Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

That doesn't prove God exist. It was written by man, egro God was made up.

At the Hampton Court Conference the Lord entered King James like Bran Stark enters Hodor and made the perfect interpretation of his will known to men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RadicalR posted:

That doesn't prove God exist. It was written by man, egro God was made up.

But the Bible itself says the Bible came from God. And we can trust the Bible because it makes truthful and authoritative claims about how bats are birds.

VVV Good point, you're right. VVV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 17, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

But the Bible itself says the Bible came from God. And we can trust the Bible because it makes truthful and authoritative claims about how bats are birds.

I don't think an ancient Levantine culture really cared that animals were classified correctly. You're reaching pretty hard on that one.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SedanChair posted:

At the Hampton Court Conference the Lord entered King James like Bran Stark enters Hodor and made the perfect interpretation of his will known to men.

Which is perfectly acceptable as long as it's like Bran, and not like Renly. That's when you start losing the base...

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

I don't think an ancient Levantine culture really cared that animals were classified correctly. You're reaching pretty hard on that one.

It was kind of important to them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Regarding a Dumb Criminal Story about someone who tried to pay for a false hooker with a salad Michael Medved said "Well I'm sure he'll have plenty of salad to eat... in the pokey."

I don't think it was intentional because this is a guy who will tell you exactly how many swears a movie has if it peeves him off enough.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Ethiser posted:

It's only a problem if you regard the Bible as the infallible word of God.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

All properly-designed scientific experiments have a control group. Without an identical copy of Earth where an industrial society never develops, you have no idea if the current climate trajectory is different from a control group, therefore

You know the above sounds like a joke, but I actually went to SAS training in DC taught by some former Columbia professor who's now and a consultant and also public health worker for the UN that appeared to doubt the evidence for climate change and cited the lack of a control earth as a legitimate issue.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I've heard that Venus and Mars, together, actually make up a half-decent control group. They are both Earth-like in physical make up, with Venus showing how a natural version of global warming occurs and Mars showing how a thin atmosphere can retain heat.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The hebrew word that is being translated as "bird" was their word for "flying animal" and had no scientific connotations whatsoever.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

The Book of Hodor, according to Bran

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Would Fox New's version of "The New Colossus" be:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free....except the Mexicans, gently caress them"?

I do wonder if judging by their coverage of the Mexican immigration scandal, they'd have been on the "No Italians, No Irish" side of history back in the day

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OAquinas posted:

Which is perfectly acceptable as long as it's like Bran, and not like Renly. That's when you start losing the base...

That was the Duke of Buckingham's job, not the Lord's.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has the RNC squirrel mascot even been brought up in RWM circles yet? I can't wait to see how they spin this turd.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free....except the Mexicans, gently caress them"?

More like "Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.... but only if you completely abandon your cultural heritage, learn our language way ahead of time, and conform to every social convention we expect of you, therefore 'integrating' instantaneously"

quote:

I do wonder if judging by their coverage of the Mexican immigration scandal, they'd have been on the "No Italians, No Irish" side of history back in the day

Of course they would because most of Freep thinks that Catholics aren't Real Christians.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ry.html?hpid=z6

quote:

Representatives of prominent conservative groups converged on the Heritage Foundation on Monday afternoon for the umpteenth in a series of gatherings to draw attention to the Benghazi controversy.

But this one took an unexpected turn.

What began as a session purportedly about “unanswered questions” surrounding the September 2012 attacks on U.S. facilities in Libya deteriorated into the ugly taunting of a woman in the room who wore an Islamic head covering.

The session, as usual, quickly moved beyond the specifics of the assaults that left four Americans dead to accusations about the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrating the Obama administration, President Obama funding jihadists in their quest to destroy the United States, Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton attempting to impose Sharia blasphemy laws on Americans and Al Jazeera America being an organ of “enemy propaganda.”

Then Saba Ahmed, an American University law student, stood in the back of the room and asked a question in a soft voice. “We portray Islam and all Muslims as bad, but there’s 1.8 billion followers of Islam,” she told them. “We have 8 million-plus Muslim Americans in this country and I don’t see them represented here.”

Panelist Brigitte Gabriel of a group called ACT! for America pounced. She said “180 million to 300 million” Muslims are “dedicated to the destruction of Western civilization.” She told Ahmed that the “peaceful majority were irrelevant” in the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and she drew a Hitler comparison: “Most Germans were peaceful, yet the Nazis drove the agenda and as a result, 60 million died.”

“Are you an American?” Gabriel demanded of Ahmed, after accusing her of taking “the limelight” and before informing her that her “political correctness” belongs “in the garbage.”

“Where are the others speaking out?” Ahmed was asked. This drew an extended standing ovation from the nearly 150 people in the room, complete with cheers.

The panel’s moderator, conservative radio host Chris Plante, grinned and joined in the assault. “Can you tell me who the head of the Muslim peace movement is?” he demanded of Ahmed.

“Yeah,” audience members taunted, “yeah.”

Ahmed answered quietly, as before. “I guess it’s me right now,” she said.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 17, 2014

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Conservatives are literally children.

I know it's been said a million times but it bears repeating after reading that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's impressive how openly racist the conservatives are allowed to be.

I know it would have gone over terribly but I'd have loved her response to have been "who's the head of the Christian peace movement?" to get whatever asinine answer they would come up with on the spot.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

But it was Gabriel, a Lebanese Christian by birth, who was most vitriolic when Ahmed asked her question. Gabriel dismissed as “irrelevant” the “2.3 million Arab Muslims living in the United States [when] it took 19 hijackers — 19 radicals — to bring America down.” She mocked Ahmed’s “point about peaceful, moderate Muslims” by making quotation marks with her fingers when she said the word peaceful.

the scary part isn't that the Pam Gellers and Brigette Gabriels exist, it's that the other people didn't feel this was out of line.

is anti-Islamism a 9/11 thing, an always thing, or frustrated racists looking for a group they can hate on in a socially acceptable matter?

do these people not remember the worldwide outpouring of support for the US after 9/11?

of course despite their obsession with Benghazi they probably haven't even seen images like this.

Gabriel's hatred is palpable. You can tell she'd love to drop the code words.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Radish posted:

I know it would have gone over terribly but I'd have loved her response to have been "who's the head of the Christian peace movement?" to get whatever asinine answer they would come up with on the spot.

"Taliban" is actually a word used for Muslims in white suburban America, from what I've gathered. Our country is ridiculously hateful even today.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

The best possible answer would be if some smug gently caress said "Jesus :smug:" because then she could've called them out for being the exact opposite of how Jesus would ostensibly behave in that situation.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Radish posted:

This is mostly my privilege talking (because its unlikely that if such talk gets out of hand that it'll be my head that gets cracked open), but I'm kind of delighted by all this crazy talk. Every year, another several million Millennials reach voting age - a cohort that's increasingly non-white and non-Christian - and they look around and see one of the two main political parties proudly pulling poo poo like this. Every year that goes by where Republicans cater to the rapidly dwindling electoral sector of scared old white conservatives at the direct expense of appealing to, well, anyone else is another load of bricks with which to build their mausoleum. They just keep digging that hole. They're so trapped in the sealed Fox/Limbaugh information cocoon that they can't even recognize basic facts of demographics - to them, there will always be a nigh-unlimited number of conservative white voters Out There who just need to be energized to go the to polls and then all will be well, for ever and ever, amen.

I've never seen anything like it. From the deepest pit of hell, Lee Atwater is screaming at them to change course, but no one is listening to him (except the demon on duty who tells him to shut up and pours another cauldron of flaming oily poo poo over his flayed skin).

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beamed posted:

"Taliban" is actually a word used for Muslims in white suburban America, from what I've gathered. Our country is ridiculously hateful even today.

The crappy talk station in my state said Obama exchanged 5 Al Qaeda leaders for 1 POW

So al qaeda = taliban = Muslim = terrorist

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FMguru posted:

This is mostly my privilege talking (because its unlikely that if such talk gets out of hand that it'll be my head that gets cracked open), but I'm kind of delighted by all this crazy talk. Every year, another several million Millennials reach voting age - a cohort that's increasingly non-white and non-Christian - and they look around and see one of the two main political parties proudly pulling poo poo like this. Every year that goes by where Republicans cater to the rapidly dwindling electoral sector of scared old white conservatives at the direct expense of appealing to, well, anyone else is another load of bricks with which to build their mausoleum. They just keep digging that hole. They're so trapped in the sealed Fox/Limbaugh information cocoon that they can't even recognize basic facts of demographics - to them, there will always be a nigh-unlimited number of conservative white voters Out There who just need to be energized to go the to polls and then all will be well, for ever and ever, amen.

I've never seen anything like it. From the deepest pit of hell, Lee Atwater is screaming at them to change course, but no one is listening to him (except the demon on duty who tells him to shut up and pours another cauldron of flaming oily poo poo over his flayed skin).

Yeah I agree I'd (as an admitted white male that is privileged to not face the insult of these things) rather them be outward with this stuff so that people can see them for what they really are. Anytime some Republican starts talking about not being so racist or sexist you have to parse what they are saying correctly. They almost NEVER say that their party members should stop enacting policies that hurt minorities or women, just that they shouldn't be so open about saying what they are doing. Those guys are the real evil since they know what's up but willingly try and mislead people in order to enact their lovely goals.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is there any doubt about any of this??

