Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Actually, to be honest, neither of my cats are interested in eating my old Wellness Core right now. Pepper doesn't seem to want to eat any and Chips normally scarfs down all her food and she's just occasionally nibbling on it now. After typing out that paragraph, I would assume that it's something wrong with the food. I am mixing up some Sojos (another sample) right now. Assuming they haven't completely lost appetite (something for which I will obviously consult a vet), should I just try buying new food? Should I stick with Wellness Core or switch brands? If I complain to Wellness, will they give me free stuff?

Thx.

e: no go on the sojos. it's weird stuff anyway. i just poured out some nature's variety instinct raw and they're snarfing it down. pepper accidentally started eating some wellness core and stopped eating immediately before finding the nature's variety again.

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That they both seem to be put off on the food does make some sense that there could be something odd with that new bag of Wellness. gently caress ups do happen at the factory, distribution, store... all of which could lead to the product becoming unpalatable. From that standpoint, and from the information that they seem fine eating other things (and accidentally ate some Wellness) and have had no vomiting or diarrhea, trying a different food or even trying a different bag of Wellness is a viable option.

However, I don't like the extra hiding. Cats do that when they feel crummy - and with the information they did go off food, maybe they're feeling off, one more than the other (heck, maybe it was something with the food, like rancid fat or something). Are there any other changes you've noticed? Litter box habits, quality of the excrement, any other changes in mood/personality,vomiting, missing toys/house objects?

If you want to take this more conservatively, then you could try a different diet and keep an eye out for any new signs, and at the first sign something bad is happening, go to a vet.

If you want to be more aggressive, get them (or at least the one hiding more often) checked out by a vet. Not necessarily huge workup, but at least a Dr. getting their hands on them to see if they feel anything. With cats I tend to behave more aggressively because they like to hide things, so if you can, a checkup is ideal.

For Wellness, by all means give them a call and let them know - keep the bag of food, and be sure to have the information of: where you got it, when you got it (as your memory isn't the best, did you use a credit card? Can you search a statement?), when you opened it, when you noticed odd signs. They will probably ask for serial number or lot numbers too, but they will be better telling you where to look for them.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

They really do seem fine otherwise. They played a little when I brought out some toys (but they got distracted by the rain). poo poo looks normal. They still follow me around when I walk around my apartment. When I was inspecting the Wellness Core bag, Pepper tunneled out from under the bed and sprinted over. She even did a cute three hop thing where she jumped from one chair to the next chair to my coffee table. Behaviourly, they honestly seem fine: not overtly lethargic or extremely vocal. I'm just concerned since I've heard bad things about cats skipping meals.

The reason I'm not exactly sure whether the problem is isolated to this bag specifically is because I'm on one of those monthly delivery things and I'm pretty sure my girlfriend was the one who fed my cats the last few times so I'm not really sure when I switched over to a new bag. It's hypothetically possible that they were disinterested with the remains of the old bag as well; but I really don't think that's the problem.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

We called last night just before they closed - he'd definitely perked up a bit and was making the tech's lives hell. :v: I'm going to swing up there today and see him.

Update, if anybody is interested.

He came home on Wednesday, feeling quite a bit better. Ate a bit, smacked the dog around a bit, smacked us around a bit, growled/hissed at plenty of things.

He quit eating again yesterday - the only stuff he'll "eat" is canned food in gravy or broth, and he's only licking the gravy/broth off of the food (this is food that he was absolutely inhaling a few days ago). He quit grooming himself, has some rather nasty mud butt going (liquid poo + not grooming = :stonk: ), and frankly, just looks miserable. He's also incredibly paranoid about drinking water; he's always had a fountain, but it's always been on a counter. He can't get on the counter anymore, so it's on the floor; when he tries to drink, he's constantly looking around (probably for the dog, even though he made the ~80 pound dog his bitch years ago). The only way I can get him to drink is to close the door to the room that the fountain is in and sit with him.

