voted and Swordsman replaces Hawkeye. I assume the same rule is what let Wonder Man join the team when he comes back from the dead in the 70's.

laz0rbeak fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 17, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Everyone but Cap read that What-If where Swordsman got pasted by Galactus in a show of Avengers Solidarity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I'm glad the colorists still don't talk to each other!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

A similar page, wherein Satana meets the Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts #155, maybe?

Gotta love those strategically placed speech bubbles in the Moonstone panel.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

laz0rbeak posted:

The placement of the kiss on Thor makes him look like a drag queen... In a good way, though. :heysexy:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And let's remember that, at this juncture, Mantis was a recently-ex-prostitute.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Lurdiak posted:

Gotta love those strategically placed speech bubbles in the Moonstone panel.

I dig the grizzled as hell Cain. That is the face of a man who has seen some poo poo and then rammed it through a wall with said face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Protocol 5 posted:

I dig the grizzled as hell Cain. That is the face of a man who has seen some poo poo and then rammed it through a wall with said face.

What exactly IS Cain doing now that he's not the Juggernaut?

• Locked thread