Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Fremry posted:

Since I finally broke down and bought a Wii U, and I never owned a Wii, what are the must have Wii games that I should catch up on?

I don't believe anyone has recommended Wario Land: Shake It! or Rhythm Heaven Fever - those are particularly strong games (although I've heard that RHF has a slight delay that makes it nearly unplayable on the vWii, so that'd be awesome if someone could get that checked out). I think I'll be including a list of recommended Wii titles somewhere in the magical new OP, since I've noticed over time that there are a lot of people who picked up the Wii U without already owning a Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Suaimhneas posted:

Pick the online option and then "friends and rivals". It'll show you a list of everyone in your friends list and also anyone you've raced with recently. Anyone who's in a race will have a chequered flag icon next to their name. You can choose to join them and if they're in a tournament it'll tell you the tournament's name before you join.

Awesome--thanks! And it worked out for both of us (although you are just destroying me)!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Apparently that third guy who just joined didn't get the memo that this was an all-shyguy race :colbert:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Holy poo poo 3D World is the best mario game I have played since originally buying SMRPG at release. I haven't tried single player yet, but had a friend over last weekend and it was so much fun running around as cats and trying to throw him off ledges and at one point I got an awesome super big mario powerup and it was the greatest moment in my recent gaming history.

gently caress getting infuriated playing League of Legends with four five mouthbreathers on my team, Nintendo games are so chill and fun well that's all I got, bye.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 17, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gray Matter posted:

Nintendo games are so chill and fun well that's all I got, bye.

Oh you sweet summer child :getin:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Holy poo poo 3D World is the best mario game I have played since originally buying SMRPG at release. I haven't tried single player yet, but had a friend over last weekend and it was so much fun running around as cats and trying to throw him off ledges and at one point I got an awesome super big mario powerup and it was the greatest moment in my recent gaming history.

gently caress getting infuriated playing League of Legends with four mouthbreathers on my team, Nintendo games are so chill and fun well that's all I got, bye.

Kill your friends, take their crowns

aton
Jul 23, 2008
Boom Blox and it's sequel Bash Party are on my favorite Wii game list. Super fun with friends! Also, adding to the list of good light gun games: The Conduit.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Gray Matter posted:

gently caress getting infuriated playing League of Legends with four five mouthbreathers on my team, Nintendo games are so chill and fun well that's all I got, bye.

Wait till you get to Switchboard Falls, or as we call it Switchboard Hell.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Just so I'm not disappointed later and lambasted, would these speakers work with the adapter I bought? Logic is telling me yes, but, hey. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000417-Speakers-Z130/dp/B003CP0OT2/ref=pd_ybh_5

Also, thanks for all your help. It's totally appreciated in ways I can't describe.

e: Ended up buying this one off eBay. The price difference is okay enough for me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/310981512168

e2: It looks like I'd need your adapter to use the z130 since it's a laptop-geared speaker set and wants you to plug into the computer. I'm assuming with this adapter, I'll also be able to plug in some headphones every now and again.
Yeah I think most PC speakers have a male plug like that. You can get the type of cable I linked or get a gender changer plug, it's not a big deal. They won't work well for headphones though unless you have an inline volume control to turn it down since it's essentially at 100% volume coming out. But it looks like that speaker set has a headphone jack on it anyways so you can use headphones through that.

Sarchasm posted:

If you like lightgun stuff I'd also suggest the Dead Space lightgun game. Avoid the Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles titles, everything feels bullet spongy with weird hitboxes.
And if you want arcade light gun stuff there's a few Sega ones. Off the top of my head there's House of the Dead 2+3 (and Overkill but that's not an arcade port), Gunblade NY+LA Machineguns, and Ghost Squad. Now I just remembered that there were never Virtua Cop or Confidential Mission ports :argh:.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fremry posted:

Since I finally broke down and bought a Wii U, and I never owned a Wii, what are the must have Wii games that I should catch up on?

Muramasa's pretty good.

WeAreDevo
Oct 4, 2004

A: We are D E V O

Widestancer posted:

Mad World is amazing and underrated as hell.

:thumbsup:

I'd have to heavily 2nd this. Mad World, with it's constant running, gameshow commentary from Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, was so funny that I found myself cry-laughing at many points throughout the game.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

It really is, it's probably one of my top 10 favorite games ever honestly. My only complaint is that it's a bit too short.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So got my refurb WiiU. Ordered ZombiU and Wonderful 101. I plan to pick up Mario Kart 8 and register it for Windwaker HD.
Snagged NES Remix 1 and 2 on the eShop. Earthbound is my next target.

Anything else I should know about?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wonder how much more stuff Nintendo has up their sleeve. We know Pokken Fighter is a thing, yet they didn't even bother showing it on E3, I'd assume it's very much at a point where you can show it if they had a tiny teaser a year ago.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I wonder how much more stuff Nintendo has up their sleeve. We know Pokken Fighter is a thing, yet they didn't even bother showing it on E3, I'd assume it's very much at a point where you can show it if they had a tiny teaser a year ago.

