Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I'd love it if there was an orc or goblin planeswalker in the khans block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, shouldn't we be getting DotP 2015...like, any minute now?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wurzag posted:

I'd love it if there was an orc or goblin planeswalker in the khans block

"Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka, Gitsmasha"
:allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Still eagerly awaiting the first 5 colour planeswalker Wizards. :getin:

I think Karn is technically the 5-color walker.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Angry Grimace posted:

I think Karn is technically the 5-color walker.

Well, no. Technically he's Colorless, because he has no color in his mana cost and no color indicator showing him as a specific color.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I thought he was technically the artifact walker, but making him an artifact as well as a planeswalker would make him only more busted.

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

CountFosco posted:

Ugin as a planeswalker card which costs as much as nicol bolas but is colorless. Baller.

Also, vintage masters continues to entertain. Split an 8-4 with this nasty piece of business:

If that doesn't work, the link: https://twitter.com/monolith94/status/478917490190200833

No dark ritual for the potential 3x Carnophage on turn 1? I figure that has demand a concession.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Boxman posted:

So, shouldn't we be getting DotP 2015...like, any minute now?

M15 previews start next week. We'll presumably get D15 after or during, if previous years are any indication. WotC doesn't like to definitively say when DotP comes out for some reason.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mcnealys baby posted:

No dark ritual for the potential 3x Carnophage on turn 1? I figure that has demand a concession.

Yah that deck should definitely be running Ritual. 4+ power on turn one is really tough to beat, even in a more powerful limited format like this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yah that deck should definitely be running Ritual. 4+ power on turn one is really tough to beat, even in a more powerful limited format like this.

If you are running a black deck, you should be running as many Rituals as you can find. This is why they don't print Ritual anymore.

Jenx posted:

Well, no. Technically he's Colorless, because he has no color in his mana cost and no color indicator showing him as a specific color.

I meant storywise, he's the 5-color 'walker. He's not going to be printed as such because a 5-color walker is an unplayable waste of design space.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I meant storywise, he's the 5-color 'walker. He's not going to be printed as such because a 5-color walker is an unplayable waste of design space.

You mean like an elf based walker, a swamp centric walker, or a walker that only loses loyalty? :ironicat:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

You mean like an elf based walker, a swamp centric walker, or a walker that only loses loyalty? :ironicat:

Or one that makes you discard your own cards at random.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

a 5-color walker is an unplayable waste of design space.

Why? Even setting aside the unplayable garbage walkers they've already printed, why is it impossible to make a good 5-color walker?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Karn being colorless makes sense, but short of him going Super Saiyan and representing all five colors, there's probably not anyone (alive if you include Urza) that represents all five colors in the story as of yet. Not to mention that the color involved generally influences that person's personality (or the other way around), so what kind of personality would someone representing all five colors have?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why? Even setting aside the unplayable garbage walkers they've already printed, why is it impossible to make a good 5-color walker?

The history of good five color cards combined with the history of good 5 mana Planeswalkers.

bhsman posted:

Karn being colorless makes sense, but short of him going Super Saiyan and representing all five colors, there's probably not anyone (alive if you include Urza) that represents all five colors in the story as of yet. Not to mention that the color involved generally influences that person's personality (or the other way around), so what kind of personality would someone representing all five colors have?

Some kind of Legion type character would work. Or just a Sliver Queen.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Karona, the Ascended :black101:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Man, I'm gonna miss Caller of Beasts though. That Garruk was fun. So, what do you guys think our Walker Lineup is gonna look like? I'm thinking YetAnotherGoddamned Jace, Chandra Pyromaster, Dark Realms Lili, one of the Ajanis, and some kinda G/B Garruk to headline things. Maybe Nissa to fill the green slot to go with all those plushie toys we saw a few months ago.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Nicol Bolas is the only multicolor walker to show up in a core set, and I think it's probably staying that way for a while. I'm guessing:

W: Some Gideon variant since Gatecrash rotates out
U: 50/50 bet on Jace vs. Tamiyo
B: Garruk.
R: Koth. Maybe not KotH, since he's about due for a refresh.
G: Nissa.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Speaking of the art from that article, interesting to see a depiction of Thalia standing aside to let Liliana open the Helvault. Just spare art they had around?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

redstormpopcorn posted:

Nicol Bolas is the only multicolor walker to show up in a core set, and I think it's probably staying that way for a while. I'm guessing:

W: Some Gideon variant since Gatecrash rotates out
U: 50/50 bet on Jace vs. Tamiyo
B: Garruk.
R: Koth. Maybe not KotH, since he's about due for a refresh.
G: Nissa.

I would be completely OK with this. Especially the part without Jace. A new version of Nissa and/or Tamiyo would be pretty cool.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Count Bleck posted:

"Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka, Gitsmasha"
:allears:

+1: Reveal the top three cards of your library. Put all Boyz revealed this way into your hand and the rest of the cards into your graveyard in any order.
-2: Boyz you control gain WAAAGH! until end of turn.
-6: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have More Dakka."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You get +1 to all the warhams you use as tokens

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
All black garruk leading the mongol hordes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What is up with the price of Black Lotus? It dropped to $120 and now it's back up around $200.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

+1: Reveal the top three cards of your library. Put all Boyz revealed this way into your hand and the rest of the cards into your graveyard in any order.
-2: Boyz you control gain WAAAGH! until end of turn.
-6: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control have More Dakka."

-2: Red creature you control gain haste until end of turn.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

What is up with the price of Black Lotus? It dropped to $120 and now it's back up around $200.
There was a sudden and abrupt rebound point where in four hours lotus and several other VMA cards stopped dropping and then suddenly all went up. I have no idea what happened, but I was watching it over the weekend and discussing it with a friend, and we were both absolutely perplexed when the set total rare value went from 950~ back up to 1150~ out of nowhere.

Wow now it's over 1300 again. Rather weird.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Look at the price of modern and standard staples online right now; theyre all plummeting. If I would venture a guess, people are now buying into Vintage on mtgo and selling unused cards for other formats to fund it. Alternatively, speculators are trying to put all their capital into Vintage for whatever reason.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
While I'm asking stuff about this terrible hobby, what non-modo program are people using these days? Is MWS still a thing? Lackey, Apprentice, some other junk?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Zorak posted:

Look at the price of modern and standard staples online right now; theyre all plummeting. If I would venture a guess, people are now buying into Vintage on mtgo and selling unused cards for other formats to fund it. Alternatively, speculators are trying to put all their capital into Vintage for whatever reason.

You nailed it. Now is a great time to buy into Modern because everyone is selling.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Promoted Pawn posted:

You nailed it. Now is a great time to buy into Modern because everyone is selling.

No kidding, Tarmogoyf has lost a quarter of its value. Too bad the fetchlands are still high.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zorak posted:

In all seriousness, I think its more like the major bot chains share prices and have a monopoly on setting card prices. In other words, lower the price (including the buy price), then just raise prices over the week and you've made thousands and thousands of dollars.

Yes, I'm salty about cashing out of Black Lotus at its absolute bottom price.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 17, 2014

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

In all seriousness, I think its more like the major bot chains share prices and have a monopoly on setting card prices. In other words, lower the price (including the buy price), then just raise prices over the week and you've made thousands and thousands of dollars.

This is exactly right.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

I also want to believe this, but it seems kinda :tinfoil:.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Aren't we not even out of pre-release yet?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I also want to believe this, but it seems kinda :tinfoil:.

I agree I have no evidence of this occurring, but I don't think its baseless speculation. This is how monopolies work and why they are generally illegal.

The larger bot chains really do have a monopoly on the pricing of MTGO cards, especially given most of them share prices, not to mention the fact that bot chains cannot really generate resources on their own. They require users to sell to them.

Its not even really questionable that this series of events results in bot operators profiting immensely. I suppose its up to each person to determine whether this series events entirely within the bot owners control is merely :ronpaul: at work or price manipulation.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 17, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Promoted Pawn posted:

No kidding, Tarmogoyf has lost a quarter of its value. Too bad the fetchlands are still high.
S-so if I can, I should finish making Modern Jund? I have most of the cards for MODO already (TSeize, Lilis, Bobs, etc) except for Coursers, Oozes, and Goyfs. Should I buy in or keep waiting?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Lots of Wide Beta changes are coming with the downtime on Wednesday.

WotC_David posted:

General
  • Updated: New art for the Splash, Log In, and Home scenes.
  • Updated: Removed footer bar from Duel Scene, Game Details, and Trade windows.
  • Fixed: Improved memory usage in several areas.
  • Fixed: Issue that could prevent players' accounts from logging off immediately after disconnecting or closing the client.
Duel Scene
  • Fixed: Magic Online will automatically substitute cards when joining matches or tournaments with a deck that has versions of a card not in your collection if you have versions of that card in your collection.
  • Fixed: Issue that could result in temporary windows not displaying in Multiplayer.
  • Fixed: Issue that caused temporary windows to be stacked on top of each other and irrevocably linked.
  • Fixed: Several issues around associations and targeting.
  • Fixed: Cards that create ongoing effects are now correctly associated with their targets and their targets are now correctly associated with them.
  • Fixed: Draft issue that allowed visual duplicates to be dragged to the sideboard and block deck submission.
  • Fixed: Submit button state changes correctly when decks are made legal or illegal for submission.
Collection and Trade
  • Fixed: Several crashes around deck management.
  • Updated: Trades now open in their own window.
  • Added: New trade search tool that uses the Wishlist or imported deck files to filter trade partner's Trade Binder.
  • Updated: Improved deck and binder import performance.
  • Fixed: Importing decks using .txt files makes card substitutions based on your collection.
  • Updated: Deck legality messages now have more accurate wording.
  • Fixed: Changing the Animate Foil, Show Reminder Text, and Show Flavor Text options now appear immediately in Collection.
  • Fixed: Collection now dims cards you don't have in your collection correctly.
  • Updated: Active trade binders now update correctly after trades.
  • Fixed: Issue that caused classifieds posts to not update.
  • Updated: Disabled the ability to unselect "Show all versions" during a trade.
  • Fixed: Issue that could prevent context menu options from working correctly in trade.
  • Updated: Decks legality display will be correct after adding card to or removing cards your collection.
Account and Chat
  • Fixed: Order History now updates during a session, not only on new sessions.
  • Fixed: Updated password field size and rules management.
  • Fixed: Increased the size of the security question display.
  • Added: Setting to ensure new chats always appear on top of other windows.
  • Updated: Trade chat now opens and indicates that a player has accepted the trade.
  • Updated: Trade chat now stays open after closing a trade.
  • Added: Setting to block challenges from non-buddies.
  • Updated: Chat tabs can be closed without first undocking them.
  • Fixed: Billing and Shipping addresses update correctly when making changes during a purchase.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My question is are these prices going to lead to "My digital cardboard futures investment fund :qq:" conversations on MTGO if the prices fall again at some unspecified future time?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cernunnos posted:

My question is are these prices going to lead to "My digital cardboard futures investment fund :qq:" conversations on MTGO if the prices fall again at some unspecified future time?

I suspect the prices are going to descend some more as drafts continue. We're at peak demand but not peak supply for Vintage staples. Of course the decline in price tapers off for each additional unit of supply, so we're not going to see another drop as significant as when they started drafting VMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

neetengie posted:

S-so if I can, I should finish making Modern Jund? I have most of the cards for MODO already (TSeize, Lilis, Bobs, etc) except for Coursers, Oozes, and Goyfs. Should I buy in or keep waiting?

The MODO market moves too quickly to effectively time purchases based on getting in at the bottom; by the time you know when the bottom was hit it's too late to get that price. Better to just buy in when it reaches a price you're comfortable with.

• Locked thread