Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I can't even come up with a movie that gives a poo poo about the geography of anything ever offhand. Some 70's car chase, maybe? Bullit / French Connection? It's really the last thing anyone will / should care about.

You don't even need to stay true to the area geography in order to stage a coherent chase scene with internal logic rather than a series of cuts, and that's like the one place where it could conceivably be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dpack_1 posted:

Is it really so hard to send out some sight and location scouts to figure out what would break immersion for anyone that has visited or lived in this city?

I think it's often the case that the real layouts don't fit the narrative the director is aiming for, so they use MOVIE MAGIC (like editing) to get the flow that they want. You might also find that implausible physics appear in movies like Thor 2, and that actors sound or behave differently from how people who know them in real life would expect.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Any screenwriter/film-maker who puts a scene in their film where the protagonist beats down a villain or monster or whatever with melee weapon, then turns away and drops the weapon while the obviously not dead bad guy gets up and does more bad guy poo poo should be castrated with a hacksaw and left in the wilderness to die*. I am totally serious about this. It should be a strictly enforced law. Same goes for Wilhelm and/or Howie screams.

*As for women offenders just toss them in the north Atlantic

KoB
May 1, 2009

dpack_1 posted:

Hollywood's idea that London is commutable (by any means) in a matter of minutes.

Seriously every film that has shots in London gently caress up our geography so bad.

28 Days Later had people turning a corner at Wembly before arriving at Canary Wharf. This is a 15-20 min drive, even with 0 traffic. With dead bodies, abandoned cars and other poo poo that would have happened to the city it's an hour minimum.

National Treasure 2 is just all over the loving place.

Thor 2, he gets on a tube and asks if this train goes to Greenwich. A passenger replies saying it's 3 stops down the line. Problem being the line he was on doesn't go anywhere near Greenwich.

Bourne Somethingorother (the 3rd one) has a sniper scene at Waterloo trainstation but even fucks up the geography of that once the chase starts.

Is it really so hard to send out some sight and location scouts to figure out what would break immersion for anyone that has visited or lived in this city?

Its not London, its everywhere. Any local will tell you a movie about their town is bullshit.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

One thing that always annoys me when I notice it is sloppy editing when two characters are having a conversation and you're watching over the shoulder of one of them, seeing only half their face out of focus. I get how it happens, the conversation is filmed twice, once from each perspective, and then movie magic happens, but it really ruins a scene when the person whose shoulder you're looking over is speaking and their entire body movement, most noticeably the jaw, is out of sync with what they're actually saying.

I get that you're supposed to focus on the face that's focused on, gauging their reaction or whatever, but it's often too glaringly obvious not to notice.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Millions of Crows posted:

Any screenwriter/film-maker who puts a scene in their film where the protagonist beats down a villain or monster or whatever with melee weapon, then turns away and drops the weapon while the obviously not dead bad guy gets up and does more bad guy poo poo should be castrated with a hacksaw and left in the wilderness to die*. I am totally serious about this. It should be a strictly enforced law. Same goes for Wilhelm and/or Howie screams.

*As for women offenders just toss them in the north Atlantic

I remember being a kid and watching some (Lifetime?) movie with my mom, and this woman was in a multistory building and the bad guy was a floor above her. She gets a gun, shoots upwards, and hears him scream. She then drops the gun and surprise, he just got grazed/hit where it doesn't matter.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any time where they completely botch basic military tactics, barely attempt to disguise military hardware as something completely different or just don't know what the gently caress a weapon does. As a military history student, it drives me up the wall.
An example of the first one would be the third Lord of the Rings movie, where Aragorn waits for the Mordor army to surround him completely before engaging. Cavalry charges in LotR in general are hilariously incompetent, but drat if they don't look great. :allears:

For the second and third, motherfucking Company of Heroes movie.
An "ambush party" composed of a machine gun and a mortar crews, completely alone, screening a German company. The machine gun is referred to as an MG42 IIRC, but it's actually a Schwarzlose Model M1907/24, a czech machine gun. There's an actual MG42 later on in the movie.

