Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
I listened to it on the radio but it seemed like Ghana just threw it away. The announcers kept saying Ghana is pressing but they aren't giving it their all and making the shots count. Perhaps it was the crowd, and they didn't feel energized. There is probably a more technical explanation.

Of course the Americans did a great job of making the plays when it counted and that won them the game. Congrats on the victory, and at least you know you are FREE!* :patriot:

* to win it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

dkj posted:

lol at how mad everyone gets when we win

The United States will top their group with nine (9) points.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FowlTheOwl posted:

I listened to it on the radio but it seemed like Ghana just threw it away. The announcers kept saying Ghana is pressing but they aren't giving it their all and making the shots count. Perhaps it was the crowd, and they didn't feel energized. There is probably a more technical explanation.

Of course the Americans did a great job of making the plays when it counted and that won them the game. Congrats on the victory, and at least you know you are FREE! :patriot:

Ghana kept whiffing their shots. US goalkeeping was decent, but what saved them more often than not was the fact that every nicely-set shot sailed high over the crossbar or a little wide of the goal. Ghana did well to position their players and get shots at the goal, but they just kept missing. How many times did a Ghana cross get blasted high off towards the corner by an errant header?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

gotta say I didn't expect that this was ghana happen and it might be a bit controversial around here but the US team looks much better than the #1 contender for winning the world cup, the English team

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Teron D Amun posted:

gotta say I didn't expect that this was ghana happen and it might be a bit controversial around here but the US team looks much better than the #1 contender for winning the world cup, the English team

Book it; Engerland vs America world cup final, unfinished business.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Teron D Amun posted:

England isn't concerned with trivial tournaments like the World Cup. They're looking forward to more important things like Euro 2016, where they will totally dominate because Sturridge looked good in a match that they lost.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sterling looked great too.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Fair enough.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress Yeah America

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Ghana kept whiffing their shots. US goalkeeping was decent, but what saved them more often than not was the fact that every nicely-set shot sailed high over the crossbar or a little wide of the goal. Ghana did well to position their players and get shots at the goal, but they just kept missing. How many times did a Ghana cross get blasted high off towards the corner by an errant header?
Bookmakers to set Ghana as the early favorites for the first Gaelic Football World Cup to be held in 2016.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

FAUXTON posted:

Ghana never got into dangerous areas because the defense strictly policed them in a brutal yet necessary way

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
why were there so many american fans at a game that americans dont give a poo poo about

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

why were there so many american fans at a game that americans dont give a poo poo about

Bugchasers.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

i believe it

hello pissflaps

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You know all the hipster jokes we make about soccer fans in the US? They are 0% hyperbole and those people exist in the tens of thousands and wore scarves in 90 degree weather in Brazil. They call themselves the "American Outlaws." They are "Huge Fags."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

You know all the hipster jokes we make about soccer fans in the US? They are 0% hyperbole and those people exist in the tens of thousands and wore scarves in 90 degree weather in Brazil. They call themselves the "American Outlaws." They are "Huge Fags."

i didn't know the entire city of portland was in brazil

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

dkj posted:

lol at how mad everyone gets when we win

It's like how all the beta nerds get mad when the rich, smart, successful and good looking guy gets the girl

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Fat craft beer loving IT workers with ivy league attitudes toward gender realized they could live the "portland lifestyle" while staying in their third tier flyover cities so unfortunately Portland has gone viral nationwide, like AIDS.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

They're everywhere bud. Could be your grocer. Your neighbor. Guy you buy drugs from. They're like juggalos. You can sort of suspect it just by the way they talk and how you have an unexplainable urge to punch them, but it's not until they don the facepaint and start singing annoying poo poo that you really see them in all their pathetic glory.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
scary, i know

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

http://old.theamericanoutlaws.com/_wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Screen-Shot-2013-06-13-at-4.03.22-PM.png

Sperg
Jul 20, 2008

Theoretically, it is possible...

lol

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
USA ain't nuttin to mess with. :slick:

Also haha "Dale USA." Bitch we don't speak spanish or w/e here.

:patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot:

:patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot::911::patriot:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball is much cooler here than in other forums named for a type of ball

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i remember going to an FC dallas game and there were several different supporters clubs including one who called themselves the "elite" and were only for the True FC Dallas fans. wow you're at Pizza Hut Park we're so impressed.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Also haha "Dale USA." Bitch we don't speak spanish or w/e here.

