Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Les Affaires posted:

Just a reminder, something being constitutional does not necessitate it being just or right.

Yeah the High Court can only say whether or not it's legal in a strict constitutional sense; they're not really there to make value judgements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Those On My Left posted:

Yup, a 6:0 decision (Gageler recused himself).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2014/22.html

Incredibly short judgment.

"(6) Who should pay the costs of and incidental to this Stated Case?

Answer: The plaintiff."

I hope he tells them to get hosed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mike Daube is a pretty cool dude. I got drunk with him earlier this year :3:

EDIT FOR CONTENT:

Guardian Australia posted:

Hillary Clinton: Australian PM Julia Gillard faced 'outrageous sexism'
In two separate interviews, Clinton praised female leaders in Germany and Australia saying US should follow suit

In two separate interviews on Monday, Hillary Clinton praised female leaders in Germany and Australia, saying the US should follow suit and put a woman in charge.

Although she is widely expected to run for the presidency in 2016, Clinton was careful to not go as far as saying it should be her in the White House.

"Of course I want the USA to have a woman leader soon as well and I will do all I can for that to happen, though I don't know yet if it will be me," Clinton told Stern, a weekly German magazine, in an interview to be published on Wednesday. Excerpts were released on Monday.

Clinton has been giving interviews since releasing her political memoir, Hard Choices, last week.

She said during the interview that the US should follow Germany's example and elect a female leader. Angela Merkel is Germany's first female chancellor.

"We are way behind you in Germany on this," Clinton said.

In her book, Clinton raised the issue of sexism in politics, writing that former Australian prime minister Julia Gillard faced "outrageous sexism", which should not be tolerated in politics around the world.

"I don't have a problem with anybody – man or woman – contesting anyone's position, anyone's policy, taking a person to account, but doing so in a way that I thought depersonalised the very personal, that demeaned, just didn't seem to fit the Australia that I have come to know," she said, speaking to Australian Broadcasting Corporation's 7.30 program on Monday from New York.

Clinton praised Gillard for fighting back in her now-famous anti-misogyny speech. Gillard's speech was in response to comments made by then-opposition leader Tony Abbott, who is now prime minister.

"But the overall impact – and I saw online the speech that [former] prime minister Gillard gave about misogyny – was very striking to me because she did go chapter and verse," Clinton said,

Clinton wouldn't name Abbott when discussing who demeaned Gillard. Abbott received a special ceremonial welcome last week during his first formal meeting with President Barack Obama at the Oval Office.

In her book, the former first lady talks about the sexism she personally faced during her 2008 presidential bid.

"As to the sexism that surfaced during the campaign, I knew that it arose from cultural and psychological attitudes about women's roles in society, but that didn't make it any easier for me and my supporters," she wrote.

In an interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer prior to the launch of her book, Clinton said her guarded persona was due in part to sexism.

Clinton said: "When you're in the spotlight as a woman, you know you're being judged constantly. It is just never-ending."

Clinton suggested during the interview that she would make the decision to run for president after the end of the book tour.

At least we aren't getting away with being horrible shits entirely.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 18, 2014

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-18/changes-to-australian-foreign-aid-julie-bishop/5531106

Now if you want aid from Australia, you have to do meet certain "criteria". I can only imagine what this might even be.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Christine Milne is advertising a loving unpaid internship.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
So with the High Court decision, is it the case that what the Government are doing is not explicitly prohibited by the constitution?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

So with the High Court decision, is it the case that what the Government are doing is not explicitly prohibited by the constitution?

Correct.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
First potential DD trigger pulled. The senate rejected the CEFC.
Doesn't it have to be rejected again to really get the panic started?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

WebDog posted:

First DD trigger pulled.The senate rejected the CEFC.

Rejected the CEFC repeal, it's probably important to note.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Politics Blog posted:

Tony Abbott gets his first double dissolution trigger
I bring you good news of great joy. Tony Abbott has his first theoretical double dissolution trigger. (I say theoretical just in a practical sense – for all the huffing and puffing about mandates, it doesn't make any sense that the prime minister would actually go to an election when every major opinion poll suggests the Coalition would get hammered. But perhaps I'm missing a very important subtlety. It wouldn't be the first time.)

Anyhow, just the facts M'am. The Senate has again rejected the government's bill to abolish the CEFC. South Australian independent Nick Xenophon voted with Labor and the Greens to protect the CEFC. DLP Senator John Madigan abstained.
Election Now.

Holy poo poo I just found Electionnow.com.au ahahahahahahahaha.

