Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

this might interest some people

http://home.woot.com/?ref=cnt_ft_hm_4

TODAY'S WOOT
Victorinox 3-Piece Cutlery Set
$39.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm marinating some fajita chicken in a mixture of beer and lime juice, and I need to know what are some good things to dilute this with? Besides water, that is.

Beer and lime juice make for some good fajitas, but they always come out with a somewhat overpowering flavor, and I'm trying to figure out how to take that edge off.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm marinating some fajita chicken in a mixture of beer and lime juice, and I need to know what are some good things to dilute this with? Besides water, that is.

Beer and lime juice make for some good fajitas, but they always come out with a somewhat overpowering flavor, and I'm trying to figure out how to take that edge off.

Cut it with a milder juice like just some orange juice or even apple. Or just some oil if you don't want to introduce a different flavor. A splash of worcestershire sauce would add a little depth to it that probably wouldn't detract from the other flavors.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Very Strange Things posted:

Cut it with a milder juice like just some orange juice or even apple. Or just some oil if you don't want to introduce a different flavor. A splash of worcestershire sauce would add a little depth to it that probably wouldn't detract from the other flavors.

What kind of oil? Would canola oil work?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

What kind of oil? Would canola oil work?

Sure; I'd use olive oil though. There's something about canola I just don't like.
poo poo, you could even just use some Italian dressing if that's what you have handy. Marinades really don't do all that much so I'm never very careful with them.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I have two sockeye salmon fillets thawing for dinner later this week. Any ideas for a simple glaze or sauce to prepare it with?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
My dad just gave me a frozen lasagna in a glass baking dish. I want to cook it but I know that glass (well, Pyrex) can shatter if subjected to sudden temperature changes so I'm worried that if I put this frozen glass dish in the oven it will explode and rain lasagna all over my kitchen.

How can I best cook this thing while minimising the chances of it turning into an IED?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can anyone recommend a good slowcooker chicken recipe.

Besides the chicken breasts (I wish I had thighs), I have handy:

BBQ sauce
Soy sauce
Honey
Chili Flakes
Balsamic Vinegar
Cider Vinegar
Sriracha
ground Ginger
Insanity Sauce
1 Lemon
Dijon Mustard
Yellow Mustard
1 Onion

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can anyone recommend a good slowcooker chicken recipe.

Besides the chicken breasts (I wish I had thighs), I have handy:

BBQ sauce
Soy sauce
Honey
Chili Flakes
Balsamic Vinegar
Cider Vinegar
Sriracha
ground Ginger
Insanity Sauce
1 Lemon
Dijon Mustard
Yellow Mustard
1 Onion

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My recommendation is to cook something else, because chicken breast in a slowcooker is going to be terrible.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
My favorite slow cooker chicken breast recipe is to take the breasts, squish them between parchment paper or saran wrap and pound them out with a tenderizing hammer or something nice and heavy, season with salt and pepper, put in a ripping hot pan with peanut oil and cook until browned and cooked through and do not let them ever see the inside of a slow cooker ever because they will come out terrible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

cyberia posted:

My dad just gave me a frozen lasagna in a glass baking dish. I want to cook it but I know that glass (well, Pyrex) can shatter if subjected to sudden temperature changes so I'm worried that if I put this frozen glass dish in the oven it will explode and rain lasagna all over my kitchen.

How can I best cook this thing while minimising the chances of it turning into an IED?

It won't break unless you dump boiling water on it. Don't pre heat the oven first if it makes you feel safer

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ibntumart posted:

I have two sockeye salmon fillets thawing for dinner later this week. Any ideas for a simple glaze or sauce to prepare it with?

Miso glazed is awwwwwesome or to be honest salt and pepper with some chopped fresh herbs is always good.

It's copper river salmon season and I can't get enough of it.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

cyberia posted:

Let it defrost completely in your fridge and then come up to room temp on your counter first if you want to minimize thermal shock. Definitely thaw it first, at least.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Scientastic posted:

My recommendation is to cook something else, because chicken breast in a slowcooker is going to be terrible.

Listen to this advice.

Slow-cooking or slow-smoking has specific purposes:
-It render fat well, which keeps meat moist.
-It gelatinizes connective tissue, which keeps meat moist and allows meat to pull apart easily (Hence the name "connective tissue")
-It cooks slowly enough such that connective tissue doesn't tighten. If you are cooking fast, this starts to happen at about 120F and is to blame for much of the the toughness difference between a rare and medium steak.
-On the downside, slow-cooking drives out more myoglobin than "fast" cooking.

With chicken breast, you're cooking meat with no fat and hardly any connective tissue to gelatinize. Your only gain by slow-cooking is that the meat will pull apart easily, but is grilled chicken hard to shred? Your meat will be dryer because you drove out a lot of myoglobin, but there will be no fat and gelatin to compensate. This is why you can put two chicken breasts in a slow-cooker and have them mysteriously half-submersed in liquid afterward. That liquid used to be inside the chicken. "Oh look, it's tender. It pulls apart." You say. But no amount of saucing on the outside will stop what's going on in the inside of those dry, mealy muscle fibers.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ibntumart posted:

For a Japanese marinade and sauce:

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Shoyu
2 tablespoons sake
1/2 thumb ginger, peeled and finely grated
1/2 cup instant dashi stock

Mix that together so that the sugar dissolves (heat it if you add cold dashi stock, otherwise the hot stock is usually enough). Let it cool then use half to marinade the salmon for at least an hour covered in the fridge. Pat dry and then pan fry or grill / griddle the salmon.
Heat the other half of the marinade in a pan and add about 25g of butter, remove from the heat and stir it to melt the butter. Pour it over your cooked salmon.
This makes enough for 4 salmon cutlets but more sauce is always good!

Or Teriyaki is fantastic with Salmon. Mix together:

250ml light soy sauce
200ml mirin
200ml sake
80g caster sugar

Heat in a pan on low heat until all the sugar is dissolved. Allow it to cool then store it in a container / bottle in your cupboard. Use about 1/4 cup to glaze salmon fillets in a frying pan. I would cook the salmon about half way then add the teriyaki so that it can thicken up and glaze the fish as it finishes cooking.

Helith fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 17, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Meatwave posted:

Listen to this advice.

Slow-cooking or slow-smoking has specific purposes:
-It render fat well, which keeps meat moist.
-It gelatinizes connective tissue, which keeps meat moist and allows meat to pull apart easily (Hence the name "connective tissue")
-It cooks slowly enough such that connective tissue doesn't tighten. If you are cooking fast, this starts to happen at about 120F and is to blame for much of the the toughness difference between a rare and medium steak.
-On the downside, slow-cooking drives out more myoglobin than "fast" cooking.

With chicken breast, you're cooking meat with no fat and hardly any connective tissue to gelatinize. Your only gain by slow-cooking is that the meat will pull apart easily, but is grilled chicken hard to shred? Your meat will be dryer because you drove out a lot of myoglobin, but there will be no fat and gelatin to compensate. This is why you can put two chicken breasts in a slow-cooker and have them mysteriously half-submersed in liquid afterward. That liquid used to be inside the chicken. "Oh look, it's tender. It pulls apart." You say. But no amount of saucing on the outside will stop what's going on in the inside of those dry, mealy muscle fibers.

drat, put this poo poo in the OP.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I'm Muslim, so the recipes with sake aren't doable however delicious they are, but I might try the fresh herbs route.

Also, seconded on the crockpot advice going in the OP. I've done whole Cornish game hens and might do a whole chicken, but breasts would be bad.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
I will be going to Paris in a few months and am completely overwhelmed by the amount of restaurants. Any recommendations? We will probably do one more old-school Michelin star meal and a few newer places (girlfriend really wants to go to Frenchie).

We will be staying in an apartment, with a full kitchen, and will be cooking on most days - so recommendations on markets, etc. would also be appreciated.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

So I bought a box of chicken breast burgers to have for lunch, what do I do in the time between cooking them and eating them at work? I throw them onto the George Forman in the morning while I'm getting ready, do I leave them on my desk or throw it in the fridge? I'm mostly worried about cooling it down and reheating making it taste terrible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ibntumart posted:

I'm Muslim, so the recipes with sake aren't doable however delicious they are, but I might try the fresh herbs route.

Mirin has alcohol too. Unfortunately without mirin or sake you're limited for authentic Japanese flavors, poo poo's in everything. You could try soy, miso, ginger, and rice vinegar. Use dashi to loosen it up a bit. A general herby thing I'd do salt, pepper, lemon, and dill.

And just out of curiosity, is it allowed if you cook the alcohol out of something? Say red wine in a pasta sauce that's simmered for a few hours.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 17, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Midniter posted:

Agreed. That's a good summary answer to a relatively common question.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Drythe posted:

So I bought a box of chicken breast burgers to have for lunch, what do I do in the time between cooking them and eating them at work? I throw them onto the George Forman in the morning while I'm getting ready, do I leave them on my desk or throw it in the fridge? I'm mostly worried about cooling it down and reheating making it taste terrible.

The real answer is to bring your George Foreman to work and cook them at your desk at lunch time. Those "grills" are pretty small so you should be able to hide it under your desk.

If it's going to sit out for more than 4 hours, I'd throw it in the fridge. If not, I think it's fine to leave at your desk.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Nobody wants to smell you cooking chicken at your desk and I'm pretty sure you're at risk leaving recently cooked chicken out at room temp for more than 2 hours.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Speaking of "chicken burgers" -

I sometimes make ground chicken patties, mixed with buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese crumbles, to make "buffalo chicken" burgers. However, ground chicken is incredibly loose, and I usually have to cook them in a pan because they'd fall apart on the grill. I've tried mixing in egg and breadcrumbs to no avail. Is there anything else I can do to make them a bit firmer?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

rj54x posted:

Speaking of "chicken burgers" -

I sometimes make ground chicken patties, mixed with buffalo wing sauce and blue cheese crumbles, to make "buffalo chicken" burgers. However, ground chicken is incredibly loose, and I usually have to cook them in a pan because they'd fall apart on the grill. I've tried mixing in egg and breadcrumbs to no avail. Is there anything else I can do to make them a bit firmer?

I'd suggest a panade, pieces of regular sandwich bread, cut or torn into little pieces, and soaked in a liquid, typically milk. You could probably use chicken stock for a little more chicken flavor instead. It doesn't take a lot of liquid, just a tablespoon or two per piece of bread IIRC. You don't want a super saturated piece of bread, like a sopping wet sponge, just moistened.

EDIT: After thinking about it, that may help with moisture in the finished product, but maybe not so much for holding it together. At this point it probably wouldn't hurt though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

But remove the incorrect stuff about myoglobin.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

SubG posted:

But remove the incorrect stuff about myoglobin.

Correct me, please, where I'm wrong about myoglobin. You mean where it's actually "myowater" and not actually myoglobin or am I just totally wrong about something? Teach me, man, please! I'd rather admit mistakes than keep saying incorrect things.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Meatwave posted:

Correct me, please, where I'm wrong about myoglobin. You mean where it's actually "myowater" and not actually myoglobin or am I just totally wrong about something? Teach me, man, please! I'd rather admit mistakes than keep saying incorrect things.
Yeah, at the very least I'd say that the way you use the word in your earlier comments is at very least misleading. Most of the protein in the liquid in (most) raw meat is myoglobin (well, actually oxymyoglobin, but whatevs). But most of the liquid is not myoglobin. And most of the myoglobin in the meat isn't in the liquid.

So if you're looking at moisture loss in meat during cooking, speaking about it in terms of myoglobin doesn't really make sense. In meat science you'd talk about myoglobin as it relates to meat colouration, where its behaviour does dominate the overall behaviour of the meat: myoglobin by itself is the dark red, almost purple pigment in raw meat. Left exposed to air it'll turn bright red as it takes up oxygen and becomes oxymyoglobin. This part is a reversible process (without changing anything else)---going from myoglobin to oxymyoglobin and back is what it does inside the animal when it's alive. Over time you'll get the development of metmyoglobin, which is the brownish colour you see in dry aged meat or meat that's been freezer burned. This is also due to oxygenation, but is not a reversible process without the addition of heat. The addition of heat leads to the formation of hemichrome, which is the brownish grey of cooked meat. If you add heat in the presence of nitrogen, as you do in smoking or if you've applied curing salt, you get (from oxymyoglobin; if the more stable metmyoglobin has already formed you're assed out) nitrosyl hemochrome, which is the the pinkish colour associated with cured meats and the smoke ring in smoked meat.

So much for the behaviour of the pigments.

In general, the relationship between moisture and meat and myoglobin is actually inverse---meat from younger animals tends to have more moisture and intermuscular fat and less myoglobin. That's the reason why, for example, veal is very tender and lighter pink than most beef.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

beefnchedda posted:

I will be going to Paris in a few months and am completely overwhelmed by the amount of restaurants. Any recommendations? We will probably do one more old-school Michelin star meal and a few newer places (girlfriend really wants to go to Frenchie).

We will be staying in an apartment, with a full kitchen, and will be cooking on most days - so recommendations on markets, etc. would also be appreciated.

