Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
If Dorian Gray and Frankenstein's monster gently caress someone in the world is going to be so happy.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Frankenstein's monster as inspired by goons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was mostly enjoying the episode but that voiceover during the Ives/Gray sex scene was laughably bad, it completely destroyed any sense of atmosphere.

This show has a lot of potential and sometimes it realizes it (the Ives-centric flashback episode, the seance, the night out at the Grand Guignol) but it is so uneven and makes so many missteps it can be really frustrating. With only 2 episodes to go I figure I'll watch the rest of it, but I'm not sure relly where they can or will go for season 2.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well drat Caliban that was not very nice of you.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't really mind the voiceover and I thought the foreshadowing (when Caliban and the girl talk about Lucifer) was pretty cool. The dialog in the harbor was great too:

- Why this ship?
- It came from Cairo four months ago and has been in quarantine since, for what they're vaguely describing as "typhus or an unknown foreign disease". You recall the hieroglyphic tattoos we discovered? Those were Egyptian. That, and the fact the ship's in quarantine, is suggestive.
- Of what?
- Chicanery.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CHICANERY!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Killing off a character like Van Helsing in such a way really looks like some poor attempt by the writers to pull out some GoT-esque "Gotcha!" death and it came off as really half-assed and stupid.

I really just wanted more David Warner and less obnoxious Asperger's Frankenstein, you fuckin' pricks :mad:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
They were sparing Van Helsing a sex scene. It's better this way.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
At this point is there anything stopping Dr Frankenstein from just going to the police and saying "I am a well-to-do doctor in the employ of a wealthy aristocrat and that creepy weirdo from the theatre has murdered two of my friends"

Caliban literally told you where he lives Victor, either borrow Sir Malcolm's goon squad or call the cops on the murderous emo arsehat.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man, Caliban really is a monster. And a goony one at that! I felt a little bad for the guy when he got rejected because, you know, that sucks regardless of who you are/how horribly pathetic you are. But killing David Warner like that?

t:mad:

You can go straight to whatever hell is in store for you, Caliban.

This episode's cliffhander ending was pretty fun too. Eva Green goes for a spin!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

Asperger's Frankenstein

Friendzonestein.

I was laughing my rear end off when he was hiding in the wall watching her through the vent and feeling pissed off that she apparently doesn't "like him like him".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That was good, I mean overall theres not been a really super bad episode. I do not like though at how sympathetic they made Dr. Frankenstein.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

nutranurse posted:

This episode's cliffhander ending was pretty fun too. Eva Green goes for a spin!
I kept wanting to edit that scene with "Jump in the Line" like the end of Beetlejuice.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I kept wanting to edit that scene with "Jump in the Line" like the end of Beetlejuice.

This is something I never knew I needed until you suggested it.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Man, Caliban really is a monster. And a goony one at that! I felt a little bad for the guy when he got rejected because, you know, that sucks regardless of who you are/how horribly pathetic you are. But killing David Warner like that?

I watch the show with friends and none of us can stop laughing at the Caliban scenes, he brings on such gusto and vitriol when he's describing the torments he's suffered to Victor, but every time we see his life it's really not that bad, he's got friends and the staff of the theatre clearly aren't shunning him even if they don't immediately fall wildly in love with him after 4 sentences and a book.

'A co-worker came in, had a brief friendly chat as I did my work and then didn't immediately swoon into my arms EXISTENCE IS TORMENT! BETTER MURDER A PENSIONER!'

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Yes Caliban is basically a cross between a 30-something goon and an angsty teenager only with immortality and superhuman strength and fortitude.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
If Victor wants to make him really happy instead of a woman he'll get him a trench coat and a fedora.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and a reddit account

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Jerusalem posted:

Friendzonestein.
Can someone gif the Vanessa helicopter? It was simultaneously horrifying and deeply hilarious.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
...so, with only two episodes left, I'm guessing this isn't going "True Detective"-style with a brand new cast and story next season?

Because they still have way too many threads hanging out there for this to resolve this season.

Including the "No way, totally normal, not a werewolf, nuh-uh" inevitable Ethan reveal.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I believe the whole Mina plot is supposed to be resolved by the end of the 8 episodes. Anything else ... probably up in the air.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Squidster posted:

Can someone gif the Vanessa helicopter? It was simultaneously horrifying and deeply hilarious.

Unfortunately they don't QUITE do the full 360, so here are a couple of different versions

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The big next-seasonish plot hook I remember being dropped so far has been Sir Malcolm's expedition to find the source of the Nile, which he said he'd like to take Ethan along for.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Jerusalem posted:

Unfortunately they don't QUITE do the full 360, so here are a couple of different versions

Much thanks, sir. Eva Green is consistently the most unsettling part of this show.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Squidster posted:

Much thanks, sir. Eva Green is consistently the most unsettling part of this show.

