Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

May wouldn't even deign to talk to someone as excessively American as Rutledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tanner vs. Stig Prime yes please.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

howe_sam posted:

Tanner vs. Stig Prime yes please.

I'm also hella down with this. Tanner and Stig Prime doing laps or chasing one another or simply trying to outdo one other in increasingly stupid ways would be pretty awesome. Lets see if the Stig can drift a semi!

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I think I've only watched the first season of Top Gear US, what's a good place to try out the more recent stuff? Should any episode from the newest season be a good starter?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

VodeAndreas posted:

I think I've only watched the first season of Top Gear US, what's a good place to try out the more recent stuff? Should any episode from the newest season be a good starter?

Hopefully you're watching it now, but essentially they dropped the segments that they were bad at by Season 3 so it's one big long challenge. From then on it's good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Good" is relative, though. It's exhausting trying to convince myself that any of the one-liners these guys dish out are funny.

One bit last week, Tanner was like "It may have been beautiful, but at the rate we were going, we'd never get there."

I don't know if that's the limit of their creativity or if it's a matter of :effort:, but we all know if it were Clarkson it would be something like "It may have been beautiful, but at the rate we were going, by the time we got to the Grand Canyon it would have been twice as deep."

I know TV people are convinced Americans don't care about wordplay and organic ad-libbed comedy and poo poo, but ffs it's such a big part of why I watch TGUK.

And they can say "chia pet" but they can't say "pop rocks", good lord...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The big problem with top gear US is they try to make it about the personalities, which the hosts completely lack. They just blandly recite poorly written lines.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Powershift posted:

The big problem with top gear US is they try to make it about the personalities, which the hosts completely lack. They just blandly recite poorly written lines.

I dunno, seeing Lou Ferrigno own Adam just now made me really feel the schadenfreude because he does a good job of making me dislike him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Surprise! Tanner gets the Ferrari in an upset nobody could have predicted! :vince:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Data Graham posted:

Surprise! Tanner gets the Ferrari in an upset nobody could have predicted! :vince:

He won fair and square :colbert: Besides, Adam might actually kill himself in that car.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Data Graham posted:

May wouldn't even deign to talk to someone as excessively American as Rutledge.

Honestly they would hit it off quite splendidly I imagine. Game recognize gameGeek recognize geek.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pik_d posted:

He won fair and square :colbert: Besides, Adam might actually kill himself in that car.

I just find it really hard to believe that in a country as big as this one they couldn't put together a cast of three people who could be a) funny, b) knowledgeable enough about cars to make useful observations and knowing jokes about them rather than "German people collect mechanical pencils or whatever", and c) willing and able to hold themselves together in a supercar for long enough to make the audience feel like driving a high-end car on a track is something to which any schmoe might aspire, instead of something only the hired professional ringer should ever be allowed to do.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So by summer Top Gear UK really means we'll see the special a week into fall right?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

pik_d posted:

Hopefully you're watching it now, but essentially they dropped the segments that they were bad at by Season 3 so it's one big long challenge. From then on it's good.

To be fair this has pretty much been top gear UK for the last 5 seasons. We used to get one epic road trip every other season and i got really excited for it, now we get 2 per year and i miss them driving used porsches in southern england.

"Oh, supercars on a roadtrip in southern europe, how original, thanks jeremy. i wonder if you will drag race in a tunnel"
*pines for the day when we got a french minivan haling duty-free cheese, or the guy from wheeler dealers making a cheap bond car*

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Data Graham posted:

I just find it really hard to believe that in a country as big as this one they couldn't put together a cast of three people who could be a) funny, b) knowledgeable enough about cars to make useful observations and knowing jokes about them rather than "German people collect mechanical pencils or whatever", and c) willing and able to hold themselves together in a supercar for long enough to make the audience feel like driving a high-end car on a track is something to which any schmoe might aspire, instead of something only the hired professional ringer should ever be allowed to do.
There are people like that. The problem is that anyone who can do those things will occasionally say negative things about car manufacturers who advertise on the show/network, and we can't have that, now can we?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The Top Gear challenges I like the best are the cheap car challenges. I've been going back through the older episodes and the amount of screwing around and genuine banter they have is really nice.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

8ender posted:

The Top Gear challenges I like the best are the cheap car challenges. I've been going back through the older episodes and the amount of screwing around and genuine banter they have is really nice.
You might like this: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/allcarsgotoheaven

Very much in the spirit of the cheap car challenges.

Anyone besides me rent and watch this? It was a lot of fun, especially if you like Matt Farah.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I enjoyed All Cars Go To Heaven too. They gave up too early on that poor Cherokee though. I bet they could have swapped in a new axle from one in a junkyard and been on their way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Data Graham posted:

These people exist, but they're already doing Drive, The Smoking Tire and Roadkill.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I don't know why (I guess the football), but for the past 48hrs, the most read article on The Guardian is a 2011 opinion piece from Steve Coogan, slagging off TG.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KozmoNaut posted:

These people exist, but they're already doing Drive, The Smoking Tire and Roadkill.