EDIT: Too slow hooman, curse you electionnow.com.au and your mesmerising train wreck like nature.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

CrazyTolradi posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-18/changes-to-australian-foreign-aid-julie-bishop/5531106

Now if you want aid from Australia, you have to do meet certain "criteria". I can only imagine what this might even be.

Criterion #1 - Do you have any mineral goodness buried underneath you?
Criterion #2 - Will you allow us to build a concentration camp inside of you?
Criterion #3 - Do you have an unending army of labour for our future Special Economic Zones?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The Greens have been doing this heaps and it loving pisses me off

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

Yup, a 6:0 decision (Gageler recused himself).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2014/22.html

Incredibly short judgment.

Les Affaires posted:

Just a reminder, something being constitutional does not necessitate it being just or right.

So the legislation they had to pass relating to the NT intervention was to ensure constitutionality? From what I can tell they just created a new piece of legislation to say that the intervention is classified as a 'special measure' (as described in the racial discrimination act).

If a legislative act includes broadly defined 'exception clauses', can you use them to do things which would otherwise be unconstitutional? Is there any legal process that can challenge the validity of these exceptions? Or do we solely rely on politicians to not enact legislation where a prime minister can easily decide who it does and doesn't apply to?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Ashby has dropped his case against Slipper.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Tokamak posted:

So the legislation they had to pass relating to the NT intervention was to ensure constitutionality? From what I can tell they just created a new piece of legislation to say that the intervention is classified as a 'special measure' (as described in the racial discrimination act).

If a legislative act includes broadly defined 'exception clauses', can you use them to do things which would otherwise be unconstitutional? Is there any legal process that can challenge the validity of these exceptions? Or do we solely rely on politicians to not enact legislation where a prime minister can easily decide who it does and doesn't apply to?

In general we rely on the parliament not to enact a law that gives the executive powers over and above what the community would expect. Unfortunately the expectations of community are a fickle thing and what the community expected when Australia first implemented the racial discrimination act is not necessarily what the community expects now.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hooman posted:

Ashby has dropped his case against Slipper.

Is there any word of Slipper seeking costs?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Quantum Mechanic posted:

What do you expect? The greens are a bunch of bourgeoise latte-sipping doctors wives who wouldn't know a class struggle if you beat them to death with it.

Labor is and always has been the true party of the working class.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

Election Now.

Holy poo poo I just found Electionnow.com.au ahahahahahahahaha.

EDIT: Too slow hooman, curse you electionnow.com.au and your mesmerising train wreck like nature.

Maybe this time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.
Now we get to see that (some) double dissolution triggers are absolutely meaningless.

The likely result now is the House presents the bill to the Senate for a third time after the 30th June where the numbers would have changed and the vote to abolish the CEFC will pass.

As much as I'd like to see the end of TA as PM. So its really a case of: Bummer.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Really depends how much Palmer cares about the CEFC. Coalition won't get the numbers to scrap it otherwise considering Madigan and Xenophon right now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

CrazyTolradi posted:

quote:

In what Foreign Minister Julie Bishop says are "radical" changes, aid programs will be delivered in partnership with the private sector.

"We're not getting the outcomes we should expect from the billions and billions of dollars we invest in aid, so I want to see better outcomes."

She said performance benchmarks would be critical to the new way aid money was spent, stressing it would be in partnership with recipient countries.

"Performance benchmarks are part of the new aid policy to ensure ... that we meet those benchmarks so that recipient governments also take responsibility for the delivery of aid and the implementation of aid programs," she said.

"If they receive Australian aid we will discuss with them, consult with them, about how to get the best outcomes.

"We want to be economic partners, we want to move away from the old stereotype of aid donor/aid recipient, and work in partnership with countries, particularly in the Pacific."

The Coalition cut the aid budget by $7.6 billion over five years when it handed down its first budget in May.

:suicide:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's good to see foreign aid finally getting the managerialist mutual obligation treatment that the rest of the welfare system has to put up with. Those countries have had it too good for too long.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Libs left without a candidate for Riverstone after Kevin Conolly disendorsed

June 18, 2014 - 12:49PM
Sean Nicholls
Sydney Morning Herald State Political Editor

The NSW Liberals have been left without a candidate for the seat of Riverstone after sitting MP Kevin Conolly was sensationally disendorsed by his own branches following a falling out with the family of failed federal hopeful Jaymes Diaz.

Mr Conolly was resoundingly disendorsed by a vote of 14 - 3 at a meeting on Monday night that was supposed to confirm he would run for the Liberals in the safe Liberal seat in Sydney's north west.

The decision means the Liberal state executive may be forced to decide between using special powers to impose Mr Conolly as the candidate or reopen the preselection process.

Mr Conolly is a member of the Liberal party's hard right faction, which has been vocal in its opposition to the use of use of special powers by the state executive controlled by the rival left and centre right factions.

Mr Conolly's branches are controlled by members and supporters of the family of the failed former candidate for the federal seat of Greenway, Jaymes Diaz.

During last year's federal election campaign, Mr Diaz gained notoriety after failing to name the Liberal Party's six-point plan for stopping asylum seeker boats during a television interview and then seeking to avoid further scrutiny.

It is understood Mr Conolly initially enjoyed the support of the Diaz family but after patriarch Jess Diaz failed secure the Blacktown mayoralty he nominated against him in Riverstone in February.

A Liberal party source suggested the falling out was due to Mr Conolly withdrawing his support for Mr Diaz's tilt at the mayoralty, but a separate source denied this.

Last week local media reported that Mr Diaz had suddenly pulled out of the preselection contest and quoted Mr Conolly as saying winning the seat would be "a lot tougher this time".

Mr Conolly won Riverstone with a record swing in 2011 to become the seat's first Liberal MP. A source said it was apparent that "the Diaz family has been at it again" and expressed surprise that it would seek to topple a sitting candidate.

The irony of Mr Conolly potentially needing to rely on state executive's intervention to secure his candidacy has not been lost on his factional rivals.

"Conolly has railed against the use of special powers," one said. "Now he needs them". Mr Conolly declined to comment.

Ahahahaha. Looking forward to the election.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
When you've killed all your own poor you've got to get new ones to gently caress with somewhere.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Ahahahaha. Looking forward to the election.

Wait the liberals actually think they have a left faction in the party?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

"We're not getting the outcomes we should expect from the billions and billions of dollars we invest in aid, so I want to see better outcomes."

Not giving money to the worlds most needy because they don't see it as a good investment. :wtc:

Hang on, does this mean the money they cut is going to be uncut and given to other groups now?

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Saw this site going around on facebook; What is your Game of Thrones Name?

Seems accurate.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

They're the part who realises that bankrupting the poor and middle classes will annihilate the economy.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Gough Suppressant posted:

Well you see they have the lot that think their policies has go too far, the lot who think they've struck the balance and then the other lot who think they haven't gone far enough. So yeah, relatively they do

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

quote:

aid programs will be delivered in partnership with the private sector.

quote:

quote:

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

"Feeding the Poor: A partnership between Serco and the Australian Government"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Haters Objector posted:

"Feeding the Poor: A partnership between Serco and the Australian Government"

[Click here to Like this]

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I may not be as cynical as some, but surely that would be referring to NGO charities, and not outsourcing aid to for-profit organisations right....right?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Haters Objector posted:

"A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People From Being a Burthen to Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Publick"

Brought to you by Serco and the Australian Government

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

I may not be as cynical as some, but surely that would be referring to NGO charities, and not outsourcing aid to for-profit organisations right....right?

Well, maybe. While definitely private entities they aren't typically referred to as the 'private sector' and would usually be referred to as NGOs or the not for profit sector.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to be wrong though.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

open24hours posted:

It's good to see foreign aid finally getting the managerialist mutual obligation treatment that the rest of the welfare system has to put up with. Those countries have had it too good for too long.

I expect to see a 3-year, 10% return on famine relief foodstuffs. You can deliver the crops to our export markets and send us the cash, if it would make things easier.
Thanks Africa.
Regards, GrainCorp.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I'm pretty sure a lot of aid programs already get contracted out to NGO's, so this change in language makes me think that it's going to be megacorporations buying the rights to suck whatever profit they possibly can from the poorest countries in the world

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Foreign Aid™
Now with 50% more exploitation!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Future News.com.au Article posted:

Hancock prospecting has today been awarded the contract for providing humanitarian services to Cambodia. The 200 million dollar package is expected to create thousands of jobs and the supporting infrastructure for employment of some of the poorest members of villages near large ore deposits. Ms. Rhineheart today has generously offered any local villages 1% of operating profits for participation in the scheme. Directors of Serco expressed disappointment that their venture of refugee internment camps did not receive the go ahead.

"Foreign" "Aid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Haters Objector posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of aid programs already get contracted out to NGO's, so this change in language makes me think that it's going to be megacorporations buying the rights to suck whatever profit they possibly can from the poorest countries in the world

Probably more along the lines of companies latching onto the aid budget and sucking money out of that in return for providing threadbare 'outcomes' to the target nation, and pocketing the difference. Money for jam.

• Locked thread