In this month alone, he's been in for two rounds of IV fluids and vitamins (between 2 different vets), and he's going back downhill fast. I'm going to guess this isn't a good thing, but it's just a guess. :smith:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Hi, I have a real cat problem now.

I have two sister cats (between 1 and 2 years old). I feed them Wellness Core Grain Free - a quarter cup each in the morning and a quarter cup each in the evening. I've noticed that they've been leaving a bunch of food uneaten, one cat in particular doesn't seem very interested in eating it anymore. Their behaviour seems fine otherwise, but I've noticed the disinterested cat has been spending a lot of time under my bed, something that I know her sister does often but I haven't really seen this cat doing so. I've just tried giving them some Nature's Variety Instinct Raw samples that I use as treats and she snarfed it down. I suspect, but I'm not sure, that I just opened a new bag of Wellness Core (I have a bad memory for these sorts of things). Is it possible one bag of a brand of food to be bad? Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing where one cat just seemed completely uninterested in eating a food she's eaten before?

Thanks.

Your posts actually blew my mind a little because I am in a similar situation - eerily so. I used to give my two (who aren't related - one boy, one girl) Nature's Variety Instinct (non-Raw) which is no longer made, so I switched to Wellness CORE's "normal" formula and I've noticed that they don't seem to eat much. I give them a quarter-up each at 9:30 AM and PM and they will eat about half of it, then graze over the next few hours when they used to scarf everything down. Maybe this food is very filling, maybe they can't get too excited about it, but they aren't showing any other problems - they're still affectionate and playing and acting the same. I'm going to keep an eye on them, but money is a problem for me right now and I just bought a $41 12lb bag of that CORE food. If they don't like it long-term, I might try the new NVI Raw like you mentioned. I'm just upset about them discontinuing the pre-Raw line because both my cats loved it, it was an all-ages food (my tuxedo isn't fully grown yet) and it was reasonably priced. The Raw is a fair bit more expensive.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

My cats seem like they've eaten some Wellness Core today. Maybe I was worrying about nothing!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
With search being broken I probably haven't done enough diligence to ensure this isn't a complete repeat question, so I apologize. In fact, I'm almost certain it's a repeat so I apologize again. I read the portion of the OP pertaining to this but I want to perhaps get more guidance on my specific scenario.

Two cat household, same litter brand and box that we've used for about a year. We had some friends over with us for a few days, then left town for a few days after they left. When we came back, both cats had used the box without problem.

A few days after we returned, our little kitty started crapping in the hallway outside the room where the litter box is. She's about 6 years old or so and normally very vocal. Well, before she craps on the carpet, she gets REALLY vocal. It's subtle, but it is definitely different than her run-of-the-mill meowing (which she does a lot of as it is). This has happened about 4 times in the last week, and we're keeping the box spotless after the other cat uses it or she choses to use it. She's not peeing anywhere, she's specifically just dumping after a period of about 5 minutes of whining.

She went to the vet this morning along with the other for routine shots, checkup, and to discuss the making GBS threads problem. Vet says she's in great health, and a stool sample test didn't show any issues. Furthermore, we were pretty sure she pooped in the litter box last night so we thought maybe it was a temporary issue due to us having people in the house and leaving for a few days of vacation. The vet said she was probably acting out and would return to her normal litter habits before too much longer.

Well this evening she did the whole whining routine which got my wife and I paying a lot of attention to what she was doing in the hallway. It's like that "I'm pissed at the bird I can see outside this window," or "there's a bug crawling on the ceiling and I can't get it," type of meowing she does. I guess it sounds kinda distressed but she has always been a loud one so it's hard to tell. We did our best to keep an eye on her without freaking her out, but eventually she acted weird enough that we were pretty sure she was going to crap on the carpet again, so my wife took her into the room with the litter box and just sat in there with her for a few minutes. She ended up going into the box and using it. Her stool was runny this time (she may have been stressed from the vet visit earlier in the day). Maybe she would have used the box for this bowel movement but I'm highly doubting it. The ones she had left us on the carpet have been really soft but not runny.