And this "German tank", a Russian T34-85.

G43 semiautomatic rifles being used as bolt action; Lee Enfields being the service rifle for American troops in late 1944.

I can totally forgive using Czech vz.24 as a replacement for Mauser K98s, because they kind of look the same. But there's a lot of frontal shots of Germans firing it and it's really noticeable. :v: The funny thing is, there's an actual Kar98 in the movie! It's used by a sniper at the beginning.

But I won't loving forgive that the guy with the Bazooka shooting at infantry orders the main character to do something about the T34-85, or all the Germans holding the MP40 by the magazine. :argh:

Azran has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Jun 17, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

I can sort-of forgive Russian-as-German tanks as I think there are far more of the former knocking about, though they could have at least tried to mock up body for the T34. But something as basic like getting infantry weapons right should be unforgivable for a WWII movie these days. Especially something as glaring as a Lee-Enfield rifle in American hands. Kinda sad seeing Tom Sizemore and Neal McDonough in the casting as they were in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers respectively where they got nearly everything spot on.

That looks like word salad, apologies.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Millions of Crows posted:

Any screenwriter/film-maker who puts a scene in their film where the protagonist beats down a villain or monster or whatever with melee weapon, then turns away and drops the weapon while the obviously not dead bad guy gets up and does more bad guy poo poo should be castrated with a hacksaw and left in the wilderness to die*. I am totally serious about this.

I don't mind too much when the good guy does this, as often there's a reason for it, like their moral compass. What's truly stupid is when it's the bad guys that do this. You can watch pretty much any actiony movie and at some point the bad guys will have the good guys captured, and if they'd just execute them then and there, their entire scheme will surely succeed.

Of course this has been mocked pretty thoroughly in Austin Powers but it's amazing how often this still happens.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

mng posted:

I can sort-of forgive Russian-as-German tanks as I think there are far more of the former knocking about, though they could have at least tried to mock up body for the T34. But something as basic like getting infantry weapons right should be unforgivable for a WWII movie these days. Especially something as glaring as a Lee-Enfield rifle in American hands. Kinda sad seeing Tom Sizemore and Neal McDonough in the casting as they were in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers respectively where they got nearly everything spot on.

That looks like word salad, apologies.

I think the really annoying part is that it's such an unnecesary movie. Company of Heroes is basically SPR/BoB in strategy videogame form. It's really derivative, and there are no actual characters. It's like making a movie based on FIFA 2013 or something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Azran posted:

I think the really annoying part is that it's such an unnecesary movie. Company of Heroes is basically SPR/BoB in strategy videogame form. It's really derivative, and there are no actual characters. It's like making a movie based on FIFA 2013 or something.

There's a movie based on Battleship. Hollywood cares more about the brand power then what they are adapting.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Azran posted:

Any time where they completely botch basic military tactics

Like jet fighters getting in to about 5 feet from the enemy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

malal posted:

Back on the video game thing, there's a powerful scene in Breaking Bad where Jessie is having a PTSD flashback while playing a light-gun video game. It was well shot and well done, but the game he was playing was RAGE, and that just threw me. It was cool to see a proper IP, it just didn't mesh that they changed a FPS to a railed light-gun shooter.

Shameless on Showtime had a scene where the younger Gallagher kids use an Xbox 360 and are supposedly playing Gears of War. I can't remember seeing the screen or hearing the sounds but Debbie clearly yells, "Die, Locusts!"

At least they knew what to call the enemies.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Taeke posted:

One thing that always annoys me when I notice it is sloppy editing when two characters are having a conversation and you're watching over the shoulder of one of them, seeing only half their face out of focus. I get how it happens, the conversation is filmed twice, once from each perspective, and then movie magic happens, but it really ruins a scene when the person whose shoulder you're looking over is speaking and their entire body movement, most noticeably the jaw, is out of sync with what they're actually saying.