Only one of those is correct. Roadkill absolutly beats TG even

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat Terrist posted:

Only one of those is correct. Roadkill absolutly beats TG even

Obviously Chris Harris doesn't count, but Matt Farah is good, and supposedly he has an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of obscure automotive facts, model variations, everything. He would be a lot more interesting than the current TG USA crew.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Anybody catch this week's Top Gear US? Jesus, that was awful. I'd rather have watched MotorWeek.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody catch this week's Top Gear US? Jesus, that was awful. I'd rather have watched MotorWeek.

With the snowplow school bus? There's something wrong with you. It's not the best show and it's definitely not as good as uk top gear but it's become quite watchable and that particular episode was pretty entertaining.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't like this opinion. Personally I'm enjoying the weekly trio-do-a-challenge-then-Tanner-drives-a-cool-car thing they have going on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I would much rather see Tanner thrash a ferrari and slide a GTR all over the place in the snow than have Adam or Rut try to "review" it. I just wish the ferrari segment had gone on longer instead of being part of the end credits.

This week's "I'll drive," cue huge school bus drifts was pretty entertaining. The other guys didn't seem to understand that the snowbanks are an important part of winter rally though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 27, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Stig is making a return on Top Gear America, I wonder that all that's about?

:siren: Top Gear America is moving to Sundays at 10 PM in future episodes :siren:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 9, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tonights episode involves a 1000hp minivan.

The hosts are still cunts, but that minivan, holy poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't think modified vehicles are in the spirit of Top Gear, but the US seems to be going with it.

Too bad the minivan still turns like a 200hp minivan, with ugly rims, that's just about stanced. Also too bad Rutledge was literally never in the correct gear at any time. You'd think 1000hp would power through that, but I guess not.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think modified vehicles are in the spirit of Top Gear, but the US seems to be going with it.

I seem to recall Clarkson and the gang breaking out a van with crazy super powerful engine when they were racing the Top Gear: Australia cast. And a good chunk of the cars they review have been tuned up by somebody.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I seem to recall Clarkson and the gang breaking out a van with crazy super powerful engine when they were racing the Top Gear: Australia cast.
It was a Jaguar XJ220 test mule with a LWB Ford Transit body, insane poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I genuinely laughed my rear end off a few times this time, like at the cereal-spewing baby.

Also "But I shoot with this hand" was pretty drat funny. :v:

It's also interesting to see how they seem not necessarily to be trying to recreate specific challenges from TGUK, but rather certain images. Like, this wasn't any Bolivia Special, but they found their way to a version of that iconic image of the guys and the three cars stopped at the end of a road 17,000 feet up a volcano.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

By the way, I've decided that the best UK/us crossover would be 3 host teams (Adam/Jeremy, Tanner/Richard, Rutledge/James) competing against a Stig/Stig team in a series of challenges.

This won't ever happen, but it makes me happy to imagine. Mainly I imagine Jeremy driving well and then Adam destroying whatever vehicle their team has. And Rut/James either finding common things they and no one else love or arguing endlessly over things they and no one else care about. And Tanner/Richard only get to drive Minis.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

By the way, I've decided that the best UK/us crossover would be 3 host teams (Adam/Jeremy, Tanner/Richard, Rutledge/James) competing against a Stig/Stig team in a series of challenges.

Why does Tanner get to be teamed up with another American?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I'm pretty sure if this show wasn't labeled "Top Gear" the whining and bitching about it would be significantly less.

It's 3 guys cocking about in cars, its silly and entertaining. I am surprised Rutledge doesn't post here already, he is prototypical AI.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Mighty Horse posted:

I'm pretty sure if this show wasn't labeled "Top Gear" the whining and bitching about it would be significantly less.

It's 3 guys cocking about in cars, its silly and entertaining. I am surprised Rutledge doesn't post here already, he is prototypical AI.

Maybe he does :ninja:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

Maybe he does :ninja:

I have this feeling that he's NASCAR enough that he'd be in the Awful Car Stuff thread defending rolling coal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like how Rutledge has managed to lose weight everywhere but his head.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Mighty Horse posted:

Of course if it wasn't called Top Gear no one would have heard of or watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Galler posted:

Of course if it wasn't called Top Gear no one would have heard of or watched it.

I might have checked it out. Most US car shows are more concerned with making cars go faster in a straight line. The fabrication shows are more annoying than interesting because the shop owner is always on the verge of a massive stroke.

And then there's Motorweek.