Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sorry, Dr. Good is dead.

Actually, that would be a pretty great thing for the Onion to produce; a parody of "God's Not Dead" but it's just about Dr. Good. Smugly doctor-hating professor makes students sign a paper that Dr. Good is dead, faithful viewer refuses. Professor gets hit by bus. Dr. Good was inside us all along.

Okay well how about a Dr. Tanas spinoff?

A man can dream :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How quickly people forget Sex House and Porkin' Across America...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

How quickly people forget Sex House and Porkin' Across America...

Nah, that's pretty much the issue. They used to make really really good video stuff, but the key phrase in that sentence is "used to".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, that's pretty much the issue. They used to make really really good video stuff, but the key phrase in that sentence is "used to".
They kind of screwed themselves by coming out of the gate so strong. Sex House and Porkin' Across America were amazing dark comedy, and then the Onion Talks were a mixed bag but still pretty funny. But the stuff lately has been really hit-or-miss.

I'd loving love a season 2 of Sex House, but I have no idea how'd that work.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lake Dredge Appraisal 4 Lyfe

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh god, I can't believe I forgot about Lake Dredge Appraisal. That was loving art.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh god, I can't believe I forgot about Lake Dredge Appraisal. That was loving art.

And Horrifying Planet.

Oh, and this reductress is a little too close to home: http://reductress.com/post/how-to-stay-hidden-during-sex/

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Evil Mastermind posted:

They kind of screwed themselves by coming out of the gate so strong. Sex House and Porkin' Across America were amazing dark comedy, and then the Onion Talks were a mixed bag but still pretty funny. But the stuff lately has been really hit-or-miss.

I'd loving love a season 2 of Sex House, but I have no idea how'd that work.

You'd almost have to start fresh in a new city with new cast, and then have it go in a different direction. They took the first season about as far as it could go in the lovecraftian horror/darkness and death direction, and it was amazing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I think The Onion has understandably given up on elaborate video content. When you look at them branching out into video, their track record for financial and ratings success is pretty bad. "Sportsdome" only lasted a season on Comedy Central and got abysmal ratings by the end, "Onion News Network" only lasted two seasons on IFC and there was a controversy over their hiring of non-union writers to keep the budget low, "Onion News Empire" never made it past the pilot despite them pushing really hard for it and that was going to be an Amazon-exclusive show. That and seeing as how both "Sex House" and "Porkin Across America" wrapped in 2012, I think its safe to say that shows like "Dr. Good" and "Lake Dredge Appraisal", which stick to one set and only have four recurring cast members at the most are going to be as elaborate as they get from now on.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah I'm sad to say I agree. Sex House never really got its much deserved recognition. Looking at the YouTube views it looks like most viewers dropped out after the first episode.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Someone mentioned this as if it were a real thing in class and I was wondering what the gently caress they were talking about.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If You Grew Up With 'Calvin And Hobbes,' You Need To Watch This Right Now

holy loving poo poo

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh my god

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Just to say that link is pretty NWS.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3142608

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Clickhole is the best, jesus loving christ.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Holy loving lord :stonk:

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
The comments for that one on The Onion's Facebook are golden.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Wonder how much they paid someone to draw a naked child having sex

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Clickhole is the poo poo

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I can't breathe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my God :xd::hf::stare:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Considering that link shows a naked child, might it actually be illegal in some places?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I get the joke but what the gently caress.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

The comments for that one on The Onion's Facebook are golden.

The juxtaposition between the headline and the FB comments for this loving killed me.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm often amused by P4Rgaming, but their pieces almost never bite as hard as The Onion. But here's one that comes pretty close by perfectly summarizing every Nintendo "Opinion" piece on every videogame website.

I’m Running Out of Ideas to Piss Off Nintendo Fans So They Can Keep Clicking On My Articles

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Robert Denby posted:

I think The Onion has understandably given up on elaborate video content. When you look at them branching out into video, their track record for financial and ratings success is pretty bad. "Sportsdome" only lasted a season on Comedy Central and got abysmal ratings by the end, "Onion News Network" only lasted two seasons on IFC and there was a controversy over their hiring of non-union writers to keep the budget low, "Onion News Empire" never made it past the pilot despite them pushing really hard for it and that was going to be an Amazon-exclusive show. That and seeing as how both "Sex House" and "Porkin Across America" wrapped in 2012, I think its safe to say that shows like "Dr. Good" and "Lake Dredge Appraisal", which stick to one set and only have four recurring cast members at the most are going to be as elaborate as they get from now on.

I'm shocked, shocked that you didn't mention 2008's The Onion Movie, starring Stephen Seagal as Cock Puncher.

In terms of their video content in general though, New Marijuana Study Says Everyone Knows You're High And You'll Likely Be Stoned Forever is only a few months old and was totally great, especially the javascript prank it pulled.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Well here's some Onion video content. It's kind of one joke throughout the whole thing but I think it's a pretty funny joke.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
So I guess the Calvin and Hobbes video was removed. I'm, uh, glad to catch it before it disappeared.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

moller posted:

I'm shocked, shocked that you didn't mention 2008's The Onion Movie, starring Stephen Seagal as Cock Puncher.
I consider that one so well-known that I didn't feel it needed mentioning, but given that its been six years, how about a refresher?

Wikipedia posted:

In 2003, New Regency Productions and Fox Searchlight Pictures were on board to produce and release a movie written by The Onion staff. [...] After delays and previews to test audiences, the film was shelved and eventually dropped by Fox. New Regency Productions continued on with project.

In a March 15, 2007 interview, Scott Aukerman said that the Onion movie was at a "dead standstill". [...] Additionally, Onion, Inc. President at the time, Sean Mills, indicated The Onion was no longer associated with the film project. [...] In November 2007, then-President Sean Mills told Wikinews that the movie was a dead project.
Then it was released direct to video in 2008, five years after it had been shot.

I vaguely remember hearing that when it was shelved back in 2003, only about a third to half of it had been filmed, and that the rest of the filming was done in 2007 with completely different people in order to bulk the movie up to feature length so it could go direct-to-video.

Also its apparently called "News Movie" in the UK. :wtc:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ElectricWizard posted:

So I guess the Calvin and Hobbes video was removed. I'm, uh, glad to catch it before it disappeared.

Probably one of those ones where its a funny joke (like the Oscar tweet calling Quvenzhané Wallis a oval office) but was just a little too over the line.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

Probably one of those ones where its a funny joke (like the Oscar tweet calling Quvenzhané Wallis a oval office) but was just a little too over the line.
Or Bil Watterson threatened to sue.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can't be, there wasn't enough time for the carrier pigeon to inform him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Like tears in the rain...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They showed it to Sad Kevin hoping that it would get a smile from him. He watched it, let out a long sigh and said,"This would break Bill Watterson's heart."

"Godddammit, Kevin," they muttered, and hit the delete button.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'd imagine that that video might be straight-up illegal in some countries.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dr Christmas posted:

I'd imagine that that video might be straight-up illegal in some countries.

Everything is illegal in some countries.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So, what was the content of that video, roughly?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

univbee posted:

It was Hobbes having sex with Calvin. Well, now I've typed that sentence.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

univbee posted:

Calvin and Hobbs having sex, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wow, I thought it would have been some form of double entendre, "really looks like that's what it is but you could technically argue it wasn't", but if it was that blatant then goddamn.