I get that you're supposed to focus on the face that's focused on, gauging their reaction or whatever, but it's often too glaringly obvious not to notice.

Honestly sometimes the conversation is not only filmed twice, thrice etc. but the person they're talking to won't even be the other actor. They use stand-ins for conversations so they don't have to schedule both actors on the same day if it's unnecessary. Movie magic indeed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Byzantine posted:

Like jet fighters getting in to about 5 feet from the enemy.

Every director who watched the original King Kong swatting biplanes out of the sky from on top of the Empire State building has wanted to remake that scene ever since. Of course, the original movie is over 80 years old and planes don't have to do that poo poo any more.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Gorilla Salad posted:

Every director who watched the original King Kong swatting biplanes out of the sky from on top of the Empire State building has wanted to remake that scene ever since. Of course, the original movie is over 80 years old and planes don't have to do that poo poo any more.

Pacific Rim stands out as being exceptionally bad at this.

You could say that about a lot of things in that movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
ok, my only big irrational hate when it comes to movies are Michael bay movies. now to be fair, i like The Rock, mostly because its a regular action movie, with some good one liners and my dad loves it. but the rest are loving awful. I hate pearl harbor with passion for tons of reason, its lack of historic accuracy, its stupid jingoism, it unlikable characters, that awful loving love triangle. the only one of his movies i saw in theaters was transformers 3, god loving drat i wish i hadn't. i mean one of the first shots is loving rear end pan. the rest of it is loving poo poo and erection jokes, the action looks really lovely and out of focus and the human drama is loving terrible and forced. i walked out when optimus prime straight up executed a guy. also apparently, megan fox wasnt hired for the movie because she refuced to suck Bay off or so i heard. i never cared for her one way or another but jesus what ever model they picked for that one couldn't act for poo poo. and transformers 4 looks even loving worse from the trailers and it looks like its sucking off the loving tea party with its politics too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Two things. A) I agree with you, Michael Bay's movies suck for more reasons than just his explosion fetish, and B) your post is a fuckin' mess dude.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

There's a movie based on Battleship. Hollywood cares more about the brand power then what they are adapting.

Battleship was a legitimately good, layered, film and I will fight you IRL. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

poptart_fairy posted:

Battleship was a legitimately good, layered, film and I will fight you IRL. :colbert:

No it wasn't. But it was the film it needed to be, and I have no regret about shelling out extra to sit in a D-Box seat because that poo poo is perfect for that movie.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

dpack_1 posted:

Hollywood's idea that London is commutable (by any means) in a matter of minutes.

Seriously every film that has shots in London gently caress up our geography so bad.

28 Days Later had people turning a corner at Wembly before arriving at Canary Wharf. This is a 15-20 min drive, even with 0 traffic. With dead bodies, abandoned cars and other poo poo that would have happened to the city it's an hour minimum.

28 Weeks Later was even worse for this.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That's not specific to any one city, they do it to New York and Chicago all the time. Movie set in Chicago? Everything is next to the loop. ER used to make me so unnaturally angry when they'd go out of the hospital for a smoke and be 30 minutes away on the river somehow.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Michael Bay didn't bring back Megan Fox because she called him hitler in a magazine interview

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Michael Bay movies are all pretty bad, but Bad Boys I & II are pretty dope.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

dpack_1 posted:

The only time this locational geography type stuff bothered me enough to grumble was in Revolution. No cars, no planes, usually not even horses, and the characters suddenly materialize all over the US. I mean I know it would have been boring as crap to just watch people walking for 4 straight episodes, but I think they actually referenced timeframes sometimes and it felt really short for the distance.

