Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mafoose posted:

I wonder what final drive it has, as a non OD transmission with a big carb v8 could really suck fuel like it's going out of style.

Im trying to find out as I already have the Yukon with the 6.0 and a Range Rover that gets 14 going down hill...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Holy hell. I feel so bad for her :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Holy poo poo that is hosed up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

angryhampster posted:

I rented a Terios in Costa Rica for a week. We took it on some very questionable and steep "roads" without issue. I liked that stupid thing.

Yeeeaaaaah I aint buying that one. A Terios is challenged by a driveway, let alone anything that remotely approaches unsealed roads.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Devyl posted:

My dad wanted to buy a regal a few months ago. I am so glad that we didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A few weeks back, my friend and part time employee lost her boyfriend. He dies of liver failure in his sleep and her entire reality has shattered. Today, a creepy, piece of poo poo regular customer who somehow found out all the details (probably through the store manager who is pissing me the gently caress off) informed me of his plan to make a move on her since "she's easy pickings now."

I drat near jumped the counter to kill this gently caress. I told him to shut his loving mouth and if I heard that he went near her I'd kill him. I told him he's banned from the store as well. I'm still shaking in rage over this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Careful, you just banned Sterling Archer.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BoostCreep posted:

Does anyone here live in Hong Kong? I'm here for the week and I want a tour guide. Or at least someone to tell me where to eat.

I don't live there, but have visited five times in a little over a year. Total in-country time exceeds two months.

There's a chain of steak houses called Wooloomooloo that are quite good. The food is good, but what sells them are the views. I've been to the one on the island and the one in iSquare, both are good.

In LKF (I believe) there's a bar + restaurant called Lily & Bloom. I believe Bloom is the restaurant, good stuff.

Oyster & Wine Bar in The Sheraton has my recommendations as well.

The head waiter quit, which may have made the experience less intense, but Quemo! has excellent Spanish (as in euro-spanish) food. Try the black rice.

All of these places are pricey, as in USD 100-200 per head, before wine.

Edit: Whatever you do, don't order pizza. I don't know if it's the temps, humidity, lack of good flour or what, but they're always expensive and always crap.

Edit the 2nd: If you're feeling frugal and adventurous, go find Foodtrip Bedana's. Hole in the wall, eight very tightly packed seats, best Philippino food this side of Leyte.

Edit the 3rd: The girlfriend sayd: Tim Ho Wan, Michelin Star dim sum, The Market buffet (if you can get a seat), Crystal Jade, Macau Restaurant in TST, Qi of Szechuan (spicy!)

bolind fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 17, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Careful, you just banned Sterling Archer.

And/or to go old school JD from Scrubs with Tasty Coma Wife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZKmwEraQ7w

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

bolind posted:

I don't live there, but have visited five times in a little over a year. Total in-country time exceeds two months.

There's a chain of steak houses called Wooloomooloo that are quite good. The food is good, but what sells them are the views. I've been to the one on the island and the one in iSquare, both are good.

In LKF (I believe) there's a bar + restaurant called Lily & Bloom. I believe Bloom is the restaurant, good stuff.

Oyster & Wine Bar in The Sheraton has my recommendations as well.

The head waiter quit, which may have made the experience less intense, but Quemo! has excellent Spanish (as in euro-spanish) food. Try the black rice.

All of these places are pricey, as in USD 100-200 per head, before wine.

Edit: Whatever you do, don't order pizza. I don't know if it's the temps, humidity, lack of good flour or what, but they're always expensive and always crap.

Edit the 2nd: If you're feeling frugal and adventurous, go find Foodtrip Bedana's. Hole in the wall, eight very tightly packed seats, best Philippino food this side of Leyte.

Edit the 3rd: The girlfriend sayd: Tim Ho Wan, Michelin Star dim sum, The Market buffet (if you can get a seat), Crystal Jade, Macau Restaurant in TST, Qi of Szechuan (spicy!)

Night market street food is the correct answer. I found some great stuff in Yau MA tei . For everything else ask a local or the hotel concierge for a favorite dim sum place or whatever you are after.

I lived in China for almost five years and visited Hong Kong a few times and was always disappointed in the more expensive places, especially the fancy ones. The best food was always at a place that was dingy and cheap packed with locals.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Just got 4 of these today:

http://www.tinydeal.com/35mm-qihoo-360-klick-quick-button-dustproof-plug-jack-plug-p-128754.html

A Chinese knockoff of Pressy, but a damned useful little thing. I'd have to think that a button like this will be integrated into future phones without having to dedicate your headphone jack to it. At least it keeps debris out of the headphone jack.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had a Nokai 5800 Xpressmusic that had a dedicated, two-stage shutter button, like a real camera. In it's day it was pretty awesome, and survived BCT and AIT with me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I bought an Evo 3D because of the shutter button. Sight-unseen, of course.

Problem was, the butter's actuation was so loving stiff that taking a picture using it guaranteed you'd shake the loving phone. loving HTC.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Devyl posted:

rscott posted:

Holy poo poo that is hosed up.
Exactly how big of an rear end-kicking in court are we looking at here? GM's counsel just saying "Look, give us a blank cheque, stay home, and watch The Rainmaker until I call you"?

Cat Terrist posted:

Yeeeaaaaah I aint buying that one. A Terios is challenged by a driveway, let alone anything that remotely approaches unsealed roads.
Miniature SUVs? PANDA 4X4 SUPREMACY! :black101:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Exactly how big of an rear end-kicking in court are we looking at here? GM's counsel just saying "Look, give us a blank cheque, stay home, and watch The Rainmaker until I call you"?

They're probably just going to say "that was old GM, we're new GM, an entirely different company, tough poo poo"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Not gonna lie, as soon as the 2003 Panda 4x4 becomes legal for import I will be trying to figure out how to get one across the Atlantic.

By 2018 its piddly little motor will probably actually make fuel-economy sense for North America.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tanga is having a good sale on Mechanix and Snap-on gloves -- Starting at $9/pair with a 3 pack of Mechanix for $20.50 and free shipping.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/heavy-duty-work-gloves-6-17

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not gonna lie, as soon as the 2003 Panda 4x4 becomes legal for import I will be trying to figure out how to get one across the Atlantic.

By 2018 its piddly little motor will probably actually make fuel-economy sense for North America.
Original Pandas are over the age limit anyway, and much better off-road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

next year, you will be able to import 6 year old mexican cars, which includes the 2007-2009 panda that was sold there.

2 years after that, the 2010 focus RSs will be legal.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Or you can just buy one of these later this year: http://www.jeep.com/en/2015/renegade/

Which is apparently based on the Panda 4x4.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

next year, you will be able to import 6 year old mexican cars, which includes the 2007-2009 panda that was sold there.

2 years after that, the 2010 focus RSs will be legal.

I thought you could import any Mexican car. I didn't realize they hadn't passed the rule change yet and it's only six year old cars :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I thought you could import any Mexican car. I didn't realize they hadn't passed the rule change yet and it's only six year old cars :(

By 2019 it will be any new car, but the minimum wage will drop every 2 years until then.

That means in 2019 you'll be able to buy this new in mexico for $15k and bring it up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You put it on a boat, or wait until March and drive :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

By 2019 it will be any new car, but the minimum wage will drop every 2 years until then.

That means in 2019 you'll be able to buy this new in mexico for $15k and bring it up.

Yeah but why would you want to?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

We don't get anything approaching a proper ute up here anymore, but there are plenty of people who would like something that has an open bed with the driving dynamics of a car.

Now, whether that thing is any good, is another story.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have said it before... But if you don't get electricity don't go hacking into poo poo.

I just got the ignition system sorted on the rover.... What the PO were trying to accomplish I have no ideas. But its fixed and works perfectly! Now to fix those oil leaks :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

We don't get anything approaching a proper ute up here anymore, but there are plenty of people who would like something that has an open bed with the driving dynamics of a car.

Now, whether that thing is any good, is another story.

It wont be. The only Ute like that is the Commodore Ute and that's about to go bye bye.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cat Terrist posted:

Forgivee Me Lord, for I have sinned. I drove a Prius today. I truly repent from not hacking that piece of poo poo to peices when I had the chance.

Little late, but we have a high score sheet with the work Prius. You get in, reset the average consumption and then hammer it everywhere. Highest average so far was a 150km trip that returned 27.5L/100!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cat Terrist posted:

It wont be. The only Ute like that is the Commodore Ute and that's about to go bye bye.

I used to think falcons were in the same ballpark until I worked on one. Turns out BA falcons are laughably bad mechanically compared to a VZ/VE commy.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

8ender posted:

Same. I had a late nineties one and learned stick shift on it, in Costa Rica. I was doing hill starts in 4WD up insane inclines through a haze of clutch smoke and it took it like a champ.

I named him Terry.

Seriously. I developed a bond with that dinky little car.

He took us down (and back up) slightly frightening wet roads.

He doubled as a pilot car with me at the helm.

..he took us to our honeymoon suite.

e: Here's the view from the other side of that ^ just because it's worth posting:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

e: Here's the view from the other side of that ^ just because it's worth posting:

that was worth posting. My god, that's perfect!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

angryhampster posted:

I named him Terry.

Our looked like this:

It managed well on roads just like the one in the picture. At one point we were trying to find an animal sanctuary and the road just disappeared into boulders and mud. We went over a bridge made of sheet metal and up a ridiculous mountain pass and there it was.

I also bonded with my Terios and miss the little guy.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

that was worth posting. My god, that's perfect!

It was insane. The entire country was pristine. The people were great, and we loved every minute down there. Except for the car rental, everything was really cheap.

Here's a few more just for the poo poo of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
While I was in Italy recently I saw some cops with a Terios.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I just got the ignition system sorted on the rover.... What the PO were trying to accomplish I have no ideas. But its fixed and works perfectly! Now to fix those oil leaks :v:

Don't get ideas above your station...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

After a couple years of fence-sitting, I'm finally buying a set of PDR tools tomorrow. Complete wild-rear end guess as to whether I'll be able to learn to do it or not, but I've wanted to learn for a long time. :ohdear:

Did you get it? I'm quite intrigued.

I stumbled upon this video which appears to take a bit of the guesswork out of it. I like the magnet trick.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

I used to think falcons were in the same ballpark until I worked on one. Turns out BA falcons are laughably bad mechanically compared to a VZ/VE commy.
In what way? Do you mean the leaf spring rear end on the Falcon?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Powershift posted:

They're probably just going to say "that was old GM, we're new GM, an entirely different company, tough poo poo"

Got the death by ignition recall done on my car.

They said they'd mail proof it'd been done (never showed up). They entered the work done as "ELECTRICAL; Repair" (that's the entirety of what they typed) into their own system, which updated GM Owner Center with that. They also put the wrong mileage (off by 3k) in that entry. Can't get my service advisor to respond to email or phone calls asking about the receipt he said he'd mail (it was to be mailed as the cashier was "busy" when my car was ready, according to the SA - and since I'd been waiting over 2 hours when I was told it'd take 45 minutes, and was dodging their sales guys nonstop just trying to walk to get lunch while they had my car, I was more than ready to GTFO).

I was kind of hoping to have proof of that for whenever I sell the car. Probably more of a lovely dealer, but it still reflects on GM more than a bit.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I'm literally just now realizing that the monthly threads are the new misc chat threads..

Regarding Rhyno's crappy neighbors a few pages back, I know that feel bro. My wife and I lived in a decent little apartment complex together for around two years before it turned into a drug den. Dudes selling pills and whatever else in the stairwells, a shootout in the parking lot, my old XJ being broken into and the stereo and my crappy subs being stolen, it was a hellhole.

A few months ago we moved into a trailer my dad had bought several years ago to rent out. Yes, it's a trailer and it's in a park, but it's temporary, quiet, the neighbors are almost all old folks and I don't have nearly as much trouble falling asleep after I come in working nights.

This evil bastard clawed up my fat kitteh then decided he was the wounded party after I busted his kitty pants.

I have to see this awesome MJ every morning during my work run. Dammit.

The loudmouthed stupid maintenance guy at work managed to burn a two week old truck to the ground. Heh.

My Jeep has cancer.

These geese make me late every night for work.

Oil changin my cancerous Jeep. drat you Chrysler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Cat Terrist posted:

It's an enormous turd. Like, literally one of the worst cars of the time, that and the Terios need to die in a nuclear fire

I have no doubt that they are poo poo. I just kinda like the looks of them and the novelty of actually seeing one in the wild.

• Locked thread