Eva Green was made for a role like this.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I love both shows but I get vaguely depressed seeing the volume of posts that go into the GoT threads daily and then come back here to find... 5 or do, on average. I realize we're talking very different volumes of watchers but still... there's got to be more goon interest in this show than this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Squidster posted:

She's absolutely the best part of the show, and I don't know if the show could really work without her (much as I love Timothy Dalton).

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

I love both shows but I get vaguely depressed seeing the volume of posts that go into the GoT threads daily and then come back here to find... 5 or do, on average. I realize we're talking very different volumes of watchers but still... there's got to be more goon interest in this show than this.

A bunch of people thought it was a vampire show and checked out without giving it a chance.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

smg77 posted:

A bunch of people thought it was a vampire show and checked out without giving it a chance.
Goons love True Blood? Granted I do and that show probably gets more traffic ... but okay... :psyduck:

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Having Caliban kill David Warner was pretty much the only way for me to resent that character more. I said "resent", not hate.

Good characters make me hate them. Lame rear end characters who steal screen time from their superiors or, worse, kill them make me resent them. I hope he's gone by season's end. He's added nothing to the show. Not a drat thing.

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

The reason is that Penny Dreadful is just not as good as GOT. My brother and I have the same tastes in shows and he loves PD while I'm still on the fence.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

:shrug: I think that Penny Dreadful and GoT try to do two very different things in two very different genres, it's apples to oranges. As to why there's a lack of goon interests? Well we're a pretty fickle lot, and TBH, it's nice to come into a thread and not be overwhelmed with the pointless negativity you find in more popular threads.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The vampire attack with them shooting etc... was pretty silly. Apparently the only attack vampires know with their superhuman strength is to jump on someones back.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

nutranurse posted:

:shrug: I think that Penny Dreadful and GoT try to do two very different things in two very different genres, it's apples to oranges. As to why there's a lack of goon interests? Well we're a pretty fickle lot, and TBH, it's nice to come into a thread and not be overwhelmed with the pointless negativity you find in more popular threads.
For the most part the amount of posts a show thread receives is usually inversely proportionate to how good the show actually is. Or at least, the quality of posters that it attracts (as in more of them are dumb as poo poo).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
v0v I always put off watching GoT in favor of watching Penny Dreadful. I think that PD is just a way more interesting show. But then, Penny Dreadful pushes all of my lit nerd/goth kid buttons, so I can see why it appeals to me specifically more than most.

And Continuum is the only show I stay up late to watch on Sunday nights now that I have to get up at 6 AM Eastern for work every morning, because :psyboom:.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The vampire attack with them shooting etc... was pretty silly. Apparently the only attack vampires know with their superhuman strength is to jump on someones back.

Come on man, it's a pulp paradigm. Shooting and loving and stabbing is what this show is about.

I don't see how people are trying to compare this show to Game of Thrones, they're so wildly different in just about every way imaginable. Small cast vs. Enormous Goddamn Cast, tiny setting vs. huge sprawling countryside kingdom, tawdry pulp vs. epic fantasy, largely familiar backstoried characters vs. new characters

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
We've only got 2 more episodes for Brona to die and become Mrs. Caliban and totally normal human Ethan to reveal that he's a werewolf still a totally normal human.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Incidentally I really loved Dorian's reaction to Vanessa's freakout in the midst of their loving. He's like, "Huh." and he's so jaded he just goes downstairs to admire his painting. Really a great adaptation of his character from the book.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Just powerhoused through this show and really enjoyed it. Caliban being a loving sperg is pretty much the greatest thing ever when you consider he's the goddamn Frankenstein monster. In season 3, we'll have a nice flashback where Victor expresses that his greatest regret was creating an MRA.

I'm really sad Brona is going to die. I want to hear her accent for all episodes. :(

I do agree with the notion that it's a little uneven in its awesome moments and more cheesy schlock, and it's very difficult to tell if that was intended or not. I mean, it looks and acts like a really serious show, but then it's called Penny Dreadful and features Frankenstein, Dorian Gray, and Van Hellsing, so it kind of throws that billing out of the window. Whatever it is, I think it's ridiculously entertaining. Eva Green really sells it, and I'm honestly happy Josh Hartnett of all actors is doing pretty well in his comeback role. Who would have guessed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Caliban really grew on me throughout the season. Yes he's angry and murdery, but mostly he's just misguided. Namely because he was left to completely fend for himself. He's still not my favourite character but I do feel for him and by the end of the season some of you might as well.

• Locked thread