Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
9 years web experience just means he's bringing the best of dot com design to tyool 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeruFM posted:

9 years web experience just means he's bringing the best of dot com design to tyool 2014

*she!!!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

impossible

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
she was apparently proud enough to link her site with all her deets and twitter

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm the guide dog icon for the "lecturer guide" butan

also unrelated but cellarmasters stores your password and emails it to you instead of pw reset :negative:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

ok so this is the site i ahve used at university to do stuff like sign a digital "i wont plagerise " form every time we do an exercise, and sometimes we get results here. (sometimes we get results via email, sometimes they are uploaded to a moodle system, sometimes they are uploaded to a trac system lol, its hilariously inconsisten)

look how bad this is

designed by a front end web developer with almost 9 years of apparent experience

wtfffffffffffffffff

my school also had a hosed up certificate and it was always just like....ugh!

also when they reset your password it would be like uh...the date and then your initials. (ors something maybe it was your student id number but that was really easy to track dwoN)

so if you wanted to hack someones account you could just reset someomes password and then log in with their easily guessable replacement password

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

some people are stupid

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

also when they reset your password it would be like uh...the date and then your initials. (ors something maybe it was your student id number but that was really easy to track dwoN)

so if you wanted to hack someones account you could just reset someomes password and then log in with their easily guessable replacement password

lol

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

incidentally 1000 TB oltp databases don't exist in the wild. they just don't. nobody's working set is that big.

640T ought to be enough for anybody

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Valeyard posted:

ok so this is the site i ahve used at university to do stuff like sign a digital "i wont plagerise " form every time we do an exercise, and sometimes we get results here. (sometimes we get results via email, sometimes they are uploaded to a moodle system, sometimes they are uploaded to a trac system lol, its hilariously inconsisten)

look how bad this is

designed by a front end web developer with almost 9 years of apparent experience

wtfffffffffffffffff

looks like all of those 9 years were spent designing pop up ads

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'll try to watch every lecture and do the exercises of this but dunno if I'll have much time to do the project assignments.

current status: today I installed java and intellij for this

it's kinda weird that this course has its own java stdlib :confused:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

current status: today I installed java and intellij for this

it's kinda weird that this course has its own java stdlib :confused:

i did (started) the stanford one and he'd just have some data and you'd run your algorithm on that data and paste in the output

pretty easy to cheese i guess but really if you're cheating at a free course that you wont get any sort of certification or acknowledgement for, you're cheating yourself.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
is there like... a guide to building an arbitrary precision arithmetic library in c/c++? i've been using infint but i kind of want to do it myself ~for the experience~

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

step 1: think about what it needs
step 2: implement step 1
step 3: goto step 1

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody posted:

step 1: think about what it needs
step 2: implement step 1
step 3: goto step 1

programming.txt

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

LARD LORD posted:

is there like... a guide to building an arbitrary precision arithmetic library in c/c++? i've been using infint but i kind of want to do it myself ~for the experience~

open knuth

also check out bsdnt

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

LARD LORD posted:

there is a book about bignum arithmetic http://www.amazon.co.uk/BigNum-Math-Implementing-Cryptographic-Arithmetic/dp/1597491128

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the easy way to think about it is "how does regular arithmetic work", then you think "how can i extend that to numbers bigger than a machine register"

if you really feel like it you can then think of faster ways to do those things, but that's not necessary if you're just after a working implementation

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

42 :iamafag:

I'm a really hoopy frood you guys :iamafag:

:mad:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
got my results back from 10 classes and still livinfg up to the terrible programmer name

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

im bad at debugging

something fails an = assignment to innerHTML in js, but there is no error, no browser warning, no debug message in the browser, it just never assigns to it and keeps going

is there any way i can catch this, i've set a break point on both the lines, and i have a watch set on innerHTML so i know it never gets assigned, and there are other parts of code which do successfully edit innerHTML