Actually it's a tribute to a true American patriot taken away to soon....2/18/01 never forget

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
U.S. soccer has a weird complex where fans look to (mainly) Europe and don't like other aspects of U.S. sports cultures, they're hipster europhiles and they think a lot of what makes American sports unique (if applied to soccer) is embarrassing. But you're not fooling anyone. Honestly the U.S. should just slap a giant bald eagle on their uniforms and unofficially call themselves the American Fightin' Bald Eagles and roll out with that Hulk Hogan song blaring gently caress the planet consume destroy annihilate.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Omi-Polari posted:

U.S. soccer has a weird complex where fans look to (mainly) Europe and don't like other aspects of U.S. sports cultures, they're hipster europhiles and they think a lot of what makes American sports unique (if applied to soccer) is embarrassing. But you're not fooling anyone. Honestly the U.S. should just slap a giant bald eagle on their uniforms and unofficially call themselves the American Fightin' Bald Eagles and roll out with that Hulk Hogan song blaring gently caress the planet consume destroy annihilate.

This post is more correct than most of us would like to admit.

Personally I like football because it was the one sport as a kid I did not hate playing. That and the jerseys are pretty swank in a eurotrash sort of way.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Omi-Polari posted:

This is because for a long time, the majority of MLS/USA fans were only doing it because it was counter culture. The opposite to the standard US oo-rah manlyness of chest bumping football/hockey. It was the sport of the picked upon, the nerds and the non-jock. This is how you end up with the retarded family guy/mario tifos. They go to the game not to watch it, but to finally be a part of what they've always wanted to be. The group. With their silly scarves in 35 degree weather.

Now that football is gaining traction with the wider populace, they're starting to spit their dummies out about football not being the special snowflake sport now. Go on any of the MLS supporters groups forums (Particularly the Timbers Army) And you'll see loads of posts by people complaining about people not singing along to their stupid songs, telling the idiot 'capo's' to sit down and crying to security about getting a mouth full of abuse when they're pointing out people for ridicule because they wont do the tetris dance.

They'll move on to something else fairly shortly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Omi-Polari posted:

This would own.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

serious gaylord posted:

chicago, hopefully

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

but nobodys gonna see their tifos on tumblr

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Pissflaps posted:

This would own.

Agreed.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

serious gaylord posted:

This is because for a long time, the majority of MLS/USA fans were only doing it because it was counter culture. The opposite to the standard US oo-rah manlyness of chest bumping football/hockey. It was the sport of the picked upon, the nerds and the non-jock. This is how you end up with the retarded family guy/mario tifos. They go to the game not to watch it, but to finally be a part of what they've always wanted to be. The group. With their silly scarves in 35 degree weather.

Now that football is gaining traction with the wider populace, they're starting to spit their dummies out about football not being the special snowflake sport now. Go on any of the MLS supporters groups forums (Particularly the Timbers Army) And you'll see loads of posts by people complaining about people not singing along to their stupid songs, telling the idiot 'capo's' to sit down and crying to security about getting a mouth full of abuse when they're pointing out people for ridicule because they wont do the tetris dance.

I would also say that football in the US has excellent youth penetration (ahahaha), but it tends to be that later on it gets badly sidelined by the more mainstream US sports. That and we do not have the developed systems like South America/Europe have, where they are basically pumping out tons upon tons of dedicated players. We have college which is a smorgasbord of sports where football is far from a major focus/draw. The people I know who watch the game are less counter culture hipsters but on/off fans who often follow other sports more seriously. Also / / / / / / / / / /

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Omi-Polari posted:

The irony is that if you really enjoy the sport, you want to see it played by the best in the world, and the best 4 leagues in the world (probably the best 7 or so) are in Europe. The Champions League pits them all together, and is the best soccer you're going to see anywhere. So European stuff is going to play a role in how you watch the game whether you're legitimately interested or just want to feel smug telling people it's a kit, not a jersey. I'm going to see Man U and Roma play in the States for some little sham cup they do for all of us because they feel bad we're stuck with poo poo leagues, and I'm interested to see what the fans will be like outside of the MLS which I don't give a single gently caress about. I hope there's a bunch of Man U bandwagoners in replica jerseys who pretend to be ultras for a day while not knowing who anyone but Rooney is. :allears:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

unlawfulsoup posted:

That and we do not have the developed systems like South America/Europe have, where they are basically pumping out tons upon tons of dedicated players.

Yep. No academy system, no scouting, no nothing. American school athletics probably hurt more than they help when it comes to developing soccer players too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I would personally like to thank our soccer moms for building the USMNT into the group stage force that it is.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

England isn't concerned with trivial tournaments like the World Cup. They're looking forward to more important things like Euro 2016, where they will totally dominate because Sturridge looked good in a match that they lost.

Well of course. I mean look at how well they did at Euro 2012...

I mean uh...

Yeah.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Lots of racist anti-English sentiment on display in this thread. No surprise that its reached it's peak in the Germany/USMNT matchday thread. Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Pissflaps posted:

Lots of racist anti-English sentiment on display in this thread. No surprise that its reached it's peak in the Germany/USMNT matchday thread. Shameful.

That's because the Scottish are the only Englishmen worth a drat.

• Locked thread