What teaser?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

elf help book posted:

What teaser?

There was a pokemon game show a year ago showing off X and Y before they came out, there was a video about the history of pokemon that ended with Blaziken and Lucario standing like they were in a fighting game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ifspg5ZCkw

Sollah
Apr 23, 2011

Lewd Buster

Fremry posted:

I know others have already mentioned it, but Rhythm Heaven Fever is a very fun, charming, and simple rhythm game. It also doesn't try to shoehorn in any kind of motion controls, which is a HUGE plus imho. It makes most of the game frustration free, though the game can get really hard later on. :(

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I ordered a refurb last Friday because of how highly it's been praised in the thread, and I've been passing the time by buying games and accessories for a system I don't yet own and obsessively watching over my e-mail/order status to see when it's going to change from "submitted".

I haven't seen anyone mention much about a screen protector for the Wii U gamepad, which seems kind of strange compared to how often it's brought up in the 3DS thread. Is it just not as important as a 3DS protector because you're using it inside or is it just an unspoken rule that you should always have a screen protector for a touch screen thing?

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
My Wii U console stubbornly refuses to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl most of the time. I bought a used copy to play in anticipation of the new game coming out and while the console consistently recognized the disc and displayed the splash screen, all I got was a black screen once the game started- had to unplug the console to unfreeze the system. I replaced it with another copy in better condition, and lo and behold; same goddamn problem; except now the console will actually launch the game half the time. Once I'm in the game, I have no other issues. I seem to remember hearing about Smash Bros. being a troublesome disc on certain Wii consoles since it's dual layered, but my fiancee recently played through 90+ hours of Xenoblade Chronicles on the same console without a single issue and all my other Wii games seem to boot up just fine. Is there some known issue with Smash Bros. on the Wii U, or am I just unlucky? Is there a good method to clean the lens on the Wii U do eliminate that as an issue? Are there a large number of Smash Bros. discs that are just bad pressings?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sollah posted:

I know others have already mentioned it, but Rhythm Heaven Fever is a very fun, charming, and simple rhythm game. It also doesn't try to shoehorn in any kind of motion controls, which is a HUGE plus imho. It makes most of the game frustration free, though the game can get really hard later on. :(

I wish the rhythm heaven games were much more difficult. I got perfect on the majority of those games my first run through :negative:

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!

Sollah posted:

Just want to second this recommendation; I got my copy at a GoHastings.com sale for about $3, and it's the best bargain bin game I've ever purchased.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Space Harrier posted:

My Wii U console stubbornly refuses to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl most of the time. I bought a used copy to play in anticipation of the new game coming out and while the console consistently recognized the disc and displayed the splash screen, all I got was a black screen once the game started- had to unplug the console to unfreeze the system. I replaced it with another copy in better condition, and lo and behold; same goddamn problem; except now the console will actually launch the game half the time. Once I'm in the game, I have no other issues. I seem to remember hearing about Smash Bros. being a troublesome disc on certain Wii consoles since it's dual layered, but my fiancee recently played through 90+ hours of Xenoblade Chronicles on the same console without a single issue and all my other Wii games seem to boot up just fine. Is there some known issue with Smash Bros. on the Wii U, or am I just unlucky? Is there a good method to clean the lens on the Wii U do eliminate that as an issue? Are there a large number of Smash Bros. discs that are just bad pressings?

I think you've just gotten unlucky. Brawl should work perfectly fine on the Wii U, and I've played a lot of it on mine with friends. The dual layer issue won't affect any Wii U since they read Blu-rays and they use an even stronger laser than a DL disk.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Crown Face posted:

I ordered a refurb last Friday because of how highly it's been praised in the thread, and I've been passing the time by buying games and accessories for a system I don't yet own and obsessively watching over my e-mail/order status to see when it's going to change from "submitted".

I haven't seen anyone mention much about a screen protector for the Wii U gamepad, which seems kind of strange compared to how often it's brought up in the 3DS thread. Is it just not as important as a 3DS protector because you're using it inside or is it just an unspoken rule that you should always have a screen protector for a touch screen thing?
Get this one right here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Precision-Screen-Filter-Nintendo/dp/B009NRO1J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402974113&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+gamepad

Easily the best/most frustration-free screen protector I've installed on any device. Just try to order directly from Amazon or at least make certain they send you the correct one. First time I ordered one from a third-party seller, in addition to taking 2 weeks to ship they sent me some lovely Asian knockoff. There was no Nintendo seal of quality on the packaging and it was all in Chinese or Japanese. It was trash compared to the genuine one that I ordered.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 17, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

RadicalR posted:

So got my refurb WiiU. Ordered ZombiU and Wonderful 101. I plan to pick up Mario Kart 8 and register it for Windwaker HD.
Snagged NES Remix 1 and 2 on the eShop. Earthbound is my next target.