We're going to make a follow up call to the vet tomorrow. We only have the 1 large catbox for 2 cats, which hasn't been a problem for the past 6 years they've lived with each other (at times with much smaller boxes than their current one even), but we'll go out and buy another one or two tonight and find somewhere to put them. She's not having a problem getting to the area where the box is, she's just crapping outside the room where it's located. It's upstairs, so I figured if it was an issue with proximity or her mobility she'd be crapping downstairs but she's not doing that.

Any other ideas?

She may even be crapping in the box occasionally, we're not 100% sure.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 11, 2014

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was just browsing news and noticed an article up on the BBC about the 'worlds oldest cat' dying at 24.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27794411

The cat in the pictures looks bloody ancient alright but I vaguely remember something about 30+ year old cats, I take it they weren't recognized officially?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The last paragraph notes local Austin hero Creme Puff is the oldest ever recorded record at 38. I assume this was just the oldest known currently living cat.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dogen posted:

The last paragraph notes local Austin hero Creme Puff is the oldest ever recorded record at 38. I assume this was just the oldest known currently living cat.

Yeah I read that but they use 'reported' after talking about Poppy as officially recognized which coupled with being after 2am confused me. I looked up the Guinness entry for oldest ever cat and it has Creme Puff at 38 yep. There's a hell of a gulf between 24 and 38, I wonder if there was any research done into how it lived so much longer especially since veterinary science should have improved a ton since the 60s.

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011
Need some cat advice.

I have two cats - a 3 year old female and a 6 year old male. They are both indoors only cats, and are normally quite happy and healthy. However, two days ago, my male kitty started vomiting a bunch (I know cats puke normally, but this wasn't normal hairball puking), so I took him to the vet. They weren't sure what was wrong with him, but they gave him an antibiotic, fluids and an anti-emetic to help his symptoms.

Yesterday he rested and then I could tell he felt a lot better. He was perky, had an appetite and drank, and was acting like his normal self. So yesterday, I gave him a cat of wet food (Natural Balance Ultra Formula), but then later he puked it up again and is now acting subdued. He also had a bit of bloody diarrhea. He's lost his appetite. Should I take him back to the vet tomorrow? He could still just be fighting whatever bug he got, since the antibiotic is still in his system. I'm just worried for my little dude and I don't what to do :(

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I'd get him back to the vet. I hope he feels better soon.

pizza cat
Jul 30, 2011

Ev posted:

I'd get him back to the vet. I hope he feels better soon.

Yeah, I'll call them in the morning. His breathing and heart rates are all normal, but I'm worried for him. He's my baby :(

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ratzap posted:

I was just browsing news and noticed an article up on the BBC about the 'worlds oldest cat' dying at 24.

poo poo, I just had a cat pass away earlier this year at 25 years old.

I guess there must be a lot of cats out there older than that that nobody knows about.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

dongsbot 9000 posted:

My cats seem like they've eaten some Wellness Core today. Maybe I was worrying about nothing!

Does Wellness have a guarantee where you live, if your pet wont eat the product they will refund your money? Wellness in Australia guarantee's its product for refund or exchange. This is the reason i brought the product because aka Terrorpuss doesn't like most dry foods.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

We had a new sofa delivered yesterday, and woke up to find that our cats had scratched the poo poo out of it overnight. I'm absolutely choked, as they've never really shown any interest in scratching furniture in the past. I'm guess it's just the canvas fabric they like? gently caress knows. Regardless, something needs to be done.

I'm going to head over to the pet shop later to get some Softpaws. The reviews i'm reading online are very polarising though - people either love them, or say they're utter shite. In particular, i've read reviews where people say their cat chewed their claws right off to get rid of them. Has anyone else here experienced something like that when using claw caps? I want to avoid any further damage but, at the same time, i don't want my cats to hurt themselves.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cats are going to scratch, you won't be able to stop them. If you don't have a scratching post for them, get one. Then give them treats when they scratch the post and spray them with water when they scratch your sofa.

They'll soon learn to leave it alone.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Talk about Softpaws

I put Softpaws on my cats a total of twice. Girl cat was disgruntled but suffered through it until they fell off on their own. Boy cat was a shithead and chewed all his off within a day of installment. When they work, they work really well. But if your cat is truly determined, Softpaws aren't going to stay on too long.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to give the softpaws a try, to see how they get on. My main concern is that I'm going away for the weekend, so desperately want to avoid coming back to find the couch shredded beyond recognition. I'll also invest in a spray bottle and a better scratchy post.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
A liberal sprinkle of catnip on the current scratching post may create a more appealing alternative to the new couch. And on the new one, should you pick one up. Also, try some double sided tape on the couch! My husband and I have used it to keep our cats from scratching at our bed with great success.
Hope it all works out for you.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Double sided sticky tape might help too....most cats don't like the feel of it on their paws.

At least mine didn't...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's pretty much what I've used. Extra wide (like 2 inches wide?) low tack double sided sticky tape that's sold as scratch deterrent. A few weeks after they stop scratching I can easily remove the stuff and they'll leave that piece of furniture alone. Plus I got a really tall scratching post that they just love using. It's about 3 feet so they can go for a full stretch and even climb up the thing if they wanted.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
My cat keeps making GBS threads outside of his litter box, and it's driving me crazy. I switched litter a while ago to world's best, and he hated it. Started peeing and pooping outside his litter box, so I totally cleaned his litter box and replaced it with cat attract. Now he'll pee in it, but he still feels the need to poo poo on the floor. It's a dumpy little cement room under the stairs so at least it's not on my carpet or anything, but what can I do here? Any ideas why he'll pee in it but not poop? Just took him to the vet a couple months ago for his checkup and vaccines and he was in great shape. He's about 6 years old, mostly indoor cat. I started letting him outside on his leash when I was gardening about the time he started making GBS threads on the floor actually. Could that be related?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CarrotFlowers posted:

My cat keeps making GBS threads outside of his litter box, and it's driving me crazy. I switched litter a while ago to world's best, and he hated it. Started peeing and pooping outside his litter box, so I totally cleaned his litter box and replaced it with cat attract. Now he'll pee in it, but he still feels the need to poo poo on the floor. It's a dumpy little cement room under the stairs so at least it's not on my carpet or anything, but what can I do here? Any ideas why he'll pee in it but not poop? Just took him to the vet a couple months ago for his checkup and vaccines and he was in great shape. He's about 6 years old, mostly indoor cat. I started letting him outside on his leash when I was gardening about the time he started making GBS threads on the floor actually. Could that be related?

Why are you continuing to use litter he hates? Get something he likes, it's just cat litter.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Deteriorata posted:

Why are you continuing to use litter he hates? Get something he likes, it's just cat litter.

I'm not? I switched it to cat attract after I realised he hated the world's best poo poo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'm not? I switched it to cat attract after I realised he hated the world's best poo poo.

Maybe he doesn't like Cat Attract, either. What were you using before he started having problems?

Try some boring old clay granules.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe he doesn't like Cat Attract, either. What were you using before he started having problems?

Try some boring old clay granules.

I was using cat attract, because he seemed to really like it. It's actually what got him using his covered litter box in the first place years ago. I used cat attract and plain clay stuff from the grocery store for a couple of years before switching to worlds best, which seems to have hosed everything up. Neither cat attract nor regular litter does the trick anymore.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What's the best position to hold a cat in to clip its claws? Pepper's pretty cooperative about the whole exercise but she'll still only give me a couple of minutes before she gets squirmy. I've been holding her on my lap on her back kind of upright like how a person sits (if that makes sense) but she has very tufty paws and it's hard to find her claws from that angle through all the fur there. It's especially difficult to reach her thumb claws and I usually can't manage it before she decides she's had enough. Is there a way I can hold her that would be more efficient? It's kind of hard to experiment because she will only give me a couple of minutes to work with at a time.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Organza Quiz posted:

What's the best position to hold a cat in to clip its claws? Pepper's pretty cooperative about the whole exercise but she'll still only give me a couple of minutes before she gets squirmy. I've been holding her on my lap on her back kind of upright like how a person sits (if that makes sense) but she has very tufty paws and it's hard to find her claws from that angle through all the fur there. It's especially difficult to reach her thumb claws and I usually can't manage it before she decides she's had enough. Is there a way I can hold her that would be more efficient? It's kind of hard to experiment because she will only give me a couple of minutes to work with at a time.
I put them on my lap on their back; it makes it easier to wrangle them and have access to their paws without having to cut at weird angles or worry about them running off. It's also very helpful for checking them out and cleaning out eye boogers or cleaning out their ears. Then again, this is only really viable if your cat will put up with it or if they're comfortable enough with being handled. One of my cats is totally fine with this, and the other took time before she'd stay there without squirming and constantly trying to jump off. Basically, I'd scoop her up, plop her in that position, then keep her there(a mix of chin scritches and wrangling) for gradually longer periods of time before giving her a signal and then letting her go.

If you have a squirmy or angry cat, I guess maybe try cat burrito-ing or maybe using a thundershirt? You could also try the large binder clip on the scruff thing, though that's never really done much for my cats.

Still, if you can get a couple minutes out of it before your cat gets squirmy, that's pretty good actually, and you might want to try to just get better at extending her nails and cutting them more efficiently. You can try the signal thing too; even if you're done, keep her there for just a little bit longer then give her a signal and let her go.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'll try to get a picture of my cat when I'm back home, but she's just a typical grey street cat.

The story of how we got her is kind of :3: This was 6ish years ago, I was 14 and walked outside to head to school and heard a high pitched mewing. I couldn't identify the source until later that evening as a tiny tiny tiny baby kitten in a tree. I tried to climb up and get her down but she was in a branch i couldn't reach, so i got a stick and poked her until she fell to a closer branch. After she fell, we decided to do the most foolproof method of running a cat off that we could think of, which is put a can of tuna down for her. Obviously she hung around, so i bought some cat food and sat outside in the 100 degree weather in the middle of July putting food a few feet away. Kept moving the food closer and closer until eventually she'd eat out of my hand and come up even when I didn't have food.

Then I grabbed her and brought her inside and she's been a constant joy in my life. When we took her to the vet he said she was only a few weeks old, barely old enough to eat solid food. She turned from smaller than the palm of my hand into eventually a very fat cat. I had to move to go to college 2 years ago but whenever my dad opens the door to my old room she knows I'm coming to visit and pitches a fit until I get there.

She got really really jealous when I brought my wife over to visit though, hah. She will act really sweet when I'm in the room, but when I leave she starts hissing and growling at my wife.

Oh, and she's named Kitty Kat because we're unimaginative.

duckfarts posted:

I put them on my lap on their back; it makes it easier to wrangle them and have access to their paws without having to cut at weird angles or worry about them running off. It's also very helpful for checking them out and cleaning out eye boogers or cleaning out their ears. Then again, this is only really viable if your cat will put up with it or if they're comfortable enough with being handled. One of my cats is totally fine with this, and the other took time before she'd stay there without squirming and constantly trying to jump off. Basically, I'd scoop her up, plop her in that position, then keep her there(a mix of chin scritches and wrangling) for gradually longer periods of time before giving her a signal and then letting her go.

If you have a squirmy or angry cat, I guess maybe try cat burrito-ing or maybe using a thundershirt? You could also try the large binder clip on the scruff thing, though that's never really done much for my cats.

Still, if you can get a couple minutes out of it before your cat gets squirmy, that's pretty good actually, and you might want to try to just get better at extending her nails and cutting them more efficiently. You can try the signal thing too; even if you're done, keep her there for just a little bit longer then give her a signal and let her go.