Also, they always leave weapons on dead guys, even when they are obviously low on ammo themselves.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignite Memories posted:

Michael Bay didn't bring back Megan Fox because she called him hitler in a magazine interview

Michael Bay didn't give a poo poo, it was Spielburg who got all pissed off about the nazi comment. He brought her back for new Ninja Turtles.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

pengun101 posted:

ok, my only big irrational hate when it comes to movies are Michael bay movies. now to be fair, i like The Rock, mostly because its a regular action movie, with some good one liners and my dad loves it. but the rest are loving awful. I hate pearl harbor with passion for tons of reason, its lack of historic accuracy, its stupid jingoism, it unlikable characters, that awful loving love triangle. the only one of his movies i saw in theaters was transformers 3, god loving drat i wish i hadn't. i mean one of the first shots is loving rear end pan. the rest of it is loving poo poo and erection jokes, the action looks really lovely and out of focus and the human drama is loving terrible and forced. i walked out when optimus prime straight up executed a guy. also apparently, megan fox wasnt hired for the movie because she refuced to suck Bay off or so i heard. i never cared for her one way or another but jesus what ever model they picked for that one couldn't act for poo poo. and transformers 4 looks even loving worse from the trailers and it looks like its sucking off the loving tea party with its politics too.

I watched transformers 3 recently because I guess I hate myself.
It could have been so loving awesome. It's got loving robots from space invading earth and occupying cities. It got other loving robots from space fighting back, it's got fighter jets and big guns and every loving thing you need for a great dumb action movie.
And Michael Bay somehow fucks it up in so many ways. There's blatant sexism, an incredible amount of racism, the desperate attempt to turn loving Shia LaBeouf into an action heroand every character is some kind of wacky stereotype.
It's also has the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. Seriously, this guy saved the world twice already but boohoo no one wants to give him a job and he lost his supermodel girlfriend and that's so terrible except for of course he finds a job but it's a low level job so boohoo. Except at the end his boss pretty much wants to suck his cock because he's so super awesome and friends with a transformer. And of course he's got another supermodel girlfriend except this time she's blonde, British, even worse at acting and also pays his bills. Which wouldn't really be necessary because his parents are super rich because when you are writing a gigantic wank fantasy you might as well go all out.
The only good thing about this gigantic turd of a movie is that the next one can't possibly be any worse just because it has neither Megan fox nor Shia LaBeouf in it.
Oh who am I kidding...Michael Bay will find a way...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shai-Hulud posted:

the desperate attempt to turn loving Shia LaBeouf into an action hero

I don't know who decided Shia LaBeouf was action hero material, but I really hope they lost their jobs. I still put him being cast as a motorcycle-riding greaser we're supposed to view as cool and tough as the least believable thing in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Yes, even less believable than the nuclear fridge ride.

But to bring it back to Transformers 2. Shia starts the movie driving a silent giant robot around while attending college. I guess he's saving a shitload on petrol and vehicle registration :shrug: When asked to help save the world by teaming up with more giant robots and be rich and famous and have beautiful women suck his dick he decides that, no, it makes more sense to act all pissy about the end of the world getting in the way of his freshman year.

Then he almost gets raped by a smaller robot because the transformers can perfectly imitate humans now, apparently.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Coffee And Pie posted:

Michael Bay movies are all pretty bad, but Bad Boys I & II are pretty dope.

You are smart and attractive.
Bad Boys II is something like three hours long. Watch it and then Return of The King (extended) to waste a whole day!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Then he almost gets raped by a smaller robot because the transformers can perfectly imitate humans now, apparently.

What do you mean by now ?

The "pretenders" poo poo has been around since G1. Sure it was stupid to use it, but don't blame Michael Bay for inventing that poo poo.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Armageddon is the apex of disaster movies.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Action Tortoise posted:

Shameless on Showtime had a scene where the younger Gallagher kids use an Xbox 360 and are supposedly playing Gears of War. I can't remember seeing the screen or hearing the sounds but Debbie clearly yells, "Die, Locusts!"

At least they knew what to call the enemies.