Anything else I should know about?

Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong are amazing. Monster Hunter 3U, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U(Also the standalone/DLC NSLU) and Lego City Undercover are great. Sonic All Star Racing Transformed and Need for Speed Most Wanted U have their best console ports on the WiiU. Sonic Lost World is a mixed bag but it's a Sonic game (mostly) if you're into that.

I think that's all the top games for now. Hyrule Warriors on Sept 26th, Bayo 1/2 in Oct, Smash in late Nov/Dec. and MOTHERFUCKIN CAPTAIN TOADS WILD RIDE (treasure tracker) in Dec.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Crown Face posted:

Hori makes the officially licensed one, and it's around $6. I guess it's generally a good idea to pick one up. I use the touch screen on the Wii U about a billion times more often than I do the one on the 3DS (some games utilize it a lot,) and the fact that the screen is constantly exposed puts it at even greater risk for wear.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im so happy theyre releasing Bayo1 with bayo2. I never played the first one so its gonna just feel like one really long game

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who's ridiculously excited for the Captain Toad game. I love those levels in SM3DW so much.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I'm pretty interested in the Captain Toad game too. I think I'll like the Captain Toad levels a lot more outside of 3D World. Since I only ever played SM3DW with two players, suddenly restricting the game to one player made the levels seem really out of place, like an afterthought or a side-project that wouldn't fit anywhere else.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

kimpira posted:

like an afterthought or a side-project that wouldn't fit anywhere else.

Or like an interest-check for a solo Captain Toad game! :tinfoil:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Jolo posted:

I bought a used Wii U from someone who had bought a few games digitally, so I can answer that part of your question.

The Wii U is capable of having multiple users with Nintendo Network IDs. If you buy it, you can use the ID from your 3ds and just set it as the default user and it'll log on to your ID each time. If the previous owner bought some games on the system, you'll want to leave her User and NNID on the system. If you remove her User, you'll be unable to play any of the games that she purchased on the system. The games are tied to the system, but still do some kind of check for the NNID. Basically, when you go to the eshop you'll be able to pull up a list of everything bought on that console with the ability to download. If you remove a NNID with games purchased, it'll remove the ability to play games that are already on the system that were purchased by that ID AND it will remove the games from the list on the eshop's list of games on the console. The nice thing is, even if you don't have the previous user's ID/password information (I don't), you can still access everything that they bought from your own Nintendo Network ID.

Thank you! The lady i bought it from gave me the username and password for her NNID, too, so i have full access to the account. She did a factory reset of the console before giving it to me and then redownloaded everything.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
The only concern I have for Captain Toad is that while all those SM3DW levels were awesome, they had zero replay value. I hope there is something more to the game besides time and gold coin trials.

Malt fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 17, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Hey, to those of you who bought the refurbished unit from Nintendo, I know they don't include the charging cradle, but do they include the stands for the Gamepad or console?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Ultigonio posted:

Hey, to those of you who bought the refurbished unit from Nintendo, I know they don't include the charging cradle, but do they include the stands for the Gamepad or console?

At least with mine, they didn't.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RadicalR posted:

At least with mine, they didn't.

I'm still waiting on mine, but the website does not list them as included.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Fremry posted:

Little King's Story.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The battery life in the stupid tablet controller is so abysmal, holy poo poo, 4 hours at most.

If you are considering buying a Wii U be warned that you will either need to use the AC adapter most of the time, buy the improved battery (expensive) or get the Pro Controller.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Mr. Neutron posted:

The battery life in the stupid tablet controller is so abysmal, holy poo poo, 4 hours at most.

If you are considering buying a Wii U be warned that you will either need to use the AC adapter most of the time, buy the improved battery (expensive) or get the Pro Controller.

You can get the Pro Controller off of Ebay for a decent price. That's where I got mine.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

you can turn down the back light. It helps the battery life a lot.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
How often do you really play 4+ hours at once?

Also, the Gamepad AC adapter is independent from the console, so you can just plug it in anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

I'm thinking of trading in my old ps3 and 3DS which i never play at gamestop and picking up a wii u for another ~150. I have a PS4, but I rarely play it since there are so few good games. Interested in the wii u for the casual and fun games like mario/kart/party, smash bros etc and the cable integration (can you watch tv shows on the remote itself? say at my computer desk?).

Theres a truly incredible amount of well reviewed games that look amazing - which would be the 2-3 that you guys would suggest? The new mario kart will probably have to be one of them, and 3d mario world looks great. Wind waker HD worth picking up?

Trying to avoid buying a million games since so many look great, might just resub to gamefly. From the OP it seems that the basic version is better value for money, is that the consensus?

thehacker0 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread