Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

GotDonuts posted:

I was wondering if there was any cheaper ways to get games from steam? I am looking to get space engineers and I noticed through key selling sites that the cheapest I could find it for is around 14 dollars and some change. How legit are these sellers, is it just not worth the five dollar savings?

Use https://www.isthereanydeal.com

Login with your Steam ID and you can import your wishlist and adjust what you want to get and when you want to get updates on email when any storefront has your game(s) for a discounted price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GotDonuts posted:

I was wondering if there was any cheaper ways to get games from steam? I am looking to get space engineers and I noticed through key selling sites that the cheapest I could find it for is around 14 dollars and some change. How legit are these sellers, is it just not worth the five dollar savings?

I'm pretty sure the correct response to discussion of keysites being banned in the main Steam thread is not to ask about them anyways in a tangentially related thread.

That said, the correct answer is to wait for a sale. SE was $10 a few weeks ago, and it'll probably be $10 again (or even $5) during the summer sale, which will probably happen sometime in the next two months.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I know many people use the word erroneously, but as I was literally watching the credits for Remember Me, I was randomly gifted Epoch by a good goon friend.

:negative: It will never end...

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Currently Playing:

OMSI 2 - It's a sim where you drive buses in Berlin. It's also a historical record (mid-eighties to mid-nineties) where you can pick a time and date and see what the routes looked like back then, and how they changed, especially when the wall fell. But also smaller stuff like having stop names change. Nearly every button on the dash does something. You have to sell tickets and give correct change. The tutorials take hours and you really need the manual next to you. And if you drive like poo poo you the passengers will complain and swear in German.

One bus has a tape player on the dash. Press play and it starts streaming eighties music. This isn't documented anywhere, lovely touch.

Graphics aren't great, the sound is excellent though.

I'm tempted to get the DLC for this game too, which is expensive and not on steam. However, like most sims, there's free stuff you can download if you're willing to scrape together multiple downloads from lovely hosters like uploaded.net.

Finished:

Waking Mars - I got about eight hours of entertainment from this. Very relaxing. I don't normally enjoy platformers, but this one is more about making the right choices than pressing the right button at the right time. You've got infinite lives in case you die anyway.

It's all about how the weird life-forms in the cave work together so you can get the seeds you want. You may need to backtrack to get the right seeds, but that's merely a matter of clicking a previous area on the map screen.

I wouldn't mind some challenge missions... However there's still some research data for me to collect. There is an alternative ending to get, but it's all a matter of going left instead of right all the way at the end of the game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
So, we have had a few days of vacation time here in Denmark, and I decided to spend some time playing a few games.

"Beaten": Ampu-Tea
I made a cup of tea, which means this QWOP style game is way easier than Surgeon Simulator and Octodad in that I could actually finish a task without rage quitting.
Not gonna try adding sugar and milk to that, though.

Beaten: Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood
Yet another Hidden Object/Casual Adventure game, by the same folks who made the two Nightmares from the Deep HO games.
High production values, nice and varied puzzles and overall a quite good Hidden Object game.

Nulled: Inescapable
A platform shooter that looks like an Amiga game. It was quite boring.

Nulled: Lost Marbles
Got this from a bundle and uninstalled halfway through the tutorial. Rolling a ball around on squares has been done before, and Puzzle Dimension did it so much better.

Nulled: Metal Planet
A multi player mech game... I think? It looked like babbys first MP shooter or an example game from a FPS construction kit.

Nulled: Spacebase DF-9 Prototype
The last of the Amnesia Fortnight games I hadn't tried, and I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I took a look at the screenshots from the Early Access version of the full game and that looks way more interesting, though I'll probably not get it anyway.

Nulled: Splatter - Blood Red Edition
Another bundle game, this time a top-down zombie shooter. I had a bit of fun with the extremely cheesy story and Max Payne cutscene ripoffs. The shooting was also OK for half an hour.

Beaten: Stranded
I really enjoyed the atmosphere and music in this one. Pretty weird little "game" that would fit in more with the Dear Esther interactive stories than regular adventure games.

Beaten: Truffle Saga
If ever there was a straight up port of a mobile game to PC, this is it. A simple physics puzzle game where you have to shoot an acorn and hit 2 or 3 mushrooms on the screen. Only 60 levels that took me an hour to complete, though I didn't go for the 3-star completions.

Nulled: Vault Cracker
An old-school Hidden Object game with 1024*768 as the highest resolution. It was actually OK, but when I wanted to continue my game after a couple of days of not playing it, the whole screen was white except for the cursor and inventory. Yeah, that's not gonna fly in a Hidden Object game.

Now playing:
Full Mojo Rampage: I have way more fun with this game than I had initially imagined. Hero Siege in a Voodoo setting with stats and some inventory items passing from game to game.
Goat Simulator: Loved the new update, map and achievements
Murdered: Soul Suspect: The major problem is the sloppy PC port. Random QTE's when you have to take down a demon, far between save points, info system with slapped on keyboard controls, where it screams "let me use a mouse to quickly navigate here". Other than that, I'm having an OK time playing this after getting a hang on the whole investigation thing.
Watch_Dogs: This took some time getting used to, but now I'm having a lot of fun. So much so that I've played 45 hours and still are only 4 missions into Act 2.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I don't know why I've "fallen in like" with the Polish jank of Afterfall: Insanity, but it's smack dab in my "now playing" list :v:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Morter posted:

I don't know why I've "fallen in like" with the Polish jank of Afterfall: Insanity, but it's smack dab in my "now playing" list :v:

Oh I was like you once, I liked the heck out of it, until the combat became repetative and everthing else started falling apart around me. The jank will last so long and then you might be upset with how much time you sank into it.

Or you might be immune to it and are enjoying yourself, then best of luck.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Beat: Dark Souls 2
There are some really annoying things in this game, mostly in the first few hours. The new durability system and non-upgraded weapons being a horrible combination, lack of good dodging until you invest into ADP, multiple enemies in nasty spots.
Once you get past that though the game is very, very good. There are some great changes and while I think the game as a whole has less of an impact and difficulty overall that is mostly due to playing the first game. A newcomer to the series still faces a (mostly fair, somewhat early Cliffside) difficulty curve. Most zones are fun and well designed, the world is less cohesive but as a tradeoff you get some better setpieces and fights so that all works out.
Onwards to my second run!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

PowerBeard posted:

Oh I was like you once, I liked the heck out of it, until the combat became repetative and everthing else started falling apart around me. The jank will last so long and then you might be upset with how much time you sank into it.

Or you might be immune to it and are enjoying yourself, then best of luck.

:toot:

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

So I didn't get much done this month.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty V: World at War. This was better than any of the other Second World War games. I'd rank it just a hair under Modern Warfare I. I kinda got the impression that Treyarch cares way more about the single player than Infinity Ward does. The Zombies mini-game was decent too.

COMPLETED: Watch_Dogs + all DLC. I've only done 97% completion, because gently caress the drinking mini-game. I want to say it's good. It's the only game I've played since it came out over 2 weeks ago, but I can't actually recommend it at full price.

Despite all the fun things to do in this game, the player character Aiden Pearce is such an unlikeable fucknugget that he drags the rest of the game down with him. Others have mentioned how he's a sociopath who's vigilante war on crime is mostly just a weak excuse for his anger management issues. That's not what really made me hate him. What really got to me was how massively ungrateful he is. One example is when Jordi Chin, who does Aiden heaps of favours over the game's run, asks Aiden for a simple favour in return. :geno:: "I don't owe you anything". Another example is repeated a few times over the course of the game: wherein Aiden demands (not asks for) people's help, and then refuses to let them know what kind of clusterfuck they're getting involved in, or even why they're hacking this server/decrypting this data/shooting this guy etc.

Now that I've finished venting, there's a shitload of activities in Watch_Dogs, so here's the fun ones:
Side Missions: The Criminal Convoy and Gang Hideouts were great fun if you like the combat.
Investigations: Human Trafficking, Missing Persons and Weapons Smuggling are the ones you want.
Mini-games: I enjoyed the Chess, NVZN and Poker games.
Online modes: Team Decryption is the only real stand-out among them, but ctOS Mobile, Hacking and Tailing are kinda fun. Do not play Free-For-All Decryption, gently caress no.
Digital Trips: Alone is the best of them, but Conspiracy! and Spider Tank are good too. Madness and Psychedelic can gently caress right off.

Of the various bits of DLC they've put out: The Breakthrough Pack is just another Criminal Convoy with a few lines of exposition. Palace Pack is a Gang Hideout with some extra collectibles, way more content than Breakthrough. Signature Shot Pack is rather irritating to play, and the gun you get from it is useless. The Exclusive Missions are a decent little mini-campaign. Conspiracy! was fun.

NULLED: Tropico IV + DLC. There's no reason to bother with this now that Tropico V is out.

Next up: I don't know. It's a toss-up between the Dragon Age series, Batman: Arkham Asylum and that Spellforce: Order of the Dawn demo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Aiden Pierce is some executive's idea of a cool action hero and he's so by-the-numbers that they unintentionally created one of the most unlikable protags in video game history. Every single GTA character, despite them being psychopaths and cold blooded killers, are all more sympathetic.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
NEW GAME: Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION. Some kind of indie bullethell shooter. A ton of my friends have been pestering me to play this forever and it actually, like, coming out in a form I could purchase and comprehend pushed me over the edge to doing so.

BEATEN: Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION. what can I say? My friends have awesome taste. This is all the madness that one sees in modern bullet hells, combined with a bunch of difficulty settings and a seriously great defense mechanic that mixes Bombs with a mechanic called "Break" that is like the Vaunt in Jamestown but, if anything, a bit better in that it's useful and relevant across a wider skill range.

BEATEN: Dust: An Elysian Tail. Holy poo poo. :supaburn: I was not prepared. I'm not sure who decided that it would be a sensible idea to make a samurai epic that plays like a cross between a modern Castlevania and They Bleed Pixels, but also have it be "for ages 10 and up" and have the primary theme of the game be, essentially, ethnic cleansing, but they got away with it in spades. The story manages to be serious, and take itself seriously, while also working in a ton of silly jokes and references and such, and it manages to actually have both sides of it work. (Um, looking at those last few sentences, I suppose I should clarify that the game believes that ethnic cleansing is bad and expects you to already be on board with this.) The platforming was smooth, and the combat was loads of fun. Yes, the characters are all animal people, but even if you're allergic to furries this is firmly on the DuckTales end of the spectrum. (If I'm in a bad mood, it's also how you make a story about genocide presentable to young children.) The closest thing I can come up with to criticisms is that Normal mode is kind of easy and some of the optional collectibles are hidden behind deliberately terrible puzzles. I needed two hints, and both for things that were that qualified as that. One of the hints was "you're on the right track, you just need more practice", and the other I "should" have gotten but this was due to my misspent youth. (It is a completely optional secret area hidden behind recreating one of the most obtuse puzzles in Simon's Quest. Your Navi-equivalent - who has a Deadpool-like relationship with the fourth wall, I might add - bitches about it afterwards. I laughed really hard once I made the connection, but I'm not sure how good an idea it was to, like, actually do this in an actual game that people play.)

After two games I was expecting to be kind of mediocre actually being really excellent, I am well out of my previous funk. I'm not sure what I'll do next. Maybe I'll farm cards and try a little of a bunch of games along the way. See if anything sticks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EightDeer posted:

Next up: I don't know. It's a toss-up between the Dragon Age series, Batman: Arkham Asylum and that Spellforce: Order of the Dawn demo.

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Spellforce, but objectively I'm not sure why. It's kind of janky, and while the whole RTS/RPG hybrid thing works really well, the actual RTS and RPG parts aren't as good as other games that just do that. Despite that, I played both Order of Dawn and Breath of Winter to completion, OoD twice. (For some reason I never got into the second expansion, Shadow of the Phoenix.)

Batman: AA owns hard and is easily the best of those three games.

I hated Dragon Age and haven't played the sequels.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I was doing very well at not buying new games for a long time but then in the past few weeks fell off the wagon and binged on three new bundles. I also went through my Desura collection and some older bundle games have had Steam keys added to them so those got added as well. What kind of sucks is that I've had some persistent ear pain recently and am reluctant to use my headphones at the moment so I'm avoiding any sound-intensive or particularly atmospheric or dialogue-heavy games, which doesn't leave me with much of interest.

Beat these pre-ear pain:

Dust: An Elysian Tail: Fun and very well-made in terms of production values. Bit easy, though, and I was not a fan of the infantalized female companion. But otherwise a super solid experience.
Aquaria: Absolutely loved this. It's beautiful, fun, challenging and fantastic to explore. Totally deserving of its Classic status.

And these post-ear pain:

Hexcells Plus: Super fun Minesweeper-inspired puzzle game. I got this in a bundle but it's in the Steam weekly deals at the moment so I went ahead and bought the original as well.
Hexcells: Just as fun, but since I'd honed my skills on its harder, more challenging standalone expansion I was able to breeze through this in an hour and a half.
Mechanic Escape: Eh... the controls are a bit floaty. I didn't really feel like I was fully in control, instead slipping often and bouncing off walls unintentionally, etc. I beat it but am not going back to perfect levels or anything since it's pretty punishing in the later levels.
Lume: Pretty nice, short adventure game.

And gave up on:

Prime World: Defenders: The grind is outrageous. Once you hit a wall in the campaign and don't have the right cards it's a matter of playing the same levels over and over again in the hopes you'll drop a decent card. To add insult to injury, you get 5 drops for beating a level but they get shuffled and you pick one not knowing which of the five you're going to get. So if you do get lucky and drop a good card there's still only a 20% chance you'll actually get it. No thanks.
Chompy Chomp Chomp: The singleplayer is basically a whole bunch of nothing and multiplayer is local only. I played enough to drop one trading card and then got bored. In retrospect I'm not sure if you can beat the singleplayer mode or if it goes on forever so I don't know if I can call it beaten. Not sure I care enough to find out.
C-RUSH: Got to the final boss several times but just can't figure out how to finish him off once the armor's all gone. There are no checkpoints and I'm tired of replaying the whole thing over and over again. I can't even find a video or walkthrough anywhere.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 13, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

EightDeer posted:

Seconding that you go with Arkham. All three Arkham games are excellent, while Dragon Age 2 falls a bit flat. Plus you can probably beat all 3 Arkham games in the time it would take you to beat Dragon Age: Origins. That game's effin' huge (in a good way)

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

EightDeer posted:

ToxicFrog posted:

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Spellforce, but objectively I'm not sure why. It's kind of janky, and while the whole RTS/RPG hybrid thing works really well, the actual RTS and RPG parts aren't as good as other games that just do that. Despite that, I played both Order of Dawn and Breath of Winter to completion, OoD twice. (For some reason I never got into the second expansion, Shadow of the Phoenix.)

Batman: AA owns hard and is easily the best of those three games.

I hated Dragon Age and haven't played the sequels.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seconding that you go with Arkham. All three Arkham games are excellent, while Dragon Age 2 falls a bit flat. Plus you can probably beat all 3 Arkham games in the time it would take you to beat Dragon Age: Origins. That game's effin' huge (in a good way)

Thirding you go with Batman: AA, it's outstanding.

With regards to the Dragon Age series, I really enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins, and I've just begun playing the Dragon Age: Origins - Awakenings expansion, which I'm enjoying as well. However, I will probably never play Dragon Age 2 because of all the poo poo they pulled, but I think you should give Origins a try after completing Batman: AA. Just as, for my part, the Matrix story ended after the first movie's credits rolled, Dragon Age ended with the first game (and maybe it's Awakenings expansion, I'm still in the process of finishing it) for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Normally I'd agree with you, but Dragon Age 3 is coming out soon and that means I'll have to play 2 all the way through eventually...

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Normally I'd agree with you, but Dragon Age 3 is coming out soon and that means I'll have to play 2 all the way through eventually...

Oh, I totally get that, I'm a sucker for finishing things myself (I "had" to watch Matrix 2 and 3, but sometimes wish I hadn't).

I'm just annoyed at how Bioware could have dropped the ball so immensely with DA2, being pushed into making a sequel in that short amount of time. It could have been great. Instead I read about endless spawning enemies from the skies, the design of the enemies differentiating wildly from Origins, reusing the same cave level over and over again with just renaming it, and, and... well, you know.

At least combat was supposed to be faster and better? I guess that's one redeeming feature.

vYeah, I've seen those awesome button videos too, hence me using the question mark above.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 14, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ah yes the button-awesome connection.

e: this was depressingly easy to find again http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 14, 2014

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Given that I've never heard anyone say bad things about Arkham Asylum, I guess I'm playing that.

I wasn't particularly eager for a 4th run-through of Origins, but I kinda have to given that I never played Awakenings or Dragon Age: Gigglesquee, and I want to play Inquisition when it comes out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serious suggestion: stop agonizing over it, forget about the Dragon Age series entirely, and get your fantasy WRPG fix from other, more fun and much better written games by Obsidian, Larian, or CD Projekt.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ToxicFrog posted:

Serious suggestion: stop agonizing over it, forget about the Dragon Age series entirely, and get your fantasy WRPG fix from other, more fun and much better written games by Obsidian, Larian, or CD Projekt.

I guess it depends on how good Dragon Age 3 ends up being. I loved the heck out of Origins.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess it depends on how good Dragon Age 3 ends up being. I loved the heck out of Origins.

That's fair, and hopefully DA3 will bring back whatever people liked about DAO.

For me personally, I thought DAO was a tedious, cliche-ridden slog, like most of Bioware's games. I freely admit that I am probably in the minority in this, because Bioware has more money than god, while Looking Glass, Black Isle, and Troika no longer exist, and Spiderweb, Obsidian, Arkane, CD Projekt RED, and Larian probably have a collective budget of less than what Bioware spends on paperclips.

I stand by my recommendation for other WRPGs, though, and think that even if you do like Bioware's games, there's some seriously good stuff from those companies that will keep you sated until DA3 comes out. :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DA:O was a throwback to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter. It had pacing issues but it's very much a PC rpg. Then EA really put their muscle behind it, scale it down heavily, and shifted the entire PR to an action oriented slant (push a button, something awesome should happen). A bunch of veteran designers left Bioware at this time including BG2 designer Brent Knowles who basically said in nice words "an action game isn't what I wanted to work on."

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I'm really hoping Pillars of Eternity turns out great.

vCool, I backed both of those, along with Wasteland 2.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 15, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ My wife and I may have backed both that and Numenara Torment as soon as they went up. I am cautiously optimistic.

al-azad posted:

DA:O was a throwback to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter. It had pacing issues but it's very much a PC rpg. Then EA really put their muscle behind it, scale it down heavily, and shifted the entire PR to an action oriented slant (push a button, something awesome should happen). A bunch of veteran designers left Bioware at this time including BG2 designer Brent Knowles who basically said in nice words "an action game isn't what I wanted to work on."

I am at least consistent; I thought Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter were also tedious, cliche-ridden slogs and greatly preferred Fallout, Planescape Torment, and Arcanum.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ My wife and I may have backed both that and Numenara Torment as soon as they went up. I am cautiously optimistic.

I am at least consistent; I thought Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter were also tedious, cliche-ridden slogs and greatly preferred Fallout, Planescape Torment, and Arcanum.

And Fallout, Planescape, and Arcanum are total slogs whenever I wasn't clicking through text boxes. I hope Numenara can balance both because I'm equally as drawn to an RPG's subsystems as I am to the prospect of roleplaying and Bioware at least always nails the feeling of power you get in combat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

al-azad posted:

And Fallout, Planescape, and Arcanum are total slogs whenever I wasn't clicking through text boxes. I hope Numenara can balance both because I'm equally as drawn to an RPG's subsystems as I am to the prospect of roleplaying and Bioware at least always nails the feeling of power you get in combat.

Yeah, totally disagreeing here. I hate early D&D combat and found BG's and NWN's combat terrible. And PS:T's, but PS:T can get away with it because combat is easy and makes up maybe 5% of the game, and the writing is good enough to carry the game otherwise, none of which is the case with BG or NWN.

Fallout and Arcanum still had balance issues, but they had a much more pleasant and satisfying power curve than anything from Bioware and combat mechanics that I actually enjoyed. Arcanum especially; going from "hopeless scrub with a knife" to "power-armoured machine-god accompanied by an army of robots and making GBS threads ball lightning everywhere" was fun as hell.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, totally disagreeing here. I hate early D&D combat and found BG's and NWN's combat terrible. And PS:T's, but PS:T can get away with it because combat is easy and makes up maybe 5% of the game, and the writing is good enough to carry the game otherwise, none of which is the case with BG or NWN.

Fallout and Arcanum still had balance issues, but they had a much more pleasant and satisfying power curve than anything from Bioware and combat mechanics that I actually enjoyed. Arcanum especially; going from "hopeless scrub with a knife" to "power-armoured machine-god accompanied by an army of robots and making GBS threads ball lightning everywhere" was fun as hell.

And for Planescape that 5% is everything outside of Sigil where suddenly you're fighting demons, angels, and mobs of shadows by yourself. I don't know how anybody can praise Arcanum's combat in the same breadth as condemning BG's. There's a reason Arcanum has a bunch of balance mods and is one of the most asked about games in the "before I play" thread, the game is obtuse as poo poo to new players and the early levels maddening.

My point was simple: if you like BG or NWN you'll probably like the first Dragon Age, I wouldn't encourage someone to flat out skip it if they want to see what the series is about.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 17, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

al-azad posted:

And for Planescape that 5% is everything outside of Sigil where suddenly you're fighting demons, angels, and mobs of shadows by yourself. I don't know how anybody can praise Arcanum's combat in the same breadth as condemning BG's. There's a reason Arcanum has a bunch of balance mods and is one of the most asked about games in the "before I play" thread, the game is obtuse as poo poo to new players and the early levels maddening.

I'm not sure we were playing the same Arcanum and I am drat sure we weren't playing the same Planescape Torment.

But enough arguing about RPGs when we could be talking about how much progress we aren't making on our backlogs!

Beaten: Geneforge 2

This is, if anything, better than the original; I can see why a lot of people cite it as their favourite Geneforge game. It is also big; Steam says I logged 112 hours on it, and that's for one faction and skipping Inner Gazahk-Uus. I played an Agent this time, and they seem to have the "traditional caster power curve", starting out weak and ending as total powerhouses -- although, at least the way I played it, by the end I was barely using spells offensively at all, instead buffing the poo poo out of myself before each battle and then running around attacking things for 1200 damage/turn.

This game probably has a great deal of replayability just by checking out the different factions (or going factionless), but I'm honestly not sure I could bring myself to join any faction but the Awakened. They're all crazy, or assholes, or crazy assholes.

Now Playing: Lost in Time -- the 1993 puzzle game, not the 1999 Bugs Bunny game.
Now Playing: OpenXCom -- laptop game.

I'm going to give Geneforge 3 a shot on the laptop, but I'm pretty sure it uses the same engine as GF1 and 2, so I don't have high hopes.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Stealth Bastard Deluxe: This was a good, short game. Loved that the entire game was stealth-focused - you don't get that a lot anymore. Challenging, but not too challenging. Not bothering with the S-ranks or helix collection.

Beat - Batman: Arkham Origins: I have mixed feelings about this one. On its own, it was good, but I was comparing it to Asylum and City, which ends up making it a not great game. It was pretty buggy, and the map wasn't nearly as well put together as City's was. I suppose Arkham Knight will make up for it, since Rocksteady is doing that one.

Nulled - Mercenary Kings: I made it about halfway through, but it started feeling like a total slog. Maybe I'll pick it up later, since I Kickstarted it.

Nulled - Spelunky: I made it to the temple once, but it just wasn't grabbing me like, say, Binding of Isaac did. Another that I might pick up again later.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I went through a bunch of bundle games the last couple of days and nulled all of them. Some because they were literally made of poop (yes, literally!), some because they didn't hold my interest long enough and a few simply because I have so many other games I would rather play, but might go them later.

100% Orange Juice: Yet another 100% confusing Japanese game, where you have to punch a key close to a 100 times to get through the inane chatter between several very young looking girls.
It looked like some kind of board game with attack/defense cards, but it took ages to move, as it had to show all the opponents moves too.

Always Remember Me: Dating sim where you play as a girl and have to get it on with the guys. I tried getting her morale and energy down to zero all the time and when I quit, lets just say I wasn't that popular with any of the guys, or any other character for that matter.

Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians: It played just like Aquaria, but had an awesome jazzy hip-hop soundtrack. I really enjoyed the music and the game looked good too. Just not my kind of gameplay.

Beware Planet Earth: A casual Tower Defense game and if you liked Plants vs Zombies, you might also enjoy this one, as it uses some of the same mechanics, like a limited amount of slots for your "towers" and you select your loadout based on the enemies that are being presented to you before each level.
I might revisit this at a later day.

Constant C: A physics/gravity based platform puzzler. Some fun gimmicks but not enough to hold my attention.

Defy Gravity: A platformer based on gravity. I was about to throw my gamepad at the screen within 5 minutes.

Eets Munchies: Guide your little dude to the cake by placing items on the playing field, then hit "Go" and interact with some of the items while the critter is moving along, to help it on its way.
It's quite polished but is definitely designed for touch screens and has the whole mobile gaming thing going too.
Not a bad game at all, but didn't hold my interest for more than a couple of minutes.

Epic Battle Fantasy 4: Several people contacted me while I was using SAM to get cards for this game. They were worried that I played this JRPG of my own free will. I actually tried to give it a go, but after 10 minutes and a few achievements, I couldn't stand it anymore.

Final Slam 2: Babbys first fighter

FootLOL: Epic Fail League: It's probably the worst named game on Steam, but is actually quite fun to play. It's football (soccer for you heathens) where you assist your team by throwing landmines at the enemy, shielding your own players and use a lot of other power ups to help your team win the match. You don't play as an individual player and there is absolutely no management other than buying new poo poo to kill the other team.
I'm quite sure I'll get beck to this another day.

Gravi: A platformer based on gravity. I was about to throw my gamepad at the screen within 5 minutes. Huh? Again?

Guilty Gear Isuka: Some people apparently have fond memories of this, as 0 of 4 people (0%) found this review helpful: "This is just a bad game with a bad soundtrack."

Jets'n'Guns Gold: A few goons had praised this earlier, or at least I think I read that, but it was just an uninspiring shmup using very poor menu presentation.

KRUNCH: One of those "navigate tunnel while a wall/something is closing in on you" side scroller. I don't have a reaction time like a 14 year old anymore, so it got uninstalled pretty quickly.

Mechanic Escape: Again only 2 of 8 people found this review helpful: "A speedrunner platformer where you skid just enough to slide into all the crap that you carefully try and avoid all the time.
At least I got it for almost free in a bundle."

Metal Drift: I have no idea what this is, because the developer wouldn't let me check out the single player game unless I created an account on their server. In fact I didn't even get to see the menu. But it was an OK "request for account creation" screen, I guess.

Mr. Bree+: Definitely a game for fans of Super Meat Boy and those kinds of platformers. I don't know how well it holds up compared to the competition but I had fun as long as I could complete levels. Grab it in a bundle or during the summer sale if SMB & Co. is your thing.

Mutant Mudds Deluxe: Yet another 8-bit platformer but this time with a fun gimmick of adding depth to the 2D levels, in that you can jump "in" and "out". But I got frustrated because I'm not good at games so I uninstalled.

One Way Heroics: Something was stuck so the screen kept scrolling one way. I wasn't able to fix it in any other way than an uninstall, but at least it stopped scrolling. Oh and aI think it's some kind of roguelike or JRPG too.

Oozi: Earth Adventure: A colorful and classic platformer. Fun while it lasted but it's just not something that holds my interest.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

I went through a bunch of bundle games the last couple of days and nulled all of them. Some because they were literally made of poop (yes, literally!), some because they didn't hold my interest long enough and a few simply because I have so many other games I would rather play, but might go them later.

100% Orange Juice: Yet another 100% confusing Japanese game, where you have to punch a key close to a 100 times to get through the inane chatter between several very young looking girls.
It looked like some kind of board game with attack/defense cards, but it took ages to move, as it had to show all the opponents moves too.

Always Remember Me: Dating sim where you play as a girl and have to get it on with the guys. I tried getting her morale and energy down to zero all the time and when I quit, lets just say I wasn't that popular with any of the guys, or any other character for that matter.

Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians: It played just like Aquaria, but had an awesome jazzy hip-hop soundtrack. I really enjoyed the music and the game looked good too. Just not my kind of gameplay.

Beware Planet Earth: A casual Tower Defense game and if you liked Plants vs Zombies, you might also enjoy this one, as it uses some of the same mechanics, like a limited amount of slots for your "towers" and you select your loadout based on the enemies that are being presented to you before each level.
I might revisit this at a later day.

Constant C: A physics/gravity based platform puzzler. Some fun gimmicks but not enough to hold my attention.

Defy Gravity: A platformer based on gravity. I was about to throw my gamepad at the screen within 5 minutes.

Eets Munchies: Guide your little dude to the cake by placing items on the playing field, then hit "Go" and interact with some of the items while the critter is moving along, to help it on its way.
It's quite polished but is definitely designed for touch screens and has the whole mobile gaming thing going too.
Not a bad game at all, but didn't hold my interest for more than a couple of minutes.

Epic Battle Fantasy 4: Several people contacted me while I was using SAM to get cards for this game. They were worried that I played this JRPG of my own free will. I actually tried to give it a go, but after 10 minutes and a few achievements, I couldn't stand it anymore.

Final Slam 2: Babbys first fighter

FootLOL: Epic Fail League: It's probably the worst named game on Steam, but is actually quite fun to play. It's football (soccer for you heathens) where you assist your team by throwing landmines at the enemy, shielding your own players and use a lot of other power ups to help your team win the match. You don't play as an individual player and there is absolutely no management other than buying new poo poo to kill the other team.
I'm quite sure I'll get beck to this another day.

Gravi: A platformer based on gravity. I was about to throw my gamepad at the screen within 5 minutes. Huh? Again?

Guilty Gear Isuka: Some people apparently have fond memories of this, as 0 of 4 people (0%) found this review helpful: "This is just a bad game with a bad soundtrack."

Jets'n'Guns Gold: A few goons had praised this earlier, or at least I think I read that, but it was just an uninspiring shmup using very poor menu presentation.

KRUNCH: One of those "navigate tunnel while a wall/something is closing in on you" side scroller. I don't have a reaction time like a 14 year old anymore, so it got uninstalled pretty quickly.

Mechanic Escape: Again only 2 of 8 people found this review helpful: "A speedrunner platformer where you skid just enough to slide into all the crap that you carefully try and avoid all the time.
At least I got it for almost free in a bundle."

Metal Drift: I have no idea what this is, because the developer wouldn't let me check out the single player game unless I created an account on their server. In fact I didn't even get to see the menu. But it was an OK "request for account creation" screen, I guess.

Mr. Bree+: Definitely a game for fans of Super Meat Boy and those kinds of platformers. I don't know how well it holds up compared to the competition but I had fun as long as I could complete levels. Grab it in a bundle or during the summer sale if SMB & Co. is your thing.

Mutant Mudds Deluxe: Yet another 8-bit platformer but this time with a fun gimmick of adding depth to the 2D levels, in that you can jump "in" and "out". But I got frustrated because I'm not good at games so I uninstalled.

One Way Heroics: Something was stuck so the screen kept scrolling one way. I wasn't able to fix it in any other way than an uninstall, but at least it stopped scrolling. Oh and aI think it's some kind of roguelike or JRPG too.

Oozi: Earth Adventure: A colorful and classic platformer. Fun while it lasted but it's just not something that holds my interest.

This is some solid backlog clearing. :salute:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Beaten: Arkham City GOTY Edition - Honestly, I wasn't expecting to like this one more than Asylum, and, being honest, I didn't. But it's still pretty good. I'll give Origins a fair shake if they ever fix all the bugs, but even as well as the open-world structure is implemented in this game, I yearned to go back to the hub-style world of Asylum. I just prefer all the interior set pieces and map design and by the end of the game I was really getting sick of not having a fast travel option (if there is one don't tell me).

Beaten: Fester Mudd - Not great, but it was a SCUMM-style adventure game, so I had to play it all the way through. It felt as short and cheap as what I paid for it. Unsurprisingly the game is also available on iOS, and it feels like an iOS game in depth and length.

Tsioc
Sep 12, 2007
2014 Summer Sale damage so far:

Brothers - A Tale Of Two Sons
Bulletstorm
The Cave
Far Cry 3 Deluxe
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
Halo: Spartan Assault
Skydrift
The Walking Dead Season 2
The Witcher 2

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
ADDED
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Frozen Synapse
Painkiller Hell & Damnation
Rise of the Triad
Papers, Please
Gone Home
Call of Juarez Gunslinger
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
^^^just today^^^
Gunpoint
Wargame: Red Dragon
Wargame: AirLand Battle
Wargame: European Escalation
BattleBlock Theater
Stranded
Shadowrun Returns

:negative:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm personally waiting till the sale is over to work out how screwed I am. Plus at the moment I'm trying to play the Telltale Jurassic Park game, which happens to be a crime against humanity.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nulled all of these:

Antichamber - It bluescreened my laptop, a first. I think all the math going on in that game was too much for this poor computer. It couldn't handle it!!
Blocks That Matter - Got stuck on a puzzle and then realized that I was never really having that much fun with it.
Capsized - Initially I kind of liked it because it felt like a modern Apogee game, except that there's a reason why people only played the free Apogee shareware games and didn't pay for the full Apogee games.
Costume Quest - I think it crashed close to the end and I lost an hour of progress. Always a motivation ruiner!!
Intrusion 2 - People compared this to Metal Slug/Contra, and I guess it's like those games, if they were made in Adobe Flash for Newgrounds. It's not fun.
NightSky - Howlongtobeat claimed this game takes just 2 hours to beat, but it feels more like 20 hours. I don't know why it feels like such a chore because I love Knytt/Stories.
Orcs Must Die - Just flat out lost interest.
Poker Night 2 - Took too long to get to the prize items and I didn't care anymore.
They Bleed Pixels - I'm on board with the mechanics of the game but the level design just seems masochistic.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Mid sale penance - I just started installing the 15 games in my backlog that less than 10 people on my friends list owned. A sure sign of crap bundle fodder - I shall now spend the next couple days of the sale clearing out garbage games in order to teach myself a lesson.

(While likely adding more games that I really don't need - but please God let them at least be decent.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

PowerBeard posted:

I'm personally waiting till the sale is over to work out how screwed I am. Plus at the moment I'm trying to play the Telltale Jurassic Park game, which happens to be a crime against humanity.

It's so loving bad but like watching a slow motion car crash you can't look away.