This is probably not quite what you want to hear, but the best recommendation is to take a few random turns down streets near wherever you're staying and go into the first place that looks good. It will almost certainly be excellent.

I've done this the last few times I've been to Paris, and every time I've had a wonderful meal. The first time I tried it, I ate Tripe Provençal in a cave, and another time I had just about the best andouillette I've ever had, in a bistro run by a crazy old couple who made all their own mustards. And I have absolutely no idea where these places where, or what they were called.

Edit: Look for places with a small menu, in French. You're almost guaranteed great food if you follow these criteria.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

And just out of curiosity, is it allowed if you cook the alcohol out of something? Say red wine in a pasta sauce that's simmered for a few hours.

Wine doesn't fully evaporate, though, so that's a no go. But I know how to substitute for white and red wine. The bolognese I made with grape juice and vinegar recently was delicious (probably would have been better with wine, but still tasty).

Sake or mirin, though, I have no idea.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

SubG posted:

Yeah, at the very least I'd say that the way you use the word in your earlier comments is at very least misleading. Most of the protein in the liquid in (most) raw meat is myoglobin (well, actually oxymyoglobin, but whatevs). But most of the liquid is not myoglobin. And most of the myoglobin in the meat isn't in the liquid.

So if you're looking at moisture loss in meat during cooking, speaking about it in terms of myoglobin doesn't really make sense. In meat science you'd talk about myoglobin as it relates to meat colouration, where its behaviour does dominate the overall behaviour of the meat: myoglobin by itself is the dark red, almost purple pigment in raw meat. Left exposed to air it'll turn bright red as it takes up oxygen and becomes oxymyoglobin. This part is a reversible process (without changing anything else)---going from myoglobin to oxymyoglobin and back is what it does inside the animal when it's alive. Over time you'll get the development of metmyoglobin, which is the brownish colour you see in dry aged meat or meat that's been freezer burned. This is also due to oxygenation, but is not a reversible process without the addition of heat. The addition of heat leads to the formation of hemichrome, which is the brownish grey of cooked meat. If you add heat in the presence of nitrogen, as you do in smoking or if you've applied curing salt, you get (from oxymyoglobin; if the more stable metmyoglobin has already formed you're assed out) nitrosyl hemochrome, which is the the pinkish colour associated with cured meats and the smoke ring in smoked meat.

So much for the behaviour of the pigments.

In general, the relationship between moisture and meat and myoglobin is actually inverse---meat from younger animals tends to have more moisture and intermuscular fat and less myoglobin. That's the reason why, for example, veal is very tender and lighter pink than most beef.

This is some excellent information. Thank you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ibntumart posted:

Sake or mirin, though, I have no idea.
For mirin you might try sweetened rice vinegar, assuming rice vinegar is halal. As I understand it deliberately producing vinegar from wine is haram, but vinegar in general is okay. So an upscale rice vinegar, which is almost certainly going to be produced by a saké brewer, is probably suspect. But a grocery story brand, which is going to be vat fermented directly (and will go through the same processes but will never be an intoxicant) is presumably okay. But I'm no...whatever the halal equivalent of a mashgiach is.

And all that being said sweetened rice vinegar isn't going to really taste like mirin, but I don't know what really would. And a little extra vinegar is something that's unlikely to hurt.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I think there are non alcoholic brands of mirin available. You might be able to track one down.
For the cooking sake you could use white grape juice and add a dash of rice vinegar maybe?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

beefnchedda posted:

Les Deux Canards

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

beefnchedda posted:

It may not be anywhere near Michelin, but L'As du Falafel will probably be the best Falafel you could imagine.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Let it defrost completely in your fridge and then come up to room temp on your counter first if you want to minimize thermal shock. Definitely thaw it first, at least.

Bob Morales posted:

Don't pre heat the oven first if it makes you feel safer

So I did these things and succesfully cooked my lasagne without blowing anything up. Thanks, goons!

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Quick question: i have a soapstone mortar and pestle; is it dishwasher safe?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Freakbox posted:

Quick question: i have a soapstone mortar and pestle; is it dishwasher safe?

A quick google search seems to suggest so, soapstone items on amazon say they're dishwasher safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Awesome- I was out and about when I asked, and sometimes the results on my phone can be...wonky. :gonk:

I'll give it a shot later- I was pulverizing some basil, sage, and garlic scapes with seasalt for something, and I didn't want the scape-y smell to linger.