In Olympus has Fallen when the kid is told to stop playing his game by the secret service agent, who switches the TV off directly, and you can see that he actually hits the central home button on the pad that would pause the game he was playing, as if he hopes to continue playing from the same point later. We've come a long way- a few years ago he'd have moaned how he was nearly on level 5 and an 80s sound effect would have played.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CratSock posted:

The only time this locational geography type stuff bothered me enough to grumble was in Revolution. No cars, no planes, usually not even horses, and the characters suddenly materialize all over the US. I mean I know it would have been boring as crap to just watch people walking for 4 straight episodes, but I think they actually referenced timeframes sometimes and it felt really short for the distance.

Also, they always leave weapons on dead guys, even when they are obviously low on ammo themselves.

The first season of Hannibal had a casual drive from Baltimore to Minnesota.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Characters also pop around from Quantico to Baltimore at the drop of a hat when its around 75 miles one way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shai-Hulud posted:

I watched transformers 3 recently because I guess I hate myself.
It could have been so loving awesome. It's got loving robots from space invading earth and occupying cities. It got other loving robots from space fighting back, it's got fighter jets and big guns and every loving thing you need for a great dumb action movie.
And Michael Bay somehow fucks it up in so many ways. There's blatant sexism, an incredible amount of racism, the desperate attempt to turn loving Shia LaBeouf into an action heroand every character is some kind of wacky stereotype.
It's also has the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. Seriously, this guy saved the world twice already but boohoo no one wants to give him a job and he lost his supermodel girlfriend and that's so terrible except for of course he finds a job but it's a low level job so boohoo. Except at the end his boss pretty much wants to suck his cock because he's so super awesome and friends with a transformer. And of course he's got another supermodel girlfriend except this time she's blonde, British, even worse at acting and also pays his bills. Which wouldn't really be necessary because his parents are super rich because when you are writing a gigantic wank fantasy you might as well go all out.
The only good thing about this gigantic turd of a movie is that the next one can't possibly be any worse just because it has neither Megan fox nor Shia LaBeouf in it.
Oh who am I kidding...Michael Bay will find a way...

I've said it before, but the core problem on the Transformer films is the Bay and the screenwriters were completely incapable of understanding that the Autobots and Decepticons are, at their core, people. Gigantic, metal, alien people, but people nonetheless, and should have been treated by the story as such.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.

Treguna Mekoides has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Jan 11, 2015

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Treguna Mekoides posted:

My biggest peeve for film would actually be people jumping up in a middle of a meal during a crisis. I dunno about you, but I'd wolf down whatever I could as fast as I could if I knew I might not be coming home. :colbert: Maybe I'm dumb.

You are not dumb. I loving hate when people throw food away 'cause they have to respond to some poo poo. At least loving save the food if you don't have the time to eat it right at this minute!

In general people seem to be starving all the time in media, so much that it borders on incompetence. You need food to do your loving job correct people!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm fairly sure they all flew, and it wouldn't be too long a flight. Hannibal is seen driving an SUV when taking Abigail home at one point, for instance. He drives some luxury sedan day-to-day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ammanas posted:

I'm fairly sure they all flew, and it wouldn't be too long a flight. Hannibal is seen driving an SUV when taking Abigail home at one point, for instance. He drives some luxury sedan day-to-day.

I think he's talking about the last episode of season 1 where Will kidnaps Hannibal and they drive to the Hobbs house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Treguna Mekoides posted:

My biggest peeve for film would actually be people jumping up in a middle of a meal during a crisis. I dunno about you, but I'd wolf down whatever I could as fast as I could if I knew I might not be coming home. :colbert: Maybe I'm dumb.

This seems to happen almost every time two cops are driving around together. One of them will buy some food and gets back in the car, they're both about to start eating when they have to respond to something, so they immediately throw the food out. Come on, you might be done with this in five minutes, just leave the food on the back seat or something.