Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Shithouse Dave posted:

But Coon cheese has everyone giving the side-eye right back. Not to mention the Golden Gaytime, with it's elegant slogan, "it's hard to have a Gaytime on your own".

My second cousin, little Princess Aberdeen just graduated preschool, complete with colourfully alphabet and number printed cap and gown. Apparently preschool graduation is a thing in the states.

I am American and never had a preschool graduation. I remember thinking 8th grade graduation was pretty silly. However, my parents are not of the generation where everything your kid does is automatically precious and special and shiny, which is how I feel people my age or younger with children seem to kind of act. (I'm in my late twenties and very happily childless.)

However, preschool and kindergarten graduation are big things in Japan, complete with dress rehearsals. I remember pissing myself laughing in the storage closet at one preschool I worked at because I was watching them practice for graduation and the kids were SO SERIOUS until they remembered they were kids- like, frowning and bowing deeply, but then seeing a sticker on the floor and getting excited about it and the teachers absolutely spazzing over these 5-year olds not behaving like perfect angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I guess it varies from school to school, but at my school here in Australia, high school graduation wasn't even considered a big deal.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I met with a taxman name M Silvernails. He's Iroquois.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I wish I wanted kids, I'd name my daughter La-a to gently caress with people.

It may be a good thing that I don't want kids.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Flagrant Abuse posted:

"No, her name's just 'L'. You see, La minus a equals L. It's simple maths."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Ladasha

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There was a headteacher at a school one of my friends went to called Mister Shore-Twilley.

We also had a gym teacher called Mr Darling.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Asian people using old white names for their kids is the best. Why? because it means I met a Dickson Poon.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I recently learned that my name is old viking for "jackass". I still think it's cool, though. :unsmith:

It's Tóki, pronounced "tov-che"

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

tiananman posted:

I know this sounds incredibly stupid and made up but I ran track in high school with a kid named Michael Hunt. (Mike Hunt = My oval office)

I won't give the exact school name, but it was in a suburb of Philadelphia, PA.

As far as I know, he hasn't changed his name or anything, and he never insisted on going by Michael. I think he just gave up.

So mind numbing to think that his parents either didn't realize what they were doing - which seems pretty unlikely even if they were really out of touch - or that they knew what they were doing and did it anyway.

I guess the first explanation is more likely - but why wouldn't he insist on going by his middle name or something?

I didn't go to the jr. high or elementary school with Mr. Hunt, but by high school I think everyone was more puzzled than entertained. I mean... how can this happen?

When my wife and I were picking out names for our son, I spent quite a bit of time brainstorming possible ways to make fun of his name.

You can gently caress your kid's life up with the wrong name. It's kind of important!

This is from forever ago but - small world, I went to the same school. Class of 1999?

Also, I've met a woman named Velvet Bush.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Kajeesus posted:

I recently learned that my name is old viking for "jackass". I still think it's cool, though. :unsmith:

It's Tóki, pronounced "tov-che"

Where are you from ? Or rather, where is your name from ?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It may be a good thing that I don't want kids.

Way back in this thread someone posted hard evidence of someone naming their kid Abcde for the same reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Istari posted:

Where are you from ? Or rather, where is your name from ?

I'm Faroese. It's also an Icelandic name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

rodbeard posted:

Way back in this thread someone posted hard evidence of someone naming their kid Abcde for the same reason.

Was that the supposed real and not at all photoshopped screenshot of a college admissions database?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Kajeesus posted:

I'm Faroese. It's also an Icelandic name.

Thanks; I think it's a great name.

DeKalb
May 30, 2007

Hecho en West Germany
Love, GP
I actually did meet a Ladasha. When I first saw it I couldn't believe it and thought of this thread. Maybe someone heard the rumor and liked the name? However, her name was spelled out completely and pronounced something like La-day-zha. So anyone still claiming to have heard of La-a is lying, an idiot, and probably racist and sheltered.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
Talon Nightshade contracted with my company last year. And the best name in videogames is still Feargus Urquhart.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DeKalb posted:

I actually did meet a Ladasha. When I first saw it I couldn't believe it and thought of this thread. Maybe someone heard the rumor and liked the name? However, her name was spelled out completely and pronounced something like La-day-zha. So anyone still claiming to have heard of La-a is lying, an idiot, and probably racist and sheltered.

I once knew a boy whose middle name was Lodasia pronounced like La-day-zha.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
Ran into a girl from my sister's graduating class the other day. She's named her daughter Novella. Like the "too short to be a novel, too long to be a short story" prose form.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

GabrielAisling posted:

Ran into a girl from my sister's graduating class the other day. She's named her daughter Novella. Like the "too short to be a novel, too long to be a short story" prose form.

Not that uncommon: http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Novella

Apparently Sonny & Cher's child was named Chastity Sun. My friends name is Iwo.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Chasen :barf:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Painter Charles Willson Peale (1741-1827) was featured on Antiques Roadshow. He named his son Titian. Two sons, actually. That was the worst of his themed names, but it had to have been awkward for children to know that yep, their daddy was a weird one.

By his first wife were born:

Margaret Jane
James Willson
Eleanore
Margaret Van Bordley
Raphaelle
Angelica Kauffman
Rembrandt
Titian Ramsay
Rubens
Sophonisba Angusciola
Rosalba Carriera

She died, so he married Elizabeth DePeyster. He started running low on male painters, so he switched to other important individuals.

Vandyke
Charles Linnaeus
Benjamin Franklin
Sybilla Miriam
Titian Ramsay (because the first one had died)
Elizabeth DePeyster

If you're missing some of the references, this site breaks them down. Every weird name except Charles Linnaeus and Benjamin Franklin were indeed involved with art in some way.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
Well, I met a Tennis Alemen today. I thought at first he said Dennis but nope, Tennis. Poor guy.

Frost Alias
Feb 19, 2011
I grew up in an everybody-knows-everybody rural community. There were these two brothers who lived there; one was named Lemon, and the other Lamoyne. Lemon had a hook for a hand.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Cmdr Tomalak posted:

I posted about that guy earlier in the thread. Scarborough, right?

South Etobicoke, actually. I always thought that was strange because south Etobicoke is mostly Eastern European, where Scarborough has a much larger South Asian community.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

'Florida woman named Crystal Metheny arrested in Polk'
the lovely lady:

uranium grass has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Jun 12, 2014

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Most of mine are daft, rather than flat-out retarded.

I work in a big hospital in IT, so I get to see a lot of user names. Some of the more memorable ones:
Shiny Baby
Ms. Nurse, a nurse
Dr. Doctor, a doctor
Dr. Assad Butt (username buttdr (changed from buttass by request of the user))

And one time in my youth I was arrested by PC Beard and PC Shave. Sadly the facial hair did not match.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I couldn't believe it when I heard an ad on the radio this morning for a local realtor: Twinkle Rowan. Ugh.

http://www.twinklerowan.com

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Overheard a mother admonishing her son Jameson in a Target store the other day. I'm only assuming the spelling from how it was pronounced, because who the hell knows.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Overheard a mother admonishing her son Jameson in a Target store the other day. I'm only assuming the spelling from how it was pronounced, because who the hell knows.

I went to high school with a Jamieson. Less alcohol-inspired and hopefully the correct spelling for the kid you heard...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Megapost.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

That reminds me, I'm also baffled in general by most American names being common as both first and last names. Jackson Paul, Damon Thomas, Shelby Scott... I don't know of anywhere else that's really a thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

S'Ranthony L'Nard. I mean, L'Nard kind of works as a truncated Leonard, but it just makes me think of Monster Squad dubbed in French or something. "Loup-garou a l'nards!"

edit: Another one from the terminations pile: Aspen Sky.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jun 13, 2014

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Err, that name's been around for a while, though it's a bit more rare as a first name, but not unknown.

Kajeesus posted:

That reminds me, I'm also baffled in general by most American names being common as both first and last names. Jackson Paul, Damon Thomas, Shelby Scott... I don't know of anywhere else that's really a thing.

Once upon a time in England, it was fairly common to give the first-born son the mother's maiden surname as a first name. That's probably how a lot of them first moved from last names to first names. Then, unaware of the historical reasons for the trend, there are probably plenty of people who figured they could just name their kids with a surname. And there's the whole "special snowflake" bullshit that's affecting American parents these days, so if you're trying to find a ~special and unique name~, how can you go wrong with a surname?

Ultimately, I think surnames-as-first-names is less terrible than brand-new-unique-names-as-first-names. At least they're still names.

I have a cousin whose first name is Greyson because the doctor who delivered him was Dr. Greyson and the parents liked the name. :shrug:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Okay okay okay guys, I just had a sudden memory leap out at me from the "first name is last name talk". Take this with a grain of salt because this is a barely-remembered haze from like 15 years ago.

My last name is Donelson. When I was a kid I visited the States, and I swear to Christ I remember my great Uncle casually mention that a distant cousin Donelson was up to something. I inquired, and it turns out he wasn't referring to the guy by his last name.

There might be someone in my family named Donelson Donelson

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

frankenbeans posted:

Please please say he's a proctologist.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Gerlmy Javon Todd

This clown just made the news for getting high and crashing into CNN headquarters

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

frankenbeans posted:

This is the best thing I've ever heard.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I met a woman yesterday named Quiata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

stubblyhead posted:

Please please say he's a proctologist.

Sadly not, I'm afraid.

edit: Just checked, he's a paediatrician.

frankenbeans has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Jun 18, 2014