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've seen that picture before, but today it struck me - people from Benghazi (Benghazers? Benghazians?) have excellent handwriting.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Xibanya posted:

I've seen that picture before, but today it struck me - people from Benghazi (Benghazers? Benghazians?) have excellent handwriting.

its almost like Muslim cultures place a lot of emphasis on it or something

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Rightwing rebuilding: let's continue to alienate a group that has historically voted for us at around 90% and now votes for us below 10%.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Xibanya posted:

And better english grammar/spelling than signs you see at tea party rallies.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm reasonably sure I've worked with that Saba Ahmed and she is the nicest woman on the planet.

Oh, and she's a Republican. Good job reaching out to conservatives of faith, Heritage Foundation.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

That Heritage thing reads like conservative shitthatdidnthappen.txt but at the end everyone stood up and applauded the evil professor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Republicans' anti-Muslim stance is one of the things that really amuses me. If the Republicans dropped their Islamophobia, traditional Muslims would be an ideal Republican voting bloc.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

The Republicans' anti-Muslim stance is one of the things that really amuses me. If the Republicans dropped their Islamophobia, traditional Muslims would be an ideal Republican voting bloc.
Well like someone said above, they used to be one.

It's kind of like how California used to be a solid red state until the GOP went full-on "gently caress the Mexicans."

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

FuzzySkinner posted:

"Give me your tired energetic, no room for lazy slackers in America,
Your poor rich, white Job Creators
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free, actually you know what? Beat it. Country's full."

e: And, I swear if Fox News existed pre-WW2, they'd be stoking anti-semitic fires.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 17, 2014

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Are you American?

Are you American?

Are you American?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

It's not really a stance, they just can't help themselves.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

The Rokstar posted:

Well like someone said above, they used to be one.

It's kind of like how California used to be a solid red state until the GOP went full-on "gently caress the Mexicans."

Texas has been pushing it's way to blue since this happened too, it's just taking a bit more time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

You remember Dinesh D'Souza who did documentary called Obama 2016 and is about to be sentenced to prison?

He said this last night

quote:

As D’Souza sees it, Obama comes from a generation that views America as “a force for evil.” He did not mention that both he and the president were born in 1961. “You can say this group believes in American Exceptionalism, but instead of believing that we’re exceptionally good, they believe we’re exceptionally evil,” he added.

“It sounds like you’re accusing him of being almost anti-American,” Kelly said later. “If he were anti-American, if he didn’t love his country, why would he want to be president of it?”

This led to D’Souza’s bizarre analogy:

“If I was in a family and I believed my dad was some kind of a serial killer or a child molester, I would still love him. He would be part of my family, but I’d do everything I could to prevent him from doing evil actions.
I would think that would be good for the world and for my dad. So with Obama, he believes he’s doing the world a favor and America a favor by controlling this rogue elephant that is the United States.”

“So America is the child molester in this scenario?” Kelly asked as she started to laugh. “I’m just trying to follow, Dinesh. I think we may have jumped off the deep end.”

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You guys were in the deep end a decade ago, you're drilling into the Marianas Trench now.

This should be fun:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2a52_story.html

quote:

U.S. Special Operations forces captured one of the suspected ringleaders of the terrorist attacks in Benghazi in a secret raid in Libya over the weekend, the first time one of the accused perpetrators of the 2012 assaults has been apprehended, according to U.S. officials.

The officials said Ahmed Abu Khattala was captured Sunday near Benghazi by American troops, working alongside the FBI, following months of planning, and was now in U.S. custody “in a secure location outside Libya.” The officials said there were no casualties in the operation, and that all U.S. personnel involved have safely left Libya.

Abu Khattala’s apprehension is a major victory for the Obama administration, which has been criticized for having failed so far to bring those responsible for the Benghazi attacks to justice.

Taking bets now on how this is actually a bad thing, immediately disqualifying "too little too late" and "what convenient timing" as too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FoxNews knows why Benhazi guy was captured

quote:

A Fox News anchor suggested that President Obama captured one of the alleged architects of the September 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi to boost Hillary Clinton’s presidential prospects.
Speaking on Fox News’ Outnumbered just moments after news broke that the United States had capture Ahmed Abu Khattala, Kennedy mused, “you have a former Secretary of State who is in the middle of a high profile book tour, I think this is convenient for her to shift the talking points to some of the things she has been discussing.”

I guess this sets the stage for future book tours