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Share Bear posted:

im bad at debugging

something fails an = assignment to innerHTML in js, but there is no error, no browser warning, no debug message in the browser, it just never assigns to it and keeps going

is there any way i can catch this, i've set a break point on both the lines, and i have a watch set on innerHTML so i know it never gets assigned, and there are other parts of code which do successfully edit innerHTML

how exactly are you trying to assign innerHTML?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Valeyard posted:

how exactly are you trying to assign innerHTML?

thing.innerHTML = parseThing(arg);

i break and step in on the return value for parseThing(), and see the <return> value in the debugger

the watch value for parseThing(arg) also shows the return value

this is in firefox, safari, and chrome, so i assume there's some magic to innerHTML

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Share Bear posted:

i break and step in on the return value for parseThing(), and see the <return> value in the debugger

ive had similar problems before and cant remember exactly why it wasnt being assigned properly, but here is a line ive used before which is failry similar and i know it works, if it helps

code:
$(this).find(".whatever")[0].innerHTML=$(this).find(".whatever")[0].innerHTML.replace(x, y)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

thanks for the code, but i'd really like to get to the bottom of why this is breaking and maybe report a bug. i have no idea where or what i'd have to look for in this case, firefox module logging also doesn't show crap etc

it makes me wonder how people like raymond chen even got that good at debugging giant piles of crap

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Share Bear posted:

this is in firefox, safari, and chrome, so i assume there's some magic to innerHTML
perturb one aspect at a time until you get the response you'd expect

does it work if you assign a trivial value to thing.innerHTML
does it work if you assign to properties of thing other than innerHTML
does it work if you assign to the innerHTML property of an element other than thing

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

coffeetable posted:

perturb one aspect at a time until you get the response you'd expect

does it work if you assign to the innerHTML property of an element other than thing

don't use javascript, get a job waiting tables if u have to

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

don't use javascript, get a job waiting tables if u have to

i make apps* for a living

*appetizers

quote:

bonus comedy points: i cannot edit the source or have it run locally, i am doing it live, and firefox's and chrome's debugger doesn't allow in place editing (chrome does have live JS editing, but that also does not really work)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it finally happened, I'm doing a webdev. spent the day getting client certificate authentication work properly. woulda been a whole lot easier if my company firewall didn't block jboss.org for some dumb reason but hey, at least i avoided having to use php

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

got my meagre exam results today, my highest grade and only A was in the webdev class :getin:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Share Bear posted:

i make apps* for a living

*appetizers

bonus comedy points: i cannot edit the source or have it run locally, i am doing it live, and firefox's and chrome's debugger doesn't allow in place editing (chrome does have live JS editing, but that also does not really work)

probably goes without saying but make sure you aren't letting any unexpected poo poo run when you set innerhtml (see the recent tweetdeck XSS)

Unrelatedly i just experienced the eclipse update tool. It actually worked I am surprised

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Valeyard posted:

got my meagre exam results today, my highest grade and only A was in the webdev class :getin:

this looks a lot like the software my uni used to show grades. however wtf do your grades mean?? A5?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

telemetry should never be "important"

herp derp eye tracking studies are too expensive let's spend a million dollars a month on freshly graduated "data scientists" and try to let a clustering algo extract meaning from our garbage data

:laffo: @ everything you posted in the past two pages....

made my day thx

hope you are close to retirement

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

this looks a lot like the software my uni used to show grades. however wtf do your grades mean?? A5?

A1-A5 are five different grades to distinguise between...85% and 70% where A1 is the highest. the rest of the grades only go, for example, B3-B1

its dumb

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so you got the worst a and then a bunch of even badder grades?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yup, i didnt do well

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Valeyard posted:

yup, i didnt do well

yos++ is much more meaningful irl than you are grades so your actually doing pretty well

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

yos++ is much more meaningful irl than you are grades so your actually doing pretty well

this but 180 degrees

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Valeyard posted:

i made this helpful visualization and you sunk my battleship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Bloody posted:

this but 180 degrees

after your first job who even gives a poo poo about your education

• Locked thread