Edit: It's a two-man job to trim our cat's claws. We have to get one person to hold her in their arms on her back and another to wrangle her paws. She's stopped putting up as much of a fight but she whines the whole time and when we drop her, she looks at us like we betrayed her and runs off for a few minutes.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I guess we lucked out with oz and Pete. I just prop them up on my lap like a toddler and trim. They get squirmy after a while, especially Ozma, but in general they are patient enough to let me work and don't get angry or frightened.

Pizza is easily subdued by a few kisses in his head. He forgets the trimmer for a moment and thinks we're just cuddling

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So my 3 year old kitty went through a bad URI a few weeks ago, so bad she had to get feeding tubed in order to start eating again. That cleared up, the feeding tube is out, and she seems mainly 100% back to normal.

One thing that was noticeable during the URI were that her lymph nodes were hugely swollen. They went down after the treatment. Now they are back swollen again though, two grape sized lumps on her throat. No sneezing, no wheezing, still eating, just swollen lymph nodes.

While she was hospitalized she tested negative for FIV, FeLV, and lymphoma. The vet at the hospital said that she was concerned it wasn't just a URI though, due to her getting anemic and having some weird proteins elevated in her blood panels. At that point the vet said if she gets worse again it could indicate either a lymphoma that isn't able to be detected as easily, or she mentioned some rare fatal diseases I have never heard of that have no cure. Also, we refuse to put a cat through the torture of chemo, so if it is lymphoma then she is going to die from that anyway.

Is there any chance her lymph nodes could be swollen for just no reason? Or from still healing from the feeding tube being removed (which happened like 2 weeks ago)? Or are we just looking at soon to be dead kitty? Calling the vet today to make an appointment, but I just needed to vent somewhere.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
My cat's doing some weird pee stuff so I made an appointment with the vet.
They asked me to get her into the carrier 1.5 to 2 hours before the appointment to increase the chance that she has a full bladder for urinalysis.

So my questions are 1) is this typical and 2) how does one cope with living with a cat who no longer trusts and loves them because they did this?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fortis posted:

My cat's doing some weird pee stuff so I made an appointment with the vet.
They asked me to get her into the carrier 1.5 to 2 hours before the appointment to increase the chance that she has a full bladder for urinalysis.

So my questions are 1) is this typical and 2) how does one cope with living with a cat who no longer trusts and loves them because they did this?

I've never had them recommend that to me. Usually I just stuff her in the carrier right before I leave and most of the time they can get a urine sample. :shrug:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never had them recommend that to me. Usually I just stuff her in the carrier right before I leave and most of the time they can get a urine sample. :shrug:

Yeah, I told them I'd try my best, which means I'll probably just spend most of the time beforehand making sure she doesn't pee and get her in the carrier as close to leaving as possible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fortis posted:

Yeah, I told them I'd try my best, which means I'll probably just spend most of the time beforehand making sure she doesn't pee and get her in the carrier as close to leaving as possible.

IS it a frequent urination problem? Cats can hold their piss a hell of a lot better than humans can, so it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Iron Crowned posted:

IS it a frequent urination problem? Cats can hold their piss a hell of a lot better than humans can, so it probably wouldn't be an issue anyway.

She went a ton of times on Sunday and I didn't really notice as many clumps the next morning when I cleaned the box as I'd have expected to find. She also went outside of the box a couple times before the frequency increase. So I guess they're asking me to prevent her from going in case she tries to pee like 5 times in an hour before the appointment.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I've got 2 long hair cats, zoom groom + slicker and sometimes a molting brush is fine for the thicker fur one, but the one with thinner fur that actually rarely needs brushing doesn't seem to like (will get agitated and start biting) pretty much anything I've tried. The only luck I've had is with one of those full hand gloves and that was more because he didn't have much luck biting through the glove.

He is fine with normal petting as long as you watch his tail and back off if he hisses, we think his previous owner might have smacked him in the face or something regularly.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
This Sunday will be the big day, and I'm now thinking of getting a young cat rather than a kitten. A lot of the cats' names at the shelter are putting me off, however, so I'll probably end up renaming it. So how old is too old to rename a cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cats dont care what you call them. :catstare: