Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dr Pepper posted:

There's also Umineko no Naku Koro Ni it's a bit less anime then DR (still anime though), though Shiny777 updates slowly.

No, no I would say Umineko is significantly more anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The further you get into Umineko the more anime it becomes. It starts out Agatha Christie and every progressive chapter takes it farther East.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but Ghost Trick.

Seconding this. There are only two LPs where, in the middle of reading, I immediately stopped, bought the game and played it myself before continuing to read: Demon's Souls by Squid, and Ghost Trick. It's got an incredible plot that ties in perfectly with the game mechanics. You can literally not mention anything past the first twenty minutes or so without spoiling something, there's that many twists and turns to it. And even though it looks anime as gently caress, it's got such a great style, I just gotta love it.

What I'm saying is, buy the game. Or read the LP half-way through, and then buy the game. :colbert:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'd already played Ghost Trick, but I immediately followed the LP just to watch other people react to it. So worth it. :allears:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Star Wars: Tie Fighter by Neb777 was truly wonderful. It's a perfect example of what LP can accomplish. Perfect pacing, dazzling visuals, and a powerful narrative that keeps you glued to the screen all the way through!

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 5, 2014

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!

BattleCattle posted:

Star Wars: Tie Fighter by Neb777 was truly wonderful. It's a perfect example of what LP can accomplish. Perfect pacing, dazzling visuals, and a powerful narrative that keeps you glued to the screen all the way through!

I second this, it's a masterpiece!

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Are there any excellent LPs of those old dungeon crawlers where you made your own party? I suppose games like icewind Dale and that never winter nights 2 expansion count, but I'm interested in those early blobbers, too.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

gatz posted:

Are there any excellent LPs of those old dungeon crawlers where you made your own party? I suppose games like icewind Dale and that never winter nights 2 expansion count, but I'm interested in those early blobbers, too.

Well, Thurl did Might and Magic 1-3, which I enjoyed. A number of the old Gold Box AD&D games are on the lparchive as well, most of which have a full party.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

gatz posted:

There's a Wizardry 6 LP going on right now.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

If you're up to the first-person perspective kind, this LP of the Legend of Grimrock by Agent 355 is chill and entertaining.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Chronische posted:

Well, Thurl did Might and Magic 1-3, which I enjoyed. A number of the old Gold Box AD&D games are on the lparchive as well, most of which have a full party.

Thuryl's actually finished up to Might and Magic V now. Quality threads.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

If you're up to the first-person perspective kind, this LP of the Legend of Grimrock by Agent 355 is chill and entertaining.

If you're looking for a dumb comedic but sorta informational lp iron chitlin just finished one for the 2007 thread.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Speaking of the 2007 thread, I would like some recommendations from it please.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Catsworth's Dead space playthrough was pretty fun.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

thevoiceofdog posted:

Catsworth's Dead space playthrough was pretty fun.

I will definitely second this. He never goes full on AHHH PANIC and starts screaming at the camera, but he's not a super stoic robot. He responds to jump scares appropriately and naturally and it's hilarious. Apparently there's still a plan for Dead Space 2 and possibly 3 for them.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Hey, now that the Archives are back up, can anyone recommend some non-current LPs with especially good thread discussion?

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006

gatz posted:

Duke of the Bump, a forum member who doesn't post a lot here anymore, is remaking an old lp of his of a game called Dungeon Hack, which I remember to have been pretty good. You can find it in his youtube channel here.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

gatz posted:

So I'm not sure if you mentioned those two because you read them already, but Icewind Dale 2 by CaptainGarlic is a thing of beauty and if you like it, you might also want to try Dolash's Storm of Zehir.
If not, screw it, they deserve another recommendation anyway.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Any good LPs of Dragon Age? Couldn't find any in lparchive. It would be nice if it's one where tedious bits get cut out but it's not strictly necessary.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
One died due to real-life time constraints (surprise: 0) and another one just started up, so no, nothing complete.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632116

here's the currently going one. Don't have Corridor's old thread handy but it was pretty good while it lasted so you might want to check it out.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 6, 2014

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I have to recommend Momplestiltskin's FTL: Faster Than Light LP - he has beaten the game several times now, and really stepped it up in his latest run as Space Jesus. He's good at the game and his live commentary is unhurried and interesting!

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

dscruffy1 posted:

I will definitely second this. He never goes full on AHHH PANIC and starts screaming at the camera, but he's not a super stoic robot. He responds to jump scares appropriately and naturally and it's hilarious. Apparently there's still a plan for Dead Space 2 and possibly 3 for them.

Yeah we've been doing DS streams on the weekends, usually Sat. nights. Just started DS2 last week.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

thevoiceofdog posted:

Yeah we've been doing DS streams on the weekends, usually Sat. nights. Just started DS2 last week.

Could you like to the stream? Where do you guys usually announce when you'll be streaming? I'd be interested in following.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Bozart posted:

I have to recommend Momplestiltskin's FTL: Faster Than Light LP - he has beaten the game several times now, and really stepped it up in his latest run as Space Jesus. He's good at the game and his live commentary is unhurried and interesting!

Seconding this recommendation. I am bad at FTL but watching this LP helped me out a lot. Another thing to mention about his live commentary is that he's very adaptable in game, a cool part of watching is seeing terrible things happening and seeing how he deals with it and still get a winning run (Where most people would give up by that point).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any good LPs of Volgarr the Viking out there? I'd like to play but I know I'll never achieve the Contra-like pattern memorization that seems to be needed to win this thing.

I'd like the LPer to be as competent as it's shown in the trailer from the 1 minute mark onwards, but I'd settle for not dying twenty times in a level (or editing out the deaths).

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Would someone mind recommending a good Baldur's Gate LP? I'm playing through BG2 and would like to know more about the backstory of the various characters in my party.

I'm also on the lookout for good LPs of the following games:

Persona 4
Fallout 1 & 2

I apologize if this comes off as lazy, for some reason my web browser at work is refusing to display forum elements correctly and basic things like searching through threads is impossible.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Radio Talmudist posted:

Would someone mind recommending a good Baldur's Gate LP? I'm playing through BG2 and would like to know more about the backstory of the various characters in my party.

Vorgen's Baldur's Gate BWP thread is absolutely incredible. He finished BG1 just a week or two ago, after two years or so. The Big World Project mod (the BWP) adds a bunch of fan content, so there's some extra stuff, but it's a massive heap of fun. He's just getting started on BG2, the first step of which appears to be being sent off to do the entire Icewind Dale game as a sidequest...

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Mzbundifund & Bacter are doing one, but I think they're both swamped with work. Updates have a bit of time between 'em, but it's good fun. Bacter is more or less blind, and Bundifund is breaking the game over his knee on occasion :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's unprompted, but y'all should watch the Back to The Future LP by Klownz, an underrated LP of an underrated game (imho the best Telltale product, surpassing even The Walking Dead):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549685

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

steinrokkan posted:

It's unprompted, but y'all should watch the Back to The Future LP by Klownz, an underrated LP of an underrated game (imho the best Telltale product, surpassing even The Walking Dead):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549685
Also if you don't have SA archives, it's also up on the LP Archives: http://lparchive.org/Back-to-the-Future/

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here, but does anyone know if The Man With A Hat's LP of Arkham Asylum is still online anywhere?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

JetGrind posted:

I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here, but does anyone know if The Man With A Hat's LP of Arkham Asylum is still online anywhere?

It's on his site.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Persona 4
Fallout 1 & 2

I apologize if this comes off as lazy, for some reason my web browser at work is refusing to display forum elements correctly and basic things like searching through threads is impossible.

Hammer Floyd's lp of the vanilla game is pretty good and doesn't have any of the stupid bullshit BWP has. Don't get me wrong, the BWP lp isn't bad, but it's playing a version of the game I can't recommend to anyone. It's like recommending a rom hack to someone looking for the original, except replace insanely hard with insanely dumb and creepy.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Does anyone know of any at least quasi decent Mass Effect LPs?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

http://lparchive.org/Mass-Effect/

By the Freelance Astronauts.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Radio Talmudist posted:

Persona 4
Fallout 1 & 2

Feinne has a Let's Play of the original PS2 version of Persona 4 here.

Really Pants has a Let's Play of the updated Vita version Persona 4 Golden here.

Both are extremely well done.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

If you're looking for a more serious play-through than the Freelance Astronauts one, the Mass Effect LP by Spoiler Warning guys is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIN36m4vlapblxY743woJgYSde7a2afeF

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Who played JFK reloaded horse again? I am in need of pitch black comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who played JFK reloaded horse again? I am in need of pitch black comedy.

That was also the Freelance Astronauts. JFK Reloaded.

• Locked thread